View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 22nd, 2014, 3:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Shaun Hill 
Varsity Captain

Post Shaun Hill
It can't just be me, so with the QB situation in the NFL and now that the trade deadline has past, why the hell did we not offer Hill up for some picks?

He has proven that he can be a starting QB in the NFL, he has given better sevice than we could have asked for out of our backup and deserves a chance to start for somebody.

His name never came up in trade talks even though he is the best back up in the league. Name someone better. It can't be done logically. We should have given him a shot and got some desperately needed picks in the trade.

jmo

October 29th, 2013, 6:43 pm
Team MVP

Post Re: Shaun Hill
But what could we possibly get for him? Hes a great back up, so why give him up? If Staff goes down, we're screwed. IMO, depth sucks on this team, so no sense in giving away what little "quality" depth we have at a position.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

October 29th, 2013, 7:59 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Wow, that would be really dumb.

If Stafford goes on IR, yeah the Lions are done, but if he just gets banged up and can't go for a week or two? Shaun Hill could step in and keep the season going.

For other teams, it is insane to try to bring in a QB in the middle of the season -- calls, signals, rapport with receivers, etc. QBs have to be there from camp on, otherwise it's hopeless.

October 29th, 2013, 8:41 pm
RIP Killer

The rams are starting Keller Clemons for gods sake. Of course they could have gotten a pick for hill. Realistically, a 5th and at an eye-poppingly best, a 4th

October 29th, 2013, 9:21 pm
League MVP

Boz wrote:
It can't just be me, so with the QB situation in the NFL and now that the trade deadline has past, why the hell did we not offer Hill up for some picks?

He has proven that he can be a starting QB in the NFL, he has given better sevice than we could have asked for out of our backup and deserves a chance to start for somebody.

His name never came up in trade talks even though he is the best back up in the league. Name someone better. It can't be done logically. We should have given him a shot and got some desperately needed picks in the trade.

jmo

maybe they could have considered trading hill if they had a reliable backup but moore is just a developing player. i liked the thaddeus lewis signing when it happened but he didnt get a fair shot in camp and is now holding up as at least viable backup material in buffalo.

still i dont think hill was tradeable at this point unless a good team without a quality backup lost its starter. the rams realistically are out so why should they trade resources just for someone to wind down the season? most of the teams down in the standings arent going to be made dramatically better with shaun hill so its not really worth there time.

October 29th, 2013, 9:57 pm
RIP Killer

The Legend wrote:
Boz wrote:

jmo

maybe they could have considered trading hill if they had a reliable backup but moore is just a developing player. i liked the thaddeus lewis signing when it happened but he didnt get a fair shot in camp and is now holding up as at least viable backup material in buffalo.

still i dont think hill was tradeable at this point unless a good team without a quality backup lost its starter. the rams realistically are out so why should they trade resources just for someone to wind down the season? most of the teams down in the standings arent going to be made dramatically better with shaun hill so its not really worth there time.

I am riding the fence on this one. I like the comfort that comes from having Shaun Hill as a backup. But it would be nice to pick up a mid rounder in exchange for him, if at all possible. I'm sure a team that has some QB issues but still feels they have a shot at making the playoffs would be interested, and could pop a fourth rounder or better our way for him. One reason I would be somewhat comfortable sending Shaun Hill to another team is because Kellen Moore played really well in the pre-season. But with the Lions in position to get into the playoffs, it would be foolish to allow the safety net of Hill to leave the roster for a draft pick that may or may not get us a quality player.

I guess keeping Hill is the safer way of moving forward. Besides, getting him only cost us a 7th rounder anyway.

October 29th, 2013, 11:03 pm
Red Shirt Freshman

It's easy to see him warming the bench and say that we should get something for him--until Stafford has to miss 2 or 3 otherwise winnable games. I suppose I'd let him go for a 1st or 2nd round pick. I'd much prefer to see them try to move Mikel Leshoure for something.

October 29th, 2013, 11:51 pm
NFL Veteran

I don't see any way Kellen Moore could actually play against a teams number 1s. His arm strength is almost nonexistent and most of his throws during the preseason looked like ducks. He is in no way a legit back up and I wouldn't let go of Hill unless they had someone that was at least a potential back-up.

October 30th, 2013, 2:23 am
RIP Killer

boy I'd sure hate the game come down to a big hit to Staff needing our backup to come in and win a game in the 4th to make the playoffs and we traded Hill away for a late round draft pick.

I don't think you can underestimate the importance of a backup QB in the NFL.

October 30th, 2013, 10:28 am
Profile WWW
Heisman Winner

So.. Lets say you actually succeed in trading Shaun Hill for Doug Houge. Then who will the callers to the radio shows clamor for when Staff only throws 3 TDs in a game?

November 4th, 2013, 9:57 pm
RIP Killer

jrd66 wrote:
So.. Lets say you actually succeed in trading Shaun Hill for Doug Houge. Then who will the callers to the radio shows clamor for when Staff only throws 3 TDs in a game?

Trade Shaun Hill for who?

November 4th, 2013, 10:42 pm
RIP Killer

rao wrote:
I don't see any way Kellen Moore could actually play against a teams number 1s. His arm strength is almost nonexistent and most of his throws during the preseason looked like ducks. He is in no way a legit back up and I wouldn't let go of Hill unless they had someone that was at least a potential back-up.

I don't see where you say his throws during the pre-season were ducks. I can recall the commentators consistently speaking of how much his arm strength seemed to have improved over his rookie season. I even took notice of how well he was zinging the ball down the field, even on the 10 and 15 yard outs. Granted, he still doesn't have a cannon like Stafford, but there have been more than a few successful NFL QBs that were able to get it done without that strong of an arm.

November 4th, 2013, 10:47 pm
League MVP

m2karateman wrote:
rao wrote:

I don't see where you say his throws during the pre-season were ducks. I can recall the commentators consistently speaking of how much his arm strength seemed to have improved over his rookie season. I even took notice of how well he was zinging the ball down the field, even on the 10 and 15 yard outs. Granted, he still doesn't have a cannon like Stafford, but there have been more than a few successful NFL QBs that were able to get it done without that strong of an arm.

moore definitely looked better this preseason, was decisive about where he was going with the ball and pretty accurate. his arm strength didnt look great but it was better and i agree its not fair to call all his throws ducks...on the other hand, is he really better than thad lewis who the lions traded for a box of cereal? im not so sure...

November 5th, 2013, 12:55 am
NFL Veteran

m2karateman wrote:
rao wrote:

The only thing Moore throws that look good is the short stuff. He looked better, but even his good throws don't have a good velocity to them. Staring level DBs will be able to pluck his throws out of the air with ease if he throws anything past 15 yards. You can also throw out any YAC because by the time the ball gets to the WR the Defense has had enough time to close in on him. The kid just doesn't have an NFL arm and even the guys that have made it in the NFL with weak arms had the mental part of the game he doesn't come even remotely close too. For all the complaints people have about the offense when they throw the ball short of the first down, I'm not sure how anyone could be happy with Moore as a back up.

November 5th, 2013, 12:10 pm
Heisman Winner

m2karateman wrote:
jrd66 wrote:

Trade Shaun Hill for who?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/6857 ... in-round-5

It wasn't that long ago...

November 5th, 2013, 10:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next