View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 5:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Report: Jonathan Martin “gone AWOL” from Dolphins 
Rookie Player of the Year

Post Report: Jonathan Martin “gone AWOL” from Dolphins
Yikes...hope the guy is ok (and secretly glad we didn't draft him :-$ )

Quote:
Report: Jonathan Martin “gone AWOL” from Dolphins
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -dolphins/
Posted by Michael David Smith on October 30, 2013, 6:11 PM EDT

Jay Glazer of FOX Sports reports that Martin has “gone AWOL from the team the last couple days.”

Glazer said Martin had an incident in the team cafeteria this week in which teammates jokingly said they wouldn’t sit with him, and that Martin’s reaction to the joke was that he “flipped out, smashed a food tray on the ground, took off, and they haven’t seen him since.”

The Dolphins have listed Martin as doubtful for Thursday night’s game against the Bengals with an “illness” but have refused to divulge anything else about his status. Glazer also reported that Martin has gone into a treatment facility, but it is not clear what type of treatment Martin is receiving. Glazer said rumors that Martin had a confrontation with Dolphins offensive coordinator Mike Sherman are incorrect.

Asked about Martin’s absence from practice today, Dolphins coach Joe Philbin told reporters that he would only discuss the players who practiced with the team today. Martin did not practice with the team today, and may not be with the team any time soon.

Permalink 28 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, Top Stories

October 30th, 2013, 10:39 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Report: Jonathan Martin “gone AWOL” from Dolphins
For me it's no secret....I'm GLAD we didn't draft him.

October 31st, 2013, 10:38 am
Team MVP

m2karateman wrote:
For me it's no secret....I'm GLAD we didn't draft him.

Oh absolutely. Never saw the hype with him to begin with.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

October 31st, 2013, 8:03 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

he s a decent enough player though, this emotional issue seems bizarre and as far as i remember he didnt have known character issues. wonder why they are making fun of him over there in miami.

November 1st, 2013, 6:24 am
RIP Killer

The Legend wrote:
he s a decent enough player though, this emotional issue seems bizarre and as far as i remember he didnt have known character issues. wonder why they are making fun of him over there in miami.

They weren't really making fun of him. It was just typical prank stuff that goes on in a football team. They were in the cafeteria, and nobody would sit by him. As people kept avoiding sitting near him, he eventually lost it.

As a player, he did fine at RT last year. He struggled big time at LT to start this season, so they moved him back to RT. I'm glad the Lions didn't select him, because we really needed the guy that would replace Backus, and found him. The knock on Martin out of college, and why he slipped in the draft, was because he didn't have great feet, and benefitted from playing with Andrew Luck as his QB.

November 1st, 2013, 11:30 am

m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:

They weren't really making fun of him. It was just typical prank stuff that goes on in a football team. They were in the cafeteria, and nobody would sit by him. As people kept avoiding sitting near him, he eventually lost it.

As a player, he did fine at RT last year. He struggled big time at LT to start this season, so they moved him back to RT. I'm glad the Lions didn't select him, because we really needed the guy that would replace Backus, and found him. The knock on Martin out of college, and why he slipped in the draft, was because he didn't have great feet, and benefitted from playing with Andrew Luck as his QB.

thats not what it sounds like to me. i get the impression someone or group has been bullying martin for a while and he finally cracked after this last prank

November 3rd, 2013, 1:38 pm
RIP Killer

The Legend wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:

thats not what it sounds like to me. i get the impression someone or group has been bullying martin for a while and he finally cracked after this last prank

Yeah, with all the additional information now coming out, it sounds to me like things have gotten out of hand down in Miami. And to me, that falls directly on the coach.

November 3rd, 2013, 11:09 pm
Varsity Captain

Voice mails with racial slurs, statements like " I'm going to ***** in your mouth and " I'm going to kill you", are way beyond hazing! They may even be found to be criminal. This certainly does not mean that Martin has character issues, as a matter of fact he showed great restaint by not trying to break someone's neck.

Obviously Martin is smart, he kept the voice and e-mails (and graduated from Stanford). He might be Joe Thomas but OT's like Fisher, Joekel and Martin have all struggled. Martin is better that anybody we have that's not named Reiff (maybe even him). I'd try to get him for a conditional 3rd or a 4th and a 7th. In the right enviroment(sp?) he could become a solid player and could even go farther.

Even though our coaching staff is questionable at best, I don't see anything like this being allowed by our players in our lockeroom.

Bring Martin here, it may be a gamble but it has a possibilility of very high returns.

November 6th, 2013, 4:39 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Where is there criminal activity? Even racial slurs are still protected under the first amendment. They can't give you jail time for it. And even the threats or harassment would be misdemeanors with no jail time.

And while Incognito was completely in the wrong, Martin just walking away and leaving wasn't the way to handle it. If you don't stand up to people, you're going to continue being a victim. The entire mentality in this country about how to handle bullies is backwards. Suspensions for both attacker and defender in fights among the other attempts never solve the issues. I was bullied as a kid and until I punched the bully, they always kept coming. As soon as they saw I wasn't going to stand for it, they moved on.

If you don't stand up for yourself, you will never earn their respect. Bullies have their own issues on why they become that way. The problem with this country is they always try to solve the symptoms of problems and never fix the real problems. Mental health, issues with parenting, etc.. nope, let's ignore those and only address the symptoms which end up effecting more people that don't have those issues.

November 6th, 2013, 5:17 pm

Im sorry but im very much on the fence here with this. Incognito said some really inappropriate things, no doubts, but what we saw in print could have been meant in a totally different manner that you could only tell from the tone of his voice, and demener when speaking.

lets be honest,...do any of us have freinds that we havnt threatened with bodily harm or death....but in a totally joking manner? I bet that if the exact words you used to threaten them were put into print you wouldnt sound nearly as funny.

We can talk a about proper behavior in the workplace untill we are blue in the face, but lets be honest...their workplace is nothing like ours. when the best performing coworkers around you are also the most agressive...these kinds of things are going to be said...regularly. we have no idea the INTENT behind said voicemail. Maybe Martin didnt show up to a night out with the boys and this was the harrassment he got for being a no show ( would explain the rediculousness of what was said AND the laughter). Maybe Incognito DOES want to kill him.... we simply dont know yet. What really put me into doubt about it was the Text (tweets..whatever) between Incognito and Martin with Martin saying "yeah you and I are cool, sometimes the locker room stuff just gets to me". if he fealt threated how would that EVER be his response to the guy threatening him AFTER he basically quit already and no longer has to deal with him? it doesnt make sense IMO.

I would advise waiting a lil bit longer before deciding who's the good guy/douchebag in this one. This all COULD be good natured meathead/fratboy styled ribbing that fell on a VERY emotionally immature person who just didnt know how to handle it. I do not want the kid on my team untill I KNOW thats not the case is al i'm saying.

November 6th, 2013, 5:32 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Incognito is a piece of sh**.

November 6th, 2013, 5:36 pm

Hartline's pissed because he said Martin was passing around the voicemail earlier in the year and laughing about it.

That does change everything.

November 6th, 2013, 6:47 pm
Hall of Fame Player

It just keeps getting worse. The other day, I was at a restaurant, and the O'Rielly Report was on the TV. He said that Martin reported this was happening to someone, ( I can't remember who he said was told), last season.

And now on our local newscast tonight, they reported that Incognito was told by his coaches to toughen up Martin.

It's starting to sound like the coaching staff not only knew about it, but, actually put Incognito up to doing it.

November 6th, 2013, 7:15 pm

Something is still gonna drop... When his teammates say that if you asked him last week who his best friend is, Martin would say Incognito and this voicemail is from last year, and he was passing it around laughing at it, there's something not being said. It's telling that a lot of the locker room is supporting Incognito. Normally if this was something clear cut, they'd all be on Martin's side. Something happened recently that hasn't come out yet. Something set Martin off that wasn't the voicemail. Using the voicemail from a year ago, that teammates knew about for all that time seems like it's trying to paint the media impression.

I'm not giving anyone a pass here, but it just seems like something else is going on here.

November 7th, 2013, 9:34 am
RIP Killer

Listen to the teammates, they say the two were best of friends just a week or two ago and always together. They seem to be backing Incognito.

Friends can talk a certain way together, but taken out of context of that friendship it could sound horrible. I remember being in my 20's and my friends and I would just rip the crap out of each other, things that sounded horrible, taken out of that context I'm sure my Jewish slurs to my best friend would be very offensive - my friend loved them and fired right back.

Let's not be too quick to judge either side just yet unless we are going to subscribe to the guilty until proven innocent way of thinking.

November 7th, 2013, 9:35 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next