View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 21st, 2014, 8:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Rookie Watch. 
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post Re: Rookie Watch.
rao wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
conversion02 wrote:
If any TE is trade bait, it's scheffler

i would agree

+1

Scheffler and Fauria are the same basic type of receiving TE. Pettigrew is considered more versatile.

Still...I wouldn't mind seeing Pettigrew dropping passes for some other team next season.

All the more reason for us to try and trade him. even if we only get a 6th, or maybe back up LB'r or something that at least gives us value. I would personally prefer NOT to have Pett as a Lion next year.

They have no one to replace him, so getting a 6th rounder does nothing except hurt the team this season to have a guy on the practice squad next season. Even with his drops and the occasional fumble he still makes the team better when he's on the field. Next year they can hopefully find a better option in the draft or free agency which will allow them to let him walk.

If all he is going to do is be a blocker, there is no reason whatsoever to not have Waddle get some play time and expierience doing it for him. Then next year draft a blocking TE that can occationally touch the ball without putting it on the ground.

September 12th, 2013, 4:14 pm
RIP Killer

regularjoe12 wrote:
rao wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

i would agree

+1

Scheffler and Fauria are the same basic type of receiving TE. Pettigrew is considered more versatile.

Still...I wouldn't mind seeing Pettigrew dropping passes for some other team next season.

All the more reason for us to try and trade him. even if we only get a 6th, or maybe back up LB'r or something that at least gives us value. I would personally prefer NOT to have Pett as a Lion next year.

They have no one to replace him, so getting a 6th rounder does nothing except hurt the team this season to have a guy on the practice squad next season. Even with his drops and the occasional fumble he still makes the team better when he's on the field. Next year they can hopefully find a better option in the draft or free agency which will allow them to let him walk.

If all he is going to do is be a blocker, there is no reason whatsoever to not have Waddle get some play time and expierience doing it for him. Then next year draft a blocking TE that can occationally touch the ball without putting it on the ground.

Well, in all fairness, LaAdrian Waddle is NOT a tight end. And since tight ends have more versatility than an offensive tackle, meaning that the defense has to respect the ability of the TE to break off the line and run a pattern, it's not really a fair swap. If all the Lions would get is a sixth round pick, I'd prefer they just let him play out his final season on this deal and let him go in free agency. Getting his stone hands and cap number off the payroll is justification enough. If they found some team so desperate this year before the trade deadline that said team would give up a fourth rounder or more, then I'd say do the deal and find a blocking tight end that is still unemployed. Blocking tight ends are a dime a dozen, and I'm sure one is sitting at home waiting for a phone call right now. They could even bring Shaun Chapas back and use him as their blocker at tight end.

And let's not forget...some team out there may have a blocking tight end on their practice squad we could sign.

September 12th, 2013, 5:15 pm
NFL Veteran

There is a big difference between putting a blocking TE or Waddle out there and having a guy like Pett out there that can be a threat as a receiver. People can moan and complain all day about his drops, but the defense still can't let him roam free. Last year was his first year having the fumbling issue, so I would give it a few games before we say it's going to be a problem again this year. He wasn't the only player making dumb mistakes in that game and it's pretty common to see sloppy play in week 1. I still want to see him go after the season, but it would be a mistake to do anything like that right now and even more so if they keep the winning going.

Edit: Forgot to add that if the team starts a slide then I totally agree to move him for anything they can get.

September 12th, 2013, 5:58 pm
Hall of Fame Player

regularjoe12 wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

i would agree

+1

It would be absolutely retarded of us to trade him for a 6th round pick. We could let him walk as a FA and get a 3rd round comp pick for him.

September 13th, 2013, 6:58 pm
Team MVP

Shoot, id take a 6th round pick for him. San Fran traded a 6th rounder to get Boldin who has caught more passes in one game them Pettigrew seems to catch in a season (not really, but still), and plus it would ensure he isnt re-signed for next year and beyond, which I think is going to happen unfortunately. Dont ask me why, but I just see it happening.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

September 14th, 2013, 2:08 pm
League MVP

BillySims wrote:
I just looked at the Lions roster and noticed that we have 8 rookies on the 53 man roster and 5 of them are playing key rolls for us.

1. Ansah - In the regular DE rotation.
2. Fauria - More targets than Pettigrew in Game 1.
3. Martin - Does all the punts and Kicks off.
4. Riddick - I think he was inactive for game 1.
5. Slay - Starting #2 CB - Won't take long and he will be the #1 CB.
6. Taylor - I didn't hear his name called, ( I listened on Sirius/XM Radio to game 1.) Did he play?
7. Waddle - I don't think he played. Not sure if he was in the active 46.
8. Warford - Starter RG. Radio guys credited him with opening a couple of huge holes for Reggie.

Game 1 impressions of the rookies:

1. Ansah - he got some pressures. But, nothing too impressive. I think he was credited with half a sack.
2. Fauria - Very impressed 1 game, 1 TD.
3. Martin - started rough, finished strong.
4. Slay - About what I expected from a rookie CB in his 1st game.
5. Warford - This is the guy I wanted the Lions to get in the 3rd round and was thrilled that they got him. I am even more thrilled that in the 1st game at least, he is doing as well as I could have hoped for.

might as well bring this back since its the bye at the half way mark.

1. Ansah - He s not embarassing himself, plays with strength and hustles. Still needs to learn the game and in particular his technique and what to expect in certain game situations. I think he has a bright future and though he hasnt maybe made quite the impact you would like from a top 5 pick he probably will pay off big later on and at least he s filling a starter's role and is better than the team leader (KVB) that he replaced. Not really a project as some (I) thought he might be but has the upside others thought he d have. B+
2. Slay - He s been beaten badly on a few occassions but I think thats part of the learning curve. What bothers me the most is how much of a finesse player he is. Whether its vs the run, tackling a receiver or whatever he just seems to really shy away from contact. His coverage is improving and I think he ll be productive but Im not sure he s physical enough to be a good starting corner in the NFL. D+
3. Warford - He s maybe had the biggest impact of the newcomers. Him and Raiola play well together vs the run, they can move NT and still get a body on the MLB. Warford is coming back to earth a little bit the last month but he was well worth the draft selection and starting immediately means he s saving them cap space that normally would go to a veteran. A
4. Taylor - I had some major doubts on Taylor as he looked like a lost clueless player in college despite obvious physical traits for the NFL. He s playing more now and is outplaying Israel Idonije as an end though Israel still has value bc he ll rush from DT also. Taylor isnt getting a lot of pressure but seems to understand the position well and can play pretty firm on the edge. B-
5. Martin - He has the big leg fairly consistently except for one big shank. His directional and placement kicks may need some work but when they do this kid will be the defense's best friend and will allow the offense to be more aggressive. The talent is definitely there. B+
6. Riddick - Lions working him in a little bit more on offense. He s leapfrogged ahead of LeSHoure for playing time and he s playing a lot of special teams. More than what the Lions typically get from a late pick. C+
7. M. Williams - could be a poor man s pettigrew one day but out with a hand injury. Incomplete
8. Hepburn - projects as a special teamer but the Lions have liked him enough to keep on the PS. Incomplete
9. Fauria - anytime you get a guy after the draft that is better than a 10 yr vet you ve found a gem. A
10. Waddle - undrafted tackle stepping in to start and holding his own. watch out Fox and hiliard your days as Lions are numbered. A
11. Fuller - forgot him but he s a project on the PS. The bad news might be that he seems to be behind a lot of guys - new signings Ogletree and Ross are active and contributing. Durham who was a cut candidate has developed and made some plays and projects to being on the team into the future and is young. Even Pat Edwards who was cut is back on the practice squad. Fuller seems to be buried deep in the depth chart and the Lions have shown if they need a WR to play they'd rather grab a guy from the street than play Fuller. Inc

Overall - An upgrade starter at DE, a parttime starter at CB, a big upgrade starter at G, a part time starter at RT who projects well there into the future and may have just secured a longtime starting position, a rotational player at DE, a developing red zone target receiving TE, a special teams contributo and a couple projects. Pretty damn good. A-, with a chance for more if Ansah develops into a stud in a year or two.

October 31st, 2013, 9:59 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

The Legend wrote:
BillySims wrote:
I just looked at the Lions roster and noticed that we have 8 rookies on the 53 man roster and 5 of them are playing key rolls for us.

1. Ansah - In the regular DE rotation.
2. Fauria - More targets than Pettigrew in Game 1.
3. Martin - Does all the punts and Kicks off.
4. Riddick - I think he was inactive for game 1.
5. Slay - Starting #2 CB - Won't take long and he will be the #1 CB.
6. Taylor - I didn't hear his name called, ( I listened on Sirius/XM Radio to game 1.) Did he play?
7. Waddle - I don't think he played. Not sure if he was in the active 46.
8. Warford - Starter RG. Radio guys credited him with opening a couple of huge holes for Reggie.

Game 1 impressions of the rookies:

1. Ansah - he got some pressures. But, nothing too impressive. I think he was credited with half a sack.
2. Fauria - Very impressed 1 game, 1 TD.
3. Martin - started rough, finished strong.
4. Slay - About what I expected from a rookie CB in his 1st game.
5. Warford - This is the guy I wanted the Lions to get in the 3rd round and was thrilled that they got him. I am even more thrilled that in the 1st game at least, he is doing as well as I could have hoped for.

might as well bring this back since its the bye at the half way mark.

1. Ansah - He s not embarassing himself, plays with strength and hustles. Still needs to learn the game and in particular his technique and what to expect in certain game situations. I think he has a bright future and though he hasnt maybe made quite the impact you would like from a top 5 pick he probably will pay off big later on and at least he s filling a starter's role and is better than the team leader (KVB) that he replaced. Not really a project as some (I) thought he might be but has the upside others thought he d have. B+
2. Slay - He s been beaten badly on a few occassions but I think thats part of the learning curve. What bothers me the most is how much of a finesse player he is. Whether its vs the run, tackling a receiver or whatever he just seems to really shy away from contact. His coverage is improving and I think he ll be productive but Im not sure he s physical enough to be a good starting corner in the NFL. D+
3. Warford - He s maybe had the biggest impact of the newcomers. Him and Raiola play well together vs the run, they can move NT and still get a body on the MLB. Warford is coming back to earth a little bit the last month but he was well worth the draft selection and starting immediately means he s saving them cap space that normally would go to a veteran. A
4. Taylor - I had some major doubts on Taylor as he looked like a lost clueless player in college despite obvious physical traits for the NFL. He s playing more now and is outplaying Israel Idonije as an end though Israel still has value bc he ll rush from DT also. Taylor isnt getting a lot of pressure but seems to understand the position well and can play pretty firm on the edge. B-
5. Martin - He has the big leg fairly consistently except for one big shank. His directional and placement kicks may need some work but when they do this kid will be the defense's best friend and will allow the offense to be more aggressive. The talent is definitely there. B+
6. Riddick - Lions working him in a little bit more on offense. He s leapfrogged ahead of LeSHoure for playing time and he s playing a lot of special teams. More than what the Lions typically get from a late pick. C+
7. M. Williams - could be a poor man s pettigrew one day but out with a hand injury. Incomplete
8. Hepburn - projects as a special teamer but the Lions have liked him enough to keep on the PS. Incomplete
9. Fauria - anytime you get a guy after the draft that is better than a 10 yr vet you ve found a gem. A
10. Waddle - undrafted tackle stepping in to start and holding his own. watch out Fox and hiliard your days as Lions are numbered. A
11. Fuller - forgot him but he s a project on the PS. The bad news might be that he seems to be behind a lot of guys - new signings Ogletree and Ross are active and contributing. Durham who was a cut candidate has developed and made some plays and projects to being on the team into the future and is young. Even Pat Edwards who was cut is back on the practice squad. Fuller seems to be buried deep in the depth chart and the Lions have shown if they need a WR to play they'd rather grab a guy from the street than play Fuller. Inc

Overall - An upgrade starter at DE, a parttime starter at CB, a big upgrade starter at G, a part time starter at RT who projects well there into the future and may have just secured a longtime starting position, a rotational player at DE, a developing red zone target receiving TE, a special teams contributo and a couple projects. Pretty damn good. A-, with a chance for more if Ansah develops into a stud in a year or two.

Good breakdown. With Ansah, you also have to take into consideration what's happening with those tackles people were so upset we weren't able to draft:

Quote:
Five offensive tackles were taken in the first 20 picks of this year’s NFL draft. So far, none are living up to expectations. Eric Fisher, taken first overall, has been a mistake magnate in Kansas City. He’s shown flawed technique too many times, both in run blocking and pass protection. Second overall pick Luke Joeckel fractured his ankle in Jacksonville’s fifth game. Fourth overall pick Lane Johnson has great athleticism but isn’t using it, and he’s also blown too many assignments in Philadelphia. The eleventh pick, D.J. Fluker, has shown disconcertingly slow feet in San Diego’s passing game. Justin Pugh, No. 19, is still trying to find his confidence in pass protection after getting dominated by bull-rushers in his first few starts. The Giants’ right tackle has also had mental mistakes in the running game, though he’s lately shown some improvement there.
http://mmqb.si.com/2013/10/30/nfl-offen ... ion-value/

Other guys taken in the top 10 aren't exactly lighting the world on fire. Mingo currently has one more sack, but he wouldn't have fit our system anyways. The first round picks this year have been very underwhelming; at least we got a guy with upside.

I also feel a bit better about Slay's struggles when I see what's happening with Milliner in NY. I think that's just a tough position to jump into as a rookie.

November 1st, 2013, 9:36 am
Rookie Player of the Year

December 2nd, 2013, 11:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2