View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 21st, 2014, 11:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 NFCN wide open now? 
RIP Killer

Post NFCN wide open now?
Aaron Rogers is out for the remainder of the Chicago game tonight, and he may have an injury that will keep him out for a number of weeks. With Cutler not slated to return for a couple more weeks, and the possibility that Green Bay will be without Rogers for a couple weeks or more, does this mean the Lions have a wide open door to take the NFCN division title this year?

Thoughts?

November 4th, 2013, 10:40 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Post Re: NFCN wide open now?
NFCN is ours if Rodgers is out for an extended period of time, and they can't sign anyone decent. Bears look terrible.

Matt Flynn was waived today though.

November 4th, 2013, 11:04 pm
RIP Killer

Cutler may be back next week for the lions game

November 4th, 2013, 11:42 pm
League MVP

clavicle fracture on the left side. will be interesting to see what they decide to do with it. might be able to get back earlier if they stabilize that injury with surgery in the next couple of days but generally its a bone that tends to heal quickly and reliably anyway

November 5th, 2013, 12:58 am
RIP Killer

m2karateman wrote:
Aaron Rogers is out for the remainder of the Chicago game tonight, and he may have an injury that will keep him out for a number of weeks. With Cutler not slated to return for a couple more weeks, and the possibility that Green Bay will be without Rogers for a couple weeks or more, does this mean the Lions have a wide open door to take the NFCN division title this year?

Thoughts?

Even with the injuries, the Bears and Packers are probably the two scariest games left on the schedule - Pitt (2-6), Tampa (0-8), Philly (4-5), Balt (3-5), NYG (2-6), Minn (1-7). What does that tell you?

November 5th, 2013, 9:53 am
Profile WWW
QB Coach

I don't think the Lions will see a better chance to win their division than this. Everything is set up for them. Obviously anything can happen (injuries, etc.), but in terms of being in a good position and having the rest of the schedule be favorable, this is about as good as it gets. If they play up to their potential, or even close to it, they should win the division.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

November 5th, 2013, 10:41 am
Modmin Dude

PFT wrote:
Report: Initial tests suggest Rodgers will miss about three weeks
Posted by Michael David Smith on November 5, 2013, 9:04 AM EST

The Packers have not stated definitively what type of injury quarterback Aaron Rodgers suffered on Monday night, and they’re not expected to have any announcement until he undergoes further tests today. But at the moment, it looks like Rodgers will miss about three weeks.

That’s the word from Adam Schefter of ESPN, who reports that initial tests showed a small fracture in Rodgers’ collarbone. The Packers’ medical staff will put Rodgers through a more thorough investigation today.

If Rodgers does miss three weeks, that would mean he’s out for Sunday against the Eagles, Week 11 at the Giants and Week 12 against the Vikings. He’d then be a close call to return for the Packers’ Thanksgiving game at Detroit, a game in which first place in the NFC North may be on the line.

Obviously, any injury to Rodgers is very bad news for the Packers, but given that schedule, the Packers may actually breathe a sigh of relief if Rodgers only misses three games. It’s not unrealistic to think Green Bay could go 2-1 against the Eagles, Giants and Vikings without Rodgers, and if they get Rodgers back and complete a season sweep of the Lions on Thanksgiving, they’ll be in very good shape in their division heading into December.

However, a report from Ed Werder of ESPN sounded less optimistic. Although Werder’s source said there’s simply no way to know about Rodgers’ status based on the tests that have been done so far, that source said, “It doesn’t look good. This is the one we couldn’t afford to lose.”

No injury to Rodgers looks good. But if the tests today confirm that Rodgers is out three weeks, the Packers would still have every reason to be optimistic about the rest of the season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ree-weeks/

November 5th, 2013, 10:56 am

Unless the Lions get hit by their own major injuries, I think you have to say it would be disappointing for them not to win the division.

November 5th, 2013, 12:40 pm
RIP Killer

We've had the healthiest QB situation in the NFL North the past 2.5 seasons - 40 straight starts for Staff an counting. Remember when Zack Follett called him "a china doll?"

The Vikes QB situation has been a mess. Cutler has missed half a season in that time. Rodgers now has a fractured collar bone.

I can't believe the Lions actually have a stud QB who stays healthy!!!

(knocking on wood as I type)

BTW - do you think the Lions (or another contender) should claim Matt Flynn (who was just waived by the Bills) off waivers before the Pack can snatch him up? I haven't looked into the salary cap situation, but if Rodgers is going to be out for more than 3-4 weeks this could be big coup for the Lions, Bears, Panthers, etc.

November 5th, 2013, 3:41 pm
Profile WWW

Snatching Flynn would be the mark of a true tactician.

November 5th, 2013, 4:13 pm
RIP Killer

I like that idea. Grab Flynn, waive Moore.

November 5th, 2013, 4:50 pm
3rd Round Selection

The Packers would, apparently, have priority over us on any waiver claim. Same record, but their strength of schedule has been tougher, so they get priority.

November 6th, 2013, 6:11 am
RIP Killer

UK Lion wrote:
The Packers would, apparently, have priority over us on any waiver claim. Same record, but their strength of schedule has been tougher, so they get priority.

Are you sure about that? I thought that since the Packers beat us, they would be behind us in that department. Also, if they have a tougher strength of schedule, it would put them behind us as well, not in front of us.

I thought that's how this works.

November 6th, 2013, 11:41 am
Modmin Dude

PFT wrote:
Report: Rodgers likely to miss 4-6 weeks
Posted by Mike Florio on November 6, 2013, 11:01 AM EST

On last night’s edition of Pro Football Talk on NBCSN, we addressed the expected duration of Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers‘ absence due to a broken collarbone, given ESPN has reported that Rodgers is expected to miss three weeks.

Though I admitted that I’m neither a doctor nor play one on TV nor stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night or ever (there goes the potential Holiday Inn Express endorsement), I have access to Google and Google tells me the expected healing time for a fractured collarbone is 4-6 weeks.

Mike Garafolo of FOX Sports has subsequently reported that Rodgers is expected to miss 4-6 weeks.

While NFL players often display the ability to heal faster than non-athletes, the ability of human bones to heal doesn’t vary much based on profession or fitness level.

So 4-6 weeks it is, and the real question is whether Rodgers can be ready a few days short of four weeks, so that he can play on Thanksgiving when the Packers visit the Lions.

In an unrelated development, FOX has delivered a case of calcium supplements to Rodgers.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... 4-6-weeks/

November 6th, 2013, 12:40 pm
3rd Round Selection

m2karateman wrote:
UK Lion wrote:

Are you sure about that? I thought that since the Packers beat us, they would be behind us in that department. Also, if they have a tougher strength of schedule, it would put them behind us as well, not in front of us.

I thought that's how this works.

It's mentioned here that strength of schedule is used for waiver claim priority tie breaking: http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-engl ... -in-effect

Quote:
To break a tie between teams with the same record, the record of opponents already played is tabulated. If two teams have the same record, whichever has played the superior opponents (based on won-loss record) will have priority. If two teams have the same record and same won-loss record among opponents, a coin-flip will be used to break a tie.

Makes sense - it's what is used in the draft as well (http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures - see at the bottom). When it's a league wide I can see why they use a more generic tie breaking procedure.

November 6th, 2013, 1:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next