View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 16th, 2014, 5:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 NFCN wide open now? 
Player of the Year - Defense

Post Re: NFCN wide open now?
Regardless he cleared waivers. Picking up a player off waivers means you pick up his salary and contract. No one was going to do that.

GB losing to bears just removed the cushion. Gb has a weak 2nd half schedule like us, but theirs is a little tougher in my eyes. We have Chi and GB, they have cake until us and Chi at home to end season. And without Rodgers, any easy game just became tougher.

The Lions do have an easy road, but it's on them to take advantage of it. We CAN beat any team left on the schedule, it always comes down to which team shows up. The overachieving or the underachieving one. Once they get consistent, i'll stop worrying about the easy games.

November 6th, 2013, 5:10 pm
RIP Killer

UK Lion wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
UK Lion wrote:
The Packers would, apparently, have priority over us on any waiver claim. Same record, but their strength of schedule has been tougher, so they get priority.

Are you sure about that? I thought that since the Packers beat us, they would be behind us in that department. Also, if they have a tougher strength of schedule, it would put them behind us as well, not in front of us.

I thought that's how this works.

It's mentioned here that strength of schedule is used for waiver claim priority tie breaking: http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-engl ... -in-effect

Quote:
To break a tie between teams with the same record, the record of opponents already played is tabulated. If two teams have the same record, whichever has played the superior opponents (based on won-loss record) will have priority. If two teams have the same record and same won-loss record among opponents, a coin-flip will be used to break a tie.

Makes sense - it's what is used in the draft as well (http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures - see at the bottom). When it's a league wide I can see why they use a more generic tie breaking procedure.

What's wierd is, that for the draft the NFL uses a different approach. If the draft were held today, we have two teams that are winless in Tampa Bay and Jacksonville that are going to be at the top. To determine who gets the first pick, they use the opponents W-L record of those teams. Right now Tampa Bay would get the first pick based on the fact that their opponents records equate to a 56.0 winning percentage versus a 56.4 winning percentage for the Jaguars. Hence, Tampa Bay has the same record against INFERIOR opponents who have not won as many games as the opponents for Jacksonville.

November 7th, 2013, 11:31 am
QB Coach

m2karateman wrote:
What's wierd is, that for the draft the NFL uses a different approach. If the draft were held today, we have two teams that are winless in Tampa Bay and Jacksonville that are going to be at the top. To determine who gets the first pick, they use the opponents W-L record of those teams. Right now Tampa Bay would get the first pick based on the fact that their opponents records equate to a 56.0 winning percentage versus a 56.4 winning percentage for the Jaguars. Hence, Tampa Bay has the same record against INFERIOR opponents who have not won as many games as the opponents for Jacksonville.

Doesn't that make sense though? Essentially if both teams have the same record, the team who has played the easier schedule is (in theory) the worse team since they couldn't even win more games despite playing worse opponents.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

November 7th, 2013, 4:24 pm
RIP Killer

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

Doesn't that make sense though? Essentially if both teams have the same record, the team who has played the easier schedule is (in theory) the worse team since they couldn't even win more games despite playing worse opponents.

Yes, it does make sense to me. But I guess for waiver claims if two teams have identical records, the team whose opponents have the higher winning percentage for the season is the one who gets first option. That's what doesn't make sense to me. The draft position determination makes much more sense.

November 8th, 2013, 12:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2