View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 2nd, 2014, 1:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Next up: Chicago Bears Part 2: Battle for NFC North 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Next up: Chicago Bears Part 2: Battle for NFC North
I'd love to see Devin Taylor start and have a strong game for us. Not necessarily rack up a bunch of sacks, but really create some pocket pressure that disrupts the Bears passing game and give the Lions coaches and fans some confidence in him being included in the rotation. I think he has the raw skills to be good, and at 6'8" he can certainly knock down some passes. If he's facing Bushrod, and is able to generate some pressure, that would be a good sign. On the opposite side, I want to see a little more out of Willie Young this week. Jordan Mills has been pretty good, but Young had a pretty strong game against him in the first meeting. I want to see even more pressures, and better play against the run from Willie.

If Taylor can play a strong game and be a quality backup, it negates the idea that the Lions will have to address the DE position in the off-season as a priority. If he isn't able to do much, the Lions could be forced to draft another DE early, or sign a quality free agent. I don't think Idonije plays another season for us, and Jason Jones should probably be played on a limited bases from now on.

November 7th, 2013, 3:47 pm
Walk On

They announced this afternoon that Cutler is starting, and was practicing fully.

November 7th, 2013, 5:24 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

I prefer Cutler. Suh does better again him anyway and with a torn groin not 100% healed his mobility won't be great.

November 7th, 2013, 6:58 pm
Walk On

njroar wrote:
I prefer Cutler. Suh does better again him anyway and with a torn groin not 100% healed his mobility won't be great.

You might be onto something, since his bad play led to 14-21 Lions points in the last Bears/Lions game. Overthrowing guys by 5 yards across the middle, and that silly jump pass ... yikes. It is true McCown wouldn't do that stuff.

Someone mentioned the DLine success in the last game - but it didn't look to me like that was an issue. I don't see why anyone would say the Bear Oline didn't do a reasonably good job last time vs the Lions. If the QB tries to hold the ball for 5 Mississippi backed up against his own goal line against a good D ... that's on the QB when it results in a FF/TD - that's not on the Oline. Cutler had adequate time, with the exception of 4-5 plays. He just didn't take advantage and had a bad game.

Anyway ... if your average starting field position is inside the opponents 40 ... you had better win, and it probably should be a blowout. Right?

I don't expect a repeat of that last game, but I do expect that the team with the most turnovers will lose.

All I know is, this game is important for both teams - because neither team wants to have to play their wild card game on the other team's home turf.

November 7th, 2013, 11:07 pm
Butkus Award Winner

I.E. wrote:
njroar wrote:

You might be onto something, since his bad play led to 14-21 Lions points in the last Bears/Lions game. Overthrowing guys by 5 yards across the middle, and that silly jump pass ... yikes. It is true McCown wouldn't do that stuff.

Someone mentioned the DLine success in the last game - but it didn't look to me like that was an issue. I don't see why anyone would say the Bear Oline didn't do a reasonably good job last time vs the Lions. If the QB tries to hold the ball for 5 Mississippi backed up against his own goal line against a good D ... that's on the QB when it results in a FF/TD - that's not on the Oline. Cutler had adequate time, with the exception of 4-5 plays. He just didn't take advantage and had a bad game.

Anyway ... if your average starting field position is inside the opponents 40 ... you had better win, and it probably should be a blowout. Right?

I don't expect a repeat of that last game, but I do expect that the team with the most turnovers will lose.

All I know is, this game is important for both teams - because neither team wants to have to play their wild card game on the other team's home turf.

Wow, a reasonable Bears fan. I just read a comment on BR a Bears fan wrote, saying if Cutler is off his game the Bears will win by sevenish, and if he's on it the Lions are in 'serious trouble'.

My main question for Bears fans is why are the Bears going to stop our offense after getting dominated by it last game? Our offensive line is a strength and I think they can hold Chicago to 1-2 sacks. If Fairley's shoulder improved during the bye the defensive line will cause Cutler fits. This will be a great game because both teams have possibly vital advantages over each other. I'm going Lions: 27, Bears: 24 in this one.

November 8th, 2013, 10:26 am

If the Lions lose I'll be extremely disappointed. The Bears aren't a bad team, but they're far from great.

November 8th, 2013, 10:44 am
RIP Killer

Blueskies wrote:
If the Lions lose I'll be extremely disappointed. The Bears aren't a bad team, but they're far from great.

So are you saying the Lions are great?

November 8th, 2013, 11:19 am
Profile WWW

Indeed. I think 13-3 is more than possible, and a playoff win should be expected. The NFC is bad this year -- in life, you only get so many opportunities. It's important to take advantage of the ones you get.

November 8th, 2013, 12:00 pm
RIP Killer

Blueskies wrote:
Indeed. I think 13-3 is more than possible, and a playoff win should be expected. The NFC is bad this year -- in life, you only get so many opportunities. It's important to take advantage of the ones you get.

The Lions aren't consistent enough to be considered a great team, I don't care what their record will be. Great teams perform on a consistent basis. They may have a game during the season where they turnover the ball three times, or where they drop a couple critical passes, or they commit more than their average number of penalties. The Lions do any number of those things more than just once or twice during a season. The Lions ability to pull out the win against the Cowboys was a good sign. But the losses to Cincy and Arizona should not have been. Those were games the Lions could have and should have won, and their performances have been inconsistent quarter to quarter, let alone game to game.

I think the Lions could very well go 13-3, especially since Rodgers will be out for Turkey Day and Chicago is the only other team that I think poses a real strong challenge. Baltimore, if they put it all together, could squeak a win from us as well. Still, if we lose all those games but win the rest we end up 10-6 and would have a VERY good shot at making the playoffs. With Rodgers out of the lineup for an extended period of time, you have to think that the NFCN battle is now between the Bears and Lions.

November 8th, 2013, 12:51 pm

Sorry, let me be more clear:

The Lions aren't a historically great team. But they're great compared to most of the other teams in the NFC. And they're certainly better than the Bears.

November 8th, 2013, 2:58 pm
RIP Killer

I don't see any great teams in the NFC, I see

Great: n/a
Very Good: Seattle, San Fran and New Orleans (should finish above 11 wins)
Good: Detroit, Green Bay and Carolina (should finish above 9 wins)
Avg/OK: Chicago, Dallas, and Philly (should finish around .500)
Poor: Atlanta, NY Giants, Minnesota and St. Louis (should finish around 5-6 wins)
Could challenge Detroit's 0-16 season: Tampa

November 8th, 2013, 5:03 pm
Profile WWW
Walk On

Pablo wrote:
I don't see any great teams in the NFC, I see

Great: n/a
Very Good: Seattle, San Fran and New Orleans (should finish above 11 wins)
Good: Detroit, Green Bay and Carolina (should finish above 9 wins)
Avg/OK: Chicago, Dallas, and Philly (should finish around .500)
Poor: Atlanta, NY Giants, Minnesota and St. Louis (should finish around 5-6 wins)
Could challenge Detroit's 0-16 season: Tampa

I fixed it for you:

Top Tier (SB contenders): Seattle, SF, GB with Rodgers: Seattle is already a great team - one loss, and to the excellent Colts... and they have Percy Harvin coming back. SF can be, and probably will be with Smith and Crabtree back. When Rodgers comes back, GB once again becomes a SB contender - and they could easily be going into the Thanksgiving Day game at 8-3 even without Rodgers. Any of these teams can compete with the best of the AFC (Denver).

Middle Tier (Playoff Contenders): Detroit, Dallas, NO, Philly, Chicago, GB without Rodgers: All these teams have tons of firepower and will win most of their games but have flaws and still throw up some clunkers ... which is what makes them not top tier. Can any of these teams beat the top tier, or Denver? Probably not.

Bottom: Atlanta, NYG, Minnesota, St Louis, Tampa: Bleh.. who cares.

November 9th, 2013, 10:19 am
League MVP

I.E. wrote:
njroar wrote:

i wanna say that ll happen again but the atmosphere at ford field was loud and there were some fairly new players on that OL. maybe trestman or cutler would ve been served well to take a timeout or two in that 2nd qtr to slow it down if not quiet it down so everyone could get on the same page or maybe just stuck with forte a lil more. whaterver it was, i doubt cutler has that kind of a meltdown performance again though Lions should be able to keep up - im expecting a much better performance from the bears offense.

November 9th, 2013, 6:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2