View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 19th, 2014, 8:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Is Stafford the #5 best QB in the NFL right now? 
5th Round Pick - Traded

Post Is Stafford the #5 best QB in the NFL right now?
Everybody knows there are 4 elite quarterbacks in the NFL (Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers).

I think Stafford in the discussion to be #5 on that list just outside the elite group all he needs to do is win in the playoffs something QBs like Romo and Rivers have failed to do.

What do you think?

November 9th, 2013, 3:11 pm
Team MVP

Post Re: Is Stafford the #5 best QB in the NFL right now?
After the top 4, its really a toss up IMO. I think Stafford should be included in that list, but I dont think hes the clear cut #5. I think Big Ben should still be in discussion, though he hasnt had his best year, his line sucks and WR's suck too. Im thinking really hard right now about who could be listed OVER Stafford, but I cant find anyone.

Should be an interesting discussion.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

November 9th, 2013, 3:21 pm
RIP Killer

Up and until Stafford develops better consistency in his overall game, he won't crack that top 4, but I definitely think he's in the next tier of QBs. Players like Matt Ryan, Tony Romo, Philip Rivers, Eli Manning, Andy Dalton....all guys who have great skills, but just don't seem to have all the different qualities working in concert at the same time like the Big Four. Stafford has top arm strength, without a doubt. But his touch comes and goes, as does his accuracy. And he still has some problems with reading defenses from time to time.

November 10th, 2013, 9:29 pm
RIP Killer

If anyone is going to crack into that group soon it's probably Andrew Luck (lets forget about yesterday).

November 11th, 2013, 9:50 am
Profile WWW
Heisman Winner

Pablo wrote:
If anyone is going to crack into that group soon it's probably Andrew Luck (lets forget about yesterday).

I agree Pablo. Luck is heads and shoulders above where most players are at this stage of his career. It's not a jab at Stafford, it's just a fact that Luck is just a natural with a higher end ceiling than Stafford.

Bottomline is that Staff is capable of winning you a Super Bowl and that's all that matters really.

Yesterday's 3rd and 2 swing pass miss of Reggie Bush is an example of why Matt will probably never be elite though. He just lacks consistency on the touch passes.

November 11th, 2013, 2:00 pm
Player of the Year - Offense

I think he was expecting Bush to curl the route more. That's a common misperception. I saw that Stafford put some juice on it, but he had pressure in his face and that route is designed for the rb to catch it in stride, not be at the side and then make a move forward. That was Bush taking the route too flat.

And his touch on the two CJ TD passes were what we've been asking for from him for the past few years.

November 11th, 2013, 2:13 pm
RIP Killer

njroar wrote:
I think he was expecting Bush to curl the route more. That's a common misperception. I saw that Stafford put some juice on it, but he had pressure in his face and that route is designed for the rb to catch it in stride, not be at the side and then make a move forward. That was Bush taking the route too flat.

And his touch on the two CJ TD passes were what we've been asking for from him for the past few years.

Stafford seems to be focusing more in the red zone this year. He usually is throwing a good ball in that area, ever since the one he bounced off Calvin's ankle on a slant earlier in the season. But it still remains that his timing seems to be off, and there are times when he drills a pass that needs to have some touch on it. Still...the drops have to be maddening for him. Not all of this throws are between the numbers, but some of those off center passes need to be caught.

November 11th, 2013, 2:31 pm

oh absolutely... 35 drops (5 against chicago) That's 10.6% drop percentage. He's still completing 61.4% with that. Erase the drops and he's throwing 72%.

It was a higher % when Sheffler was on the roster, he alone dropped 25% of his passes. Calvin is targeted so often, while it seems like a lot more, he's dropped 4%. If the team suddenly got sticky fingers, this offense would be even more scary.

November 11th, 2013, 4:15 pm
Heisman Winner

njroar wrote:

I disagree with the Bush analysis. When a pass like that comes out flat and on a line while you are parallel to the QB, it's really difficult to gauge how fast it's coming and you have less time to adjust to the flight of the ball. There was plenty of things to be aggravated with Bush in that game, but that wasn't one of them. That was on Stafford.

The CJ passes were impressive and shows his improvement in the area of dropping the ball into a basket. I still believe the hardest pass for him to complete are the shorter touch passes that require him to dial it down. His impressive arm strength almost inhibits his accuracy here. He can't dial it down as well as most. Conversely, most can't dial it up with the frozen rope accuracy he can. Which do you prefer? I think it depends on whether you are ahead or behind in the game. If you are ahead, you want those simple passes to get first downs to control the ball(Chicago game). If you are behind, you need distance passes completed a la the Dallas game. There's a bit of a trade off currently with Stafford IMO.

November 11th, 2013, 5:23 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Pablo wrote:

why not russell wilson?

November 11th, 2013, 7:57 pm
Team MVP

Killwill25 wrote:
Pablo wrote:

why not russell wilson?

Into the elite? I wouldn't say yet.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

November 11th, 2013, 9:05 pm
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

i think wilson and maybe andrew luck are better than stafford. id take stafford over rivers, romo, ryan, flacco. not sure where to put roethlisberger but i think most would take him over stafford also given that he essentially plays without an OL and his ability to create a lot of plays has transpired with 2 Super Bowl rings. im not sure I would at this point in there careers. Eli Manning even with 2 rings isnt in the discussion right now for me.

November 12th, 2013, 2:33 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

I have never heard of this index before but they just happen to have Stafford ranked at #5 this week of course it with a grain of salt because Rivers not Brady is listed in the top 4.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... _rosenthal

November 13th, 2013, 11:48 pm
RIP Killer

According to QBR, top 20 thus far...

1 Peyton Manning, DEN 84.1
2 Nick Foles, PHI 79.2
3 Philip Rivers, SD 72.6
4 Drew Brees, NO 72.4
5 Aaron Rodgers, GB 70.3
6 Matt Ryan, ATL 67.7
7 Matthew Stafford, DET 66.7
8 Andrew Luck, IND 65.0
9 Colin Kaepernick, SF 64.8
10 Jay Cutler, CHI 63.2
11 Tony Romo, DAL 59.7
12 Russell Wilson, SEA 59.5
13 Michael Vick, PHI 58.7
14 Christian Ponder, MIN 58.7
15 Jake Locker, TEN 58.1
16 Tom Brady, NE 56.9
17 Andy Dalton, CIN 54.4
18 Cam Newton, CAR 53.3
19 Joe Flacco, BAL 49.6
20 Sam Bradford, STL 48.0

November 14th, 2013, 10:08 am
Profile WWW

Leo wrote:
I have never heard of this index before but they just happen to have Stafford ranked at #5 this week of course it with a grain of salt because Rivers not Brady is listed in the top 4.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... _rosenthal

It's not off really, since it's based off this year, and new receivers or not, Brady hasn't been his usual self this year.

November 14th, 2013, 11:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next