View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 1:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Cowboys vs Saints 
Player of the Year - Defense

Post Cowboys vs Saints
Anyone watch the game last night?

In short, that's what the Lions should've done to the Cowboys. Indeed, outside of the score, the Lions' offense was just as good against the Cowboys as the Saints' (both teams total yards were about the same).

The inability to actually throttle teams, however, is what makes me doubt the Lions come playoff time. Certainly, any game they have to play on the road -- it's not going to go well.

November 11th, 2013, 12:28 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post Re: Cowboys vs Saints
Blueskies wrote:

In short, that's what the Lions should've done to the Cowboys. Indeed, outside of the score, the Lions' offense was just as good against the Cowboys as the Saints' (both teams total yards were about the same).

The inability to actually throttle teams, however, is what makes me doubt the Lions come playoff time. Certainly, any game they have to play on the road -- it's not going to go well.

We may still be lucky enough to score a home game in the playoffs. Right now we're 3rd seed. which gets us one at least. with N.O. still having to play 4 division games they may still drop a game or two themselves opening up the #2 spot for someone. their division may be crap, but lets be honest, in most cases division games are close games.

November 11th, 2013, 12:33 pm
RIP Killer

Blueskies wrote:

The Lions had 4 turnovers in the Dallas game, it is very rare to win with that turnover differential. If you have 4 turnovers and still win, you basically "throttled" someone regardless of the final score.

November 11th, 2013, 12:57 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Pablo wrote:
Blueskies wrote:

The Lions had 4 turnovers in the Dallas game, it is very rare to win with that turnover differential. If you have 4 turnovers and still win, you basically "throttled" someone regardless of the final score.

Problem is, games aren't decided by who the better team on the field is, they are decided by the final score. The Lions were the better team in 8 of their 9 games this season, if you look at it that way. I completely understand what Blueskies is saying. The Lions have won games that last year they were losing, and that's good. But they can't expect to keep allowing teams to stay in the game and win all of them. They have to learn to play a complete game, on both sides of the ball.

November 11th, 2013, 2:27 pm
RIP Killer

m2karateman wrote:
Pablo wrote:
Blueskies wrote:

Problem is, games aren't decided by who the better team on the field is, they are decided by the final score. The Lions were the better team in 8 of their 9 games this season, if you look at it that way. I completely understand what Blueskies is saying. The Lions have won games that last year they were losing, and that's good. But they can't expect to keep allowing teams to stay in the game and win all of them. They have to learn to play a complete game, on both sides of the ball.

Complete game, like who?

The 6-3 Bengals who played the Ravens? Opps
The 6-2 Colts who played the Rams? Opps
The 6-2 49ers? Opps?

Have you seen Denver play? Lots of work to be done on the defensive side of the ball...
The Pats have a good record, but they have some big issues as well.

I love what KC is doing this year, but they are ranked in the bottom 10 on offense and does Alex Smith really scare you?

New Orleans has been playing much better on defense this year so far, so they are a fairly complete team and Seattle is solid on both sides but those are the exceptions in todays salary cap NFL where you are basically forced to pick your poison.

November 11th, 2013, 2:55 pm
Profile WWW
Player of the Year - Defense

Have you actually watched Seattle this year? Besides a few wow plays here and there, they're offense looks worse than the Chiefs most the time. If they by chance lose a home game or two and lose home field, they're not a unbeatable. They've looked terrible every road game, except against a decimated falcons team. We beat them last year at home and we were terrible.

The difference in the Lions this year is they believe they can win and they're playing all 60 minutes. They still make the same mistakes, difference is they've been doing enough to overcome them so far. All of us have witnessed plenty of the opposite so we always fear the mistakes will kill us. None of the playoff teams are unbeatable yet none of them are pushovers either. This is definitely going to be an interesting season down the stretch.

November 11th, 2013, 4:21 pm
RIP Killer

Pablo wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Pablo wrote:
Blueskies wrote:

Complete game, like who?

The 6-3 Bengals who played the Ravens? Opps
The 6-2 Colts who played the Rams? Opps
The 6-2 49ers? Opps?

Have you seen Denver play? Lots of work to be done on the defensive side of the ball...
The Pats have a good record, but they have some big issues as well.

I love what KC is doing this year, but they are ranked in the bottom 10 on offense and does Alex Smith really scare you?

New Orleans has been playing much better on defense this year so far, so they are a fairly complete team and Seattle is solid on both sides but those are the exceptions in todays salary cap NFL where you are basically forced to pick your poison.

Pablo, losing a game doesn't mean you didn't play a good, consistent game on both sides of the ball, no differently than winning a game means you were flawless. If a team comes out and beats you because they were the better team that day, then so be it. But name one game, just one, where the Lions played a strong game on both sides of the ball, for an entire 60 minutes this year. I am not talking about them stopping every drive the opponent has, or scoring on every drive they have. I am talking about playing four quarters of strong football, with very few mistakes along the way. Minnesota is about the only game where they truly dominated throughout and didn't let up. The first game against the Bears wasn't as close as the score, but still they allowed the Bears to make it a one score game by allowing two TDs in less than three minutes toward the end of the game.

As I stated before, the Lions are winning games this year that they were losing last year, and that is a GOOD thing. But truthfully, do you see this team contending....REALLY contending....in the playoffs against teams like the 49ers, Seahawks or Saints? I don't. Not with how they are playing now. To beat those teams, everyone has to be playing their best game, and playing mistake free. Yes, those teams make mistakes from time to time as well. But they have also put up some impressive complete game victories that I have yet to see the Lions do this season. All three teams you mention above have at least played ONE game where they dominated their opponent, without letting off the gas or letting them back in the game.

I am not being the 'glass half empty' fan, waiting for the other shoe to drop. I am simply looking at the team from a realistic standpoint. They have been good, and have pulled out the game when it counted. But realistically speaking they've lost against the two playoff caliber teams they've faced in the Packers and Bengals. I don't consider Dallas or Cleveland playoff caliber teams, and the Bears are that quality with Cutler, but not without him and Peppers.

November 11th, 2013, 5:20 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

This year nobody knows from week to week which team is going to win which game. That team that just throttled the Cowboys is the same team that looked like an average team at best against the Jets. The Lions have shot themselves in the foot more than their fair share of times but they have at least been competitive in all the games this year. They still aren't at the level of elite teams but they are getting closer.

November 11th, 2013, 8:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]