View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 25th, 2014, 11:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Don King 

What is your opinion of Don?
Like him 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
He hurts boxing 100%  100%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 5

Don King 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Don King
http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpNWZic251BF9TAzI1NjY0ODI1BHNlYwN0aA--?slug=ap-king-lawsuit&prov=ap&type=lgns

Wow. Any thoughts?

January 12th, 2005, 5:34 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I can't answer the poll because I don't think either choice is appropriate.

First, I DON'T LIKE KING, growing up in the days of Ali I remember the "murder" rap he got out of. My feelings for him have been like my feelings for OJ. Got away with murder.

But, I DON'T THINK KING IS BAD for boxing either. The sport is a joke anyway, badly in need of pub - good or bad. He has promoted some huge fights in the past and anything that gets boxing press is good for the sport.

Think of Mike Tyson's influence on the sport. Bitting a man's ear off didn't hurt his furture paydays...

I grew up liking boxing. The motown's Hitman vs Sugar Ray vs Duran vs Hagler. Classic stuff.

Today, any fight that goes to the scorecard is a toss up of who wins. Half the time, the fighter I thought clearly won does win and half the time he losses. I can't take it anymore.

I couldn't pick either choice - sorry! :cry:

January 12th, 2005, 6:20 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

My fault Pablo. I should have made a better poll. I like boxing myself, have been hooked since Will Smith made Ali. I'm from around Grand Rapids, and we have the best pound for pound boxer in the world, Floyd Maywhether. I think King's a jerk and deserved everything ESPN gave to him. $2.5 billion dollars. That is just dumb. What I don't like about boxing today is not being able to watch because all of the good fights are on pay per view or Premium. My dad tells me about how great Ali was, but I will never be able to watch or tell my kids about Pretty Boy. There is too much money in it.

January 12th, 2005, 10:20 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

You had the right idea, I know what you meant. King has always been a crook. And I'm righ there with you on the PPV thing - paying $50 for a fight is crazy, expecially when they can't get the scoring right. Makes you feel like you got ripped off.

Boxing needs (badly) another strong Heavyweight champ. That's what attracts people on the fringe back to boxing. Since Tyson, there really hasn't been a draw in the heavyweight division.

January 13th, 2005, 1:52 am
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

I'm not a big fan of King. Did you see the Mike Tyson episode of Beyond The Glory on Fox? I think that Tyson put it best about King. That being said, I don't think boxing is in good condition overall. It seems like there are too many belts, no unity and possibly a little corruption.......imagine that!!

I really like boxing but it's awefully difficult to find a good fight these days. The best fight (s) in recent memory are Ward vs. Gotti 1, 2 and 3. Talk about great fighters, and neither really had any big paydays til now.

January 13th, 2005, 3:01 am
Modmin Dude

possibly a little corruption
A little???? :roll: There's a lot of corruption, imho 8)

January 13th, 2005, 10:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]