View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 1st, 2014, 3:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Marines ‘Encouraged’ to adopt unisex covers 
Modmin Dude

Post Marines ‘Encouraged’ to adopt unisex covers
The Blaze wrote:
MARINES ‘ENCOURAGED’ TO ADOPT UNISEX, ‘GIRLY’ HATS THAT COULD COST $8 MILLION
Oct. 24, 2013 1:01pm
Liz Klimas

A possible “girly” uniform update is being considered by the U.S. Marine Corps for both male and female service members.

The proposed change is for a more “unisex” hat, known as a “cover.” The Marine Corps Times reported earlier this week that the Corps uniform board will meet Friday to discuss the results of a survey about two cover modification options.

“Marines are asked to vote using the ‘Individual Marine Voting Worksheet’ provided electronically to designated command representatives,” Mary Boyt, Marine Corps Uniform Board representative at Marine Corps Systems Command, said in a statement at the time the survey was issued.

One option would be to tweak female Marines’ hats to be like male covers, only slightly modified. The other option would be for the entire Corps to adopt the “Dan Daly” style cap.

It’s the latter option that’s getting some pushback. The New York Post, which attributed the proposal to President Barack Obama, calls the Daly hat “girly.”

“We don’t even have enough funding to buy bullets, and the (Department of Defense) is pushing to spend $8 million on covers that look like women’s hats,” a senior Marine source told the Post. “The Marines deserve better. It makes them look ridiculous.”

The Post claimed to have an internal Marine memo that stated the Corps was being “‘encouraged by DoD to standardize on a unisex/universal dress and service cap.”

The Dan Daly cap is known as such because it was worn by Sgt. Major Daniel Joseph Daly, a two-time Medal of Honor recipient who fought during the Boxer Rebellion in China and in Haiti in the early 1900s.

If the Daly cap is adopted by active service members, it would cost more than $8,221,958 million to implement, according to the memo seen by the Post. Opting for the more traditional-style hat would only save $284,043, the Post reported.

In a Marine Corps Times survey of 300 of its readers, 92 percent said they were opposed to changes.

The board will also evaluate whether female Marines can wear partial multiple braids while in uniform and if a modification should be made to the supplemental clothing allowance. One of these uniform standardizations, more specifically, would include requiring soldiers to wear utility uniforms with their sleeves rolled down year round, even in summer months, according to the Times.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/10 ... 8-million/
Personally I'd rather they keep them as is; not too mention I would never wear that 'Dan Daily' thing :shock: Goodness knows we already spend a ton on military & defense and I just don't see this as a 'need'. This reminds me of a story from a couple months ago about how the Army (I think) was looking to redo their uniforms...again. I'll see if I can find it...

October 25th, 2013, 11:21 am
Modmin Dude

Post Re: Marines ‘Encouraged’ to adopt unisex covers
Here's a little info on the updating/changing of uniforms:
Quote:
The four military branches have introduced seven camouflage uniforms with different patterns and colors -- two desert, two woodland and three known as universal camouflage -- since 2002, according to the GAO. Before then, all four branches used Army camouflage. The Pentagon spent about $300 million procuring new camouflage uniforms in fiscal 2011 and more than $10 million since 2002 developing different designs, the GAO said.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-08-0 ... gress.html
In the end tho, it looks like they're trying to get all branches to use the same design/pattern, which should save some taxpayer money.

October 25th, 2013, 11:29 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Im all for military spending that can save lives, but 8 million on new hats? Just for gender neutrality? What a waste!!

I though you weren't allowed to be sensative when you were serving! ;)

October 25th, 2013, 1:21 pm
QB Coach

what's really a shame is that the new digitals were created and then made service specific, Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marines at huge cost. Not only that, but the Navy Blue Digitals are cool to look at, but FLAMMABLE. That's the last thing you want on board a ship out to sea. The stories are true that no matter where you are at sea, you are never more than a mile or two from land, it just happens to be buried under water! So fire has ALWAYS been a concern while at sea, and having a uniform that will go up like a roman candle isn't very comforting.

Not only that, but then all the millions of dollars that went into developing the "digital prints" was wasted when we sent the uniforms to china to be made. In other words, they got free technology that makes their unifroms equal to ours in abilities.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

October 25th, 2013, 3:00 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

This reminds me of when the Army went to a beret instead of the camo baseball cap. Why would any self-respecting nation do this? We saved France twice in the two World Wars, but we're now attempting to imitate them? WTF? This decision has since been reversed.

Then again, in Obama's gay military, I suppose we could allow the queers to wear the berets and the rest to wear the baseball caps. It doesn't matter though. "Blanket Parties" will prevail. For the ignorant, a blanket party is where you throw a blanket over your victim in his bed, with several people holding the blanket down to immobilize him. Meanwhile, several others beat him with whatever is available. If any queer makes a pass at a straight soldier, it's gonna happen. Trust me.

November 14th, 2013, 2:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]