View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 1st, 2014, 12:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Crisis in the Secondary 
Div 1 - Starter

Post Crisis in the Secondary
What can the Lions do to fix their problems in the secondary?

It seems like we have one of the worst secondaries in the league and that they don't break up many passes nor produce many interceptions. (Our interception leader is a linebacker!) Green Bay might be running on backup quarterbacks, but I'm concerned that they could give Matt Flynn a 2nd career day on Thanksgiving.

Would it be worth signing Nmamdi Asomoguh (sp?) to see if he has 6 or 7 games left in the tank? What could it hurt?

I had previously thought that our top priority in the off-season was to find a #2 wide receiver, but now I'm thinking that it might be cornerback. Heck, I could see them drafting corners in the 1st and 2nd rounds or maybe even trading up in the first if there's a worthwhile candidate.

November 17th, 2013, 9:59 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Crisis in the Secondary
Growler wrote:
What can the Lions do to fix their problems in the secondary?

It seems like we have one of the worst secondaries in the league and that they don't break up many passes nor produce many interceptions. (Our interception leader is a linebacker!) Green Bay might be running on backup quarterbacks, but I'm concerned that they could give Matt Flynn a 2nd career day on Thanksgiving.

Would it be worth signing Nmamdi Asomoguh (sp?) to see if he has 6 or 7 games left in the tank? What could it hurt?

I had previously thought that our top priority in the off-season was to find a #2 wide receiver, but now I'm thinking that it might be cornerback. Heck, I could see them drafting corners in the 1st and 2nd rounds or maybe even trading up in the first if there's a worthwhile candidate.

I think we do have the worst CBs in the NFL. IMO Chris Houston is not a #1CB but he's good enough. I have yet to see a WR have trouble getting off of a jam against us and we aren't even generating delfections.

As much as Nnamdi has struggled, he would be an instant upgrade to our secondary if he is healthy. He is smart and knows where to be. Plugging him into Darius Slay's role could end up being a season saving move.

As far as drafting CBs, I also agree though I would be OK with CB, WR, CB, WR or vise versa. There are some stud wide WRs in this upcoming draft and we can't miss again(**** you, Titus). Trading up is a very realistic possibility

November 18th, 2013, 2:04 am
3rd Round Selection

Houston is decent in coverage when his confidence is up. Seems like he isn't that mentally strong, though, and a couple of things don't go his way early and he's in for a rough game. His tackling is weak. He looks afraid of it.

Mathis is a decent stop gap, but not ideal. I wouldn't want to rely on him for next year.

Slay looks like he doesn't belong in the NFL skills/awareness wise. Physically, he may do, but he is clearly very raw. His confidence seems to be as fragile as Houston's, too.

All three of the above have been benched at various points in the season. Not great.

Delmas and Quin are playing well (although Delmas' attempt at press coverage on Brown for his second TD was embarrassing). Worrying that Quin is injured - I think that was part of their 2nd half comeback, hope he's back quickly. Our depth at safety is poor.

This unit was always going to be a worry coming into the season even with its first choice personnel, and was always going to be one or two injuries away from being downright scary.

November 18th, 2013, 7:47 am
NFL Veteran

The Lions would be fine as long as they could find another guy to give them Houston level of play. To be fair to Slay he's playing one of the if not the hardest positions on the field and there aren't any CBs drafted before him from his class making waves. Slay really could be the guy they need it just may not be until next season we see it.

November 18th, 2013, 11:13 am
QB Coach

rao wrote:
The Lions would be fine as long as they could find another guy to give them Houston level of play. To be fair to Slay he's playing one of the if not the hardest positions on the field and there aren't any CBs drafted before him from his class making waves. Slay really could be the guy they need it just may not be until next season we see it.

This. Completely. I'm not saying that Slay is the answer, but people are giving up on him way too quickly. Rookie CBs almost never do too well. I don't think Slay will be a Richard Sherman or Patrick Peterson, but he could be a very solid CB. You have to give guys a couple years to develop and adjust to the NFL game.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

November 18th, 2013, 11:51 am
3rd Round Selection

Not giving up on Slay, he may well develop into a starting caliber corner.

Given that corners can take time to develop, and given the % of snaps you'll be playing 3 of them is high, picking up another corner with a high pick still seems a viable strategy to me this off-season. If Slay doesn't pan out, you've at least started developing your replacement early. If he does, well you may end up with a mildly over qualified nickleback but is that such a bad thing?

November 18th, 2013, 12:21 pm
Team MVP

But taking a CB in the first round means that there is one that can come in and be an upgrade immediately. We dont have time to wait for development. From what I've seen, I dont see that corner in this next draft. Which is why i am still for a #2 WR. Maybe we could have had a comeback if it werent for our guys dropping passes? To me, theres better WRs than there are CBs in the next draft, or at least guys that I think can make a bigger contribution to this team.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

November 18th, 2013, 12:38 pm
Pop Warner Vet

kdsberman wrote:
But taking a CB in the first round means that there is one that can come in and be an upgrade immediately. We dont have time to wait for development. From what I've seen, I dont see that corner in this next draft. Which is why i am still for a #2 WR. Maybe we could have had a comeback if it werent for our guys dropping passes? To me, theres better WRs than there are CBs in the next draft, or at least guys that I think can make a bigger contribution to this team.

That was my next question, what kind of depth are we looking at for this year's draft in positions of need? Despite Xanders making some great decisions in Waddle, Warford, etc. we're still going to need to work on our Oline and get a Center (Bryan Stork) and tackle/guard. Let's not take out over-performing oline for granted!

November 18th, 2013, 1:23 pm
NFL Veteran

chilledmonkeybrains wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

That was my next question, what kind of depth are we looking at for this year's draft in positions of need? Despite Xanders making some great decisions in Waddle, Warford, etc. we're still going to need to work on our Oline and get a Center (Bryan Stork) and tackle/guard. Let's not take out over-performing oline for granted!

If they can find a OC to replace Raiola or at least be ready to replace Raiola if they resign him and he doesn't play well then they should be fine with the rest of the Oline. Waddle looks like he could easily handle a starting spot by next season with Hilliard as the back up and if anything happens to Reiff you could always flip Waddle to LT and start Hilliard at RT. Obviously it always depends on how the players fall in the draft, but I would prefer to see them avoid an early round OG or OT unless a guy falls worth taking a chance on.

November 18th, 2013, 1:49 pm
Team MVP

rao wrote:
chilledmonkeybrains wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

If they can find a OC to replace Raiola or at least be ready to replace Raiola if they resign him and he doesn't play well then they should be fine with the rest of the Oline. Waddle looks like he could easily handle a starting spot by next season with Hilliard as the back up and if anything happens to Reiff you could always flip Waddle to LT and start Hilliard at RT. Obviously it always depends on how the players fall in the draft, but I would prefer to see them avoid an early round OG or OT unless a guy falls worth taking a chance on.

Agree. I really like Waddle. From what I've seen, I think he just has to work on his strength, but he moves very well. I've just seen him get bull rushed a few times. Really like him though.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

November 18th, 2013, 4:17 pm
QB Coach

Corner is one of the hardest positions to step right in and play in the NFL. Slay will hopefully start to get it in the few games we have left and early next season. Houston would be a great #2 but we need that #1 guy. The money we spent on him and Quinn will prevent us from getting anyone else in the secondary in FA, but Alterraun Verner would be a huge addition.

November 18th, 2013, 5:06 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

is Verner a #1 CB?

November 18th, 2013, 6:02 pm
Hall of Fame Player

HELLO? I have only been screaming about this for nearly 15 years. Welcome to the party. When we kept drafting WR's, I was screaming for a CB. Year after year after year, I was screaming for a defensive player in the 1st round just to listen to the majority shout me down about lets complete the offense, just so we could watch the latest Offensive 1st rounder be offensive and a bust. Well, we finally have a complete Offense, and as I predicted, we could score 30 and give up 35, because our Defense stinks. There have been few exceptions about my wanting defense 1st. Like Stafford and Megatron.

Anyway, welcome to the dark side. Now brace yourself to hear someone tell you how the offensive player is more important for us to use our 1st round pick on.

November 18th, 2013, 8:08 pm
RIP Killer

To be fair to the Lions, there were times when I think they really wanted to get a corner, but their pick didn't warrant making whoever was available their selection. Remember, Mayhew did try to trade up for Patrick Peterson. He wasn't willing to overpay, as Arizona wanted him to. I don't have a problem with that. Yes, Peterson is a great talent. But he wasn't worth what Arizona wanted in return.

I don't know that there is a corner in the upcoming draft that is like Peterson. No true shutdown corner, clear cut, that is standing out from the crowd. And if there was one available, that person would probably be a top ten, if not top five, pick. I don't see the Lions trading up that far for that kind of talent.

The Lions don't have to use a first pick on a WR as a compliment to CJ. They just have to do a MUCH better job of scouting the second and third round prospects that are out there at that position. I'd like to see them also go with a quality center as their pick sometime in the upcoming draft. Unfortunately, they really have to hit on their first four picks, or supplement with some quality free agents. Reason: they need a corner, a wide out, a center and a linebacker. Slay may developinto starting quality, but he also may not. Bentley isn't it, and neither is Jonte Green or Chris Greenwood. Rashean Mathis isn't a long term answer, and neither is Chris Houston. If the Lions want to build their secondary for the future, they have to get a really good corner in this coming draft so that Houston can play another season and hopefully Slay can start next year.

November 18th, 2013, 9:06 pm
NFL Veteran

They will have to get incredibly lucky to get a starting corner in next years draft. CBs just rarely come into the NFL lighting the world on fire and I don't see how the Lions will be in any position to draft a top tier guy. The only other chance they have is to nab a FA, but they will need to extend Suh to have any shot at getting a FA and even then it'll probably be a hard get. This is another instance where they are better off just trying to get another speedy DE or again focus on offense. Even LB may not be necessary since Levy has improved a lot this year and they rarely even play 3 LBs since so many teams run 3 or more WRs now. It's unfortunate but the way positional values go the Lions best shot of getting another corner is going to be rolling the dice on 2nd round and later picks because they just aren't likely to see a 1st round starter quality CBs where they will be picking.

November 19th, 2013, 12:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next