View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 28th, 2014, 1:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Gameday: Lions @ Steelers 
QB Coach

Post Re: Gameday: Lions @ Steelers
Killwill25 wrote:
am i the only one deeply discouraged by the fact that reggie bush is utterly useless in less than perfect weather?

I'm getting really tired of him fumbling in every damn game. He needs to hold on to the ball. I know technically he only has 3 official fumbles, but he's had at least 2 or 3 more where he lost the ball but was ruled down or there was a penalty. There's no excuse for it. Just secure the ball. It's basic football.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

November 18th, 2013, 1:40 pm
NFL Veteran

conversion02 wrote:
Willie young looked bad yesterday. Taylor regularly got into the backfield and Ben was stepping to his right regularly. Also, suh and fairley gotab absolutely manhandled by Pitts interior line. It was quite sad to watch. They held their ground on the run game, but got zero pressure up the middle on the pass

I think this has a lot to do with the field. Just like how Bell performed a lot better than Bush because his running style is more plodding with smaller movements your seeing the same thing in Taylor versus the rest of the Dline. Suh, Fairley, and Young all make their money with explosive jumps as the ball is snapped and with the soggy field a lot of that explosion can be absorbed by the ground causing their first step to be much slower. Taylor on the other hand is a long slow twitch guy that uses his length instead of speed to seal the edge and get around his man.

November 18th, 2013, 1:58 pm
RIP Killer

No excuses. Not the field, not the weather, nothing.

This was a sterling example of why I have been saying over and over again that the Lions are an inconsistent team, drive to drive, quarter to quarter, game to game. This is why IF the Lions get into the playoffs, they will not even sniff the NFC Championship game. And I am not being a fair weather fan, because those of you that have read some of my previous posts know that this is what I have been saying. I said Pittsburgh wasn't a gimme. Neither is ANY game left on this schedule, including the Minnesota game.

Up and until the Lions can perform on a more consistent basis, and start achieving the fundamentals (like holding onto the football, either in the run or pass game) they will not be a real contender at getting to the Super Bowl. Playoffs is nice...but if they do make it there this season they will have sort of backed into it due to the injuries to Cutler and Rodgers.

Schwartz just ain't getting it done. I don't know that a new coach will automatically be the answer, but I don't see anything that makes me think he will evolve this team into a consistent winner.

November 18th, 2013, 2:06 pm
QB Coach

m2karateman wrote:

This was a sterling example of why I have been saying over and over again that the Lions are an inconsistent team, drive to drive, quarter to quarter, game to game. This is why IF the Lions get into the playoffs, they will not even sniff the NFC Championship game. And I am not being a fair weather fan, because those of you that have read some of my previous posts know that this is what I have been saying. I said Pittsburgh wasn't a gimme. Neither is ANY game left on this schedule, including the Minnesota game.

Up and until the Lions can perform on a more consistent basis, and start achieving the fundamentals (like holding onto the football, either in the run or pass game) they will not be a real contender at getting to the Super Bowl. Playoffs is nice...but if they do make it there this season they will have sort of backed into it due to the injuries to Cutler and Rodgers.

Schwartz just ain't getting it done. I don't know that a new coach will automatically be the answer, but I don't see anything that makes me think he will evolve this team into a consistent winner.

I think a new coach can absolutely make an immediate difference/be the answer. Look at Andy Reid in KC. Or Harbaugh in SF. They year before the coaches got there the team was talented, but underperforming. The right coach comes along and all of the sudden the team wins consistently (yes I know SF isn't doing as well this year, but they're still better than they were pre-Harbaugh).

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

November 18th, 2013, 3:28 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

I think a new coach can absolutely make an immediate difference/be the answer. Look at Andy Reid in KC. Or Harbaugh in SF. They year before the coaches got there the team was talented, but underperforming. The right coach comes along and all of the sudden the team wins consistently (yes I know SF isn't doing as well this year, but they're still better than they were pre-Harbaugh).

I've said it before: time to bring in Lovie. I think he'd be able to bring Peanut with him (his contract is up after this year), and I'm sure he'd love to stick it to Chicago twice a year. That combo would spell immediate improvement for our secondary. You might even be able to keep Linehan as the OC, which I think would benefit Staff & CJ.

November 18th, 2013, 3:36 pm
Veteran General Manager

The sky is falling. The Sky is falling. THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Same old Lions fans. They lost 1 game people. It is not the end of the world. You can step back from the ledge. Now breath in. Exhale.

Schwartz is on Sirius/XM NFL radio every Wednesday at 4PM. He has often mentioned how important a game was because it was a division game or a Conference game. It is very apparent, that the Lions do not over prioritize games against an AFC opponent. AFC games are way down the list in tie breaker situations. AND............... we have a a very big game coming up on Thanksgiving Day. I lay you odds, the coaching staff used half of their time this week beginning preparations for GBay.

Yes, it sucks that we lost. But, it can also be a blessing that we lost this one as it will help prevent the Lions from getting the Swelled Head Syndrome. And it should help the players get their attention fully set on TBay.

All in all, if we had to lose a game in the next few weeks, The Steelers game was the one to lose. Since GBay and TBay are both NFC teams.

It might not even be a bad thing if we lose either the Ravens game or the Vikings game, ( hopefully we would have locked up a home playoff game and can rest people), so there isn't the pressure of a long win streak going into the playoffs.

I never want to just excuse a loss. But, this one might not have been a bad 1 to lose.

November 18th, 2013, 8:00 pm
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
The sky is falling. The Sky is falling. THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Same old Lions fans. They lost 1 game people. It is not the end of the world. You can step back from the ledge. Now breath in. Exhale.

Schwartz is on Sirius/XM NFL radio every Wednesday at 4PM. He has often mentioned how important a game was because it was a division game or a Conference game. It is very apparent, that the Lions do not over prioritize games against an AFC opponent. AFC games are way down the list in tie breaker situations. AND............... we have a a very big game coming up on Thanksgiving Day. I lay you odds, the coaching staff used half of their time this week beginning preparations for GBay.

Yes, it sucks that we lost. But, it can also be a blessing that we lost this one as it will help prevent the Lions from getting the Swelled Head Syndrome. And it should help the players get their attention fully set on TBay.

All in all, if we had to lose a game in the next few weeks, The Steelers game was the one to lose. Since GBay and TBay are both NFC teams.

It might not even be a bad thing if we lose either the Ravens game or the Vikings game, ( hopefully we would have locked up a home playoff game and can rest people), so there isn't the pressure of a long win streak going into the playoffs.

I never want to just excuse a loss. But, this one might not have been a bad 1 to lose.

Billy, shut up. Nobody is claiming this team doesn't have talent, isn't capable of winning games, or is pathetic. What is being discussed is that this team has NOT dramatically improved under the current coaching regime. Yes, Schwartz took over a winless team and got them to win. But you tell me, do they perform consistently?

If you can't accept that after a loss, particularly to a team that has struggled like Pittsburgh, fans are going to jump on a forum like this one and point out the negatives, then perhaps you need to avoid coming to the forum on Mondays, or on weeks after a loss. This team is different week to week. For the most part on Sunday, they were completely inept. They had one good quarter, and the rest of the way they were absolute crap. If you want to be little Mary Sunshine after this loss, that's fine. I'm telling you right now, this team has more problems going on than most of the six win teams out there.

November 18th, 2013, 9:14 pm
Veteran General Manager

m2karateman wrote:
BillySims wrote:

Billy, shut up. Nobody is claiming this team doesn't have talent, isn't capable of winning games, or is pathetic. What is being discussed is that this team has NOT dramatically improved under the current coaching regime. Yes, Schwartz took over a winless team and got them to win. But you tell me, do they perform consistently?

If you can't accept that after a loss, particularly to a team that has struggled like Pittsburgh, fans are going to jump on a forum like this one and point out the negatives, then perhaps you need to avoid coming to the forum on Mondays, or on weeks after a loss. This team is different week to week. For the most part on Sunday, they were completely inept. They had one good quarter, and the rest of the way they were absolute crap. If you want to be little Mary Sunshine after this loss, that's fine. I'm telling you right now, this team has more problems going on than most of the six win teams out there.

By all means. Complain all you want. This is a young team. And it's inconsistencies are caused by them being a young team. You can call for the coaches head all you want. If you keep firing the HC and or the GM, you will never get to the consistency you claim to want. Sometimes patience really is a virtue. Be patient. You will get what you want. Maturity only comes with time. You want the same old lions to disappear. Well, the same old lions fan should disappear also.

November 18th, 2013, 10:44 pm
QB Coach

BillySims wrote:
By all means. Complain all you want. This is a young team. And it's inconsistencies are caused by them being a young team. You can call for the coaches head all you want. If you keep firing the HC and or the GM, you will never get to the consistency you claim to want. Sometimes patience really is a virtue. Be patient. You will get what you want. Maturity only comes with time. You want the same old lions to disappear. Well, the same old lions fan should disappear also.

A young team? How do you figure? By average age, the Lions are the oldest team in the league (and it's not close).

Even if we look only at Detroit's starters, the average age is 26.33 (listing slay as a starter instead of Mathis). With Mathis as the starter, it jumps up to 26.86.

Detroit is not a young team. The key players on the team (Stafford, CJ, Suh, Fairley, both Safeties) are at least 4-5 years in the league. That's plenty old enough to not be making dumb errors, and the team continues to play dumb. That falls on the coaches. The coaching staff sets the tone for the team, and Detroit plays undisciplined football. Look at the teams who win consistently (Patriots, Steelers, Giants, Packers, etc): they typically play disciplined ball and don't make critical errors to shoot themselves in the foot. That's a cultural thing, and the coaches and management are the people who set the course for the culture of the organization.

I think Schwartz is like a lot of other coaches who are good, but won't ever take their teams over the hump to ultimately win the big games. I just don't see the Lions every making a real playoff push with him in charge.

November 19th, 2013, 3:32 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

I wanted to wait a couple of days to let the frustrations pass, but before the game, when I saw what the weather was like, I called this game a loss. Like it or not we are a dome team, and are not as accumtomed to playing in bad weather. It took a full quarter for the offense to figure out that long ball passing does not work in crappy weather. AND, if I'm being completely honest here, we do not play all that well on the road. The Deadskin game was closer than it would have been if it were home, we looked lost and confused the 2nd half of Green bay, and the whole of the Arizona game.

This team has a lot to work on let there be no mistake about it....but that being said...they are doing significantly better than I expected. The loss stinks, but its far from the end of the world. we should still see the playoffs. but if we dont take the division and get a home game...winning would not be likely.

November 19th, 2013, 12:48 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Pablo wrote:
It was one of those games, a pretty bizarre game at that. I'm not going to get too worked up about it. We were off much of the game, playing against a team on a bit of a roll with nothing to lose, on the road where we hadn't won in half a century, in the rain, and still could have won.

It stings a little, but over the course of a 16 game schedule these are going to happen.

Fix the mistakes, suit back up and win next Sunday boys.

All that is true, but the 2 Huge Coaching Blunders did us no favors.

We were avg 5yd/carry with Bell, and got to the goal line and ran 3 straight passes and settled for a FG. No Excuse. Got Cutsie and it cost us. Then the Fake FG with a 4 pt lead? Again, Inexcusable. To me those 2 calls show when the game is on the line, you just cant turst our staff to make the right call. A Good season might save jobs, but I am still ready for someone New as HC. Mayhew gets a 2nd Coach IMO as we have the talent to win IMO.

November 19th, 2013, 1:44 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
3rd Round Selection

Quote:
The Occasionally Brilliant, Mostly Infuriating Detroit Lions
By Robert Mays on November 18, 2013 11:30 AM ET

After yesterday, I have all the proof I need. I don’t know what it is about this year, but I’m now convinced that more teams than ever just have no interest in going to the playoffs. The Bengals held off the Browns, but they needed two defensive scores and four turnovers to do it. And I’m starting to believe Andy Dalton is a double agent taking some off the side from the Ravens. Meanwhile, the NFC East is now a jumbled mess, and somehow an Eagles team that couldn’t stop anyone for the first month of the season is 6-5 and looking firmly in control — for now.

Nowhere, though, does the division crown resemble a game of hot potato more than it does in the NFC North. A week ago, the Lions were 6-3, holding a one-game lead, and fresh off a tiebreaker-clinching win over the Bears. It’s a division filled with flawed teams. The Vikings are the Vikings, Chicago is without more than half its defensive starters, and yesterday’s Packers game included the dreaded “Who’s that guy?” montage about their starting quarterback:

Detroit, for plenty of reasons, looked like the team ready to be anointed. After missing a game against the Packers and hobbling around during a half game with the Browns, Calvin Johnson was back. In any other season, Megatron — coming into yesterday averaging 6.6 catches, 113 yards, and a touchdown per game — would be a very real MVP candidate, and that’s without mentioning the “most valuable” points he racked up when we had to watch the Lions play without him in Green Bay.

It’ll always be hard to separate Matthew Stafford’s performance for C.J.’s, but at 25, Stafford really has been playing the best football of his career. His completion percentage was better back in 2011, but every other part of playing the position — not turning over the ball, not taking sacks, the things the really good guys do well — are at an all-time high. Add the Stafford-Johnson connection to Reggie Bush and a Lions defense featuring one superstar and a few other playmakers, and you have a team very well positioned to cruise through a paper-thin second-half schedule (Bucs, Rodgers-less Packers, Eagles, Ravens, Giants, Vikings) on its way to the playoffs.

Then yesterday's game against the Steelers happened. And the Lions, in every way, reminded us why they’re one of the most infuriating teams in sports.

I honestly couldn’t imagine what it would be like to root for this team, and what happened yesterday afternoon was a perfect and complete example why. After sleepwalking through the first 15 minutes and allowing Antonio Brown to do whatever he wanted and more to their secondary, the Lions put together a second quarter that could be matched by maybe two other teams in the league.

Detroit scored 27 points before halftime, and that stretch included a lost fumble in Pittsburgh territory. Granted, one of those scoring drives lasted one play — a perfect 79-yard strike to Johnson — but mostly, it was a stretch in which the Lions looked like an offensive juggernaut. Take out the deep touchdown to Megatron and Detroit still had six passes of 20 or more yards — in a quarter!

It’s just hard to reconcile how a team capable of that goes scoreless in an entire half against the 27th-ranked defense in the league (by DVOA). A zero-catch half from Calvin Johnson doesn’t help — just another reminder that when teams do take him away, the Lions are left with Brandon Pettigrew and Kris Durham. And Reggie Bush’s relegation to the bench after his second-quarter fumble was also a problem. The Lions struggled to move the ball, and the Steelers didn’t. Ben Roethlisberger was fantastic yesterday, and the eight-minute drive he strung together in the fourth quarter was exactly the sort Pittsburgh needed to keep control of the clock and keep the ball away from Johnson and Stafford.

It was the play that preceded that drive, though, that will go down as the most maddening of the day. Up four with about 13 minutes left, the Lions tried a fake field goal on fourth-and-5 from the Pittsburgh 10, and unsurprisingly, I guess, it ended like this:

Yesterday evening was full of questions about Jim Schwartz’s decision to go for it and whether it cost the Lions a win. My problem with that sequence is a little different. Going for it in that situation is fine (although if you’re going to be that kind of team, you probably should have also gone for it on fourth-and-goal at the 1-yard line a quarter earlier). A first down — and then likely a touchdown — at that point in the game probably ends it.

The maddening part is how they went for it. The Lions’ roster features the most physically dominant receiving threat the world has ever known. In case there's any confusion, 6-foot-1, 205-pound rookie punter Sam Martin is not him.

I’d imagine that’s the hardest part of being a Lions fan these days. Their stumbles really have nothing to do with talent, or the construction of the roster, or anything like that. For a team so capable of looking like a contender, Detroit is just as capable of stringing together mishaps that are more in line with a team half as good. The good news is that aside from their records, nothing much about the NFC North has changed after yesterday. Detroit still has a well-defined inside track to the playoffs, but at this point, if the Lions keep playing like this I’m not sure it will matter.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-trian ... roit-lions

"I honestly couldn’t imagine what it would be like to root for this team" ... it's character building. I think. :D

November 19th, 2013, 3:10 pm
Modmin Dude

RE: Fake FG attempt

Many of us have been wanting the Lions to play to win/aggressive for years and this play, IMO, is exactly that. Going for the jugular and not playing 'not to lose'. Not too mention, when was the last time the Lions Org tried a fake FG???? There's no way the Steelers could've been expecting it.

Like him or not, Schwartz was playing to win; the team did not execute.

There's plenty of blame to go around, no doubt,, but IMO to bulk of it falls on the Defense. They HAVE to stop them from driving 97-yards in ~8 minutes; especially when they had them in a 3rd & long. Inexcusable. I've said it before and I'll keep saying it, Gun is past his prime. The 'D' needs to improve or this team will go nowhere.

November 19th, 2013, 3:53 pm
RIP Killer

TheRealWags wrote:
RE: Fake FG attempt

Many of us have been wanting the Lions to play to win/aggressive for years and this play, IMO, is exactly that. Going for the jugular and not playing 'not to lose'. Not too mention, when was the last time the Lions Org tried a fake FG???? There's no way the Steelers could've been expecting it.

Like him or not, Schwartz was playing to win; the team did not execute.

There's plenty of blame to go around, no doubt,, but IMO to bulk of it falls on the Defense. They HAVE to stop them from driving 97-yards in ~8 minutes; especially when they had them in a 3rd & long. Inexcusable. I've said it before and I'll keep saying it, Gun is past his prime. The 'D' needs to improve or this team will go nowhere.

Completely agree. Good call, poor execution. You can't blame the coaches for this one folks. Dropped passes (AGAIN!!!), fumbles and things of that nature fall directly on the players. Had that play gotten them the first down and the Lions scored six, everybody would say what a smart call it was. The play was there. Martin screwed up, plain and simple.

Our secondary played, perhaps, their absolute worst game of the year. I don't blame Gunner for that either. He can't cover the guys for the corners. Interior D line wasn't forcing Ben out of the pocket and into the rush ends. The ends weren't getting enough pressure to push Ben up in the pocket into the interior rushers. Linebackers weren't handling their coverage assignments very well either. This was a poorly executed game plan. Is that the coaches fault? Possibly, but I blame the players more.

November 19th, 2013, 4:58 pm
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:

Absolute hogwash Billy. Catching, blocking, tackling, protecting the ball....all FUNDAMENTAL parts of the game. And most of these guys have been playing this game since they were in elementary school. Every chance they get the players want to remind the fans that they are 'professionals'. Well, time to f**king act like it. Catch a pass, hold onto the football, make a tackle, and hold a block. They get paid, and paid well, to do it...and better than they have been. This team is wildly inconsistent in their performances.

As has been pointed out, the Lions are NOT a young team. Not. Even. Close.

And as someone else pointed out, making a change to the HC and staff often DOES meet with great success. You put the right pieces of the puzzle together, and you get a much better fit. The core of this team has been together for several seasons now, Billy. They are NOT GETTING IT DONE. In the current NFL, you cannot simply 'sit and wait' for it to happen. With free agency, players are hopping all over the place. You won't be able to keep the core of the team together forever.

The fact is Billy, the same old Lions fans would have simply been sitting on their couch, EXPECTING the Lions to lose and being pretty resolved to it. The Lions are frustrating now because they DO SHOW PROMISE, but they aren't playing to their potential when they need to be. This isn't being a 'same old Lions fan', this is expecting something better from a team that has been frustrating for over half a century. If you want to settle for a team that hobbles into the playoffs, if at all, only to get embarrassed and blown out in the first playoff game, then it is YOU who is being a SOLF, not us.

There is nothing wrong with a fan expecting the team they follow to do things better, particularly when that team is trying to sell them on how good they are. If the Lions faced Carolina, New Orleans or San Francisco today in the playoffs, they'd get their ASSES KICKED. It wouldn't even be close.

That type of performance is not acceptable to me, and it shouldn't be acceptable to ANY TRUE Lions fan. We've been patient long enough. We've f**king waited more than long enough. Time to get some return on investment.

November 19th, 2013, 5:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next