View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 27th, 2014, 5:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Matthew Stafford: Best QB in Lions History? 
Modmin Dude

Post Matthew Stafford: Best QB in Lions History?
MLive wrote:
Matthew Stafford becomes most prolific QB in Detroit Lions history at just 25 years old

PITTSBURGH -- Matthew Stafford, in just his fifth season, has become the most prolific quarterback in Detroit Lions history.

Stafford broke Bobby Layne's all-time franchise passing yardage record on a 79-yard touchdown pass to Calvin Johnson with 10:53 left in the second quarter of Sunday's game against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

He entered the day needing 68 yards to eclipse Layne's record of 15,710 -- a benchmark that had stood since 1958.

Stafford already had become the quickest quarterback in NFL history to amass 15,000 yards passing, and owns almost every notable Lions passing mark. He has the most yards (5,038 in 2011) and touchdown passes (41 in 2011) in a season, passing yards in a game (520) and most games with five TD passes (three).

The only notable Lions record he does not own is career touchdowns.

He's 25 years old.

"There's really no bar that he can't surpass at this point," offensive coordinator Scott Linehan said recently. "The things he's been able to do are obviously impressive, but who knows what it's going to be? You got to have some luck along the way, with being able to play for a number of years.

"There's not too many people that can do what he's done at this point in his career."

Stafford and Layne will be forever linked, because they both attended Highland Park High School in Dallas and both quarterbacked the Lions. Now they've both held the team's most prestigious passing record.

In another twist of circumstance, Layne finished his career in Pittsburgh, where Stafford would break his most notable record 51 years later.

But Stafford has yet to have the same kind of team success as Layne, who led Detroit to three NFL titles. The Lions have won only one playoff game since trading Layne in 1958 -- the so-called "Curse of Bobby Layne."

Stafford, though, has helped position Detroit for another playoff berth, its second in three years. The Lions entered Sunday's game at 6-3 and alone atop the NFC North.

Getting into the postseason, and perhaps winning a game, would help cement Stafford as Detroit's greatest quarterback ever.

He's only 25 years old.

Check back after the game for more on Stafford's big moment, including comments from the quarterback.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... ost_1.html

With Stafford passing Layne on the Lions career passing yards list this past Sunday, there's only one more Lions record left for him to get: Career TDs (118) (which could also happen this year as he is currently at 101). Does this make Matthew the best QB in Lions history? Why or Why not?

November 20th, 2013, 2:20 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post Re: Matthew Stafford: Best QB in Lions History?
He's better than Scott Fricken Mithcell I tell you that!

He HAS to be the best we've ever had. Even when the old timers talk about Bobby lane, they admit that he wasn't an overly tallented guy...he was mostly a drunk! But he refused to lose and somehow just willed wins to happen. Stafford plays in a passhappy offense in todays league so his numbers are obviously going to be inflated, but when you look at Lions top QB records and still see Scott Mitchell in the top 3 of most categories....that pretty much tells you what you need to know about Matt's predecessors.

Saying Matt is the Bext QB ever in Detroit is like declaring him the prettiest girl in the whole trail park. the bar is set pretty low ;)

November 20th, 2013, 4:51 pm
3rd Round Selection

Definitely the best QB in my time as a Lions fan.

Comparing across eras is difficult. To me it says more about the franchise, that we have passing records so many years old despite the huge increase in passing numbers (and the increase in number of games per season).

November 20th, 2013, 6:28 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Yes. I don't even think it's that debatable

November 20th, 2013, 9:55 pm
RIP Killer

Killwill25 wrote:

I disagree completely...

Pro Bowls:
Layne 6
Stafford 0

All Decade Teams:
Layne 1
Stafford 0

Major Hall of Fames:
Layne 2 (NFL, College)
Stafford 0

NFL Championships:
Layne 3
Stafford 0

You guys can look at fancy passing stats, hell Layne threw about 50 more picks than TDs in his career - the NFL changed over the 50 years between these two men but give me trophies...

November 21st, 2013, 9:43 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

This is a foolish question, really. Stafford is just 25 years old and has many years yet to play. How many yards he's passed for is NOT an indication of how good he is in comparison to Layne, but rather an indication of how much the game has changed since then.

Athletic talent is a great thing to have, but not necessarily the most important part of being a quarterback. Joe Montana wasn't the most athletically gifted quarterback known to the NFL. However, he was intelligent, had great instincts and above all had an incredible will to win.

Layne may have been drunk most of the time, acted like a complete a-hole off the field, and may have had the athletic skill of a cigar store indian, but what set him above others was his incredible will to win. Lions players during that time have said over and over again that it was Layne who drove them to win more than anything else.

Until Stafford gains that drive to win, or until he is able to get others around him to respond in kind, he won't reach the winning status of Layne.

November 21st, 2013, 2:11 pm
Heisman Winner

Stafford represents the first legit championship caliber QB the Lions have had in my 35 ish years of watching them. By the time he is done playing this will seem a foolish debate barring a catastrophic injury in the near term. Marino won nothing. Mark Rypien won a title. Who was really the better player?

November 21st, 2013, 11:18 pm

Pablo wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

I disagree completely...

Pro Bowls:
Layne 6
Stafford 0

All Decade Teams:
Layne 1
Stafford 0

Major Hall of Fames:
Layne 2 (NFL, College)
Stafford 0

NFL Championships:
Layne 3
Stafford 0

You guys can look at fancy passing stats, hell Layne threw about 50 more picks than TDs in his career - the NFL changed over the 50 years between these two men but give me trophies...

I see your point about chips but two of those categories(HOF and All decade teams), Stafford isn't even eligible for. The titles are the only thing missing and there were only about 12 NFL teams in Layne's hay day. But Stafford will probably challenge 32-35 TDs and 5,000 yds a season over the next decade. And yes I do think that he is capable of winning a Superbowl.

November 22nd, 2013, 10:17 am
RIP Killer

Killwill25 wrote:
Pablo wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

I disagree completely...

Pro Bowls:
Layne 6
Stafford 0

All Decade Teams:
Layne 1
Stafford 0

Major Hall of Fames:
Layne 2 (NFL, College)
Stafford 0

NFL Championships:
Layne 3
Stafford 0

I see your point about chips but two of those categories(HOF and All decade teams), Stafford isn't even eligible for. The titles are the only thing missing and there were only about 12 NFL teams in Layne's hay day. But Stafford will probably challenge 32-35 TDs and 5,000 yds a season over the next decade. And yes I do think that he is capable of winning a Superbowl.

Since you can't compare stats due to different eras, you can only compare them relative to the players of their day. Layne was the best QB of his era if elected to the all-decade team. That means he was one of the top QBs of his time - are we ready to say that for Stafford? Are you willing to put him ahead of Brady, Manning, or Brees?

November 22nd, 2013, 10:28 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

jrd66 wrote:
Stafford represents the first legit championship caliber QB the Lions have had in my 35 ish years of watching them. By the time he is done playing this will seem a foolish debate barring a catastrophic injury in the near term. Marino won nothing. Mark Rypien won a title. Who was really the better player?

Which is exactly why I said it was a foolish question. Stafford is only 25 years old, and to be asking if he is the best QB in Lions history is foolish right now. He's more prolific than Layne because of how the game is played today. Is he a better athlete than Layne? Yes, in all likelihood. But by the same token, Jamarcuss Russell was probably a better athlete than Layne too. Doesn't make him a better player, just a better athlete. Two completely different things.

While stats are being looked at, I am looking at the intangibles. Yes, Layne won more awards and championships. If you want to say it was because there were far fewer teams, so be it. If you want to say the Lions had better TEAMS then, and Layne benefitted from that, you have that right. But Layne's teammates were the ones who said he was their undisputed leader, and the biggest reason behind their winning championships. It was the intangibles.....the heart, the will to win, the ability to inspire others....THAT is what set Layne apart from other QBs, and other players, of his day. Another thing one could say is that with fewer teams the league was less diluted, and as a result Layne faced much better defensive competition than Stafford. In todays NFL, there are 1696 players, not including the practice squads. At that time, there were 12 teams made up of just 45 players per roster. 540 players. Yes, the talent was far less diluted.

Matt Stafford has a will to win, no doubt in my mind. But at this point, I don't think he has as big of an impact on the players around him as Layne did.

November 22nd, 2013, 4:04 pm

Pablo wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
Pablo wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

I disagree completely...

Pro Bowls:
Layne 6
Stafford 0

All Decade Teams:
Layne 1
Stafford 0

Major Hall of Fames:
Layne 2 (NFL, College)
Stafford 0

NFL Championships:
Layne 3
Stafford 0

Since you can't compare stats due to different eras, you can only compare them relative to the players of their day. Layne was the best QB of his era if elected to the all-decade team. That means he was one of the top QBs of his time - are we ready to say that for Stafford? Are you willing to put him ahead of Brady, Manning, or Brees?

I'm not ready to put Stafford ahead of 10+ year pros but if you eliminated 20 teams from the NFL I might put him next on the list. Are there any 25 year olds you'd put ahead of Brady, Manning, or Brees? probably not. I just think Stafford would be more successful in that era than Layne would be in this one.

November 22nd, 2013, 9:41 pm
RIP Killer

Killwill25 wrote:
I'm not ready to put Stafford ahead of 10+ year pros but if you eliminated 20 teams from the NFL I might put him next on the list. Are there any 25 year olds you'd put ahead of Brady, Manning, or Brees? probably not. I just think Stafford would be more successful in that era than Layne would be in this one.

It doesn't matter if Stafford is the best 25 year old QB in the NFL today. What is being discussed is whether he is the best QB in Lions history. The answer is no, not even close. Layne exhibited an ability to win football games against the competition. Case closed. Stafford hasn't proven he can beat mediocre competition, which these last two weeks have shown in a HUGE way.

Now stop all this fudge nonsense.

November 24th, 2013, 5:36 pm

m2karateman wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

It doesn't matter if Stafford is the best 25 year old QB in the NFL today. What is being discussed is whether he is the best QB in Lions history. The answer is no, not even close. Layne exhibited an ability to win football games against the competition. Case closed. Stafford hasn't proven he can beat mediocre competition, which these last two weeks have shown in a HUGE way.

And if CJ held onto that ball this would've been a Bobby Layne type win. I know these last two losses have been emotional but what are you talking about? He only beats mediocre competition....

I know Lane was great but I don't see the sense in comparing QBs from the superbowl era to those that came before. It's not even the same NFL

November 24th, 2013, 5:49 pm
RIP Killer

Killwill25 wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

And if CJ held onto that ball this would've been a Bobby Layne type win. I know these last two losses have been emotional but what are you talking about? He only beats mediocre competition....

I know Lane was great but I don't see the sense in comparing QBs from the superbowl era to those that came before. It's not even the same NFL

What good teams has he beaten? Please. What, they beat the Seahawks last year, and that's about the only real good team the Lions have beaten lately with Stafford at the helm. The Bears? They are the same as the Lions this year...lots of positive publicity, but not so inspiring in performance. And at least the Bears have an excuse with the injuries they've accumulated.

Good quarterbacks don't throw this many STUPID picks, and miss so many passes to open receivers. Great arm? Yes. Great mindset? No. And there's no debating that at all. He has stunk up the stadium too often to be considered a great NFL QB. Great NFL QBs don't throw multiple picks, and then lead a drive at the end to win a game that they single handedly almost gave away. That's not the hallmark of a great QB, that's the hallmark of a lucky QB. And today, his luck wasn't with him.

November 24th, 2013, 5:54 pm

Quote:
What good teams has he beaten?

I clearly said
Quote:
He only beats mediocre competition....

November 24th, 2013, 6:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next