View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 12:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 289 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
 Lions Have the Talent, Schwartz Needs to Go 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Lions Have the Talent, Schwartz Needs to Go
Every team misses on draft picks, even in the high rounds. While there have been some picks I'm sure Mayhew would love to have back, I don't think he's done a terrible job. Besides his drafting, there is also the question of his free agent signings, those he allowed to leave, and the trades he's made. Overall, he's done a pretty acceptable, but unspectacular, job of putting together this roster.

I have always been of the opinion that players play the game, and miscues on the field should be on their shoulders. I still maintain that thought. However, when you have multiple players screwing up, sometimes week after week, that falls ENTIRELY on the coaches. Yes, it does. The job of the coaching staff is to identify those issues and find ways to address them. Lions coaches are watching the same games we are. The issues obviously are not being taken care of with this team. Good coaches inspire their players to perform, no matter what method they use. It's what sets good coaches apart from the not so good coaches. As I've said before, Schwartz isn't inspiring these players at all. They don't seem to want to jump through rings of flame for him.

And putting an entire game on CJ for a ball knocked out of his hands is kind of rough, don't you think? There is no guarantee that if he makes that catch, the Lions win the game. And you can't point out that pass incompletion, while conveniently forgetting about all the other picks, missed open receivers, missed blocks, long pass plays given up and host of other mental screw ups the Lions peppered throughout the game.

The mentality of this team is not in a good place. They had their destiny in their hands and could have gone for the throat of Green Bay and Chicago these past two weeks and been in commanding position. Instead, they've chosen to sh!t the bed and wonder how the hell it happened. And some of you out there are holding your noses while saying 'I don't smell a thing'. Time to accept reality regarding this team. They were inspiring in the first half of the season. But, to quote Dennis Greene, 'they are who we thought they were'.

November 24th, 2013, 7:09 pm
Div 1 - Starter

I think I'm about ready to jump on the GROSL (Get Rid of Schwartz Later -- at the end of the season) bandwagon. This team just lacks a certain kind of toughness and consistency, and I'm wondering if another coach could give it to them.

When you consider the amount of talent that the Lions have on paper, would it be possible to attract a good, experienced coach?

I don't dislike Schwartz and I'm grateful for his taking a perenial doormat of a team and making them somewhat competitive. But at the same time, I get the sense that he's taken them as far as he can take them.

November 24th, 2013, 7:12 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Blueskies wrote:
There's a lot more to being a GM than just late round draft picks.

Ultimately, the GM's responsibility is to construct a talented roster. Has Mayhew done that? I think he has. The ways in which he acquires the talent (FAs, trades, whatever) are largely irrelevant.

Likewise, Schwartz's job is to get the most out of the talent that he has. Has he done that? I don't think so.

Sorry, but I don't consider 2nd to 5th rounders, " late round draft picks." Actually I believe that's where the meat of the team should be built from.

Good post by m2k. Although, saying Mayhew's " done a pretty acceptable, but unspectacular, job of putting together this roster " is being kind. Imo, he's learning as he goes and the team suffers because of it.

Also a good post by Growler. His statement, " I don't dislike Schwartz and I'm grateful for his taking a perennial doormat of a team and making them somewhat competitive. But at the same time, I get the sense that he's taken them as far as he can take them " mirrors my opinion of our coaching staff. Hopefully I'm wrong and they can get this thing turned around, there's still plenty of the season left to do so.

November 24th, 2013, 10:05 pm
RIP Killer

I thought the decision to go for it on 4th down around our 35 was absolutely terrible. Make it and you still have a hell of a long way to go, miss it and well you know.

November 25th, 2013, 9:44 am
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Killwill25 wrote:
How come no one is putting any of this loss of Calvin Johnson? He monumentally choked at the end. As bad as things were today, we probably win the game is Johnson does his job at the end. The playcalling was fine today

I dont know about putting it all on Calvin is quite rifght...but he certainly added to it.

How about the fact that in the last 4 weeks he IS responsable for not one, not 2, but 3 interceptions that bounced right off his chest. If he wasnt potentially the greatest to ever play the game, we'd be calling for his head right now.

November 25th, 2013, 1:28 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

regularjoe12 wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
How come no one is putting any of this loss of Calvin Johnson? He monumentally choked at the end. As bad as things were today, we probably win the game is Johnson does his job at the end. The playcalling was fine today

I dont know about putting it all on Calvin is quite rifght...but he certainly added to it.

How about the fact that in the last 4 weeks he IS responsable for not one, not 2, but 3 interceptions that bounced right off his chest. If he wasnt potentially the greatest to ever play the game, we'd be calling for his head right now.

exactly. if that was kevin ogletree dropping that pass at the end, he would undoubtedly be the goat of the game

November 25th, 2013, 1:48 pm
QB Coach

The officiating was suspect for several plays too! There were some calls with CJ having the defense inside his own jersey, and it didn't get called. Then, to have Fairley called for roughing the passer when he did a standard tackle during the play of the game. Very sad over all experience at Ford Field yesterday.

One thing I've noticed is that GOOD teams have a killer instinct. THey'll put a foot on the neck of their opponent and blow them out. Much like College teams are doing now. Detroit is not doing that at all. Defense Wide 9 isn't getting it done and the play calling for Offense is Vanilla! We need some fire, and have a taste of blood in our mouths going into this final stretch, but instead, we're going to let the rest of the NFC North catch up.

It's kind of sad when you have to root for the other teams in the NFCN to lose in order for the Lions to keep first place.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

November 25th, 2013, 2:00 pm
Heisman Winner

Most people will point to Stafford in this game but I'm a firm believer that so many of the mistakes the Lions make as a whole are fundamental football mistakes. Turnovers, penalties, blocked kicks, situational awareness and repetitive mental errors. This is coaching to me and when we finish at 8-8 or 9-7 and either miss or get easily bounced in the playoffs, it's time for a change.

I can't watch Schwartz football for much longer. I don't know that I've been as disinterested since Mayhew has taken over.

November 25th, 2013, 3:16 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

yostevo wrote:
Most people will point to Stafford in this game but I'm a firm believer that so many of the mistakes the Lions make as a whole are fundamental football mistakes. Turnovers, penalties, blocked kicks, situational awareness and repetitive mental errors. This is coaching to me and when we finish at 8-8 or 9-7 and either miss or get easily bounced in the playoffs, it's time for a change.

I can't watch Schwartz football for much longer. I don't know that I've been as disinterested since Mayhew has taken over.

2 of those picks CAN NOT be blaimed on Stafford. And The Pett duck makes a 3rd debatable. He didnt play perfectly, but he played well enough to win the game.

November 25th, 2013, 3:34 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

All of the picks were on Stafford except for the final one that CJ had knocked out of his hands on the hit. The Pettigrew throw he even acknowledged that he threw too soon and he threw it behind him. There's no debating that. The deflections don't happen if the ball is put in the right place and when you consistently throw behind receivers, which he did yesterday, you're going to end up with deflections which lead to interceptions.

We can talk about drops and how he doesn't have a solid #2, but Durham stepped up during Nate's absence, and Nate was back and played well. It's perfectly ok to place the blame where the blame should be and that's on Stafford for this game. Yes, there are plenty of other players that had poor games. But Stafford's play led to removing chances. And that's the problem.

November 25th, 2013, 8:01 pm
League MVP

njroar wrote:
All of the picks were on Stafford except for the final one that CJ had knocked out of his hands on the hit. The Pettigrew throw he even acknowledged that he threw too soon and he threw it behind him. There's no debating that. The deflections don't happen if the ball is put in the right place and when you consistently throw behind receivers, which he did yesterday, you're going to end up with deflections which lead to interceptions.

We can talk about drops and how he doesn't have a solid #2, but Durham stepped up during Nate's absence, and Nate was back and played well. It's perfectly ok to place the blame where the blame should be and that's on Stafford for this game. Yes, there are plenty of other players that had poor games. But Stafford's play led to removing chances. And that's the problem.

thats an interesing interpretation. stafford got hit as he threw the ball so while he may have acknowledged that it was thrown early, there really wasnt much choice in the matter - he did what he needed to do by putting it up albeit didnt lead pettigrew. still pett turns his head, sees the ball and DUCKS the ball. there is no debating that. if he reacts in anyway resembling an NFL player rather than a guy accidentally walking through a flag football game in a park the play doesnt go for a pick 6. pett isnt a trusted player with targets dropping massively over the past couple of years and plays like this one are the reason why. cant have guys going through the motions and then surprised when they are actually involved in a play...

November 28th, 2013, 3:18 am
Player of the Year - Defense

Oh I agree, the duck was a WTF moment, but If Stafford was feeling the pressure, throw it away instead of throwing it behind the player. Punting it away versus a pick 6... bad decisions and inconsistent throws.

November 28th, 2013, 9:57 am
RIP Killer

njroar wrote:
Oh I agree, the duck was a WTF moment, but If Stafford was feeling the pressure, throw it away instead of throwing it behind the player. Punting it away versus a pick 6... bad decisions and inconsistent throws.

+1

Where the ball was thrown on that pick was the issue, not Pettigrew ducking it. While I am not defending Pettigrew, he isn't the one that threw the ball to the wrong spot and gave up the pick six. Besides which, even if he hadn't ducked, I doubt he could have stopped that play from happening.

November 28th, 2013, 12:48 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

Only the Detroit Lions have a fan base whose coach takes a winless and historically terrible and depleted team from 0-16 to making the playoffs 2/3 years only to send him packing after their 40-10 drubbing of the Packers on Thanksgiving day.
I'm beginning to think that Lions fans just like having different head coaches. For you guys, the game is more about the head coaching position than about the game being played on the field.
I've said it a million times... If the Lions ever win a Superbowl, Lions fans would marginalize it somehow. Either they'll get too many penalties during the win or they'll sit your favorite lineman on 3rd down and you'll want a new head coach after winning it. Ridiculous.
I hate Linehan and wish they'd do something about the predictable playcalling, but whatever has been going on, it's working. The Lions have beaten their division opponents at least one time this season for the first time since 1999. But let's fire everyone and start rebuilding again because the wins didn't come in the fashion that I wanted them to.
When the Lions draft a player, if it's not who Lions fans want, I think they don't root for the player to become the player they want to see. I think they root for the player to suck, just so they're "right" about their mock drafts. People still want Suh to be traded, Calvin to be traded, and Hill to start. Funny bunch of squirrels, Lions fans are.

November 29th, 2013, 4:44 pm
League MVP

HechePipe wrote:
Only the Detroit Lions have a fan base whose coach takes a winless and historically terrible and depleted team from 0-16 to making the playoffs 2/3 years only to send him packing after their 40-10 drubbing of the Packers on Thanksgiving day.
I'm beginning to think that Lions fans just like having different head coaches. For you guys, the game is more about the head coaching position than about the game being played on the field.
I've said it a million times... If the Lions ever win a Superbowl, Lions fans would marginalize it somehow. Either they'll get too many penalties during the win or they'll sit your favorite lineman on 3rd down and you'll want a new head coach after winning it. Ridiculous.
I hate Linehan and wish they'd do something about the predictable playcalling, but whatever has been going on, it's working. The Lions have beaten their division opponents at least one time this season for the first time since 1999. But let's fire everyone and start rebuilding again because the wins didn't come in the fashion that I wanted them to.
When the Lions draft a player, if it's not who Lions fans want, I think they don't root for the player to become the player they want to see. I think they root for the player to suck, just so they're "right" about their mock drafts. People still want Suh to be traded, Calvin to be traded, and Hill to start. Funny bunch of squirrels, Lions fans are.

who said anything about rebuilding? lions clearly have talent now yet make tons of boneheaded mistakes. yes the team has improved but rarely puts together a complete game. schwartz deserves credits for his role in developing some of the talent but is he the best man now that the goal has changed from getting back to at least mediocrity to making some noise in the playoffs or even getting to a Super Bowl? not every coaching change requires a rebuild, Jon Gruden goes to Tampa Bay wins Super Bowl, Mike Tomlin takes over for Bill Cowher wins Super Bowl. George Seifer, Jimmy Johnson. Remember even with the Detroit Pistons they made a dramatic turnaround with Rick Carlisle then turned to Larry Brown to take the next step and got a championship

November 29th, 2013, 6:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 289 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next