View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 24th, 2014, 12:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Darn IT Reggie. Gameday thread. Turkey Day. 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Darn IT Reggie. Gameday thread. Turkey Day.
You lied. You said you would not fumble again this season.

http://www.lionbacker.com/chat/

November 28th, 2013, 1:43 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post Re: Darn IT Reggie. Gameday thread. Turkey Day.
BillySims wrote:
You lied. You said you would not fumble again this season.

http://www.lionbacker.com/chat/

lmao, he made a promise that he had no control over

November 28th, 2013, 3:09 pm
Hall of Fame Player

I swear Bush has more fumbles this year then Barry had his whole career.

November 28th, 2013, 3:21 pm
Team MVP

What an awesome win this is gonna be!

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

November 28th, 2013, 4:30 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Well, this is the total domination blow out you guys have been demanding. We spotted them 10 points to make it fair.

November 28th, 2013, 4:35 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Matt Flynn's career came full circle today. We've owed him an a**whoopin for 2 years and im glad we were able finally give it to him.

If you wanna call a whole defense "dirtbags" you damn well better protect your QB

November 28th, 2013, 5:21 pm
Div 1 - Starter

Perhaps overlooked in the win is the defense's stellar performance. The defense ended up shutting them out IMHO and produced 3 turnovers, a safety, and 7 sacks. Until the last drive, it looked like they were going to hold the Packers to under 100 yards total offense.

November 28th, 2013, 5:40 pm
Hall of Fame Player

How many of you are angry that we won so you can't be screaming for Schwartz's head right now? I know there is at least 1 of you on the Lions main board that wanted the Lions players to tank the rest of the season so Schwartz would get fired.

November 28th, 2013, 11:45 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

The Lions SHOULD have won this game by 14-20pts, sot hey outperformed. But most of that credit belongs to the D. 4 Turnovers is still completely unacceptable, and the offense continued to be sloppy. Luckily the D Smashed their O and the Backup QB, so we win by a wide margin. beats GB without Rodgers doesnt do anything for my opinion of Schwartz as the man to lead the Lions to a SB, but he made it through a week without atrocious calls so I'm satisfied.

November 29th, 2013, 5:07 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Hall of Fame Player

DJ-B wrote:
The Lions SHOULD have won this game by 14-20pts, sot hey outperformed. But most of that credit belongs to the D. 4 Turnovers is still completely unacceptable, and the offense continued to be sloppy. Luckily the D Smashed their O and the Backup QB, so we win by a wide margin. beats GB without Rodgers doesnt do anything for my opinion of Schwartz as the man to lead the Lions to a SB, but he made it through a week without atrocious calls so I'm satisfied.

I asked if you were rooting for the Lions to lose because of your desire for Schwartz to get fired.

November 29th, 2013, 11:50 am
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
How many of you are angry that we won so you can't be screaming for Schwartz's head right now? I know there is at least 1 of you on the Lions main board that wanted the Lions players to tank the rest of the season so Schwartz would get fired.

If you are referring to me Billy, I'm happy the team won and finally did so in convincing fashion. But the question is, can they maintain this type of dominating performance? Their remaining games aren't pushovers, and only one is against a division rival, with two on the road. If they play like they did today, they can win out the season. But which team will we see? The Green Bay Lions, or the Tampa Bay/Pittsburgh Lions?

In my opinion, this game very well may have saved Schwartz' job for this season, but it may not have. If somehow the Lions crap the bed and don't get into the playoffs, he should be fired immediately after the season.

But I still contend that this team isn't going deep into the playoffs under his direction. I think he's taken them about as far as he can. Despite their stellar Turkey Day performance, they still don't match up well enough to beat San Francisco, Seattle, Carolina, New Orleans and possibly not even Arizona. Getting them to the playoffs will have been as much due to the injuries in Green Bay and Chicago as it would be due to the teams performance, maybe moreso.

November 29th, 2013, 12:08 pm
Junior Varsity

m2karateman wrote:
BillySims wrote:

If you are referring to me Billy, I'm happy the team won and finally did so in convincing fashion. But the question is, can they maintain this type of dominating performance? Their remaining games aren't pushovers, and only one is against a division rival, with two on the road. If they play like they did today, they can win out the season. But which team will we see? The Green Bay Lions, or the Tampa Bay/Pittsburgh Lions?

In my opinion, this game very well may have saved Schwartz' job for this season, but it may not have. If somehow the Lions crap the bed and don't get into the playoffs, he should be fired immediately after the season.

But I still contend that this team isn't going deep into the playoffs under his direction. I think he's taken them about as far as he can. Despite their stellar Turkey Day performance, they still don't match up well enough to beat San Francisco, Seattle, Carolina, New Orleans and possibly not even Arizona. Getting them to the playoffs will have been as much due to the injuries in Green Bay and Chicago as it would be due to the teams performance, maybe moreso.

Don't disagree at all.
The Lions showed what they can do, it is now up to schwartz finish this off. I can easily see this team losing 3 more, which should be the end of schwartz. Reason being, we should win out, we are that good, but under schwartz I just don't see that happening.
I hope I am wrong.

November 29th, 2013, 12:21 pm
Hall of Fame Player

m2karateman wrote:
BillySims wrote:

Well, at least you now,(apparently), admit that the Cardinals are what I said they were, ( a much better team than most of you guys give them credit for being). I will take that as a sign of progress.

And no, I was not referring to anyone in particular other than the one guy on the Main board that was openly rooting for the Lions to lose.

And, I also suspect that we played both the Pittsburg and TBay games with 1 eye on this game against the Packers.

November 29th, 2013, 1:16 pm
QB Coach

Quote:
Column: Detroit Lions brutalize Packers, but let's not get too excited (yet)
-96b4c44f01f2ed55.JPG
Calvin Johnson races for the end zone during Thursday's 40-10 romp against Green Bay. (Mike Mulholland | MLive.com)
Print
Kyle Meinke | kmeinke@mlive.com By Kyle Meinke | kmeinke@mlive.com
Follow on Twitter
on November 29, 2013 at 5:59 AM, updated November 29, 2013 at 6:04 AM

Email

Lions vs. Packers

CB Darius Slay bounces back from benchings to deliver best game of Detroit Lions career
Column: Detroit Lions brutalize Packers, but let's not get too excited (yet)
MLive writers heap praise on Detroit Lions after team blasts Green Bay
Detroit Lions respond, violently, to 'scumbag' comment from Packers' Josh Sitton
Detroit Lions' decision to stick with Reggie Bush after fumble pays huge dividends
Grading the Detroit Lions: Defensive line responds with near-perfect performance in Thanksgiving drubbing of Packers
Detroit Lions overcome early turnover woes to massacre Packers on Thanksgiving
Blog recap: Detroit Lions get first Thanksgiving win in 10 years with 40-10 domination of Green Bay Packers
Detroit Lions turn to rookie Darius Slay with top CB Chris Houston out for Thanksgiving game
4 keys for Detroit Lions to avoid 3-game losing streak and a return to .500

All Stories |

DETROIT -- The Detroit Lions continue to play their best football when their back is against the wall, and you have to admire their resolve. They're not afraid, even when there's no margin for error.

But what about when there is margin for error? When there are expectations?

That's the unsolved question -- something that can't be answered in a 40-10 drubbing of Green Bay -- and is what will determine just how much this team achieves.

The Lions, facing a must-win scenario after consecutive losses, overwhelmed the Packers (5-6-1) in a game they had to have to maintain their division lead. That delights the hometown fans, who saw a winner on Thanksgiving for the first time since 2003.

But you don't learn a whole lot from the game, either. Detroit, after all, has thrived in this position before.

Dealing with the forthcoming expectations is what has proved problematic.

The Lions were 6-3 just a few weeks back, remember, and could have commanded a near-insurmountable division lead today had they taken care of business. Could have been in play for a first-round bye.

So if a team is so talented (it is), and if it's division is so wide open (it definitely is), the question is: Why were they facing a must-win in Week 12 while facing the NFL easiest schedule?

Because the Lions play with expectations like they've got sand in their cleats.

They ceded fourth-quarter leads each of the past two weeks -- against teams that combined for a 5-14 record -- and were in danger of sinking back to .500 team. They brought it on themselves, too, with an ill-advised fake field goal, blocked punt and a huge spike in turnovers.

That's the biggest thing holding back Detroit. Itself.

The Lions showed a bit of that Thursday, obliterating Green Bay in every way but the scoreboard early. They had nearly eight times the offense at halftime -- they had gained 297 more yards -- yet led just 17-10.
-d45afb717048ea56.JPGDetroit's Stephen Tulloch, left, and DeAndre Levy squish Green Bay's Ryan Taylor during Thursday's win. The defense delivered a debilitating performance. Mike Mulholland | MLive.com

That's because they turned over the ball on three of their first four drives, settled for a field goal on the other and later missed a field goal. Reggie Bush fumbled the ball, just seven days after promising not to do that again this year, and Matthew Stafford threw two picks just three days after professing ball security.

"We dug ourselves a hole again," center Dominic Raiola said. "We heard the boos -- heard all that, understandably. The (crowd) didn't want to see that again. I just told the guys in the huddle, 'Let's tighten up. Let's just draw closer together. All we got is the 11 guys on this field. Defense was busting their (butts). Lets' pull it together and get the offense rolling.'"

They did, rolling through the gaffes to score 37 unanswered points. Stafford bounced back from his rough start to throw touchdown passes to Calvin Johnson (20 yards), Jeremy Ross (5) and Kevin Ogletree (20).

Joique Bell and Bush each scored touchdowns and combined for 310 yards of offense, the pairing's best game to date. Detroit gained 561 yards overall while holding Green Bay to 126, the fewest yards it has allowed since 1992.
Justin Rogers and Kyle Meinke analyze Lions' win over the Packers Justin Rogers and Kyle Meinke analyze Lions' blowout win over the Green Bay Packers.
The defensive line showed particular maturity, using comments of scumbaggery as fuel to dismantle Green Bay without ever crossing the line. They have embraced their bad-boy image, going so far as to take the field together during pregame introductions in a show of solidarity.

Detroit, in other words, played well with its back against the wall.

"We answered the call," Bush said. "Our backs were against the wall, with the division and the race for first place, and everything was right there in front of us. We answered the call. That's the biggest thing

"I am impressed with the way we handled it. We handled the pressure well. We handled the situations and fought through adversity."

They did, in convincing fashion, and get all the credit in the world for it. But it's what they do next that has tripped them up in the past, and why long-term excitement should be tempered.

Detroit simply hasn't proven it can be trusted to maintain the kind of performance it delivered against Green Bay. Especially when it's expected to deliver that kind of performance.

The Lions showed more glimpses of what they're capable of, and it's seductive. But it's what they do next, as they transition back to division favorite, that will be far more telling.

Good article. It makes me sick to think we should be at worst 9-3 right now, and if were really turning the corner we'd be 11-1. I know even good teams lose close games, but you're supposed to beat the teams that are worse than you and without those glaring mistakes that we seem to make every week we should be blowing out some of these teams.

Arizona was a road game we screwed up late - yes they have a good D but their O isn't much to look at.

The first Green Bay game we had no chance without Calvin (had he played I think we could have won)

But for our rookie punter trying to do too much and making the worst kick of his season - we at least take Cincy to OT with a chance to win - they are a team better than us but we had a shot to beat them and should have

The Pitt game when you blow up for 27 points in a quarter you should be able to score 10 in the other 3 - its the same old story we don't adjust at half time

And the Bucs game is inexcusable at home to the worst team on your schedule. The coaches need to do something with this turnover machine we seem to be lately.

Yes, I'm happy for the Packers win and I'm hopeful we can carry that fire throughout the rest of the season and the playoffs. I'm just not convinced.

November 29th, 2013, 1:36 pm
Team MVP

I think I like Ansah.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

November 29th, 2013, 3:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next