View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 22nd, 2014, 1:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Darn IT Reggie. Gameday thread. Turkey Day. 
Pop Warner Allstar

Post Re: Darn IT Reggie. Gameday thread. Turkey Day.
kdsberman wrote:
I think I like Ansah.

Starting to love Ansah. While most of us were yelling at the TV because he hasn't played organized football for very long, I think now we can say that it's only a good thing. Without all of the wear and tear on his knees and legs from a lengthy high school and college football career, it's safe to say that the Lions could have Ansah for a very long time with low mileage on his knees and legs. The Ansah pick might be Mayhew's best draft move if he continues to thrive on this line.
Mayhew could've picked any number of players at that spot and nobody would've batted an eye, but he got as ballsy as you can get early in the first round by taking Ansah and it looks like it paid off.

November 29th, 2013, 4:08 pm
RIP Killer

I personally like the Devon Taylor pick better. A 4th round pick and he gets nearly as much pressure as ansah. Excellent value from that pick

November 29th, 2013, 5:31 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

conversion02 wrote:
I personally like the Devon Taylor pick better. A 4th round pick and he gets nearly as much pressure as ansah. Excellent value from that pick

If Slay can turn the corner, this could be, in my mind, the best draft we've ever seen.
Ansah - potential rookie pro-bowler
Warford - potential rookie pro-bowler
Taylor - 4th rounder with major starting potential
Slay - should he continue this play, a very viable starting CB
Martin - pro-bowl caliber punter
Riddick - nice rotational RB for a 6th rounder

Supposing Slay continues to progress, out of 7 picks in the first 6 rounds, the Lions will have hit on 6 of them. I'm going to assume that not many NFL teams hit on 6/7 of their draft picks in the same year and the Lions went out and got Reggie Bush who has been invaluable despite his recent fumbleitis.
FIRE MARTIN MAYHEW!

November 29th, 2013, 5:42 pm
Veteran General Manager

HechePipe wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
I think I like Ansah.

Starting to love Ansah. While most of us were yelling at the TV because he hasn't played organized football for very long, I think now we can say that it's only a good thing. Without all of the wear and tear on his knees and legs from a lengthy high school and college football career, it's safe to say that the Lions could have Ansah for a very long time with low mileage on his knees and legs. The Ansah pick might be Mayhew's best draft move if he continues to thrive on this line.
Mayhew could've picked any number of players at that spot and nobody would've batted an eye, but he got as ballsy as you can get early in the first round by taking Ansah and it looks like it paid off.

Ballsy, as in NOT fearing for his job, like a certain someone that used to frequent this board would have everyone believe.

November 29th, 2013, 5:44 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

BillySims wrote:
HechePipe wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
I think I like Ansah.

Ballsy, as in NOT fearing for his job, like a certain someone that used to frequent this board would have everyone believe.

Not quite sure I get the reference, but you could argue that he made the pick because he was on the hot seat or you can argue that he made the pick because he wasn't.

November 29th, 2013, 5:56 pm
League MVP

conversion02 wrote:

you are back!

November 29th, 2013, 6:21 pm
Veteran General Manager

HechePipe wrote:
BillySims wrote:
HechePipe wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
I think I like Ansah.

Not quite sure I get the reference, but you could argue that he made the pick because he was on the hot seat or you can argue that he made the pick because he wasn't.

We used to have a guy that was known as wjb that used to post on here. If you said the sky was blue, he would argue another color. He said things like, "Mayhew has totally F'ed the team by screwing up the cap so bad that we can't sign or resign anyone. And then Mayhew proved him wrong. He also kept saying that Schwartz and Mayhew were on the hot seat, so they will trade awy a bunch of future picks in an effort to save their jobs. He also said they would make the safe picks in an effort to do the same. Neither happened. And he quit posting here.

November 29th, 2013, 6:45 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

BillySims wrote:
HechePipe wrote:
BillySims wrote:
HechePipe wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
I think I like Ansah.

We used to have a guy that was known as wjb that used to post on here. If you said the sky was blue, he would argue another color. He said things like, "Mayhew has totally F'ed the team by screwing up the cap so bad that we can't sign or resign anyone. And then Mayhew proved him wrong. He also kept saying that Schwartz and Mayhew were on the hot seat, so they will trade awy a bunch of future picks in an effort to save their jobs. He also said they would make the safe picks in an effort to do the same. Neither happened. And he quit posting here.

I've lurked here for a while and I've found that most Lions fans are that way. If you want to see more of that, check out the Mlive comments section for articles on November 27th, then read the comments for articles posted after Turkey day. Lions fans are contrarian by nature, but only when other Lions fans have something positive to say about the team. Of course Lions fans don't WANT the Lions to lose, but they always predict that they will lose and are half-heartedly disappointed when they win because they can't say that they were right about their predictions. The majority of Lions fans, I think, would rather be right about whatever they think of the Lions in given situations than just enjoy a winning football team. Lots of fans would have rather seen Ansah be horrible rather than have him be the player he is so that they can double back and say, "I told you the Lions should've picked 'Player X' at number 5!!!"
It's like a type of twisted fantasy football where you cheer for mistakes rather than yards and TDs and Lions fans love it.
My favorite is the ever-so-subtle "The Lions can never win on Thanksgiving because Schwartz needs to be fired and Mayhew sucks! PROVE ME WRONG!!!" The penultimate Lions fan caveat... "Prove me wrong about how much I think you suck."

November 29th, 2013, 7:09 pm
Team MVP

conversion02 wrote:

Devin Taylor was my favorite pick when we drafted him.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

November 29th, 2013, 10:40 pm
RIP Killer

HechePipe wrote:
I've lurked here for a while and I've found that most Lions fans are that way. If you want to see more of that, check out the Mlive comments section for articles on November 27th, then read the comments for articles posted after Turkey day. Lions fans are contrarian by nature, but only when other Lions fans have something positive to say about the team. Of course Lions fans don't WANT the Lions to lose, but they always predict that they will lose and are half-heartedly disappointed when they win because they can't say that they were right about their predictions. The majority of Lions fans, I think, would rather be right about whatever they think of the Lions in given situations than just enjoy a winning football team. Lots of fans would have rather seen Ansah be horrible rather than have him be the player he is so that they can double back and say, "I told you the Lions should've picked 'Player X' at number 5!!!"
It's like a type of twisted fantasy football where you cheer for mistakes rather than yards and TDs and Lions fans love it.
My favorite is the ever-so-subtle "The Lions can never win on Thanksgiving because Schwartz needs to be fired and Mayhew sucks! PROVE ME WRONG!!!" The penultimate Lions fan caveat... "Prove me wrong about how much I think you suck."

Lions fans have become accustomed to being let down by this team, and after 56 years of continued frustration, I think they have a right to be cynical and wait for the other shoe to drop. And the current team, although they are winning more than they are losing, have still been disappointing at times. Losing to teams like Pittsburgh and Tampa Bay when the division is yours for the taking isn't what I would refer to as a sign of future promise.

Any person claiming to be a fan who is 'disappointed' when the team wins is not a fan. There have been times I've thought the team would lose, have stated so, and the team has won. I am neither disappointed nor upset when that happens. And just because a fan doesn't think Schwartz, or Mayhew or whomever in the organization isn't doing well and perhaps deserves to be fired or cut, doesn't mean they aren't a fan. Blind loyalty doesn't make you a fan. Being a fan means you want the team to win, and you want them to improve even when they do win. And if for the team to improve some heads have to roll, then so be it.

In regards to the draft, there is always going to be folks like me who prognosticate picks and who will talk about how the players they preferred have been more successful than the players actually taken. At the same time, there are those of us who will also admit when the picks we wanted versus who was selected turned into busts. When Ansah was selected, most people were hoping for an offensive tackle to fall to us at that spot. With the three top tackles already off the board and a great need at defensive end, I don't think too many were objecting to that position being the one targeted. Ansah was widely viewed as talented, yet raw. But other than Mingo, no other DEs were worth taking there. Most of us, I think, were hoping for a trade down scenario so that the Lions could get more picks and better value. I wouldn't call that being a poor fan, or being negative. It's still falls under hoping for the best for the team you love.

November 30th, 2013, 2:43 pm
Veteran General Manager

m2karateman wrote:
HechePipe wrote:

Lions fans have become accustomed to being let down by this team, and after 56 years of continued frustration, I think they have a right to be cynical and wait for the other shoe to drop. And the current team, although they are winning more than they are losing, have still been disappointing at times. Losing to teams like Pittsburgh and Tampa Bay when the division is yours for the taking isn't what I would refer to as a sign of future promise.

Any person claiming to be a fan who is 'disappointed' when the team wins is not a fan. There have been times I've thought the team would lose, have stated so, and the team has won. I am neither disappointed nor upset when that happens. And just because a fan doesn't think Schwartz, or Mayhew or whomever in the organization isn't doing well and perhaps deserves to be fired or cut, doesn't mean they aren't a fan. Blind loyalty doesn't make you a fan. Being a fan means you want the team to win, and you want them to improve even when they do win. And if for the team to improve some heads have to roll, then so be it.

In regards to the draft, there is always going to be folks like me who prognosticate picks and who will talk about how the players they preferred have been more successful than the players actually taken. At the same time, there are those of us who will also admit when the picks we wanted versus who was selected turned into busts. When Ansah was selected, most people were hoping for an offensive tackle to fall to us at that spot. With the three top tackles already off the board and a great need at defensive end, I don't think too many were objecting to that position being the one targeted. Ansah was widely viewed as talented, yet raw. But other than Mingo, no other DEs were worth taking there. Most of us, I think, were hoping for a trade down scenario so that the Lions could get more picks and better value. I wouldn't call that being a poor fan, or being negative. It's still falls under hoping for the best for the team you love.

Just because a person has "earned" the right to do something, doesn't mean that right should be exercised. Suppose I had the right to slap the crap out of someone. Should I do it? No. Crap splatters.

Second guessing draft picks isn't really what the discussion is about. That is going to happen. From virtually everyone. That don't sink into the mindset of the players like the constant drumbeat of negativity does. Have you ever heard of the power of positive thinking? If you were constantly ragged on or if you were regularly treated well, which environment would you function better in? Now multiply your right to have a poor attitude times more than a million fans. And place yourself in the shoes of any 1 of the 53 players on the Lions. Which environment do you think they could function better in? Just because you have the right to be ornery, doesn't mean you should.

November 30th, 2013, 3:08 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

There's a difference between always being negative like wjb was, and being critical of how things are working. I'm usually overly positive when it comes to expectations and seeing the good, even in a loss, but after a win we can still see some wrong, doesn't make us fair weather fans. The talent on this team should be having this type of result every week. And when we don't because of inconsistent play, that falls on the coaching.

We're accustomed to min-maxing the roster every season. We draft to increase the talent at a certain position. Why shouldn't the speculation include the coaching staff and upper management. Aren't they part of the entire process? Most games come down to 1-2 plays difference that can swing a game. Bad decisions consistently by the coaching staff are that much more amplified. Same with roster moves made by the GM or contracts signed by Leyland. We're not bad people for questioning whether or not after 5 seasons, a change should be made to improve the team.

I can understand wanting to bask in a big win, but with 10 days off, the questions are still going to be asked :) Just like the players can't sit on their laurels before heading to philadelphia next week, don't expect the fans to sit on theirs when there was still plenty of bad in this win.

November 30th, 2013, 3:55 pm
Veteran General Manager

njroar wrote:
There's a difference between always being negative like wjb was, and being critical of how things are working. I'm usually overly positive when it comes to expectations and seeing the good, even in a loss, but after a win we can still see some wrong, doesn't make us fair weather fans. The talent on this team should be having this type of result every week. And when we don't because of inconsistent play, that falls on the coaching.

We're accustomed to min-maxing the roster every season. We draft to increase the talent at a certain position. Why shouldn't the speculation include the coaching staff and upper management. Aren't they part of the entire process? Most games come down to 1-2 plays difference that can swing a game. Bad decisions consistently by the coaching staff are that much more amplified. Same with roster moves made by the GM or contracts signed by Leyland. We're not bad people for questioning whether or not after 5 seasons, a change should be made to improve the team.

I can understand wanting to bask in a big win, but with 10 days off, the questions are still going to be asked :) Just like the players can't sit on their laurels before heading to philadelphia next week, don't expect the fans to sit on theirs when there was still plenty of bad in this win.

I haven't seen anyone call you fair weather fans. I know you aren't or you would not have been anywhere to be found in the 0-16 season. I just think that most of those turn overs were the result of just plain dumb luck. They will happen. There are some of them that can and should be corrected. But, I believe that Schwartz can and will get them corrected. I am totally against even risking the next Wayne Fontes firing. And that is exactly what I believe we will get if Schwartz is fired. We are 5 years into Schwartz's first NFL HC gig. Guess what? That is usually how long it takes for a first time HC to get everything figured out. So, let's just fire him at the end of the season before he puts it all together. And who says that he won't have the Lions at their peak for the Playoffs?

November 30th, 2013, 4:20 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

BillySims wrote:
njroar wrote:

I haven't seen anyone call you fair weather fans. I know you aren't or you would not have been anywhere to be found in the 0-16 season. I just think that most of those turn overs were the result of just plain dumb luck. They will happen. There are some of them that can and should be corrected. But, I believe that Schwartz can and will get them corrected. I am totally against even risking the next Wayne Fontes firing. And that is exactly what I believe we will get if Schwartz is fired. We are 5 years into Schwartz's first NFL HC gig. Guess what? That is usually how long it takes for a first time HC to get everything figured out. So, let's just fire him at the end of the season before he puts it all together. And who says that he won't have the Lions at their peak for the Playoffs?

Don't you know that as a Lions fan, you're only supposed to make NEGATIVE projections, not positive ones!
That's Lions Fandom 101, rookie!

November 30th, 2013, 4:41 pm
Veteran General Manager

HechePipe wrote:
BillySims wrote:
njroar wrote:

Don't you know that as a Lions fan, you're only supposed to make NEGATIVE projections, not positive ones!
That's Lions Fandom 101, rookie!

I understand your humor there. But, look at my username. That should suggest that I am anything but a rookie. LOL.

November 30th, 2013, 5:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next