View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 12:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Josh Sitton stands by Lions are 'scumbags' remarks 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Josh Sitton stands by Lions are 'scumbags' remarks
Quote:
Josh Sitton stands by Lions are 'scumbags' remarks

By Kevin Patra
Around the League writer
Published: Nov. 29, 2013 at 09:14 a.m.
Updated: Nov. 29, 2013 at 10:25 a.m.

Hosting the Week 13 edition of Let The Sleeping Bear Lie is Green Bay Packers left guard Josh Sitton.

Sitton, you'll remember, called the Detroit Lions defensive front "dirtbags" and "scumbags" prior to their Thanksgiving Day showdown.

The Packers then became the Lions' punching bags.

Following the 40-10 loss -- in which the Lions outgained the Packers 561-126 -- Sitton called the game "embarrassing," but wasn't in the mood to withdraw his pregame comments:

"I said what I said," he said. "I'm not taking it back."

The Lions racked up seven sacks on the slow-triggered Matt Flynn, including a safety from Ndamukong Suh. Sitton clarified his pregame comments, pointing out he never said the Lions didn't have a good D.

"They play good. They play good up front," Sitton said. "No one ever said they're not a good front. We know that. I think they're probably the best inside front in the league. But like I said, I don't take anything I said back."

Good scumbags. Got it.

Detroit's defense played as if on a mission, but the team downplayed the idea that the comments provided added motivation.

Schwartz addressed the comments in a team meeting Wednesday night, so you know every man wearing Honolulu Blue was well aware Thursday.

"I don't know if you take it personally, but you sure as heck hear it," quarterback Matthew Stafford said. "It's a fine line of making sure it motivates you and making sure you don't step over the bounds on the field. Those guys are motivated enough. This is the NFL. You don't need any extra motivation."

Perhaps they didn't need it, but the extra motivation sure didn't hurt, either.

November 29th, 2013, 11:38 am
Pop Warner Allstar

Post Re: Josh Sitton stands by Lions are 'scumbags' remarks
The Packers were a team that I hated, but still respected because I've seen what they've done to the Lions over the past 25 years or so. I never thought they would turn into a group of ref-pushing, crying babies after losing a few games. I can only hope that the Packers become dismantled the same way the Lions became dismantled after the loss of Barry. Of course I know they won't because Aaron Rogers is a great quarterback and there is no way that a team with a future HOF quarterback ever gets as bad a the Lions were, but one can hope. If Rogers were ever to leave the Packers, at this point they are looking really horrible.
That defense is just atrocious, but what would concern me most is that offensive line, which I think is the hardest unit and the most crucial unit to get good performers at (as Lions fans know).
I know the Lions have a good front, but 7 sacks? If their line remains this bad, Aaron Rogers might be headed somewhere else... Either another team or a stretcher.

November 29th, 2013, 1:00 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Well, if 3 Concussions has become the benchmark for the NFL, ( Javid Best + 3 concussions = out of the league), then Rogers is only 1 good concussion away from being done.

But, the NFL will never let that be the rule for the star players on their darling teams. Only for the star players from teams that the commissioner has a major hate for.

November 29th, 2013, 1:27 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

BillySims wrote:
Well, if 3 Concussions has become the benchmark for the NFL, ( Javid Best + 3 concussions = out of the league), then Rogers is only 1 good concussion away from being done.

But, the NFL will never let that be the rule for the star players on their darling teams. Only for the star players from teams that the commissioner has a major hate for.

I don't think Goodell hates the Lions, but if there is such a conspiracy, it's because the Lions aren't a very marketable team. It seems that the highly marketable teams are always doing well, though.
Pittsburgh, huge market and highly recognizable merch... Nearly always a winning record, merch flies off the shelves.
New England, huge market, Tom Brady, always a winning record, merch flies off the shelves
Green Bay, national market, Rodgers, historic team, rarely a losing record, merch flies off the shelves.
Chicago, big national market, superbowl shuffle, Ditka, Hester, been good for a long time, marketable merchandise.
NYG/NYJ, big city market, Manning, Coughlin, Strahan was a media darling and so is Eli, I think this year is definitely a fluke.
49ers, Harbaugh is a darling and Capernick is as well, and it's without question the biggest market in the west, merch flies off shelves
And now look out for Seattle... Wilson is a posterboy, Carrol is a football legacy, their secondary uses PEDs... But it's all good because Seattle is a huge market.

Are these teams successful because they are good markets or are they good market teams because they are successful? Some of the perennial losers are in big markets, but those are exceptions to the rule and are not necessarily always bad teams.
Your Detroit Lions, on the other hand, has trouble selling anything other than Megatron jerseys, has a small market (Detroit has about 800,000 residents last I checked), and no media darlings. Perennial losers.
If you wanted to make a case for a conspiracy, there are arguments to be made.

November 29th, 2013, 1:58 pm
League MVP

packers had a guy who was trying to pick fights left and right with fauria, reiff and some others and also pushed the ref. we ll see if he even gets fined.

November 29th, 2013, 2:14 pm
Hall of Fame Player

The Legend wrote:
packers had a guy who was trying to pick fights left and right with fauria, reiff and some others and also pushed the ref. we ll see if he even gets fined.

I don't think Goodell can do anything but give him at least a small fine for the ref push. If he don't, then he loses the credibility to fine anyone else for doing the same thing.

November 29th, 2013, 2:51 pm
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
The Legend wrote:

I don't think Goodell can do anything but give him at least a small fine for the ref push. If he don't, then he loses the credibility to fine anyone else for doing the same thing.

Williams will definitely get fined, but it will be something trivial. It won't be near to what it would be if it was a Lions player, that's for sure.

November 29th, 2013, 6:02 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

I'd rather be a winning scumbag than a ref-pushing, fight-starting, pre-game trash-talking loser. Sitton, next time you call someone a scumbag, make damn sure that you don't lose to said scumbag and your team doesn't look like the scumbags that you accused the opposition of being.
Nice to see that Sitton isn't even classy when he's totally outclassed. Packer fan will always remember you as the clown that gave the Lions the motivation to annihilate your team on Thanksgiving. Of course they needed no such motivation, but Sitton provided it anyway. America loves a winner, but even more than that, America loves to see a superstar team get knocked down a few pegs. This Thanksgiving, haters everywhere rejoiced the GB loss.

November 29th, 2013, 7:56 pm
QB Coach

Did anyone see Sitton spit on himself on National TV prior to the game? He went to spent and it hung up in that massive beard and it was on TV for a brief second before they cut to the announcers. If I were Detroit Media, I'd be playing that link over and over, working the noise he keeps talking about our D line being "scum bags" and illustrate him spitting on himself, or something like that.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

November 30th, 2013, 11:07 am
RIP Killer

WarEr4Christ wrote:
Did anyone see Sitton spit on himself on National TV prior to the game? He went to spent and it hung up in that massive beard and it was on TV for a brief second before they cut to the announcers. If I were Detroit Media, I'd be playing that link over and over, working the noise he keeps talking about our D line being "scum bags" and illustrate him spitting on himself, or something like that.

I think everyone saw that, too bad for those eating Turkey early - yuck.

I'm glad the Lions are scumbags, that isn't a terrible reputation to have in football. It sure beat being the Laughingstock.

December 2nd, 2013, 11:59 am
Profile WWW
Pop Warner Vet

So glad we don't have players that run their mouths. These are the ramblings of a loser.

I really liked the comments after the Chicago game about dirty play against QBs, isn't that what our D gets paid for?

December 2nd, 2013, 1:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]