View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 20th, 2014, 6:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 2014 Tigers 
League MVP

Post Re: 2014 Tigers
conversion02 wrote:
I'm hearing they're talking to choo to play LF

Choo - Ajax - Hunter
Castellanos - Iggy - Kinsler - Miggy
Avila

I would love to see infante resigned on a 2 yr deal to play third. He could help ease castellanos into third and play second or short. Infante is a very solid defender who has been underrated. Also, peralta still has to be in play for third base as well. I can't see 3 yr $45M that he wants being even approachable though.

Also, hearing Ajax name being mentioned by DD as on the trading block.

i would definitely be thinking that another trade is coming prior to any big signings. common sense seems to indicate that there is more money for scherzer but i think this trade freed up money for this offseason and with the amount of work left it just makes it less likely they do anything with max right now. there s no point in extending him right now bc his value is at an all time high. they can pay him this year at whatever his arbitration value will end up being. if he has another big year they can bid on him then or let him walk. it might make sense to trade him now bc his value is so high and it could set things up for the next 5 years - however it seems the Tigers are always playing for now not later. still porcello or fister for a solid back end reliever, 3B, or corner outfielder are all possibilities right now. i think choo would be a great addition - works the count to wear down pitchers, hits for extra bases, lefty hitter, can bat at top or middle of order, runs well and will be a very good corner outfielder. kind of surprised we have not signed a closer yet, maybe we re waiting for some other team to set the market first unlike in past years when we signed Benoit to a big contract. im not sure i fully understand trading jackson, seemed to me he was a lil off bc of health reasons both offensively and defensively but it could mean the tigers dont trust his bat and are willing to spend even more to fill his position. also, i agree with CO2 that infante and peralta are both good solid players. i think infante will have more value on the market right now bc he s a better defender and isnt coming off a PEDs suspension but if Jhonny doesnt get reasonable offers maybe he could play 3B and transition to utility role as castellanos gets remolded back to 3B.

November 22nd, 2013, 5:50 am
RIP Killer

Peralta apparently is looking for 4 or 5 years in the 55-75M range. LOL

November 22nd, 2013, 7:43 pm
League MVP

Would anyone go for a Max Scherzer trade for Carlos Gonzalez?

Gonzalez will be 28 yo, left fielder is a left handed hitter who could easilty drop into middle of the order to replace fielder's bat. contract has 4 years/$63.5 million left on his contract then would hit free agency in 2018. I think he s a better bet than either Ellsbury or Choo and might be a little bit better contract than would have to give those guys. Downside is would be giving up Scherzer instead of a first round pick. Also, the mere act of letting Scherzer walk after 2014 would net the Tigers a first round pick so there would probably have to be some additional considerations involved with such a trade.

November 23rd, 2013, 1:28 pm
Hall of Fame Player

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20131122/SPORTS0104/311220115/Did-Robinson-Cano-take-private-jet-Detroit-today-Tigers-aren-t-talking?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CFRONTPAGE

November 23rd, 2013, 9:13 pm
League MVP

conversion02 wrote:
Peralta apparently is looking for 4 or 5 years in the 55-75M range. LOL

wow, 4 yrs/$52million to go to the cardinals. weird that he didnt get hurt by the PEDs. doubled his salary

wonder what he would have gotten had dombro not let him return to the team or leyland not let him playin the postseason

November 24th, 2013, 7:06 pm
League MVP

Not sure I like what the Tigers have done to this point. Trade Fielder was good but only if they used some of the recouped salary to make some additional moves. Signing Nathan was good but not quite enough for the bullpen. The Fister trade looks like we got a really weak return - definitely nothing of significance that makes the team dramatically better in 2014. Now, at today's presser Dombrowski basically said the Tigers are not chasing any big name free agents now that they ve landed Kinsler. He also said there are no more glaring needs. Basically that makes Nick Castellanos, a poor fielder to begin with but who has been playing outfield for 1.5 seasons the new 3B, and Andy Dirks again the left fielder. Ian Kinsler perhaps becomes the leadoff hitter. Bullpen figures to have open competition for a couple of spots and backup catcher probably has an opening bw Bryan Holaday and a nonroster invitee.

Currenty Projected Team:

SP Verlander, Scherzer, Sanchez, Smyly, Porcello

Comparison with 2013 - Scherzer and Sanchez had career seasons and are likely to regress. Verlander is likely to return to true Ace form which he was in the post season. Fister to Smyly is a downgrade. Smyly never pitched into the 7th inning when he was a Tigers starter in 2012. Porcello figures to be on the upswing and be a little better than last year. Overall, the starting rotation will not be a small downgrade.

RP Krol, RP Coke, RP Alburquerque, RP Putkonen, RP Rondon, CP Nathan

Dombrowski also said he will not be bringing back Benoit. Meanwhile the Tigers traded Fister to Washington without landing Tyler Clippard and the Padres traded a long coveted Tigers target setup man Luke Gregerson for Seth Smith - a left handed hitting 31 yo outfielder who is not particulary impressive and not even a full time player. Oakland also landed saves leader Jim Johnson for a washed out minor leaguer Jemile Weeks. Thats far better bullpen management than the Tigers moves of signing Nathan and putting trust in Rondon again to be a setup guy. Krol is a downgrade from Smyly as a lefty. Hate to say it but I dont see how this bullpen is improved except at closer - particularly with the Tigers starters losing the workhorse Fister. Even at closer, Benoit did great there except for the pitch to Ortiz.

Lineup: Kinsler 2b, Dirks LF, Cabrera 1B, Martinez DH, Hunter RF, Jackson CF, Avila C, Castellanos 3B, Iglesias SS

Lost is Fielder s bat at 1B which wont be replaced fully by Castellanos. Cabrera will play defensively better at 1B than Prince and Castellanos while not a slick fielder should be a better 3B than Cabrera. At SS Iglesias is a big defensive upgrade and a big offensive downgrade. Likely he s an overall downgrade especially early on. Kinsler will hit for more power than Infante but worse average and probably about equal defensively. Hunter figures to be about the same as a year ago. Avila should improve after an awful 1st half. Jackson likely does better and hits for more power out of the leadoff spot - also his health if its improved could lead to some baserunning. Dirks in LF, he s okay but hasnt seized the job despite a couple opportunities.

Bench: Lombardozzi, Kelley, Holaday, Utility IF

THis is a no hit group.

Manager: Rookie Ausmus replaces veteran Leyland. Hard to figure what Ausmus will be like but Leyland was as steady as it gets. Tough to see this as an improvement.

Prediction: I think the Tigers struggle in the regular season but do end up taking the divion led by starting pitching mostly but get bounced in the ALDS.

December 4th, 2013, 10:10 pm
League MVP

Im going to go ahead and call that the Tigers will trade for Brett Gardner from the Yankees

December 8th, 2013, 3:09 pm
RIP Killer

I'd love to see it, but I'd hate having to trade. We have no farm and the Stanks will want far too much

Plus, they'd be better off having ichiro be a part timer as Beltran has a big arm but is a liability defensively

December 8th, 2013, 3:45 pm
League MVP

Looks like they just went ahead and signed Rajai Davis to a 2 year contract. He cant hit or get on base but has some serious speed.

December 10th, 2013, 11:20 am
Heisman Winner

The Legend wrote:
Looks like they just went ahead and signed Rajai Davis to a 2 year contract. He cant hit or get on base but has some serious speed.

He hits lefties very well, (over 300). Decent signing, won't be an every day player but makes a solid platoon with Dirks and can steal bases with the best of them. It's a good thing we can hid him in left though because he's not a great defender.

December 10th, 2013, 12:45 pm
League MVP

aManNamedSuh wrote:
The Legend wrote:

He hits lefties very well, (over 300). Decent signing, won't be an every day player but makes a solid platoon with Dirks and can steal bases with the best of them. It's a good thing we can hid him in left though because he's not a great defender.

nice find suh

in the last 3 years davis is hitting .297 avg/.363 obp/.818ops vs left handed pitching. thats actually very good and he has doubles power vs lefties.
vs rt handers he is .232/.269/.598 which is abysmal

On the flip side of the platoon, Dirks (left handed bat) is

vs righties .278/.333/.751
vs lefties .265/.328/.720

actually could be a sneaky good signing if dirks can stay healthy and not have to play davis vs righties.

December 10th, 2013, 1:03 pm
RIP Killer

Or even a pitch runner in the late innings, we will see. Not a bad signing. Love to see a capable reliever though. Maybe Rodney for the 8th, I'd like that.

December 10th, 2013, 10:21 pm
Heisman Winner

conversion02 wrote:
Or even a pitch runner in the late innings, we will see. Not a bad signing. Love to see a capable reliever though. Maybe Rodney for the 8th, I'd like that.

Rodney will be priced out of Detroit, but I read a rumor that the Tigers have interest in Joba Chamberlain, he's been injured a great deal of time over the course of the last couple of years but he could be an interesting low budget signing. My guess is he won't want to come to Detroit after playing in New York for so long, but who knows.

December 11th, 2013, 10:59 am
RIP Killer

Jobber may not have a choice. He's been craptastic since 2009.

I figured Rodney will want too much, but jobber has a $3M on the table for next year. Why not double that and give it to someone who doesn't suck?

December 11th, 2013, 10:08 pm
League MVP

conversion02 wrote:
Jobber may not have a choice. He's been craptastic since 2009.

I figured Rodney will want too much, but jobber has a $3M on the table for next year. Why not double that and give it to someone who doesn't suck?

what a waste of $2.5 million

December 12th, 2013, 9:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next