View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 26th, 2014, 2:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 289 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 20  Next
 Lions Have the Talent, Schwartz Needs to Go 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Lions Have the Talent, Schwartz Needs to Go
HechePipe wrote:
I'm willing to bet that prior to week 5, nobody thought the Lions would be at 7-5 right now outside of a few kool aid drinking slappys.
Nobody really thought they had the talent, but here they are at 7-5 with a soft remaining schedule.

I Thought I would investigate this in detail. Not as evidence to support or deny your comment, but because I was curious.

My "Not Really A Predicition" prediction: I cant be the only 1 whod rather go 5-11 than 8-8 can I. 8 wins likely keeps the current regime in place, as they will be "trending up" again. To Me I want Playoffs/ 9 wins+ for real proof of a potential future or another 6win or less season that gets the entire staff poop.

Preseason Predictions from the Predictions Thread:
BillySims: 11-5, We win the division and represent the NFC in the Super Bowl
Shotty: 11-5, 2nd place in the division, 6th seed
Liontrax: Should win 10, could win 12, but will probably win 8. Sucks to be middle of the road!
thelomasbrowns: 9-7
M2K: 8-8 - It ends up coming out to 8-8, with the Lions winning games they shouldn't, and losing games they should win. I would say the reality is our team could go anywhere from 5-11 to 10-6, depending on the breaks, the injuries and how many times Schwartz screws up game and/or clock management.
Growler: 8-8 - However, if the offense can show some spark and if the defensive line is good and the secondary above average and if a couple balls bounce their way, maybe they could get to 10-6.
ILF: 8-8 - I can see up to 10-6 but I think 7-9 or 8-8 is more realistic
kdsberman: I say 7-8 wins. Tough division doesn't help.
Hystrix: I say we would be fortunate to win 8.
Conversion: 7-9 - (Made June 1st, Almost all other Predictions from late August-Sept)
Legend: 6-10
UK Lion: 6-10
waitingsince62: I’ve been a Lions fan for over 50 years, and that part of me (knowing what usually happens) says 5-11 at best, but I’m hoping for at least 8-8. Seems every new season brings hope and promise but ends up in bitterness and disappointment. That’s the sad fate of being a Lions fan.
I.E.: Lions flirt with .500 all year, and go into the annual Turkey Day match at 6-5 ... only to bust out 5 losses in a row against tough competition to end the season 6-10. And the silver lining is, the Lions finally move on from a terrible coach.

December 5th, 2013, 6:57 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Player of the Year - Defense

But we didn't poll people and ask, "how good is the Lion's roster?" While that's a similar question to season predictions, it certainly isn't the same.

And lots of players have demonstrated how talented they are this year, without the scoreboard reflecting that. Many people were skeptical of Stafford because of last season -- I think he's proven that' hes top-10. No one was sure if Reggie was still a top back after his time in Miami -- now it looks like he is. Other players like Levy, Pettigrew, and most of the offensive line, have really taken a step forward and demonstrated their competency.

December 5th, 2013, 7:23 pm

I agree those are separate questions. Also relevant based on our discussion is how people felt the coaching Impacted those predictions. As I said, me pulling that info isn't really a connotation on the current discussion as much as a "I wonder what everyone else thought" based on Heche's comment.

Honestly I still feel exactly the same way. If we lose 2+ of the last 4 and fail to make the playoffs at 9-7 or 8-8 I would be happy to see the Coaching Staff replaced with the following Caveats (1) Not a Drastic System Change, bring in someone who wants to work with the current talent.. not a "System Coach", (2) A Proven Winning NFL Level Head Coach, (3) Someone who will Focus on Disciplined and Accountable Football, on and off the field.

If we win 3 & take the Division or Win 2, make the Playoffs and Play strong, then I say See if the Current Staff has positive Momentum (especially with this new Leadership Council of Vet Players) and can iron out the last few Major Coaching issues (Penalties, Ball Security, Fundamentals) as well as fixing the CB Void and 2nd WR need in the offseason and see what happens next year. I dont Hate Schwartz, Im just not at all confident he can ever get us where we need to go.

December 5th, 2013, 7:48 pm
Profile ICQ WWW

I think if Schwartz stays, they need to take a look at the coordinators.

It's not that I hate Linehan's system, but I think the play calling at times needs to not take the foot off the pedal when they do.

Same with the D. I love gunther, but I love the old gunther that dialed up the blitzes more frequently. I'm not crazy about the wide-9 and the systems they have the DB's playing. With our DL, I think they could be a lot more aggressive and think we give up too much underneath, with the underneath going as far out as 15 yards, which doesn't stop movement down the field.

Slight changes in the play calling on both sides without complete systematic changes could be what the team needs to make that jump. I still think there's consistency issues that come down to how the team is run overall, but I think if they didn't let other teams back into games at times, it would quickly be overshadowed.

December 5th, 2013, 9:32 pm
3rd Round Selection

I made my 6-10 prediction based on what I saw on the roster. I didn't think this team had improved talent wise from last season, to be honest.

As it turns out, there have been some really nice surprises on that score. Ansah and Taylor have done great, Quinn has been a big upgrade. Delmas has stayed healthy so far (jinxed it now ... ). Levy and Tulloch have really stepped up. Palmer's not seen the field a huge % of the time, and when he has hasn't been the liability I expected. Durham's done a better than expected job. The revamped O-line has been a huge surprise - Warford and Waddle have been way better than expected, Reiff has proven he deserved the LT job.

On the coaching front, I think our play calling on offense has improved and what the coaches have done to turn this team round from dreadful vs the run to solid is excellent.

There are still too many penalties and mental mistakes, but for me this team has turned out much better than I expected in August.

December 6th, 2013, 9:49 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I've been saying this since the 53 second thread. However, unlike some others, I'll admit everything I've ever said that has been proven or speculated wrong. I once thought that Schwartz would be a good coach. I was wrong. It wasn't the first time and it won't be the last. :D

December 7th, 2013, 4:02 pm
League MVP

Blueskies wrote:
But we didn't poll people and ask, "how good is the Lion's roster?" While that's a similar question to season predictions, it certainly isn't the same.

And lots of players have demonstrated how talented they are this year, without the scoreboard reflecting that. Many people were skeptical of Stafford because of last season -- I think he's proven that' hes top-10. No one was sure if Reggie was still a top back after his time in Miami -- now it looks like he is. Other players like Levy, Pettigrew, and most of the offensive line, have really taken a step forward and demonstrated their competency.

i agree with this statement. it wasnt that i thought the roster was bad i just thought they d lack discipline and schwartz would make some bad decisions - both have been true but the lions have been good enough to overcome that for the most part so far.

December 8th, 2013, 11:08 am

And Turnovers do us in yet again. Stafford has a sucky game. Without Ross having a Near Record Setting day with 2 ST TDs we put up 8 pts on offense, and gave up 34.

Here were Our Possessions:

DET: 3 plays, 7 yards, 1:29 - Punt
DET: 10 plays, 44 yards, 6:41 - Fumble
DET: 8 plays, 50 yards, 4:06 - Fumble
DET: 3 plays, 0 yards, 0:55 - Punt
DET: 5 plays, 20 yards, 2:04 -Offensive Touchdown
DET: 3 plays, 4 yards, 1:35 - Punt
DET: 3 plays, 5 yards, 0:49 - End of Half
DET: 8 plays, 39 yards, 4:38 - Punt
DET: 1 play, 58 yards, 0:00 - Touchdown - ST - Ross Punt Ret
DET: 6 plays, 21 yards, 3:41 - Punt
DET: 0 plays, 0 yards, 0:14 - Touchdown - ST - Ross KO Ret
DET: 3 plays, -5 yards, 0:53 - Punt
DET: 2 plays, 12 yards, 1:03 - Fumble
DET: 4 plays, 0 yards, 0:25 - Downs

9 Penalties (vs 1) for 48 Yds 9 (vs 5) - To be Fair at least 2 of the Calls were bogus and the Eagles OL Held almost all game with No Calls.

Still Embarrassed to be a fan yet again.

December 8th, 2013, 5:18 pm
Profile ICQ WWW

Ready to get on the fire Schwartz bandwagon?

December 8th, 2013, 5:18 pm
3rd Round Selection

Blueskies wrote:

Nope.

It's going to take a lot to convince me that Schwartz is responsible for the refs: calling a TD when the receiver is out the back, calling 2 non-existent calls to give the Eagles 8pts at a crucial point in the game, ignoring a helmet tackle on a Lions fumble, allowing the Eagles line to hold all day.

It's going to take a lot to convince me that Schwartz is responsible for Raiola and Stafford messing up the snap SIX times. I'm sorry, I don't expect an NFL head coach to have to tell players who have been playing football for decades, and playing together for half a decade, how to secure the centre/QB exchange.

Is there anything about today's loss that you can pin on Schwartz? It's just a general feeling of frustration, where you can't pin it on the players because that involves changing too much so the easy out is the coach*.

*not that I'm doing this with the refs at all ;)

December 8th, 2013, 5:41 pm
League MVP

UK Lion wrote:
Blueskies wrote:

Nope.

It's going to take a lot to convince me that Schwartz is responsible for the refs: calling a TD when the receiver is out the back, calling 2 non-existent calls to give the Eagles 8pts at a crucial point in the game, ignoring a helmet tackle on a Lions fumble, allowing the Eagles line to hold all day.

It's going to take a lot to convince me that Schwartz is responsible for Raiola and Stafford messing up the snap SIX times. I'm sorry, I don't expect an NFL head coach to have to tell players who have been playing football for decades, and playing together for half a decade, how to secure the centre/QB exchange.

Is there anything about today's loss that you can pin on Schwartz? It's just a general feeling of frustration, where you can't pin it on the players because that involves changing too much so the easy out is the coach*.

who is responsible when the conditions are terrible yet the Lions stay in shotgun formations all game, continuing to do so despite 5-6 fumbled snaps? who is responsible for the change in strategy once the team went up by 14 points, no longer trying to push the ball downfield where they had some plays open? who is responsible for relegating the offense to run plays out of the shotgun all game? it doesnt take a genius to know that they should ve abandoned the shotgun formation especially when there strategy turned to pounding the ball to bell and setting him up for screens.

December 8th, 2013, 6:13 pm

The Legend wrote:
UK Lion wrote:
Blueskies wrote:

Nope.

who is responsible when the conditions are terrible yet the Lions stay in shotgun formations all game, continuing to do so despite 5-6 fumbled snaps? who is responsible for the change in strategy once the team went up by 14 points, no longer trying to push the ball downfield where they had some plays open? who is responsible for relegating the offense to run plays out of the shotgun all game? it doesnt take a genius to know that they should ve abandoned the shotgun formation especially when there strategy turned to pounding the ball to bell and setting him up for screens.

I agree, UK. I wish we could start getting some names from the people constantly calling for Schwartz to be fired.

December 8th, 2013, 6:25 pm
QB Coach

Killwill25 wrote:
The Legend wrote:
UK Lion wrote:
Blueskies wrote:

Nope.

I agree, UK. I wish we could start getting some names from the people constantly calling for Schwartz to be fired.

I agree that the coach isn't the person who fumbles or makes dumb plays. That is obvious. But the coach is the person who sets the tone for the team and is the person who decides whether the people making stupid mistakes week after week will be held accountable. Schwartz hasn't done that, and that's his fault. It's not a coincidence that certain coaches always have disciplined teams who don't tend to make mistakes that kill their chances, and other coaches do.

As for naming another coach, I have already. Gruden. I'd take him every day of the week. That's just off the top of my head without even spending time to look up college coaches who I think could make the transition. Bottom line for me is that the Lions are consistently making mistakes that cost them wins, and that seems to be a cultural thing. They need someone who's going to change that culture. It may not be fair to put that all on the coach, but that's how it goes. When players play well, coach is a genius. When they play like idiots, coach is a dummy. It's not fair, but it's reality.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

December 8th, 2013, 6:31 pm
League MVP

Grades:

QB - I didnt think his passing was that bad given the conditions but whats up with the snaps and fumbles? He did miss some throws though it seemed like there were more drops. On a couple of the missed throws it looked like he made lazy throws despite no pressure. He just didnt seem to be fully dialed in today like he was a week ago. Where were the defensive reads, audibles, calling the plays at the line, keeping everyone else on the same page. Lions offense looked out of sync too often. D-

RB - Bell ran fairly well though his best run included a fumble. He also dropped an easy pass. 2 fumbles for Bell after long drives. Somehow they were okay at that point in the game but then changed there playcalling/aggressiveness as if they had scored TDs on those drives. Bell did get a TD and a 2pt pass. Bush gets penalized for getting injured before the game but after inactive lists announced. D+

WR - Hard to tell if they werent getting open or if it was bc the gameplan went away from them. Drops by Dickerson, Burleson, Durham were totally unacceptable. Fauria appeared to give a garbage effort when targeted in the red zone. As a group these guys werent a factor and when needed they were totally unreliable. D-

OL - It looked like they did get some push even when Waddle was replaced by Fox. Raiola had a bad game if you take into account the fumbles by Stafford, though I dont blame him for the ineligible downfield. Later in the game there was too much passrush and Reiff had a bad penalty costing the team a shot at a 2 point conversion. C+

DL - I thought they played really well for most of the game. The Fairley and Suh penalties for late hit and holding were total nonsense but as a group they couldnt generate pressure later in the game when the Eagles started picking on Chris Houston. They did have several presnap penalties. Later in the game, the DL was a nonfactor vs the run but they werent just getting blown off the ball. C-

LB - Levy was horrible and didnt look like he even wanted to be out there. Any talk of him going to the Pro Bowl is a total joke IMO, I dont care how many INTs Ndamukong Suh gift wrapped for him - unless Cunningham puts him on a run blitz he cannot make downfield plays vs the run. He reads and reacts to plays extremely slow and doenst hustle to help teammates that are in the act of tackling. His missed tackle on Chris Polk was a classic effort from him. On a truly talented team Levy is a nickle coverage linebacker only not a 3 down LB. Palmer was bad and got burned vs the run which is his strongest attribute. Tulloch looked like he actually gave a damn but couldnt do enough to make a difference and got caught in the wash. F

DBs - Houston was getting torched left and right and when he wasnt he morphed into a ref quitting on a TD bc he anticipated a flag. Nevermind that he could ve intercepted a floating inaccurate pass if he was paying attention. Delmas had some whiffs on the long runs but its tough when its McCoy. Quinn was part of a blown coverage on Celek that sealed the Eagles ability to run out the clock and also wasnt his usual self in stuffing the run game.

ST - Ross was amazing. FG unit not so much. A

Coaching - I dont understand how they kept waltzing out there in the shotgun formation with all the fumble issues or why they played with no urgency throughout the 3rd and 4th quarter. Almost like they were making a statement that they didnt need to call plays with potential for putting together a drive bc they didnt believe Philly could score. Field conditions and visibility seemed to be getting better but the offensive game planning stayed away from Calvin Johnson. Cunningham dialed up a couple nice run blitzes early but when Philly started to show that they could torch the secondary over the top it opened up the run and Cunningham couldnt do anything to adjust. Finally the Lions again had issues with presnap penalties and made a bad decision to invest in David Akers ability to lift up a 25 yd PAT.

December 8th, 2013, 6:46 pm
QB Coach

I think I'd be happy with either Gruden (Jay or John) at this point. No thanks to those saying Lovie Smith. We need someone who can kick this team in the face and get them to step on the gas each and every game. When we're leading, we need to play to win not play to not lose.

December 8th, 2013, 6:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 289 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 20  Next