View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 28th, 2014, 10:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Next up: Philadelphia Eagles 
Div 1 - Starter

Post Re: Next up: Philadelphia Eagles
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
And now we get the Ravens on Monday night. A team that is well coached and knows how to fight to the end, trying to take a playoff spot.

I predict that the Lions will have 4 turnovers and lose another tear-jerker. The Ravens will have 0 or 1 turnovers.

December 9th, 2013, 1:11 am
QB Coach

I've now had a night to sleep on it and here's what I think after this game: this may be the toughest loss I've watched since Schwartz took over. Even though I thought they were probably going to lost this game, the way it played out is just crushing. I'm pretty much past the point of having any expectations any more. I can't care about this team any longer, because I know they won't actually achieve anything. Next year I'll start fresh with them, but for this season, I'm done investing my emotions in them. They're too frustrating.

I think Bill Simmons hit the nail on the head (actually it was someone who emailed him asking a question) when he put this in his column on Grantland:

"If the Giants are the All-Time "Nobody believes in us" team, then are the Lions the All-Time "everyone believes in us" team? The moment people think or say their good, they lose."

This is exactly correct. The team just can't seem to handle any success. As soon as they do something good, it's like they just stop trying as if they assume they've made it and things are going to just work out. I don't get it. Apparently it's just like people: some can handle success, money, power, etc, and some can't. Clearly, the Lions can't.

I should have known better than to get my hopes up.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

December 9th, 2013, 4:58 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

The better team won in every game today. pretty depressing

December 9th, 2013, 6:19 am
3rd Round Selection

Quote:
But you can’t write the story of an amazing Sunday without the four calls (and I’m probably missing one or two) that materially affected three games. As you may know, I’m not one to kill the umpire. Or the head linesman. Officials have a tough job, and if you read my three-part opus last week on A Week in the Life of An Officiating Crew, you can see I have respect for the work they do and the difficulty of the job they have. The close calls, the bang-bang calls, the helmet-to-helmet stuff they’re trying to get out of the game … I get it. All good. And it’s a tribute to the greatness of football Sunday that I’m not going to spend half of this column berating crews in Philadelphia, New England and Cincinnati for indefensible calls that swayed the outcome of all three of those games. I said “swayed,” not “determined.”

But I am going to spend a few words up here on these calls. Because they stunk. And 345 Park Avenue needs to be concerned with the hue and cry of the fan right now, because the fan, mostly, is right. The missed Mike Tomlin flag for being on the field during a real live play when two officials were right there is one play. Just one. The Jeff Triplette idiocy on the Sunday night game last week, refusing to call time when two officials had a different down than Triplette, and the game descended into chaos. That’s one too. I saw four Sunday in very big moments.

1. At Philadelphia, early fourth quarter, Lions up six, Eagles ball, 2nd-and-10 at their 45. A millisecond after Nick Foles releases an incomplete pass, Detroit’s Nick Fairley, not using his head and not hitting above the sternum, plowed into Foles. Ref Ed Hochuli flagged Fairley for roughing the passer, an invented call for which he certainly will be downgraded by the league office. So, instead of the Eagles having a 3rd-and-10 at their 45, they had a 1st-and-10 at the Detroit 40 … and LeSean McCoy promptly romped to a 40-yard touchdown. The made the score Detroit 14, Philadelphia 12.

2. On the very next snap in Philadelphia, Foles, attempting a two-point conversion pass, threw it out of bounds. No conversion. But hold on—Detroit’s Ndamukong Suh was flagged by umpire Richard Hall for holding Eagles center Jason Kelce. FOX ran it back three times. A hold never happened. A hold was not close. Hall invented it. The ball got moved a yard closer, and Bryce Brown ran in the two-pointer from the one-yard line. Tie game. A total, absolute gift of two points.

Unusual to see Peter King get so heated at the refs decisions.

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/12/09/nfl-week- ... arterback/

December 9th, 2013, 11:05 am
QB Coach

This is to my point exactly! Nick Fairley gets called for Roughing the passer, and Suh for Defensive Holding. These two calls changed the momentum of the game and took our aggressive defense and put them on the bench. The very defense that was getting to the passer, getting to the run game, and blowing up a suspect offensive line, suddenly laid down. Those 2 calls, stiffled the defense and they could not recover.

The NFL's harrassment of the Detroit Defense caused them to run scared of personal foul penalties in the 2nd half, and the defense suddenly parted like the Red Sea, allowing a record setting performance by McCoy.

IF I were a motivated, millionaire coach, I will thumb my nose at Goddell and his powder puff, safer NFL procedures and call the officials out for what they did. I would scream it from EVERY roof top, and news media that would listen and issue a carte blanche check to the NFL for any fines they wish to impose. WHY WILL PEOPLE NOT CALL A DUCK, A DUCK? This is bullying on the Corporate Level, and no one is saying a darn thing about it!!!!!!!! Fans, media, coaches, players, no one! And since NO ONE is taking a stand, those that are doing it, are allowed to KEEP DOING IT.

This is the MAIN PROBLEM WITH POLITICAL CORRECTNESS, we're so stinking worried about hurting someone's feelings that we make everything bland, and don't you dare take a stand or we'll make you pay the price. PAY THE FREAKIN PRICE, and MAKE A STAND dang it!

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

December 9th, 2013, 11:15 am
Modmin Dude

WarEr4Christ wrote:
This is to my point exactly! Nick Fairley gets called for Roughing the passer, and Suh for Defensive Holding. These two calls changed the momentum of the game and took our aggressive defense and put them on the bench. The very defense that was getting to the passer, getting to the run game, and blowing up a suspect offensive line, suddenly laid down. Those 2 calls, stiffled the defense and they could not recover.

The NFL's harrassment of the Detroit Defense caused them to run scared of personal foul penalties in the 2nd half, and the defense suddenly parted like the Red Sea, allowing a record setting performance by McCoy.

IF I were a motivated, millionaire coach, I will thumb my nose at Goddell and his powder puff, safer NFL procedures and call the officials out for what they did. I would scream it from EVERY roof top, and news media that would listen and issue a carte blanche check to the NFL for any fines they wish to impose. WHY WILL PEOPLE NOT CALL A DUCK, A DUCK? This is bullying on the Corporate Level, and no one is saying a darn thing about it!!!!!!!! Fans, media, coaches, players, no one! And since NO ONE is taking a stand, those that are doing it, are allowed to KEEP DOING IT.

This is the MAIN PROBLEM WITH POLITICAL CORRECTNESS, we're so stinking worried about hurting someone's feelings that we make everything bland, and don't you dare take a stand or we'll make you pay the price. PAY THE FREAKIN PRICE, and MAKE A STAND dang it!
Understand what you're saying, but good/great teams overcome the inevitable bad calls. Bad calls are never an acceptable excuse.

December 9th, 2013, 11:21 am
QB Coach

But it isn't so much about the calls, it's about the damage done by Goddell and the targeting of the defense. In their effort to promote a safer NFL, they have targeted the aggressive nature of the defense in the pocketbook. In watching the game, it was a tale of 2 halves. But ONLY after those 2 poor calls. The defense suddenly disappeared and that's tragedy.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

December 9th, 2013, 11:25 am
Modmin Dude

WarEr4Christ wrote:
But it isn't so much about the calls, it's about the damage done by Goddell and the targeting of the defense. In their effort to promote a safer NFL, they have targeted the aggressive nature of the defense in the pocketbook. In watching the game, it was a tale of 2 halves. But ONLY after those 2 poor calls. The defense suddenly disappeared and that's tragedy.
If true, then every NFL defense would react the same. Face it, its the total lack of discipline and accountability on the Lions; not the refs or Goodell.

December 9th, 2013, 11:30 am
QB Coach

TheRealWags wrote:
WarEr4Christ wrote:
If true, then every NFL defense would react the same. Face it, its the total lack of discipline and accountability on the Lions; not the refs or Goodell.

Exactly. The refs suck for every team. It only seems worse because we pay attention to Detroit. Honestly, does anyone here closely watch the Cleveland games? Because they have gotten absolutely HOSED by the refs multiple times. The Patriots have even had their share of crap calls against them this season, yet somehow they're 10-3. It's true that they were big time beneficiaries of a bad call yesterday and it put them in position to win their game, but even if you take that game away they are 9-4. The point is, good teams overcome adversity, whether bad calls, a bad bounce, injuries, etc (and usually the adversity isn't self inflicted for good teams). Bad teams struggle to overcome any adversity (which is often self inflicted).

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

December 9th, 2013, 11:36 am
RIP Killer

Good teams overcome ALL obstacles to win their games. Whether it be injuries, bad calls, mistakes, etc. GOOD teams overcome those things and find ways to win.

The Lions have a talented roster. Unfortunately they find ways to beat themselves more often than they find ways to beat their opponents.

The refs are bad league wide. I actually blame the NFL Competition Committee and those who make the rules. They've given the referrees too much to determine in too short a time. They need to better define some of the 'judgement' calls, or make them subject to review. That includes the roughing calls.

But regardless of all that, the Lions (once again) did EVERYTHING they could to lose that game. They were successful in their efforts.

December 9th, 2013, 11:57 am
Pop Warner Vet

I agree, egregious calls by the refs that easily changed the outcome of the game but not much different than 80% of Lions games I watch. The Lions beat themselves once again.

Something seriously needs to change, not sure what it is but the turnovers are just completely killing us. I chuckled when I heard a commentator say that the Lions need to focus on ball security. WE FUMBLE/TURN THE BALL OVER 5+ times at home, in a dome!? What makes anyone think our ball security would get any better? Ironically we were doing pretty well in the bad weather (1st half) because our defense was keeping Philly's run game bottled up. Philly's offense is predicated on the run so once Shady got some space it was pretty much all over.

I have absolutely no faith we will be able to win any of our remaining games. I easily see us losing out with GB AND Chicago passing us to battle it out for the division. It is truly disheartening to see the Lions have a chance at the division ONLY because of substantial injuries to other teams and still not be able to pull it off. I've always been a big supporter of Schwartz but although he has done a lot with this team, I doubt he can do anymore than get us to a 1st round playoff game.

As far as the team goes, I feel like the Lions are akin to some students of mine, they have C's and could easily have A's if they focused on just one more aspect of the class, but they are content with a C. The Lions could be great if they could stop fumbling/turning the ball over, but they might make a C without fixing this so why try? Case in point - player meeting to fix issues after the Bucs game that Stafford did not feel needed to happen WHEN HE IS TURNING THE BALL OVER MORE THAN ANYONE ELSE. Might be time for some new personnel that can whip these talented boys into shape

December 9th, 2013, 2:33 pm
Hall of Fame Player

The Legend wrote:
the bad calls werent worth the difference (though they did shift momentum) in the score plus if you cant stop simple handoffs you are going to lose. if your center and QB cant communicate and fumble 6 snaps, you re going to lose. if the QB is not even willing to jump on a loose ball you re going to lose. if your LBs have no clue whats happening or choose not to tackle and take on blocks you re going to lose. if your $5mill/yr DB thinks he s a ref and gives up on a play bc he anticipates a flag you re going to lose. if you are up 14 early and either your head coach or coordinator decide to stop trying to go to wide open WRs down the field until the entire team catches up you re going to lose. Kudos to Jeremy Ross but why cant they instruct the upbacks to pitch him the ball or get it to him on offense to take advantage of his hot hand

lions looked they were going to cruise to an easy win, somebody forgot to tell philly the game wasnt over - this team is pathetic. they are in first place by default not bc of anything good the coaching staff has done w the talent on the team.

So, the facemask penalty that wasn't called and would have nullified Bell's 2nd fumble wouldn't have made a difference? It stole 6 or 8 points from us. And that would have made a difference.

December 9th, 2013, 2:37 pm
QB Coach

BillySims wrote:
The Legend wrote:
the bad calls werent worth the difference (though they did shift momentum) in the score plus if you cant stop simple handoffs you are going to lose. if your center and QB cant communicate and fumble 6 snaps, you re going to lose. if the QB is not even willing to jump on a loose ball you re going to lose. if your LBs have no clue whats happening or choose not to tackle and take on blocks you re going to lose. if your $5mill/yr DB thinks he s a ref and gives up on a play bc he anticipates a flag you re going to lose. if you are up 14 early and either your head coach or coordinator decide to stop trying to go to wide open WRs down the field until the entire team catches up you re going to lose. Kudos to Jeremy Ross but why cant they instruct the upbacks to pitch him the ball or get it to him on offense to take advantage of his hot hand

lions looked they were going to cruise to an easy win, somebody forgot to tell philly the game wasnt over - this team is pathetic. they are in first place by default not bc of anything good the coaching staff has done w the talent on the team.

So, the facemask penalty that wasn't called and would have nullified Bell's 2nd fumble wouldn't have made a difference? It stole 6 or 8 points from us. And that would have made a difference.

See the other thread about this. I don't think it was a face mask. I think he grabbed the side of the helmet.

December 9th, 2013, 2:44 pm
Hall of Fame Player

WarEr4Christ wrote:

I agree. But, the responsibility for doing this lies solely in the hands of WCF. This is what makes him the joke of an owner that he is. Do you think the owners of the elite teams put up with it? No. That is why they are elite. They read the riot act to goodell when a BS call goes against them.

December 9th, 2013, 2:53 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
BillySims wrote:
The Legend wrote:

See the other thread about this. I don't think it was a face mask. I think he grabbed the side of the helmet.

yea.....but it was a facemask

December 9th, 2013, 7:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next