View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 24th, 2014, 4:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 The situation..... 
RIP Killer

Post The situation.....
So, as I sit here and watch the Bears dismantle the Cowboys, I am wondering how the remainder of this season could play out. After tonight, the Bears will be tied with the Lions in the NFCN at 7-6. The Lions will play the Ravens, the Giants and at the Vikings. The Bears have the Eagles and Browns away, and finish with the Packers at home.

What are the Lions chances of pulling this out?

I see a loss against the Ravens. It doesn't matter that they will be at home, and it doesn't matter that they will be playing on Monday night. I predict a loss. The Lions should beat the Giants and Vikings, but after how they performed against the Steelers and Buccaneers, can that be counted on?

I think the Bears will be beaten by the Eagles. The Bears simply can't stop the run, and the Eagles will feast on that. The Browns game is a toss up, and by the time they play the Packers Aaron Rodgers will be back and I think Green Bay could help us out and win that game.

But it's also possible the Lions lose two, the Bears win two, and the Lions miss the playoffs at 8-8 while the Bears finish 9-7. The Lions will have won the inter-division title, but that won't matter.

Prepare yourselves, Lions fans.

Then there is the outside chance that Green Bay has. If Rodgers returns for this coming week against the Cowboys, and they win out the season (they also play the Steelers and Bears) they could take the division at 9-6-1.

Makes for interesting prognostication.

December 10th, 2013, 12:16 am
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: The situation.....
If the Lions screw this up and don't win the division, then I will join the fire Schwartz crowd.

December 10th, 2013, 12:23 am
Player of the Year - Defense

I actually expect the Lions to destroy the Ravens. When you're the most inconsistent team in the NFL, you get those random beat-downs mixed in with those head-scratching losses.

Will they win the division? If I had to bet, I'd still say yes, though I don't think that should protect Schwartz. Anything less than the NFC Championship game I think he should go.

December 10th, 2013, 12:38 am
RIP Killer

I foresee, as my sig says, the kitties lose out and GB comes back to win the division. Yes, even over the bears. Not that I think Rodgers will be back this week, but I do think the pack will win regardless and both bears and lions will lose.

Lions lose out
Pack wins out
Bears drop 2

Lions finish tied for 2nd due to the H2H matchup w/chit-cago

December 10th, 2013, 12:41 am
Junior Varsity

I'm on the fence about firing Schwartz. However, if we miss the playoffs, I have to look back at the Pittsburgh game and the fake field goal as the biggest blunder of the season. In that light, it might be time for a change.

December 10th, 2013, 12:19 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

9-6-1 beats 9-7, correct?

December 10th, 2013, 12:48 pm
Modmin Dude

Killwill25 wrote:
9-6-1 beats 9-7, correct?
yup, better win percentage

December 10th, 2013, 12:52 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

I think its going to go all the way down to the wire. All 3 teams will enter Week 17 with a chance to win. The Lions will lose to Bal and beat NYG. Chicago will beat Cleveland and lose to Philly, I expect them to keep McCown playing. Green Bay will lose at Dallas and beat Pittsburgh with Rodgers returning in Week 16. Green Bay would be 7-7-1 and need to beat the Bears at Soldier field and have the Lions lose. Chicago would be 8-7 and would need to beat Green Bay and have the Lions lose. The Lions would be in a do or die situation in Minnesota, win and they get a home playoff game, lose and they are out.

December 10th, 2013, 12:53 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

The Legend wrote:
I think its going to go all the way down to the wire. All 3 teams will enter Week 17 with a chance to win. The Lions will lose to Bal and beat NYG. Chicago will beat Cleveland and lose to Philly, I expect them to keep McCown playing. Green Bay will lose at Dallas and beat Pittsburgh with Rodgers returning in Week 16. Green Bay would be 7-7-1 and need to beat the Bears at Soldier field and have the Lions lose. Chicago would be 8-7 and would need to beat Green Bay and have the Lions lose. The Lions would be in a do or die situation in Minnesota, win and they get a home playoff game, lose and they are out.

Thats almost EXACTLY what i was thinking. I dont think Gb or Chicago will run the table these next 3 games. both have HORRID defenses.

December 10th, 2013, 1:00 pm
Div 1 - Starter

Detroit Lions
Baltimore
NY Giants
@ Minnesota

Chicago Bears
@ Cleveland
@ Philthydelphia
Green Bay

Green Bay FudgePackers
@Dallas
Pittsburgh
@Chicago

I can envision the Lions winning all 3 games (maybe they'll be pissed off or hold onto the ball) and also dropping two games to finish 1-2. It's difficult to imagine that the Vikings would have any motivation or anything to play for other than a draft spot on the final game of the season.

Chicago has the ability to run the table but the Philadelphia game looks tough and who knows what condition Green Bay will be in for that final game. What's nice is that one of Chicago or Green Bay is guaranteed at least one loss.

As for Green Bay, I predict that Dallas will knock them out next week because Dallas has something to play for and they're going to be desperate.

We really need the Lions to run the table and we need Philly to beat Chicago. If either Philly or Green Bay can beat Chicago and if the Lions can finish 2-1, then they can back into the playoffs with a pathetic record for a division winner.

December 10th, 2013, 6:34 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

And get destroyed in rd 1 of the playoffs with 3+ turnovers. Then Schwartz will be retained for bringing us from 4-12 back to the Playoffs. And we will keep playing inconsistently for another Mediocre record next year.....

December 10th, 2013, 8:00 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Rookie Player of the Year

Not to be Debbie Downer but except for the fact that Lions fans will get to see them play one more game does it really matter in the end? Even if they manage not pissing the division away there is a greater chance of them getting trucked by SF or Carolina that there is of beating either of them. This team has top tier talent at a few spots but they aren't nearly as deep or as talented across the board as the top tier teams. They need to improve at least twelve spots, that's not to say they need twelve starters or elite talent just upgrades at ten spots to improve not only some starters but depth as well. They really need at least one WR, two TEs (Pett will be too expensive to keep), three LBs, at least four DBs (two CBs, S, and a CB/S), a PK, O-line depth and a new C, DL depth. The problem is that they are going to hit the draft and reasonably priced FA jackpot, with CJ, Stafford, and most likely Suh eating up close to half of the salary cap.

So that's the situation. This team is not the same old Lions and has the talent to at least compete now, but they aren't Super Bowl contenders yet.

December 10th, 2013, 8:21 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

I think this team is underachieving, but SF and Carolina have decent defenses this year, but both are vulnerable to the pass. Both offenses are easy to counter if you stay home and play the assignments. The question isn't if they could beat them, it's what team is showing up that week. Hence all the discussions about coaching.

Also, 12 spots? Levy and Tulloch are signed for awhile and both have been playing fine. Palmer really isn't an issue because we spend a lot of time in nickel with how offenses are playing. Safety is fine, because Delmas looks like he's able to stay healthy right now, and Mathis could always slide to safety if/when they get additions at CB. TE's aren't expensive, so Pett won't be getting much. Fauria is on the roster as is Mike Smith (or whatever his name is that we hid on IR). Kickers are cheap, Oline depth isn't really an issue except at C, and yes, that's a big need. Hilliard and Fox are both decent enough backups if Waddle or Reiff go down.
And we always need another WR.

We don't have any more holes than any contender right now. Yes we have needs, but the mistakes sunday weren't because of holes on the roster. They were coaching schemes and calls that put us into those situations. Rehauling the roster won't make a difference. Changing the coaching staff will. If the coaching staff won't hold the players accountable, then ownership needs to hold the coaches accountable. Without that, any changes to the roster won't take this team to the next level.

December 10th, 2013, 9:01 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

With out trying to sound snide, do you read post or poke around for what you want to read? I didn't say they needed twelve starters and even said so in the post. This team has no quality depth at all in the back seven of their defense and even the starters for the most part aren't players that if they wore a different uniform would have Detroit fans saying to themselves "I hope we get Delmas or Tulloch in the offseason." I remember people saying how great Durant was when he was in Detroit and there was no way they should let him go. Well how awesome has he been? Some players might be the shiniest turds that the team has had at certain positions in quite some time, but at the end of the day they are still turds.

December 10th, 2013, 9:26 pm
RIP Killer

sweetd20 wrote:
With out trying to sound snide, do you read post or poke around for what you want to read? I didn't say they needed twelve starters and even said so in the post. This team has no quality depth at all in the back seven of their defense and even the starters for the most part aren't players that if they wore a different uniform would have Detroit fans saying to themselves "I hope we get Delmas or Tulloch in the offseason." I remember people saying how great Durant was when he was in Detroit and there was no way they should let him go. Well how awesome has he been? Some players might be the shiniest turds that the team has had at certain positions in quite some time, but at the end of the day they are still turds.

Durant got hurt. Up to that point, he was doing pretty well. Not Pro Bowler, but better than Ashlee Palmer, I can tell you that.

I think we are OK at safety, even with the backups. Corner is where we are hurting. And I agree that our depth at linebacker isn't exactly awe inspiring.

December 10th, 2013, 10:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next