View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 23rd, 2014, 2:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 578 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next
 Killer's Korner 
Player of the Year - Defense

Post Re: Killer's Korner
Actually I was wrong, Edwards wasn't resigned, Greenwood was. They fail on that roster. Here's the transactions : http://www.detroitlions.com/news/transactions.html

October 24th, 2013, 4:51 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

sweetd20 wrote:
I think they dropped the ball taking Fairley, a one year wonder in college with a checkered off the field past, with bad feet (something big men struggle with once they do get injured) instead of Pouncey.

U sure about that? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Quote:
Report: Authorities are looking at Mike Pouncey as more than a witness
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... a-witness/
Posted by Mike Florio on October 28, 2013, 2:34 PM EDT

Greg Bedard of SI.com, who with Pete Thamel reported on Sunday that Pouncey has been subpoenaed to testify before a grand jury investigating Hernandez, gave a more dire assessment to Pouncey’s potential predicament during a Monday morning appearance on WQAM’s The Joe Rose Show.

“Overall, I would say this is a serious situation for Mike Pouncey,” Bedard said. “This is not a situation where they just think he might have evidence towards the charges against Aaron Hernandez. If he goes in there [to testify before the grand jury] thinking that’s what it’s about, he will be underprepared. He should be prepared that the authorities are looking at him in regards to some charges.”

It’s not clear what the charges would or could be, but Bedard at one point made reference to the issue of finances. Bedard also said that Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey (Mike’s twin) could be summoned to testify at some point, too.

With one murder case pending against Hernandez and a double-murder case possible, authorities reportedly are exploring whether Hernadnez was engaged in the illegal trafficking of weapons. That detour from the murder charges has the feel of an effort to ensure that there will be a way to put an actual or perceived “bad guy” away, in the event the murder charge(s) don’t stick.

October 28th, 2013, 2:41 pm
Modmin Dude

Quote:
Lions linebacker Travis Lewis suspended for PED violation
Posted by Darin Gantt on December 3, 2013, 4:11 PM EST

The Lions have lost a special teamer for the rest of the regular season, but could get him back if they advance to the playoffs.

Via Tim Twentyman of the team’s official website, Lions linebacker Travis Lewis was suspended four games for violating the league’s substance abuse policy.

He has apparently either already lost or chosen to forego an appeal, based on the statement the team sent out.

“I apologize to my coaches, teammates, the Lions organization and our fans for my actions,” Lewis said. “I have let my team down and there’s nothing worse than that. I will not make the same mistake again. I look forward to returning to the team after I serve my suspension.”

Lewis was a seventh-round pick by the Lions in 2012 out of Oklahoma. He has nine tackles in the 25 games he’s appeared in since.

UPDATE 4:17 p.m. ET: According to Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press, Lewis’s suspension was triggered by a positive test for Adderall. Of course.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... violation/

December 4th, 2013, 1:04 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

TheRealWags wrote:
Quote:
Lions linebacker Travis Lewis suspended for PED violation
Posted by Darin Gantt on December 3, 2013, 4:11 PM EST

The Lions have lost a special teamer for the rest of the regular season, but could get him back if they advance to the playoffs.

Via Tim Twentyman of the team’s official website, Lions linebacker Travis Lewis was suspended four games for violating the league’s substance abuse policy.

He has apparently either already lost or chosen to forego an appeal, based on the statement the team sent out.

“I apologize to my coaches, teammates, the Lions organization and our fans for my actions,” Lewis said. “I have let my team down and there’s nothing worse than that. I will not make the same mistake again. I look forward to returning to the team after I serve my suspension.”

Lewis was a seventh-round pick by the Lions in 2012 out of Oklahoma. He has nine tackles in the 25 games he’s appeared in since.

UPDATE 4:17 p.m. ET: According to Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press, Lewis’s suspension was triggered by a positive test for Adderall. Of course.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... violation/

Saw that...let's just never draft a Sooner again, ok?

December 4th, 2013, 3:24 pm
QB Coach

So the cap next year is predicted to be around $126.3M rising $3.3M from this year. Currently, we have about $128M committed, but we've got about 2.7M to carry over from this year.

Raiola, Pettigrew, Young, Ross(ERFA), Bell(RFA), Hill, Ogletree, Mathis, Fox, Durham(RFA), Carey and Akers are the major free agents. Hoping we let Akers go and don't overpay for Pett. Well probably need about $4M for rookies, so we've got to clear about $10M in space if we want to add anyone ($4M for rooks $6M for signings)

Biggest issues will be Suh since he counts $21M and then Burleson will likely have to take a cut at 7.5M and Delmas will possibly be extended to lower his hit for next year from 6.5M.

I think Mayhew and Co. can figure this out, but we'll need to keep getting cheap contributors to offset having 3 huge top 2 pick contracts.

December 11th, 2013, 10:00 pm
RIP Killer

After this year, suh could be a trade possibility. It'd be extremely hard to do with his salary. They need to dum one of them (suh or fairley)

December 11th, 2013, 10:05 pm
League MVP

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
So the cap next year is predicted to be around $126.3M rising $3.3M from this year. Currently, we have about $128M committed, but we've got about 2.7M to carry over from this year.

Raiola, Pettigrew, Young, Ross(ERFA), Bell(RFA), Hill, Ogletree, Mathis, Fox, Durham(RFA), Carey and Akers are the major free agents. Hoping we let Akers go and don't overpay for Pett. Well probably need about $4M for rookies, so we've got to clear about $10M in space if we want to add anyone ($4M for rooks $6M for signings)

Biggest issues will be Suh since he counts $21M and then Burleson will likely have to take a cut at 7.5M and Delmas will possibly be extended to lower his hit for next year from 6.5M.

I think Mayhew and Co. can figure this out, but we'll need to keep getting cheap contributors to offset having 3 huge top 2 pick contracts.

delmas has been a lift from a year ago but im not sure he s actually played well enough to justify an extension. he s got the ability but he s practicing once a week only and making a lot of mistakes. burleson will definitely have to take a paycut - it may be time to cut ties with him outright. the other cut candidate player might be houston - he s had a really down year after a big extension. hill might be tough to keep if the cap will be tight since he s probably wort $3-4 million. i dont want pettigrew back, he s had a better season overall but anyone who ducks a thrown pass is just a disgrace.

December 11th, 2013, 11:55 pm
QB Coach

I don't want Pett either but I have a feeling the team does, so they'll try to bring him back. As for Delmas, I doubt he'll outright take a pay cut since it was only a 2 year deal in the first place, so an extension to add maybe 2 years to the deal and lessen the cap hit next year makes sense to me.

If we cut Houston, his cap hit would go up by about 2M from 4.8M to 6.4M

December 12th, 2013, 12:16 am
RIP Killer

Really?! I'm not big on Pettigrew, but to base his entire career to this point on one play is kind of myopic. He's a solid to great inline blocker, and he's cleaned up the dropped passes he had earlier in the season and last year. Is that because he's in his contract year? Perhaps, but he certainly wouldn't be the first player to perform better in the last year of his deal. The Lions should make an honest effort to retain him, but not overpay. If he wants too much, then let him go. Michael Williams will likely be a good blocking replacement, and Fauria is our big pass catcher. The Lions would just have to find a speed TE to have a dynamic trio at that position.

Delmas staying healthy has as much to do with the Lions finally getting him a partner that can actually play as anything else. He still needs to do a better job of wrapping up rather than going for the big hit, but he's been pretty OK up until now. If the Lions want to extend him, I'd be fine with that as long as they didn't give him the same deal they gave Quin. He's not worth as much.

Burleson needs to lower his number significantly. Hill is worth 3 million per season just for the insurance. Suh would command a huge amount of money on the open market. The Lions need to extend him and reduce his cap hit to open some space.

I don't know if the Lions will can Chris Houston unless they have someone who can fill his role. Even with how much he's making, they would be foolish to let him go without a replacement. Jonte Green, Bill Bentley and Chris Greenwood aren't ready, and probably never will be. Rashean Mathis is probably a goner, even though he's played pretty decently at times. Yet, at other times he has looked lost.

The Lions off-season efforts have to concentrate on the cornerback position, the improvement of the OLB spot opposite Levy, and adding quality to our WR corps. If Raiola calls it quits and they need a center, that's another consideration. Gandy definitely isn't the guy. Maybe Rodney Austin can take over? I haven't seen enough of him at center to know whether he can or not.

December 12th, 2013, 10:38 am
3rd Round Selection

I'd be happy to see Pett back.

IMO, extending Suh and reducing Burleson's hit or cutting him (and creating enough space to sign our key FAs, rookies and one quality FA from another team) is the key to this off season.

December 12th, 2013, 12:09 pm
Veteran General Manager

inheritedlionsfan wrote:

I think they intended to rework and extend Suh this coming off season. They will likely be able to free up about $10Million right there.

December 12th, 2013, 6:16 pm
QB Coach

Quote:
Playoff hopes extinguished again for Lions
December, 22, 2013
Dec 22
11:45
PM ET
By Michael Rothstein | ESPN.com
DETROIT -- DeAndre Levy sat at his locker staring off into the distance, his team’s playoff chances extinguished, his team’s season effectively over.

He didn’t get up. Maybe, he couldn’t.

A few weeks ago, the Detroit Lions were 6-3. A week ago, they controlled their destiny in the NFC North. Now six days and two losses later, they're done. They're out of the playoffs for another season after a 23-20 overtime loss to the New York Giants on Sunday.

What else could Levy do, but sit, stare and fight back the emotions that brought him to this point, brought the Lions to this point.

While teammates packed up and left, Levy stayed, waiting, thinking, contemplating.

He collected his thoughts after spending all week waking up in the middle of the night for treatment on his foot so he could play Sunday. But now all he could do was take his massive hands and rub his beard. Or bury his face in those same hands.

The emotions he must have felt in that moment, the Lions’ fifth loss in six games and second straight on a game-losing field goal.

“Today’s a big game, man. Can’t miss,” Levy said as he hobbled out of the locker room. “There’s no tomorrow after this is how I approached it. And we didn’t come through.”

That's been the theme the second half of Detroit’s season. Not coming through. Being a play short. A drive short. A decision short. Losing leads. Making turnover after turnover but not forcing many of its own.

The way the Lions lost Sunday -- losing another fourth-quarter lead, turning the ball over again in the fourth quarter, curious play-calling toward the end -- was emblematic of so many of Detroit’s problems this season under coach Jim Schwartz.

This is the second consecutive season the Lions have collapsed down the stretch. In 2012, Detroit lost eight straight games to end the season. This season, with the NFC North begging to be won by the Lions after injuries decimated the Packers and Bears, the Lions lost five of six games after holding fourth-quarter leads in every game.

Some of that can be attributed to players, the ones who make the same mistakes over and over again. But when the same problems keep popping up over and over again, that goes to the coaches.

“We’ve come a long way, but we’re still not quite there, obviously," Schwartz said about the lack of significant progress from 2011 -- a playoff season -- to 2013 -- what looked like a playoff season. "We are still a play away from turning these games around on offense, defense or special teams.

“Any more than that, I think, just like I’ve always done, I think we’ll characterize it after the season.”

Schwartz, though, wouldn’t answer whether he had done enough in his first five seasons to warrant being brought back for a sixth. He wouldn’t answer any other questions about his job security. And when the Lions handed out quote sheets after the game, most of those questions and answers were deleted.

Schwartz steadfastly said he would be focused on the season finale against the Vikings, on a game that means nothing as far as making the playoffs, a place the Lions had been aiming toward all season.

Not after Detroit collapsed again, leading to whether or not Schwartz keeps his job.

Quarterback Matthew Stafford said he would like Schwartz to return as the Lions' coach. Receiver Nate Burleson wants Schwartz back, too.

"He's a good coach," Burleson said. "When you lose, everybody wants change and change makes people feel good. So, I'll be the first one to say this: Change isn't always the best thing."

Schwartz isn't thinking about what might have been.

“Speculation is not my business,” Schwartz said. “My business is coaching the team and trying to keep the team focused. That’s job enough without worrying about all the other stuff.

“Where we were, you can’t worry about where we were. It’s about where you are in the present.”

The present includes wondering what went wrong the final seven games.

Maybe that's why Levy sat at his locker on Sunday.

As he watched guys he might only be teammates with for one more week walk by him, he didn’t move. He did eventually stand up on his good right foot, put his green jacket on and paused for another minute, almost in disbelief.

As he stood, a Lions worker reached over him, pulling the “54 LEVY” nameplate from his locker. Levy didn’t initially see him, but the man reached over Levy.

The man stopped, turned and asked Levy, “Are you OK, man?”

Levy nodded. It was all he could do.

There were no more answers for these Detroit Lions. There were no more weeks of making promises they eventually couldn't keep. There were no more declarations.

Just another season for a franchise with an all-to-familiar end.

December 23rd, 2013, 9:10 pm
RIP Killer

oppps

FREEP wrote:
D'oh! Some Detroit Lions fans received their playoff tickets in the mail today

A day after the Detroit Lions were eliminated from playoff contention, some fans received postseason tickets in the mail.

The Lions mailed playoff invoices to season-ticket holders last month, when they were 6-5 and tied for first place in the NFC North.

In the month since, they’ve lost three of four games and were bounced from the playoff race Sunday, when they lost the New York Giants in overtime, 23-20.

The Lions sold playoff tickets in standard two-game blocks — teams can host, at most, two home games during the postseason — and it’s common practice for organizations chasing a playoff berth to take ticket requests late in the season.

The Lions say all money paid for playoff tickets will be credited toward 2014 season-ticket renewals.

The Lions (7-8) finish the regular season against the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday with a chance to go 5-1 in the NFC North. But because of their recent slide — they’ve lost five of their last six games overall — the winner of this weekend’s Chicago Bears-Green Bay Packers game will win the division and go to the playoffs.

December 26th, 2013, 1:05 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Pablo wrote:
oppps

FREEP wrote:
D'oh! Some Detroit Lions fans received their playoff tickets in the mail today

A day after the Detroit Lions were eliminated from playoff contention, some fans received postseason tickets in the mail.

The Lions mailed playoff invoices to season-ticket holders last month, when they were 6-5 and tied for first place in the NFC North.

In the month since, they’ve lost three of four games and were bounced from the playoff race Sunday, when they lost the New York Giants in overtime, 23-20.

The Lions sold playoff tickets in standard two-game blocks — teams can host, at most, two home games during the postseason — and it’s common practice for organizations chasing a playoff berth to take ticket requests late in the season.

The Lions say all money paid for playoff tickets will be credited toward 2014 season-ticket renewals.

The Lions (7-8) finish the regular season against the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday with a chance to go 5-1 in the NFC North. But because of their recent slide — they’ve lost five of their last six games overall — the winner of this weekend’s Chicago Bears-Green Bay Packers game will win the division and go to the playoffs.

Just goes to show that the screw ups aren't just on the sidelines in this organization......

December 28th, 2013, 9:31 am
3rd Round Selection

Looks like we'll be facing Cutler twice a year for a while yet. Signed with the Bears through 2020. It'll be interesting to see how much he got.

January 2nd, 2014, 1:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 578 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next