View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 25th, 2014, 6:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 New 2014 NFL Mock Draft 
Varsity Captain

Post Re: New 2014 NFL Mock Draft
m2karateman wrote:
Boz wrote:
What ever became of Hakim Osgood? Great STer last year.

Great? I guess that's subject to personal opinion. Osgood was something like 32 or 33 years old, and never really did become that impact guy on ST that the Lions envisioned when they signed him.

And his first name is Kassim, not Hakim.

Mike, did you see our ST play last year? In the kingdom of the blind the one eyed man is king.....lol

October 29th, 2013, 6:50 pm
NFL Veteran

m2karateman wrote:
rao wrote:
I still wish people would stop talking about Broyles like his pick in the 2nd round was a big reach. The guy was a 2nd round talent after his junior season in OK and would have been a borderline 1st rounder if he hadn't got the injury given the pretty weak WR class. The Lions medical staff decided his reconstructed knee looked solid and they took him in the bottom 3rd of the 2nd round. The medical staff wasn't really wrong on his knee either, he just turned out to be injury prone. He was still projected to be a 3rd round pick that year post injury and I doubt he would have even made it to the Lions in the 3rd.

Leshoure also wasn't a bad pick at the time and was predicted in some places to be a 2nd round pick. He had great size and 4.5 speed with all the talk before his injury that he was as advertised. Fox was another guy drafted right where he should have been and was a good pick that just didn't end up working out.

This is another situation of people just throwing stuff onto the pile unfairly. Mayhew has made some head scratchers and should be questioned about it, but just because a player ends up busting doesn't mean he made a bad pick. No players are sure things and a lot of times the good picks still turn into bad players once they get on the field.

You can't simply dismiss his senior season injury. It's like saying that teams should forget about how poorly Jake Locker played in his senior season, because he was certain to be the first overall pick if he would have entered the draft after his junior season. Same thing with Jadeveon Clowney. Should teams just disregard his 2013 season because of how good he was last year?

Ryan Broyles was unable to work out for teams before AND after the draft. The Lions selected him based on his college body of work, which due to his senior season injury was incomplete, but definitely noteworthy to that point. BUT, it doesn't mean he was worth a second round pick. Teams knew he wasn't that fast, and his stature wasn't ideal. Short and fast can be worked with, slow and tall can be worked with. Short and less than fast is tough. Broyles excelled at the collegiate level because of his instincts, his quickness out of his breaks, and superior hands and route running skills. His leg injuries have hurt his quickness out of breaks, and it will bring down his top end speed, which wasn't that spectacular to begin with.

So, while you may think he was a solid second round prospect, I'd have to disagree with you. I wanted the Lions to get him in that draft, but thought he was worth a fourth rounder at best.

I understand what you are saying about not being able to predict injuries. But without Broyles being able to work out, that second round pick seemed more to be a hope and a prayer than anything else. There were plenty of other players available at positions of need, or even at WR, that WERE able to work out and had pretty good college careers as well.

If Broyles can come back, stay healthy, and be productive I'll be happy to eat the crow that is served. Until then, the Lions gambled and lost. He is, in my book, officially a bust until he proves otherwise. I don't think the pick was terrible, or that it should cost Mayhew his job. But Mayhew's track record of picks taken second, third or fourth in the draft, within the top 100 picks, is pretty piss poor. He is responsible for the roster of this team, and for those draft picks. Whether they don't work out due to off field issues that he knew about, or whether they don't work out because of freak injuries that pile up over time, or whether they don't work out because the player has no internal motiviation.....Mayhew IS responsible for that hurting the remainder of the team. That's part of the job.

I'm not ignoring his injury but if the medical staff says his reconstruction was a success and his knee looks solid than it shouldn't be a major concern. His college production was top tier even during his senior season. He only had 2 knocks on him before the injury. They were his size and top speed, but he was looked at to be a faster version of Wes Welker. I don't disagree that he was a reach but I take argument with him being called a big reach or even a bad pick. He was a risk because of the injury, but he also had big potential because he had great tape regardless of his size and 40 time. At the time they also thought they had 3 WRs with Young not being insane yet and that should have allowed them to not play Broyles really at all. The pick is no different than the 49ers picking up Tank Carradine this year and that was regarded as a great pick during the draft. I absolutely agree with you and anyone else that wants to call him a bust because he has lost 2 seasons now and its very unlikely he will be able to contribute until at least another year due to this new injury. I just don't think he should be a pick that should be piled in with ones like Spievey.

I think this year has already showed much improvement in their drafting with almost every pick at least able to contribute this year. The only major downside this year was they had to overcompensate for bad character issues by avoiding some of those character guys this year. Hopefully next year they will feel more free to take a risk or two in the late rounds.

October 29th, 2013, 7:19 pm
RIP Killer

rao wrote:
I'm not ignoring his injury but if the medical staff says his reconstruction was a success and his knee looks solid than it shouldn't be a major concern. His college production was top tier even during his senior season. He only had 2 knocks on him before the injury. They were his size and top speed, but he was looked at to be a faster version of Wes Welker. I don't disagree that he was a reach but I take argument with him being called a big reach or even a bad pick. He was a risk because of the injury, but he also had big potential because he had great tape regardless of his size and 40 time. At the time they also thought they had 3 WRs with Young not being insane yet and that should have allowed them to not play Broyles really at all. The pick is no different than the 49ers picking up Tank Carradine this year and that was regarded as a great pick during the draft. I absolutely agree with you and anyone else that wants to call him a bust because he has lost 2 seasons now and its very unlikely he will be able to contribute until at least another year due to this new injury. I just don't think he should be a pick that should be piled in with ones like Spievey.

I think this year has already showed much improvement in their drafting with almost every pick at least able to contribute this year. The only major downside this year was they had to overcompensate for bad character issues by avoiding some of those character guys this year. Hopefully next year they will feel more free to take a risk or two in the late rounds.

I completely agree that Broyles should not be categorized with a Spievey, or Ronnell Lewis, or any other player who simply didn't have what it takes to be an NFL player. Broyles most definitely has the skillset to play in the NFL, no questions. Anybody who says he doesn't either hasn't seen him play, or knows nothing about football. There is a difference between unrealized potential, and not being able to put that potential on the gridiron due to unfortunate circumstances like injuries.

October 29th, 2013, 11:08 pm
QB Coach

Guess now its time to turn to the draft. I think we're 4 starting players (and a few coaches) away from being a playoff team for awhile. We need a corner first and foremost. Slay will be good but Houston has had a terrible season. He could bounce back but we need another anyway. You can never have too many corners. We need a legitimate weapon in the passing game besides CJ. A #2 who could be a #1 on other teams. We need a young center. Even if Dom comes back he's got maybe 1 season left. Another every down OLB who can rush the passer is needed as well.

QB: Stafford
RB: Bush/Bell
WR: CJ
WR: Rookie
TE: Fauria/Williams
LT: Reiff
LG: Sims
C: Rookie
RG: Warford
RT: Waddle

DE:Ansah
DT: Suh
DT: Fairley
DE: Jones/Taylor
LB: Levy
MLB: Tulloch
LB: Rookie
CB: Rookie/Houston
CB: Slay
S:Delmas
S: Quinn

I think we can get 2-3 starters out of the draft this year, and hopefully another role player or two.

December 19th, 2013, 3:05 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

I've heard that this years draft should be very deep at quality o-linemen and at CB. can anyone verify that?

We need:

a Center
another young solid backup guard/center for grooming. (Simms didnt look as good as i would like this year)
A WR.
the another WR (more of a luxury than a need...but still)
a potential Bruiser FB if we get a new coach (most teams still have one.)
Another DE to throw in the rotation. (Counting on Jones might be unwise.)
an OLB for sure.
2 CB's. we still need a #1 CB, and to be honest I have not been thrilled with the midgets play this year (Bentley)
1 Saftey . (Delmas finally had a healthy year. anyone wanna bet on it happening again? im bettin i dont get many takers there.)
DEPTH!!! at just about everywhere
and thats not taking into account the free agents that we may lose this year.

Mayhew has his work cut out for him this year, considering we're cash strapped again.

December 19th, 2013, 3:31 pm
Team MVP

regularjoe12 wrote:
I've heard that this years draft should be very deep at quality o-linemen and at CB. can anyone verify that?

We need:

a Center
another young solid backup guard/center for grooming. (Simms didnt look as good as i would like this year)
A WR.
the another WR (more of a luxury than a need...but still)
a potential Bruiser FB if we get a new coach (most teams still have one.)
Another DE to throw in the rotation. (Counting on Jones might be unwise.)
an OLB for sure.
2 CB's. we still need a #1 CB, and to be honest I have not been thrilled with the midgets play this year (Bentley)
1 Saftey . (Delmas finally had a healthy year. anyone wanna bet on it happening again? im bettin i dont get many takers there.)
DEPTH!!! at just about everywhere
and thats not taking into account the free agents that we may lose this year.

Mayhew has his work cut out for him this year, considering we're cash strapped again.

Its VERY deep at quality O-lineman, and though deep at CB Im not so sure on the quality. There hasnt been a CB that has really stuck out THAT much to me in this years class.

What im wondering is what would it take for a rookie CB to be better than Houston. I mean, so many people scream "we need corners", but that problem is you have to get a corner that is better, which can be tough for a rookie beating out a guy whos been in the league for 6 years.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 19th, 2013, 11:05 pm
RIP Killer

Round 1 - Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State (call me a homer, but I see lots of QBs and OL in the top half of the draft that don't fill needs) Lions hold #12 pick as of right now...

Round 2 - Marqise Lee, WR, USC (Mayhew has a penchant for drafting WRs with ? marks in round 2, Lee is just coming back from knee surgery)

Round 3 - Weston Richburg, C, Colorado State (Time to start grooming Dom's replacement)

December 26th, 2013, 6:18 pm
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

" Lions hold #12 pick as of right now... "

Could jump into top ten with a loss and NYG and Titans wins.

December 26th, 2013, 11:19 pm
Team MVP

Pablo wrote:
Round 1 - Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State (call me a homer, but I see lots of QBs and OL in the top half of the draft that don't fill needs) Lions hold #12 pick as of right now...

Round 2 - Marqise Lee, WR, USC (Mayhew has a penchant for drafting WRs with ? marks in round 2, Lee is just coming back from knee surgery)

Round 3 - Weston Richburg, C, Colorado State (Time to start grooming Dom's replacement)

I'd love Dennard to be a Lion, but i think 12 is too high for him, and im a State guy. I really like Marquise Lee and think the Lions should target him. At what point is hard to say. They have to take a WR in the top 3 rounds though, I think. Other than Calvin, our WRs are bad.

Richburg - Havent seen much on him but im gonna really look into him. I agree though, gotta find Doms replacement.

A guy I really like and could possibly move to the 2nd round is TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins. If Pett leaves in FA, this guy would be a great (or better) player.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

December 28th, 2013, 9:21 am
League MVP

offseason needs really depends on the coaching staff. if they keep a linehan type scheme they are going to need 3 legit passing targets. Meaning someone like a big time FA - Decker, Nicks or a high draft pick like Sammy Watkins who can stand opposite Megatron and command respect. 2nd they need a receiving TE target who can run. Pettigrew isnt reliable with his hands and runs poorly and doesnt fit the bill. The Lions lost something when Scheffler showed he was washed up early last season. The 3rd guy they need is a slot option possession WR. If Linehan/Schwartz are out and they go to a difft scheme they might be fine with Pettigrew as the TE, not have much of a need for a possession/slot receiver and instead might just be looking for a FB and a No 2 WR.

defensively, corner needs to be addressed no matter how you look at it - the question is how big of a resource do you need? Corners were going cheap last year and even the Lions got Mathis halfway through training camp for vet minimum and he was better than Houston who they paid $25 million for and Slay who they used a big draft pick on. I think the Lions are going to give Houston a mulligan and see him back hoping it was an injury issue, Slay was a bust as a rookie but needs more time. Greenwood actually showed some promise last week. The Lions probably shouldnt spend big at corner - I think one of Slay or Houston will be significantly better next season. They need to find another Mathis like player on the cheap, preferably a lil younger. A guy thats reliable, will tackle a guy if he makes the catch out in front and doesnt get completely smoked in the open field. I think Delmas met most of the requirements for the 2nd year of his contract to kick in but he isnt worth anything close to that anymore and had too many head scratching gaffes despite physically still being good. If the defense is going to standout as a strength though the quickest thing that will get them there is adding another starting quality passrushing DE opposite Ansah or an OLB that can rush the passer. Suh and Fairley have been good but its just much harder to bring the passer down from the inside than the edge.

December 29th, 2013, 2:45 am
Team MVP

According to my calculations, the Lions will be selecting 10th now that they've lost to Minnesota.

December 29th, 2013, 9:03 pm
Veteran General Manager

kdsberman wrote:
According to my calculations, the Lions will be selecting 10th now that they've lost to Minnesota.

You beat me by 2 minutes because I was researching the top QB's that I hope will be over valued like usual this year. LOL.

December 29th, 2013, 9:09 pm
Team MVP

BillySims wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

You beat me by 2 minutes because I was researching the top QB's that I hope will be over valued like usual this year. LOL.

LOL. I know you guys on Lionbacker way too much, so I was typing extra fast. :lol:

December 29th, 2013, 9:46 pm
QB Coach

Let's look at the needs of the top 10 so we can see who we could end up with. The Texans, Jags, Browns and Vikings need a QB. The Rams and Raiders may also look at signal callers. I doubt that many will go in the top 10 so we'll say maybe 3 QBs. You know Clowney will be one of the picks. Barr and 2 OTs will go before us as well. That's 7 picks. You can probably throw in Nix and maybe Dix. That will leave us with our choice of WRs or CBs.

As always I'm for a trade down, but if not I'd be ok with Watkins, Mike Evans or Dennard. Not really high on any prospect yet, just some minimal research.

Depending on how his stock rises, a guy I haven't seen play or really know much about, Keith McGill, would interest me in about the 4th round. He's the biggest corner in the draft and seems to still be decently fast.

December 29th, 2013, 11:56 pm
Team MVP

Makes you wonder what our needs REALLY are. I mean, with the right coaching (coaches), are there guys on the roster that are much better than we think? Hopefully so, eliminating potential needs.

December 30th, 2013, 8:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next