View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 1st, 2014, 2:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 When do comp picks get determined and released? 
Hall of Fame Player

Post When do comp picks get determined and released?
I expect a 3rd round comp pick for, of all our FA loses, Gosder Cherilus. He started all 16 for the Colts and by all accounts had a pro bowl worthy season. Meanwhile in Detroit, we used 3 different guys that did well. But, none of them could stay healthy.

December 29th, 2013, 9:47 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: When do comp picks get determined and released?
BillySims wrote:
I expect a 3rd round comp pick for, of all our FA loses, Gosder Cherilus. He started all 16 for the Colts and by all accounts had a pro bowl worthy season. Meanwhile in Detroit, we used 3 different guys that did well. But, none of them could stay healthy.

We won't get a third round comp. We signed Reggie Bush and Glover Quin. When they figure comp picks, it has to do with who the team signed, who they lost, their contracts and their performances. Bush is a 1000 yard rusher. Quin had a good, but not great, season. I don't recall who else the Lions lost in FA, but I am certain it won't be enough to qualify for a third round pick.

December 29th, 2013, 10:40 pm
Hall of Fame Player

m2karateman wrote:
BillySims wrote:

We won't get a third round comp. We signed Reggie Bush and Glover Quin. When they figure comp picks, it has to do with who the team signed, who they lost, their contracts and their performances. Bush is a 1000 yard rusher. Quin had a good, but not great, season. I don't recall who else the Lions lost in FA, but I am certain it won't be enough to qualify for a third round pick.

We lost Avril, Gosder, Durant, SLH, and a couple of others.

Bush and Quin are the only FA's we signed that could be said had good years. The D-linemen we signed played only limited roles or got hurt and went on IR.

Gosder had a pro bowl worthy year. Avril had a good year about on par with Quin, so they should cancel each other out. Bush had what could only be described as an average year after that 1st game. Durant and SLH had so so years with their new teams. So So X 2 = 1 Average RB?

Which should leave us with a 3rd round comp for a Pro Bowl Caliber RT.

December 29th, 2013, 10:56 pm
3rd Round Selection

They are released at the NFL's annual meeting.

I will be shocked if we get a 3rd rounder. Only 2 things are known for certain about comp picks: 1. the exact formula to determine them is not in the public domain; and 2. Billy always overestimates what we will receive ;)

As I understand it performance is the smallest element of determining where your comp picks are. Volume of signings and contract value per year are much bigger elements. So Jason Jones, Isreal Idonije and CJ Mosely shouldn't be ignored.

If we signed more FAs than we lost, we won't get above a 7th rounder regardless of difference in contract value. Running down list, I think we signed 9 FAs in the off season who made the day one roster: Bush, Jones, Quin, Akers, Owens, Spurlock, McIntosh, Mathis, Bannan.

Did we lose more than 9 FAs? I'm assuming that doesn't include players we released whilst under contract (eg Peterman) or who retired (eg Backus, KVB) or who did not make an opening roster for 2013 (eg Logan, LoJack, Osgood). Looking at our final roster for 2012 I'm guessing we lost only 4 FAs: Cherilus, Avril, Durant, SLH.

So I think it's likely we'll get a maximum 7th round pick.

If how they work out losses is different to what I've assumed (ege Backus counts, Osgood counts) and we therefore signed less than we lost, we could be on for a decent pick based on contract value:

Quin - $4,7m pa
Bush - $4m pa
Jones - $3.2m pa
Mosely - can't find it, so I'd guess no more than $1m per
Mathis - same
Idonije - same

Avril - $7.5m pa
Cherilus - $7m pa
SLH - $3.8m pa
Durant - $1m pa

But I think this is unlikely - volume trumps contract value and I think we may be stuffed on volume. So sorry Billy, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

December 30th, 2013, 7:29 am
QB Coach

Gotta look through the threads before posting. This is an issue that has been brought up in like 3 different threads. We won't be getting anything more than a 7th if that.

December 30th, 2013, 3:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]