View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 22nd, 2014, 11:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Early Prospect want list. 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Early Prospect want list.
These are a few of the prospects I would like if we could choose 1 of them.

1st Our needs ( In no particular order): #2 WR, #3 WR, #1 CB, #3 SAFETY, OG, ORT (3 different guys played. None of the 3 could stay healthy.), DE (Willy Young is a FA and isn't worthy of a raise.), #3 DT, OLB, OC.

Potential 1st round picks ( in no particular order):
WRs : Sammy Watkins, Marqise Lee, Jarvis Landry, Mike Evans
OTs: The only 2 I would want in the 1st round: Jake Matthews, Cyrus Kouandjio. ( Taylor Lewan eliminated himself from my interest in the MSU debacle.)
DEs: Jadeveon Clowney (pipe Dream), Kareem Martin, Kony Ealy, Stephon Tuitt ( Even though he is a ND product).
OLB: Anthony Barr, C.J. Mosley, Ryan Shazier
CB: Justin Gilbert, Bradley Roby, Loucheiz Purifoy
S: Ha Ha Clinton-Dix ( Great name for a Safety. )

December 29th, 2013, 9:34 pm
Team MVP

Post Re: Early Prospect want list.
I like your list, except I would eliminate Roby from the CB list and add Kalil Mack on the LB list.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 29th, 2013, 9:54 pm
RIP Killer

Lions absolutely need a CB more than another position. Good WRs and LBs can be had in rounds 2-4, but really good corners are usually taken in the first round.

Roster moves will run a distant second to what the Lions do with the coaching staff.

December 29th, 2013, 10:43 pm
Hall of Fame Player

m2karateman wrote:
Lions absolutely need a CB more than another position. Good WRs and LBs can be had in rounds 2-4, but really good corners are usually taken in the first round.

Roster moves will run a distant second to what the Lions do with the coaching staff.

Welcome to the club. I have been saying the bolded part for more than 10 years. Get ready for people to tell you your all wet.

December 29th, 2013, 10:59 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

No one's going to tell him he's all wet, it's been a matter of WHERE we drafted the last few seasons that have dictated that corners were bad choices. People wanted Prince, and we took Fairley. People wanted Miliner and we took Ziggy.

10 is a good spot to pick a corner. Not too late that decent ones are gone, not too early where other positions justify the pay. But I'll wait to see how the Black Monday shakes out before we know what to expect.

December 30th, 2013, 12:06 am
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

Welcome to the club. I have been saying the bolded part for more than 10 years. Get ready for people to tell you your all wet.

Billy, you need to go back and look at some of my posts. I've been petitioning for the Lions to get a corner in the first round of the draft for quite some time. However, the problem has usually been that they had other glaring needs, or the prospects at corner weren't good enough to warrant them picking with where their pick was.

In my eyes, there are only three positions the Lions should consider in the first round: CB, LB or WR. As I said in a previous post, good linebackers and second receivers are routinely found in later rounds. However, that is not the case with cornerbacks. Most really good corners come out of the first round. But the Lions have to make sure they steer away from the 'smurf' corners. They need to identify a big, physical corner who can start jamming receivers.

December 30th, 2013, 11:05 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

m2karateman wrote:
BillySims wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

Billy, you need to go back and look at some of my posts. I've been petitioning for the Lions to get a corner in the first round of the draft for quite some time. However, the problem has usually been that they had other glaring needs, or the prospects at corner weren't good enough to warrant them picking with where their pick was.

In my eyes, there are only three positions the Lions should consider in the first round: CB, LB or WR. As I said in a previous post, good linebackers and second receivers are routinely found in later rounds. However, that is not the case with cornerbacks. Most really good corners come out of the first round. But the Lions have to make sure they steer away from the 'smurf' corners. They need to identify a big, physical corner who can start jamming receivers.

Mostly agree, but I would add OT to your list. I'm not convinced we're set at tackle. So if the top tackle falls, BPA might come into play. I realize it's not the greatest need.

December 30th, 2013, 11:31 am
3rd Round Selection

DE not a possibility? Taylor has looked better than expected, and Jones will be back from injury (and looked decent), but another stud DE would be very valuable IMO. I'd prefer a WR or CB, but if the BPA at 10 is a DE, I'm happy for us to take him.

December 30th, 2013, 11:45 am
NFL Veteran

M2K is so on the nose with saying that roster moves take distant second to who they get as a new HC. It's pretty hard to say what the Lions will need without knowing the schemes they will be using and the fact that many new HCs will try to bring in guys from their old teams. If they decide to turn to a 3-4 LB could become their number one need or if a more play action run game is used they may feel OL is the bigger need.

December 30th, 2013, 1:27 pm
3rd Round Selection

I'll be surprised if we get a coach who wants to run a 3-4 defense.

IMO we get a coach who can work with the pieces we have. Especially with Mayhew being the man conducting the coaching search.

December 30th, 2013, 1:44 pm
NFL Veteran

UK Lion wrote:
I'll be surprised if we get a coach who wants to run a 3-4 defense.

IMO we get a coach who can work with the pieces we have. Especially with Mayhew being the man conducting the coaching search.

They were already trying some 3-4 before the season with Schwartz and Gunny. Most of their talent is on their Dline and offense, so I really don't see this team having much of a problem making major scheme changes. The Dline is full of guys that could fit almost anywhere on a line and the offense really could go any direction with the Bush/Bell combo plus Stafford/CJ.

December 30th, 2013, 2:49 pm
RIP Killer

Somebody asked Stafford who the next Lions head coach should be but his answer was picked off before I could hear it.

December 30th, 2013, 2:56 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

CB: Dennard, Justin Gilbert, Loucheiz Purifoy. I think we need 2 new CBs
WR: Sammy Watkins(Everything you want in a WR and his RAC is a serious issue for defenses), Kelvin Benjamin, Marquise Lee, Mike Evans, Allen Robinson. It really shouldn't be hard to find a good WR. No one should ever need to trot out someone like Kris Durham.

December 30th, 2013, 7:37 pm
RIP Killer

liontrax wrote:

Mostly agree, but I would add OT to your list. I'm not convinced we're set at tackle. So if the top tackle falls, BPA might come into play. I realize it's not the greatest need.

The Lions don't have a need for a starting offensive tackle, so there is no need to draft one in round one. I was speaking specifically about the first round.

However, were I in charge of the Lions draft room, offensive tackle would only be drafted if a player at that position fell for some ridiculous reason. Reiff and Waddle are good starters. Stafford was among the least sacked QBs this season. Our running game was pretty decent with them, and the addition of Warford at right guard with Sims at left really helped. Our biggest need on the line is going to be at center. I am not sure Rodney Austin is that guy or not. I know Dylan Gandy isn't that guy to replace Raiola. And the Lions shouldn't continue forward thinking Raiola can put together another season like this past one. He played well, but he's still not the ideal guy from a physical perspective.

Our biggest need on offense is a second receiver and someone to pull Matt's head out of his butt. Other than that, we are in pretty solid shape.

December 30th, 2013, 10:14 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

m2karateman wrote:
liontrax wrote:

The Lions don't have a need for a starting offensive tackle, so there is no need to draft one in round one. I was speaking specifically about the first round.

However, were I in charge of the Lions draft room, offensive tackle would only be drafted if a player at that position fell for some ridiculous reason. Reiff and Waddle are good starters. Stafford was among the least sacked QBs this season. Our running game was pretty decent with them, and the addition of Warford at right guard with Sims at left really helped. Our biggest need on the line is going to be at center. I am not sure Rodney Austin is that guy or not. I know Dylan Gandy isn't that guy to replace Raiola. And the Lions shouldn't continue forward thinking Raiola can put together another season like this past one. He played well, but he's still not the ideal guy from a physical perspective.

Our biggest need on offense is a second receiver and someone to pull Matt's head out of his butt. Other than that, we are in pretty solid shape.

Again, agree. Waddle was a fortunate find and performed well when pressed into service. I believe our greatest need for round 1 would be CB or WR. Will one worthy of the 10th pick be there? Just saying that in what appears to be a Tackle rich draft, if the top one falls do you ignore it? Mayhew always professes to go BPA. But maybe at this point in the rebuild of the talent base they can start addressing need as opposed to BPA. Would also like to see the Lions draft a TE relatively high (first 4 rounds) and let Pettigrew walk.

December 31st, 2013, 9:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 112 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next