View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 1:18 am



Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 NFL Coaching Changes 
Author Message
3rd Round Selection

Joined: October 19th, 2005, 1:24 pm
Posts: 1165
Location: Nottingham, England
Post NFL Coaching Changes
Surprised to see Chudzinski fired in Cleveland after only one season. To complain about the team giving up on the coach, after the front office signaled to the team that they had given up on the season, seems harsh.

Frazier also gone from the Vikings.

Rex Ryan to remain with the Jets - shame, I would have liked to have seen him with the Lions.


December 30th, 2013, 10:10 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9494
Location: Dallas
Post Re: NFL Coaching Changes
Mike Shanahan is out in Washington as well. In Houston, the asst coaches have been told to look for other opportunities.

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


December 30th, 2013, 11:06 am
Profile WWW
3rd Round Selection

Joined: October 19th, 2005, 1:24 pm
Posts: 1165
Location: Nottingham, England
Post Re: NFL Coaching Changes
Schiano's gone, along with the GM


December 30th, 2013, 12:43 pm
Profile
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3692
Location: WSU
Post Re: NFL Coaching Changes
UK Lion wrote:
Surprised to see Chudzinski fired in Cleveland after only one season. To complain about the team giving up on the coach, after the front office signaled to the team that they had given up on the season, seems harsh.

Frazier also gone from the Vikings.

Rex Ryan to remain with the Jets - shame, I would have liked to have seen him with the Lions.



cleveland situation is ridiculous


December 30th, 2013, 6:15 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7441
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: NFL Coaching Changes
Quote:
Bill O'Brien agrees to be Houston Texans head coach
348

By Gregg Rosenthal
Around The League Editor
Published: Dec. 31, 2013 at 10:37 p.m.
Updated: Jan. 1, 2014 at 01:15 p.m.

The Houston Texans were the first team to make a head coaching change this season, firing Gary Kubiak on Dec. 6. With less than two hours left until the ball dropped in Times Square, the Texans found a new coach.
NFL coaching shake-up

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Tuesday night that the Texans reached an agreement with Bill O'Brien for him to become their next head coach, according to a source informed of the negotiations. O'Brien, the former New England Patriots offensive coordinator, leaves Penn State just two seasons after taking over the program.

ESPN first reported the news.

O'Brien's profile is not so different than Kubiak's was when the Texans hired him in 2006. Like Kubiak, O'Brien is a young offensive mind that learned at the feet of a coach with multiple Super Bowl championships.

The move caps a whirlwind career climb for the 44-year-old O'Brien, who was Duke's offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach as recently as 2006. He worked his way up through offensive jobs in New England, taking over as coordinator in 2011. He went 15-9 in two seasons at Penn State, easily topping expectations in 2012 after the program was decimated following the Jerry Sandusky scandal and NCAA sanctions.

However, it is becoming apparent that O'Brien was not at Penn State for the long haul. Two Januarys ago, O'Brien's then-agent Joe Linta told Rapoport: "Everybody's dream, like (O'Brien's), is to be an NFL coach."

In New England, O'Brien's offense relied on two-tight end sets, changing game plans dramatically from week to week. Unlike Patriots offensive coordinators Charlie Weis and Josh McDaniels before him, O'Brien found success after leaving the talented arm of Tom Brady. O'Brien will also work with a strong general manager in Rick Smith rather than hold personnel control like McDaniels.

It's hard to imagine a more difficult, pressure-packed situation than the one O'Brien inherited at Penn State. He handled it all well, especially the public side of being a coach. That experience should serve him well in Houston, where expectations will be high. The Texans hold the No. 1 overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, and it would be a surprise if they don't take a quarterback.

Houston is known as a well-run, patient organization under owner Bob McNair. It's a great job and O'Brien was smart to jump at it, no matter how much backlash he gets from the Penn State community.

After years of falling short of the Patriots in the AFC, the Texans decided to see if a Bill Belichick protege can turn their franchise around.


January 1st, 2014, 3:05 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7441
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: NFL Coaching Changes
Quote:
Lovie Smith close to finalizing deal with Buccaneers

By Kevin Patra
Around the League writer
Published: Jan. 1, 2014 at 08:59 p.m.
Updated: Jan. 1, 2014 at 09:23 p.m.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers wasted no time finding the man to run their team.


Lovie Smith will be the new coach in Tampa, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Wednesday, according to a source. The sides are finalizing a deal.

Smith, the former Chicago Bears coach, was the leading candidate from the start of the Bucs' search. He will return to the team where he was the linebackers coach from 1996 to 2000. FOX's Jay Glazer first reported that both sides were finalizing the contract.

League executives informed of the Bucs' process told Rapoport earlier this week that there was talk of bringing together the old Tampa Bay group, including former Bears general manager Jerry Angelo, former Seahawks general manager Tim Ruskell and others.

Smith compiled an 81-63 record in nine seasons with the Bears. During his time in the Windy City, Smith championed solid defensive groups. His talents and leadership should mesh well with the defensive personnel currently in Tampa.

The biggest critique of Smith in Chicago was his handling of the offensive side of the ball.

To quell those concerns, sources close to Smith told Rapoport earlier in the week that the plan is to bring in former Cal head coach Jeff Tedford as offensive coordinator.

With the hire, the Bucs will be a trendy pick to go from cellar dweller to playoff contender -- similar to the path the Kansas City Chiefs took this year after the hire of Andy Reid.

Smith previously interviewed with the Houston Texans, who will name Bill O'Brien as their head coach. The Detroit Lions also had strong interest in interviewing Smith for their opening.

The Bucs made sure Smith never made it to that interview.


January 1st, 2014, 10:29 pm
Profile
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3692
Location: WSU
Post Re: NFL Coaching Changes
well that didnt take long

Quote:
http://tracking.si.com/2014/01/01/gus-malzahn-james-franklin-jim-schwartz-browns-coach-nfl/?eref=sihp


Jim Schwartz to be Browns new D-Coordinator, werent they running a 3-4? wonder if he ll try to take anyone from the lions


January 1st, 2014, 10:57 pm
Profile
Rookie Player of the Year
User avatar

Joined: August 24th, 2010, 9:54 pm
Posts: 2310
Post Re: NFL Coaching Changes
The Legend wrote:
well that didnt take long

Quote:
http://tracking.si.com/2014/01/01/gus-malzahn-james-franklin-jim-schwartz-browns-coach-nfl/?eref=sihp


Jim Schwartz to be Browns new D-Coordinator, werent they running a 3-4? wonder if he ll try to take anyone from the lions


He can have Delmas and Tulloch.

_________________
Driver of the Jim Caldwell bandwagon. Climb aboard.


January 2nd, 2014, 12:34 am
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2007, 5:51 pm
Posts: 2283
Post Re: NFL Coaching Changes
So they penciled in the DC before hiring the Headcoach? Sounds like a weird way to build your Staff but whatever.


January 2nd, 2014, 1:32 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9891
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: NFL Coaching Changes
thelomasbrowns wrote:
The Legend wrote:
well that didnt take long

Quote:
http://tracking.si.com/2014/01/01/gus-malzahn-james-franklin-jim-schwartz-browns-coach-nfl/?eref=sihp


Jim Schwartz to be Browns new D-Coordinator, werent they running a 3-4? wonder if he ll try to take anyone from the lions


He can have Delmas and Tulloch.


He can take a few others as well, from offense defense and ST.


QUESTION: What does the hiring of Schwartz in Cleveland do to the Lions in regards to them paying him the remaining years on his contract? Do they still HAVE to pay him the entire $12M, or do they make up the difference between what Cleveland is paying him over two years and the $12M, or does his hiring wipe out the Lions owing him that money?

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


Last edited by m2karateman on January 2nd, 2014, 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.



January 2nd, 2014, 4:10 pm
Profile
Rookie Player of the Year

Joined: October 13th, 2005, 9:03 am
Posts: 2309
Post Re: NFL Coaching Changes
I think they are looking at Schwartz mainly because he is a client of Sexton (he and Lomabardi have close ties). If they do sign Schwartz before a HC, I bet McDaniels (also a Sexton client) will be heir new HC.


January 2nd, 2014, 4:24 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7441
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: NFL Coaching Changes
m2karateman wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
The Legend wrote:
well that didnt take long

Quote:
http://tracking.si.com/2014/01/01/gus-malzahn-james-franklin-jim-schwartz-browns-coach-nfl/?eref=sihp


Jim Schwartz to be Browns new D-Coordinator, werent they running a 3-4? wonder if he ll try to take anyone from the lions


He can have Delmas and Tulloch.


He can take a few others as well, from offense defense and ST.


QUESTION: What does the hiring of Schwartz in Cleveland do to the Lions in regards to them paying him the remaining years on his contract? Do they still HAVE to pay him the entire $12M, or do they make up the difference between what Cleveland is paying him over two years and the $12M, or does his hiring wipe out the Lions owing him that money?


If his contract with the Lions included the offset language, the Lions will owe him the difference between what he makes in Cleveland and what he would have made in Detroit. If his contract did NOT include the offset language, the Lions still owe him every penny.


January 2nd, 2014, 4:59 pm
Profile
QB Coach

Joined: January 13th, 2006, 4:18 am
Posts: 3216
Location: Maryland
Post Re: NFL Coaching Changes
Do you think the Bengals will make a head coaching change? Marvin Lewis has been there for 11 years and has 5 playoff appearances. He has lost in the Wild Card round in each of those. In addition, (though maybe less likely after today's showing) Cincy has 2 coordinators who may get head coaching jobs this offseason. Could they make the switch to one of the coordinators or, if both depart, clear out the rest of the staff?


January 5th, 2014, 6:39 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9891
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: NFL Coaching Changes
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Do you think the Bengals will make a head coaching change? Marvin Lewis has been there for 11 years and has 5 playoff appearances. He has lost in the Wild Card round in each of those. In addition, (though maybe less likely after today's showing) Cincy has 2 coordinators who may get head coaching jobs this offseason. Could they make the switch to one of the coordinators or, if both depart, clear out the rest of the staff?


I don't think Lewis is going anywhere. People have been very critical of some of the players that Lewis has taken, particularly those who have had off-field issues. He's worked with them, and a good number of those players have mostly stayed out of trouble. I can't see the team getting rid of him simply because they have struggled in the wild card games. At least the team is getting there to play in those games.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


January 5th, 2014, 10:54 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7441
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: NFL Coaching Changes
I wonder if Schwartz has a chance at the Titans HC job.


January 6th, 2014, 12:38 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.