View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 20th, 2014, 7:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Rose Bowl Win 
Player of the Year - Defense

Post Rose Bowl Win
Good job Spartans. Great game. Mark Dantonio built a hell of a program.

Now, if Michigan doesn't make some coaching changes in the near-term, I think I'll be going College Football free in 2014.

January 2nd, 2014, 9:49 am
RIP Killer

Post Re: Rose Bowl Win
Blueskies wrote:

Now, if Michigan doesn't make some coaching changes in the near-term, I think I'll be going College Football free in 2014.

Change your name to Greenskies and come on over to the dark side!

Sparty kicked of 2014 right. So glad to have class guys like Izzo and Dantonio representing the Green and White.

January 2nd, 2014, 10:03 am
Profile WWW
League MVP

Blueskies wrote:

what was msu's record last season smart guy? how many season's before Dantonio got a 10 win season? how about a bowl win?

the key word is "built" a distinction from what you really seem to want at UM - "turned around overnight" like a magic trick

January 2nd, 2014, 10:09 am
League MVP

Pablo wrote:
Blueskies wrote:

Sparty kicked of 2014 right. So glad to have class guys like Izzo and Dantonio representing the Green and White.

take him, good riddance

January 2nd, 2014, 10:10 am

Don't worry; I won't be rooting for the Spartans anytime soon. I only root for schools I attended. Not a big fan of Walmart Wolverines or -- and this is finally actually starting to emerge among younger people -- Walmart Spartans.

Comparing the time it took Dantonio to win with Michigan State to how long it will take Michigan is an insult to Michigan. Does Michigan State have billionaire donors? Do they have the Michigan name?

Dantonio is about a million times better coach than Hoke, and I expect to keep losing to Michigan State as long as he's there and our sideline is occupied by a fat bozo.

January 2nd, 2014, 10:18 am
League MVP

Blueskies wrote:
Don't worry; I won't be rooting for the Spartans anytime soon. I only root for schools I attended. Not a big fan of Walmart Wolverines or -- and this is finally actually starting to emerge among younger people -- Walmart Spartans.

Comparing the time it took Dantonio to win with Michigan State to how long it will take Michigan is an insult to Michigan. Does Michigan State have billionaire donors? Do they have the Michigan name?

Dantonio is about a million times better coach than Hoke, and I expect to keep losing to Michigan State as long as he's there and our sideline is occupied by a fat bozo.

you would have fired dantonio after 3 seasons.

January 2nd, 2014, 10:24 am

First, like I said, I believe Dantonio is a fundamentally better coach than Hoke. He's done far more with far less. Just because it took him 4 years to start winning at Michigan State doesn't mean it would've taken him 4 years to win at Michigan. The situations and expectations are different.

Second, I hated Hoke from day one. He never won anything before he got here. No other major program would've even considered hiring him. As far as I can see, he was only hired because of his ties to Carr and because (presumably) Harbaugh turned Michigan down. His hiring was pure nepotism -- there was nothing in his resume to make you think he would be a good coach at Michigan.

And, as I expected, he hasn't been a good coach. He had one good year with Rich Rod's players and a fluky season (lucked out with facing VTech, Ohio State didn't have a coach, etc) and since then, it's been terrible. Bad sideline decisions. No player development. Teams have gotten worse every single year. This is an objective fact: Hoke has done nothing to make you think he's going to turn Michigan around. He's had supposedly great recruiting classes, but so did Charlie Weiss at Notre Dame.

I can understand retaining him based purely on the idea that you need to show stability to potential recruits. But he was a bad hire and I think that will proven out in the coming years. I hope I'm wrong, but there's been nothing to make me think I am.

January 2nd, 2014, 10:39 am
Hall of Fame Player

Hoke will be just fine. Next year the see saw tips in his favor. He will finally have as many of his recruits playing as there is Rich Rod recruits. But, you know darn well that college football is dominated by Juniors and Seniors. Only a few Freshmen and Sophomores dominate. Hoke's Recruits are Freshmen and Sophomores. Next year he gets his first class of Juniors.

His recruiting classes are lagging by 1 year because the recruiting is all wrapped up by the time College coaches get fired and replaced.

So, over the next 2 years, we will see how good, or bad, Hoke is. I am fine with replacing him if he fails. But, you have got to give him the time to get 4 Traditional Michigan recruiting classes playing together for 1 season.

January 2nd, 2014, 11:05 am
Team MVP

Pablo wrote:
Blueskies wrote:

Agree. Go green!

But MSU still isn't good right? Because they are a basketball program, right? Can they finally get some darn respect? Like them or not, give them the respect they deserve.

I do hope UofM gets back to their normal selfs and become very good again . Not because I like them, I cannot stand them, but the big ten just isn't the same without UofM being one of the few teams to beat.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 2nd, 2014, 11:09 am
League MVP

Blueskies wrote:
First, like I said, I believe Dantonio is a fundamentally better coach than Hoke. He's done far more with far less. Just because it took him 4 years to start winning at Michigan State doesn't mean it would've taken him 4 years to win at Michigan. The situations and expectations are different.

Second, I hated Hoke from day one. He never won anything before he got here. No other major program would've even considered hiring him. As far as I can see, he was only hired because of his ties to Carr and because (presumably) Harbaugh turned Michigan down. His hiring was pure nepotism -- there was nothing in his resume to make you think he would be a good coach at Michigan.

And, as I expected, he hasn't been a good coach. He had one good year with Rich Rod's players and a fluky season (lucked out with facing VTech, Ohio State didn't have a coach, etc) and since then, it's been terrible. Bad sideline decisions. No player development. Teams have gotten worse every single year. This is an objective fact: Hoke has done nothing to make you think he's going to turn Michigan around. He's had supposedly great recruiting classes, but so did Charlie Weiss at Notre Dame.

I can understand retaining him based purely on the idea that you need to show stability to potential recruits. But he was a bad hire and I think that will proven out in the coming years. I hope I'm wrong, but there's been nothing to make me think I am.

your whole argument starts and ends with you hated him from day one. anything else you are more than wiling to write off as fluke or luck or whatever you want to call it. hoke was willing to coach up rich rod s players from the beginning and the transition is happening now. i do agree 2014 will have to show some major progress to keep hoke but at least theoretically there should be more than the niche type talent that rich rod left for hoke.

January 2nd, 2014, 11:27 am
Hall of Fame Player

kdsberman wrote:
Pablo wrote:
Blueskies wrote:

Agree. Go green!

But MSU still isn't good right? Because they are a basketball program, right? Can they finally get some darn respect? Like them or not, give them the respect they deserve.

I do hope UofM gets back to their normal selfs and become very good again . Not because I like them, I cannot stand them, but the big ten just isn't the same without UofM being one of the few teams to beat.

Why do people expect respect because their team had a good year. Do you really think Spartan fans respected Michigan last year just because the Wolverine Basketball team went to the National Championship game?

January 2nd, 2014, 11:31 am
Heisman Winner

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/92907/msus-journey-to-elite-status-now-complete

Everything you want your program to be and more. Congrats on the best season I've witnessed from MSU. Now it's on to the next goal.

January 2nd, 2014, 11:39 am
Hall of Fame Player

aManNamedSuh wrote:
http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/92907/msus-journey-to-elite-status-now-complete

Everything you want your program to be and more. Congrats on the best season I've witnessed from MSU. Now it's on to the next goal.

Wow. 1 great season and they are now an elite? 68-32-5. It will take another 36 years without a loss to Michigan for Sparty to pull even with Michigan. Don't hold your breath waiting for that.

Point is, it takes a solid decade or more of a consistent top twenty ranking and top recruiting classes to even be in the running to be an elite school. Michigan was there. And then Rich Rod happened.

Fortunately, we were able to recover the recruiting quickly enough. Hopefully the top twenty end of season rankings follow starting next year.

January 2nd, 2014, 12:07 pm
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
It will take another 36 years without a loss to Michigan for Sparty to pull even with Michigan. Don't hold your breath waiting for that.

Sorry Billy, you are living in the past and it has been more than one season now. MSU has already passed Michigan (and by quite a margin now), phew we can exhale now. Let's see, 3 of of the last 4 years with double digit wins, 3 straight bowl wins, won 2 of the first 3 legends titles, beat UofM 4 out of 5 years including this years 29-6 thrashing and now have an identity (#1 defense in the country).

Perhaps you missed what Coach Izzo did with the basketball team but the same thing now appears to be happening with the football team as well under Dantonio. That's OK, people said the same thing about our BBall program - we can't recruit like Duke, North Carolina, Kansas or Kentucky, we will never be an elite basketball program.

You can talk about recruiting all you want, good luck with all those "blue" chippers... We will continue to settle things on the field. Very proud of my Spartans, not only have they done it - they have done it the right way - Go Green, Go White!

Now, shouldn't this thread be about a great Spartan season and Rose Bowl Victory - stop hijacking the thread Wolverines....

January 2nd, 2014, 12:52 pm
Profile WWW
Team MVP

Pablo wrote:
BillySims wrote:
It will take another 36 years without a loss to Michigan for Sparty to pull even with Michigan. Don't hold your breath waiting for that.

Sorry Billy, you are living in the past and it has been more than one season now. MSU has already passed Michigan (and by quite a margin now), phew we can exhale now. Let's see, 3 of of the last 4 years with double digit wins, 3 straight bowl wins, won 2 of the first 3 legends titles, beat UofM 4 out of 5 years including this years 29-6 thrashing and now have an identity (#1 defense in the country).

Perhaps you missed what Coach Izzo did with the basketball team but the same thing now appears to be happening with the football team as well under Dantonio. That's OK, people said the same thing about our BBall program - we can't recruit like Duke, North Carolina, Kansas or Kentucky, we will never be an elite basketball program.

You can talk about recruiting all you want, good luck with all those "blue" chippers... We will continue to settle things on the field. Very proud of my Spartans, not only have they done it - they have done it the right way - Go Green, Go White!

Now, shouldn't this thread be about a great Spartan season and Rose Bowl Victory - stop hijacking the thread Wolverines....

Well said.

No matter what MSU does, there will always be reasons and excuses for why they still arent good, or why Michigan is still better. Pretty pathetic. MSU goes from not even knowing who their starting RB was going to be, to having one who ends up ranking among all-time MSU running backs, having gone through QB's, finally finding how to play offense, completely embarrassing Michigan (and overrated Taylor Lewan), having the #1 D in the country, going to #4 and winning the Rose Bowl against a very good team....yet UofM fans CONTINUE to disrespect them. Makes me almost like OSU more. Shoot, they could go to the BCS Championship game, win it, and they STILL wouldnt be "good". Yet UofM goes to some knock-off bowl game, loses, and somehow THEY are still the better program. I dont care what USED to be, I care about what is NOW.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 2nd, 2014, 11:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next