View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 21st, 2014, 2:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Rose Bowl Win 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Rose Bowl Win
kdsberman wrote:
Pablo wrote:
BillySims wrote:
It will take another 36 years without a loss to Michigan for Sparty to pull even with Michigan. Don't hold your breath waiting for that.

Sorry Billy, you are living in the past and it has been more than one season now. MSU has already passed Michigan (and by quite a margin now), phew we can exhale now. Let's see, 3 of of the last 4 years with double digit wins, 3 straight bowl wins, won 2 of the first 3 legends titles, beat UofM 4 out of 5 years including this years 29-6 thrashing and now have an identity (#1 defense in the country).

Perhaps you missed what Coach Izzo did with the basketball team but the same thing now appears to be happening with the football team as well under Dantonio. That's OK, people said the same thing about our BBall program - we can't recruit like Duke, North Carolina, Kansas or Kentucky, we will never be an elite basketball program.

You can talk about recruiting all you want, good luck with all those "blue" chippers... We will continue to settle things on the field. Very proud of my Spartans, not only have they done it - they have done it the right way - Go Green, Go White!

Now, shouldn't this thread be about a great Spartan season and Rose Bowl Victory - stop hijacking the thread Wolverines....

Well said.

No matter what MSU does, there will always be reasons and excuses for why they still arent good, or why Michigan is still better. Pretty pathetic. MSU goes from not even knowing who their starting RB was going to be, to having one who ends up ranking among all-time MSU running backs, having gone through QB's, finally finding how to play offense, completely embarrassing Michigan (and overrated Taylor Lewan), having the #1 D in the country, going to #4 and winning the Rose Bowl against a very good team....yet UofM fans CONTINUE to disrespect them. Makes me almost like OSU more. Shoot, they could go to the BCS Championship game, win it, and they STILL wouldnt be "good". Yet UofM goes to some knock-off bowl game, loses, and somehow THEY are still the better program. I dont care what USED to be, I care about what is NOW.

Oh I respect what they did this year. But, you guys are jumping the gun saying that Sparty is now a football elite. And re-read what I said. I was saying that UofM is not a football elite anymore because Rich Rod happened. It takes several years of sustained success to be elite. UofM went to the NCAA Basketball championship game last year. Did any of us claim the Wolverines are now a basketball elite? I didn't see it if any of us did.

January 3rd, 2014, 12:32 am
RIP Killer

With the Spartans knocking off #5, #3 Alabama losing last night and #1 and #2 playing in the Championship game, looks like the #4 Spartans will finish #2 in the final BCS rankings. Go State!

January 3rd, 2014, 10:32 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

Pablo wrote:
With the Spartans knocking off #5, #3 Alabama losing last night and #1 and #2 playing in the Championship game, looks like the #4 Spartans will finish #2 in the final BCS rankings. Go State!

Doesn't tonight's loser become the #2 team? I think so. So, at best Sparty would be #3.

January 3rd, 2014, 10:54 am
Modmin Dude

BillySims wrote:
Pablo wrote:

Doesn't tonight's loser become the #2 team? I think so. So, at best Sparty would be #3.
MSU math?!? :shock: :lol:

January 3rd, 2014, 11:03 am
RIP Killer

TheRealWags wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Pablo wrote:

Maybe a few of y'all could use some math lessons at State or learn how to read a calendar - not sure which. As for tonight's games, we have #8 Missouri takes on #13 Ok State and #7 Ohio State takes on #12 Clemson - none of those teams will finish in the top 2 . As for the championship game on Monday, do you remember last year when the top two teams played do you still think Notre Dame ranked in the top 2 after losing to Alabama? No, both Oregon and Ohio State jumped them. See, when a team loses a game - it often falls in the polls.

Perhaps if Florida State plays well and still loses they will only fall to #2, but if Auburn loses it's second game of the year I think a one-loss Spartans team jumps them in the polls and finishes #2 overall.

January 3rd, 2014, 11:25 am
Profile WWW
Heisman Winner

Pablo wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Pablo wrote:

Maybe a few of y'all could use some math lessons at State or learn how to read a calendar - not sure which. As for tonight's games, we have #8 Missouri takes on #13 Ok State and #7 Ohio State takes on #12 Clemson - none of those teams will finish in the top 2 . As for the championship game on Monday, do you remember last year when the top two teams played do you still think Notre Dame ranked in the top 2 after losing to Alabama? No, both Oregon and Ohio State jumped them. See, when a team loses a game - it often falls in the polls.

Perhaps if Florida State plays well and still loses they will only fall to #2, but if Auburn loses it's second game of the year I think a one-loss Spartans team jumps them in the polls and finishes #2 overall.

Now don't use logic and/or facts you'll confuse them.

January 3rd, 2014, 12:25 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

As a program, I would put MSU on the level of Wisconsin right now. Not one particular season, but the strength of the overall program.

That is to say, they're a top 15-20 program, but an elite school on the level of Alabama/Texas/Oklahoma/OSU etc? No.

January 3rd, 2014, 3:47 pm
Heisman Winner

Blueskies wrote:
As a program, I would put MSU on the level of Wisconsin right now. Not one particular season, but the strength of the overall program.

That is to say, they're a top 15-20 program, but an elite school on the level of Alabama/Texas/Oklahoma/OSU etc? No.

I think the idea of historically looking at a program to decide if at a point in time they are elite is kind of comparing apples to oranges. While I'm not exactly sure if I consider them elite year to year at this point, they have put together 11+ wins 3 out of the last 4 years. Last year is what gives me pause to say they are elite at this point. But, nationally, they are getting their props right now. Beside the point nobody on this board called them elite, SI, ESPN and FOX Sports did that, but what do they know?

January 3rd, 2014, 4:02 pm
Modmin Dude

Pablo wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Pablo wrote:

d'oh! ](*,)

January 4th, 2014, 12:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2