View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 23rd, 2014, 12:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 10 Reasons the Lions should take a QB at pick 10 
RIP Killer

Post 10 Reasons the Lions should take a QB at pick 10
OK, now that I've got your attention and you've already totally dismissed the idea let's try to be open minded, if just for a second.

First, this all depends on one of the top 4 QBs "slipping" to 10 but if that happens (and you happened to like that QB - either Bridgewater, Bortles, Carr or Manziel) would you take him?

Here are some reasons you might want to consider it...

1. Shaun Hill is a FA. QB is the most important position in the game and as we saw in the NFCN, QBs go down. Backup QB can be critical to making the playoffs.

2. Kellen Moore sucks. If the Lions need to put him in the game just wave the white flag. If you have two young stud QBs, why keep a 3rd?

3. Are you totally convinced Stafford is the guy? I mean 100%. How about a backup plan? Plan B for a franchise QB.

4. Would it hurt to have someone to push Matt? I mean Mr. "I don't need a QB Guru" probably could use a little wake up call after last season. I mean, do you want to see Staff clean up his mechanics and cut down on his mistakes.

5. If Stafford does breakout, there are always teams looking for QBs and you trade the backup away for future picks.

6. What other position is in such a critical need that the #10 pick is needed to fill this hole?

7. Even if you came up with something, what happens if the Lions address that need in FA? Then there is the 2nd, 3rd and other rounds to address holes.

8. Who else there is so amazing you must take him? Now if Clowney falls then you might have to add him but is Dennard really the next great shutdown corner? Is there really a WR2 that you gotta have at pick 10? We seem pretty young and solid at OT. Same at DE with last years rookies.

9. Save Money... Take off Hill's $3.3 Million cap hit off and replace it with the 10th pick in the draft who is due to make about $12M over 4 years ($3M/year). Since we don't need Moore, that is about another $500K saved. See, we are now about $800K ahead of the game. I'm no expert on the cap, but I don't see it hurting the Lions at least.

10. Basically this all comes back to my basic premise since this site launched in 2004, the Lions aren't going anywhere without a franchise QB. The organization just isn't that good to overcome an issue at this position. If QB is so critical, why not be creative and take some risks there? I say keep drafting QBs until you are 100% sure you got one and the #10 spot this year just might be a good opportunity...

OK, now you can let me have it!

January 3rd, 2014, 10:28 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: 10 Reason the Lions should take a QB at pick 10
ARE YOU STINKING CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You forgot reason #11. If we draft the #4 QB in this draft at #10, it will force anyone that is desperate for a QB, and is in love with him, to fork over a boatload of picks to get us to trade him to them.

January 3rd, 2014, 11:04 am
RIP Killer

Post Re: 10 Reasons the Lions should take a QB at pick 10
I think the front office is sold on Stafford as the franchise QB, hence the enormous contract extension they gave him. And, in truth, I don't think they have the collective ball sack to tell him 'We will draft a QB at 10 if we like one, because you flat out sucked and we aren't convinced you are the guy'. They'll be too afraid to upset his fragile ego.

However, I think Stafford does need that competition. I think Shaun Hill will leave in free agency for a couple reasons. One, he would probably like to play for a winning franchise, and two, he probably wants to go somewhere that he has an HONEST shot at starting. Stafford did all he could to get himself pulled, and it didn't happen. Whether that was a product of Schwartz being hard headed, or whether it was a product of Schwartz being told that Stafford plays until he dies, I don't know.

We all know the Lions won't take a QB at 10, even if that guy is clearly the best player on the board. They will trade away that pick before taking the guy. You know they'll have takers willing to trade away something of worth, particularly if only one or two QBs have come off the board by that point.

Of course, no way to anticipate trades. But I could see the draft going down this way if no trades happen in round one at the top:

Houston - QB Teddy Bridgewater
St. Louis - OT Jake Matthews
Jacksonville - DE Jadeveon Clowney
Cleveland - QB Derek Carr
Oakland - LB Anthony Barr
Atlanta - DT Louis Nix
Tampa Bay - LB Khalil Mack
Minnesota - QB Brett Hundley
Buffalo - WR Mike Evans
Detroit - ???????????

So, who do you plug in for Detroit? Sammy Watkins is who I'd go with. Darqueze Dennard is a reach at that spot, in my opinion. I don't think he's polished enough to warrant that high a pick. CJ Mosely? I think the Lions can wait to get a playmaking LBer in this draft, and maybe get Mosely's teammate Adrian Hubbard later on. Ha'shean Clinton-Dix? I'd rather have him to replace Delmas than taking Dennard.

Another thought? Jace Amaro or Eric Ebron. Both would be really good playmaking TEs to replace Brandon Pettigrew. They would be like a younger, faster version of Tony Scheffler.

January 3rd, 2014, 9:52 pm
Team MVP

I think corner is still our biggest need but not one worthy of pick 10. I was actually thinking recently about taking a QB if one we liked fell to 10 but it will never happen. If one of them is still there, I think we'd try to trade down but looking at the draft, who would want to move up? Almost all the teams in need of a QB draft before us. The Titans at 11 need a QB but they won't move up 1 spot unless someone else threatens to move up. The Rams at 13 and the Browns at 26 may need QBs but the Browns will likely take one with their first pick and I think the Rams will stick with Bradford. If we find a trade partner, I'd take one of the corners. If we stay at 10, Barr is my new front runner. He won't be there, but a pass rushing LB would be a big addition to this D. My next pick would be one of the WRs and right now I'm torn between Evans and Watkins.

I could see us picking a QB late in the draft, especially if Shaun Hill departs.

January 3rd, 2014, 11:15 pm
Player of the Year - Offense

If Tampa takes Khalil Mack and pairs him with Lavonte David... That defense is going to be something else...if they aren't too cap strung by Revis to fix the secondary.

Yeah, we know corner is an issue and a safety position if they cut/trade Delmas makes sense also, but WR seems the best need/value and BPA at 10. There's a few corners available this year in FA, so maybe they draft someone but bring in another decent name to shore it up this year.

January 4th, 2014, 2:03 am
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

m2karateman wrote:
I think the front office is sold on Stafford as the franchise QB, hence the enormous contract extension they gave him. And, in truth, I don't think they have the collective ball sack to tell him 'We will draft a QB at 10 if we like one, because you flat out sucked and we aren't convinced you are the guy'. They'll be too afraid to upset his fragile ego.

However, I think Stafford does need that competition. I think Shaun Hill will leave in free agency for a couple reasons. One, he would probably like to play for a winning franchise, and two, he probably wants to go somewhere that he has an HONEST shot at starting. Stafford did all he could to get himself pulled, and it didn't happen. Whether that was a product of Schwartz being hard headed, or whether it was a product of Schwartz being told that Stafford plays until he dies, I don't know.

We all know the Lions won't take a QB at 10, even if that guy is clearly the best player on the board. They will trade away that pick before taking the guy. You know they'll have takers willing to trade away something of worth, particularly if only one or two QBs have come off the board by that point.

Of course, no way to anticipate trades. But I could see the draft going down this way if no trades happen in round one at the top:

Atlanta - DT Louis Nix
Buffalo - WR Mike Evans
Detroit - ???????????

So, who do you plug in for Detroit? Sammy Watkins is who I'd go with. Darqueze Dennard is a reach at that spot, in my opinion. I don't think he's polished enough to warrant that high a pick. CJ Mosely? I think the Lions can wait to get a playmaking LBer in this draft, and maybe get Mosely's teammate Adrian Hubbard later on. Ha'shean Clinton-Dix? I'd rather have him to replace Delmas than taking Dennard.

Another thought? Jace Amaro or Eric Ebron. Both would be really good playmaking TEs to replace Brandon Pettigrew. They would be like a younger, faster version of Tony Scheffler.

I would go with Sammy Watkins as he looks like the real thing but if the other QBs like Bortles and Manziel push into that Top 10 then you could see Barr or Mack drop a little bit and then there would be a decision to make. Probably be easier in theory to find a legit WR later on as opposed to an edge rusher. Benjamin from FSU or Richardson from Colorado or Beckham from LSU. I like all of those guys as well. Also, Im in love with the idea of having that big time receiving TE but I dont want the Lions to waste a pick for it unless whoever they draft is Jimmy Graham or Rob Gronkowski Part II. Another Scheffler or Pettigrew is not worth a high draft pick. I havent seen enough of those TEs to really know and Sefarian-Jenkins might be more talented and available later.

January 4th, 2014, 8:18 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

m2karateman wrote:

Atlanta - DT Louis Nix
Buffalo - WR Mike Evans
Detroit - ???????????

Have to agree with the front office. Sure Staff had a bad year. I believe he will rebound. I do agree about drafting another QB to develop, in the later rounds.

" So, who do you plug in for Detroit? " I absolutely agree with you on Sammy Watkins. Had been waiting for the Orange Bowl to get a better look. He looks like the real deal to me, and I would be thrilled if he was our pick, but I doubt he will be there.
He was far and away the most dynamic player on the field last night, and I see his stock rising accordingly.

Also agree about Dennard. Being a Spartan fan I have seen him play alot, and while he is fine CB, I don't see top ten value there and when it's all said and done, he may not even be the top corner in this years draft. Keeping an eye on Justin Gilbert of OK State to see if his stock rises by draft day. If the Lions go CB in the first, I would hope it's after a trade back.

As for drafting a TE or OLB. I'm all for replacing Pettigrew, but again it would have to be after a trading back. I do like Amaro, late first to second round, and at this point I'm not completely sold on the idea of taking a outside backer at 10.

January 4th, 2014, 11:39 am
Team MVP

m2karateman wrote:

Atlanta - DT Louis Nix
Buffalo - WR Mike Evans
Detroit - ???????????

I pretty much agree with everything you said, except I would wait and hopefully get Austin Seferian-Jenkins in round 2, if not trade up. Id take HaHa to replace Delmas (who I think is overrated), but most definitely I would take Sammy Watkins at 10 in a heart beat, I just dont think he will be there when we pick. He further increased his stock with last nights bowl game.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 4th, 2014, 9:02 pm
Varsity Captain

You can throw Bortles in that list now. IMO, he's THE guy.

January 6th, 2014, 12:55 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

Has somebody been huffing glue?

Not a one QB in this years draft is NFL ready - taking one in top 20 means you are desperate for QB. That said those teams that made Christian Ponder Brandon Weedon and Blaine Gabbert number one picks I expect them to try again.

January 6th, 2014, 1:11 am
RIP Killer

Leo wrote:
Has somebody been huffing glue?

Not a one QB in this years draft is NFL ready - taking one in top 20 means you are desperate for QB. That said those teams that made Christian Ponder Brandon Weedon and Blaine Gabbert number one picks I expect them to try again.

I agree. The idea of the Lions selecting a QB in the first four rounds would be ridiculous to me. They have other, more pressing needs. The only way they should consider taking a QB is the idea that Stafford is NOT the guy, and they are seeking to develop another and trade Stafford.

We have a number of teams drafting in front of us this year that ARE QB needy, to say the least. At this point Manziel has not stated whether or not he will enter the draft. But I could see at least three going ahead of us. Bridgewater, Bortles and Carr will likely go top ten. If Maziel opts to enter the draft, he might go top ten. I have my doubts though.

January 6th, 2014, 2:26 pm
RIP Killer

I guess Green Bay should be criticized still for taking Aaron Rodgers in the first round when they had a HOF starting QB? Glad we took BMW that year at 10 since we already had Harrington...

M2K wrote:
They have other, more pressing needs.

What is a more "pressing" need than better QB play for the Lions? IMO - everything else is secondary at this point, by a country mile...

I'm not saying I would target a QB this year, however, if I'm going by BPA and I've got a QB sitting there at #10 who is the top rated player on my board - I'm pulling the trigger, and I know I'm in the vast minority.

As for Stafford, there are two major questions - was 2011 just an aberration (it certainly was for the team)? Can a new coaching staff turn him around?

If you are the new coach - are you hitching your wagon to Stafford like Schwartz? Personally, I like to hedge my big bets and this is the biggest bet on the team. As a fan, no skin off my back if Staff continues to struggle but as a head coach - no thank you gimme an option please...

January 6th, 2014, 2:49 pm
Profile WWW
Player of the Year - Offense

I understand what you're saying Pablo, but the problem is that none of the QB's on that list would be BPA at #10, unless Bridgewater slipped. I wouldn't be surprised if Cinci selected Mettenberger in the 2nd and let Dalton finish out his rookie deal while Mettenberger rehabbed his ACL.

Stafford has the potential to play well. The missing ingredient is that he hasn't been held accountable. A new coach isn't married to him and so he will be held to his highest standard of accountability since being drafted and that is what will either get him to play up to his ability or we draft someone else late or next season.

January 6th, 2014, 3:16 pm
RIP Killer

njroar wrote:
I understand what you're saying Pablo, but the problem is that none of the QB's on that list would be BPA at #10, unless Bridgewater slipped.

might not be on your list, but what about the Lions. What if they have Carr or Manziel both ranked in their top 5 on their boards and one slips to #10?

njroar wrote:
Stafford has the potential to play well. The missing ingredient is that he hasn't been held accountable. A new coach isn't married to him and so he will be held to his highest standard of accountability since being drafted and that is what will either get him to play up to his ability or we draft someone else late or next season.

Stafford's major issue can be traced back to college - inaccuracy. But let's go with your big issue - accountability. As a coach, I've always found it much easier to hold someone accountable if there is some sort of plausible threat such as a replacement. What is the current repercussion if Stafford screws up? Are they going to pull him for Hill or Moore? No, they are going to give him a $100M contract because he is our one and only option.

So how are you going to hold Staff accountable with a fat contract already in hand and no viable alternative option?

January 6th, 2014, 4:34 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

So Pablo, what you're saying is that you are ready to say that the Lions selecting Stafford was a monumental mistake? And that they compounded that mistake when they extended him this past off-season? Are you ready to say that his issues are not fixable, and at 25 years old he is not salvageable?

When the Packers Aaron Rodgers, he was considered an extremely great value pick there, after SF had hedged back and forth about whether they would take Alex Smith or Rodgers first overall. Also, at that time the Packers had no real solid backup to Brett Favre and ol' number 4 was up there in age.

The Packers situation was COMPLETELY different than what is facing the Lions. By picking a QB at number 10 overall, the Lions would basically be making a public statement that they are throwing in the towel on Matt Stafford, and they would take a bath in trying to unload him and his contract.

Are you ready to call it quits on a 25 year old QB who just threw for over 5k yards a year ago? If so, then selecting a QB is the move to make. At the same time, they would HAVE to re-sign Shaun Hill AND unload Stafford.

I'm sure one of the teams looking for a QB would be happy to trade for Stafford, even with his contract. Question is, what would they give? Were I a GM on another team, there's no way I give a first rounder for Stafford and his deal. The Lions would be lucky to get a conditional third rounder, IMHO. If a QB needy team like the Lions have given up on him, then why not either give a lowball offer, or just wait until they eventually release him?

January 6th, 2014, 5:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next