View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 21st, 2014, 11:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Group unveils Satan statue design for Oklahoma State Capital 
RIP Killer

Post Group unveils Satan statue design for Oklahoma State Capital
I'm curious, with all the Christian symbolism we are bombarded by daily how Christians feel about this one Satanic Statue proposal?

Quote:
Group unveils Satan statue design for Oklahoma

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — A satanic group unveiled designs Monday for a 7-foot-tall statue of Satan it wants to put at the Oklahoma state Capitol, where a Ten Commandments monument was placed in 2012.

The New York-based Satanic Temple formally submitted its application to a panel that oversees the Capitol grounds, including an artist's rendering that depicts Satan as Baphomet, a goat-headed figure with horns, wings and a long beard that's often used as a symbol of the occult. In the rendering, Satan is sitting in a pentagram-adorned throne with smiling children next to him.

"The monument has been designed to reflect the views of Satanists in Oklahoma City and beyond," temple spokesman Lucien Greaves said in a statement. "The statue will also have a functional purpose as a chair where people of all ages may sit on the lap of Satan for inspiration and contemplation."

The Satanic Temple maintains that the Oklahoma Legislature's decision to authorize a privately funded Ten Commandments monument at the Capitol opened the door for its statue. The Ten Commandments monument was placed on the north steps of the building in 2012, and the Oklahoma chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union has sued to have it removed.

Similar requests for monuments have been made by a Hindu leader in Nevada, an animal rights group and the satirical Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

In response, the Oklahoma Capitol Preservation Commission recently placed a moratorium on considering any new requests.

"Anybody can still make their request, but we'll hold off on considering them until the lawsuit is adjudicated," commission Chairman Trait Thompson said.

The push by the Satanic Temple has rankled elected leaders in this conservative state known as the buckle of the Bible Belt, who say such a proposal would never be approved by the commission.

"I think you've got to remember where you are. This is Oklahoma, the middle of the heartland," said Rep. Don Armes, R-Faxon. "I think we need to be tolerant of people who think different than us, but this is Oklahoma, and that's not going to fly here."

While Greaves acknowledges the Satanic Temple's effort is in part to highlight what it says is hypocrisy of state leaders in Oklahoma, he says the group is serious about having a monument placed there.

The group already has raised nearly half of the $20,000 it says it needs to build the monument.

"We plan on moving forward one way or another," Greaves said.

Another Oklahoma legislator, Rep. Earl Sears, called the group's effort "an insult to the good people of the state."

"I do not see Satanism as a religion, and they have no place at the state Capitol," said Sears, R-Bartlesville.

On its website, the Satanic Temple explains that it "seeks to separate Religion from Superstition by acknowledging religious belief as a metaphorical framework with which we construct a narrative context for our goals and works.

"Satan stands as the ultimate icon for the selfless revolt against tyranny, free & rational inquiry, and the responsible pursuit of happiness," the website says.

January 7th, 2014, 2:55 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Group unveils Satan statue design for Oklahoma State Cap
How do you think we feel about it? Just another sign of the times.

January 7th, 2014, 2:59 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Thinking about donating.

January 7th, 2014, 3:31 pm
Heisman Winner

Doesn't bother me at all, everyone is entitled to their beliefs. I just hope it's being done for their beliefs and not simply to be contrary to others beliefs for the sake of being contrary.

January 7th, 2014, 3:43 pm
RIP Killer

aManNamedSuh wrote:
Doesn't bother me at all, everyone is entitled to their beliefs. I just hope it's being done for their beliefs and not simply to be contrary to others beliefs for the sake of being contrary.

That is exactly what is happening. This group is doing this to make a point, not to push their belief system.

"Greaves acknowledges the Satanic Temple's effort is in part to highlight what it says is hypocrisy of state leaders"

If it wasn't for the Ten Commandments monument being erected there, this wouldn't even be proposed from what I can tell.

January 7th, 2014, 3:58 pm
Profile WWW

Yes, Satanism -- at least as how Anton Lavey founded it -- isn't a serious religion. It was like the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster before its time. He picked Satan as a symbol simply to mock Christianity.

On a similar note, I always wanted to do this:

'Pastafarian' wins right to wear sieve on his head in driving licence photo

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... nster.html

January 7th, 2014, 4:11 pm
Heisman Winner

I still don't have a problem with it, but it seems rather silly to make a stand against another group who really don't have an affect on their everyday life (or their life at all really).

January 7th, 2014, 7:02 pm
QB Coach

I suppose my perspective is being anxiously awaited, or maybe not, either way here it is.

I'm saddened! This group has the freedom and the right to place their statue up, and I'm curious as to see what kind of graffiti it will get in the end, if any. But more importantly, I can already tell you that MANY Christians will be up in arms and fighting mad over this. More importantly, the statue represents "man's" interpretation of satan, just as most artwork and pictures represent Jesus as a good looking, white man, with long flowing hair. Both are false!

I'm not scared, nor threatened by it, and I'm sorry that Oklahoma City will be tarnished with such an obvious statue, but the same could be said by the other side for most churches, so it evens out in the wash. But I'm sure the prudish Christians are broiling at the announcement. I wonder if they'd be willing to love their enemy, and turn the other cheek by praying for the group, and the people who will be leading this effort?

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

January 7th, 2014, 10:42 pm
1st Round Pick

aManNamedSuh wrote:
I still don't have a problem with it, but it seems rather silly to make a stand against another group who really don't have an affect on their everyday life (or their life at all really).

The Oklahoma legislature does have an affect on their everyday life.

They are making the point that there are other religions and that the State Legislature shouldn't prefer one over others (seperation of church and state and all that). That's more than just being contrary.

Putting a statue like this outside a church would be being contrary, rude and unpleasant. This seems to be a valid way to make a point to me.

January 8th, 2014, 8:42 am
Player of the Year - Offense

The legislature makes laws. The 10 commandments are a set of laws... that are still believed by many Christians, and followed strictly by Orthodox Jews.

The statue has no relevance to laws at all, so it'll never get approved.

January 8th, 2014, 1:33 pm

Well then, let's put up a statue dedicated to Sharia law. Why not?

The 10 commandments has no bearing on US law whatsoever. It's a terrible list, a testament to the bronze-age thinking of the people who followed it.

January 8th, 2014, 1:42 pm
Heisman Winner

Blueskies wrote:
Well then, let's put up a statue dedicated to Sharia law. Why not?

The 10 commandments has no bearing on US law whatsoever. It's a terrible list, a testament to the bronze-age thinking of the people who followed it.

Yeah but who cares? I don't care if Satan or the 10 commandments are on show at the Capital, go for it just don't make me pay for it and make sure you uphold the laws on the books.

I still think it's silly to put something up just to be devil's advocate (no pun intended).

January 8th, 2014, 2:03 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Obviously, as an atheist, I have no problem with it. However, all religious symbols on public property should come with a caveat. If you build it, you maintain it. No taxpayer dollars should go toward erecting, building, or maintaining any religious symbol.

With that said, I am in support of maintaining certain religious symbols or words that have historical significance on capitol or court buildings. Let's not forsake history for personal indulgence. If we did that, the Declaration of Independence would be outlawed wherever it is displayed. Do you really want that to happen? There comes a point in time that exuberance goes too far.

Who are these idiots who are offended by every religious display that they see? They don't bother or offend me at all. It's called tolerance. I'd appreciate it if liberals would actually practice it on occasion.

January 8th, 2014, 4:56 pm
QB Coach

However, I have to wonder if a Christian complains and goes to the ACLU complaining of physical symptoms of illness caused by the sight of such a statue, will they support them, and file on their behalf in getting said statue removed. The Atheists have been stating the very same thing in cases about the Cross Beam Cross found at WTC on 9/11. According to the ACLJ, the Atheists filed a claim that the cross was causing them great distress and physical symptoms of illness and I wondered if the reverse could be true of this statue.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

January 8th, 2014, 6:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]