View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 30th, 2014, 1:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Borges fired, who s next OCoordinator? 
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post Borges fired, who s next OCoordinator?
Personally, I have no idea and havent heard anything about potential candidates

January 8th, 2014, 10:23 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Post Re: Borges fired, who s next OCoordinator?
Michigan hires Alabama's Doug Nussmeier as offensive coordinator

http://www.freep.com/article/20140108/S ... ierleaving

Seems like a big hire, though you have to wonder how much it was him, and how much it was just Saban getting the most talented athletes in the country. We'll have to see.

I'm starting to get a bit more hopeful. I figured they were going to retain Borges since they waited quite a while to fire him.

January 8th, 2014, 11:50 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Even if it was the talent Saban was pulling in. As we get better, we will also get better talent. And this guy, coming from Alabama, should help us better recruit in the south east.

January 9th, 2014, 12:26 pm

Even though it seems like Nussmeier was going to get replaced at Alabama anyway, I can't think of a better hire they could've made. Pro-style, BCS championship winner, etc.

What excites me the most, though, is that was hired from his resume -- not from his stupid ties to Michigan. If they had hired Cam Cameron I would've had a brain aneurism.

January 9th, 2014, 12:31 pm
Heisman Winner

You guys are learning, get MSU former coaches and you'll finally get better. Next year after you fire Hoke you'll be trying to get Dantonio at this rate.

January 9th, 2014, 12:47 pm
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
Even if it was the talent Saban was pulling in. As we get better, we will also get better talent. And this guy, coming from Alabama, should help us better recruit in the south east.

But UofM has a top ranked recruiting class year after year? What I don't understand is why make a lateral move like this from a top program like Alabama to a program like Michigan that seems lost? Guess piles of $ must be involved.

At Alabama, you saw minimal improvement from the offense over his two years from the prior couple of years - but I'd say that has more to do with the maturation of AJ McCarron than anything else.

I never felt like they established a strong running game under him and if you watched the bowl game the vaunted Alabama line began to break down in their protection and you saw what happened - McCarron suddenly struggled and threw a couple of picks. I'd bet that the folks in Alabama are looking to upgrade the OC spot this year and I think Saban wanted him out (he was already sayin he wanted his offense to play much faster at the start of the season). He didn't use O.J. Howard to his fullest IMO who will be in the NFL soon. Honestly, with that pro OL, NFL ready WRs and a Nat'l champ QB like AJ, I would have to say that Nussmeier's offense underachieved despite some pretty gaudy numbers put up against some weak teams and defenses in the SEC.

Michigan needs to find an identity on offense and under Nuss it seemed like Alabama lost most of it's offensive identity. Remember before him how they could run over anybody with the likes of Mark Ingram and Trent Richardson? That was Michigan football, not what we have seen the past 2 years (5-to-7 step drops waiting for deep WR routes to develop)... My gut tells me that UofM fans are going to hate his play calling but of course I hope I'm wrong and he excels at Michigan every week except when they play State!

All that said, I think he works pretty well with QBs and that is a good start. I felt like he did a nice job with Smoker and Stanton in East Lansing, so hopefully that carries over. He's also pretty young so he still has lots of growing to do. Not sure about recruiting kids out of SEC country to play up in cold Michigan - good luck with that.

January 9th, 2014, 3:37 pm
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Pablo wrote:
BillySims wrote:

But UofM has a top ranked recruiting class year after year? What I don't understand is why make a lateral move like this from a top program like Alabama to a program like Michigan that seems lost? Guess piles of $ must be involved.

At Alabama, you saw minimal improvement from the offense over his two years from the prior couple of years - but I'd say that has more to do with the maturation of AJ McCarron than anything else.

I never felt like they established a strong running game under him and if you watched the bowl game the vaunted Alabama line began to break down in their protection and you saw what happened - McCarron suddenly struggled and threw a couple of picks. I'd bet that the folks in Alabama are looking to upgrade the OC spot this year and I think Saban wanted him out (he was already sayin he wanted his offense to play much faster at the start of the season). He didn't use O.J. Howard to his fullest IMO who will be in the NFL soon. Honestly, with that pro OL, NFL ready WRs and a Nat'l champ QB like AJ, I would have to say that Nussmeier's offense underachieved despite some pretty gaudy numbers put up against some weak teams and defenses in the SEC.

Michigan needs to find an identity on offense and under Nuss it seemed like Alabama lost most of it's offensive identity. Remember before him how they could run over anybody with the likes of Mark Ingram and Trent Richardson? That was Michigan football, not what we have seen the past 2 years (5-to-7 step drops waiting for deep WR routes to develop)... My gut tells me that UofM fans are going to hate his play calling but of course I hope I'm wrong and he excels at Michigan every week except when they play State!

All that said, I think he works pretty well with QBs and that is a good start. I felt like he did a nice job with Smoker and Stanton in East Lansing, so hopefully that carries over. He's also pretty young so he still has lots of growing to do. Not sure about recruiting kids out of SEC country to play up in cold Michigan - good luck with that.

blah, blah, blah - if they had a kicker worth anything they d be the natl champs. nussmeir did fine down there. they ran the ball pretty darn well w eddie lacy last season and there running game this season was nothing to scoff at either. not every RB can be a 1sr rd NFL talent

January 10th, 2014, 8:31 am

Getting Nussmeier was a good hire.

Yeah, he was probably going to get replaced by Kiffin, and yeah you can nitpick about his play calling. But at the end of the day, how could you have possibly done better? Chip Kelly? Nussmeier was a head coaching candidate. He's young, he has a great track-record with QBs. He comes from the most dominant program in CFB right now.

We'll have to see how it works out. I still think Brady will get sacked in two years, along with David Brandon, and we'll be doing yet another rebuild in 2016, but I can't fault Michigan at all for hiring this guy.

January 10th, 2014, 9:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]