View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 1st, 2014, 3:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Free Agent Possibilities 
Pop Warner Vet

Post Re: Free Agent Possibilities
DJ-B wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:
This is a good FA season for the C position if they hit the FA market. Some of the bigger names are Mack, Cook, Wendell, and Goodwin.

Mack could be a prime opportunity here. Id Prefer Drafting "the next Alex Mack" but if we are a "2-3 yr window" team based on the current roster, signing Vet makes more sense since C's arent as plug and play as guard are (QB Exchange/Line Calls/Etc). Pretty sure Cleveland wont franchise Mack since OL shares the same Pricepoint and top 5 LTs get paid very Highly, so Mack has some Leverage and if the FO over there isnt willing to pay it, he could be worth a decent sized OC Contract for 4-5 years.

Brian Stork, Rimington award winner from Florida State, projected to go in the 4th round (possibly higher now) is a solid C and under a year of Raiola tutelage (who will come back for reduced paycheck and just had the best year of his career) could be a long term solution.

As far as Jared Allen, he also said he would come to Detroit if the money is right but why give up on Jason Jones? He'll be back next season and I think he will have a phenomenal year, plus he can play DT as well as end which helps our depth.

January 8th, 2014, 12:36 pm
RIP Killer

chilledmonkeybrains wrote:
DJ-B wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:
This is a good FA season for the C position if they hit the FA market. Some of the bigger names are Mack, Cook, Wendell, and Goodwin.

Mack could be a prime opportunity here. Id Prefer Drafting "the next Alex Mack" but if we are a "2-3 yr window" team based on the current roster, signing Vet makes more sense since C's arent as plug and play as guard are (QB Exchange/Line Calls/Etc). Pretty sure Cleveland wont franchise Mack since OL shares the same Pricepoint and top 5 LTs get paid very Highly, so Mack has some Leverage and if the FO over there isnt willing to pay it, he could be worth a decent sized OC Contract for 4-5 years.

Brian Stork, Rimington award winner from Florida State, projected to go in the 4th round (possibly higher now) is a solid C and under a year of Raiola tutelage (who will come back for reduced paycheck and just had the best year of his career) could be a long term solution.

As far as Jared Allen, he also said he would come to Detroit if the money is right but why give up on Jason Jones? He'll be back next season and I think he will have a phenomenal year, plus he can play DT as well as end which helps our depth.

First off, Stork will probably go higher than the fourth round. I've seen some mocks having him go as high as the mid-second round. Centers usually rise in value as the draft gets nearer, because they are the afterthought of draft analysts, but not of the teams.

That said, Travis Swanson is the top rated center available, not Stork. Some feel Swanson could be a late first round pick for a team in need at the position. With Alex Mack facing free agency and demanding a big pay day, Cleveland may forego re-inking him and use their pick from Indy in the late first round to secure Swanson. Another player at center is Weston Richburg, who I've heard scouts are really high on, despite his playing for Colorado State.

In regards to Jared Allen, I want no part of him. I think his best days are behind him and he is going to be looking for a last big pay day. I'd rather the Lions spend that money on a wide receiver like Eric Decker or a free agent corner than on a pass rusher who is past his prime.

January 8th, 2014, 1:10 pm
QB Coach

Mentioned this in another thread but, the Lions are currently over even the highest projections of the cap for next year. We'll be right under it if we carry over our remaining almost $2M from this season. We'll need Nate, Delmas and Suh to create some space if we want to add anyone. We'll need about $6.5M to sign rookies. I don't think we'll be big players in FA but if we are, we're going to have to address secondary again. If we outright cut Delmas we need a starting S and we have to add another starting corner. Slay will step up but Houston has to rebound. We can't cut him this season or it will cost us $$ so he'll be here for another year.

My big target would be Alterraun Verner. Dude just turned 25 and has been solid all 4 years in the league. The Titans tried to replace him this year because he didn't fit the scheme, but his talent won out. I'd take Gilbert if he falls to the second but he won't, I'm not overly impressed with the other corners that are top 2 round talent.

Don't spend on an offensive lineman. A third round center could step right in if we land the right guy. And if we keep a young line, they'll grow together instead of having to replace 1 part after 2 years or so.

I'll keep coming back to this point we're 4 starters (and the right coach)away from a championship team. We need a #1 corner, a young quality center, a #2 WR and an OLB who can pass rush. (add safety if we replace Delmas but him and Quinn can hold it down with a better CB group.) Draft Watkins, a center in round 3, sign Verner or draft a CB in round 2 and we're looking pretty good.

January 8th, 2014, 7:15 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Mentioned this in another thread but, the Lions are currently over even the highest projections of the cap for next year. We'll be right under it if we carry over our remaining almost $2M from this season. We'll need Nate, Delmas and Suh to create some space if we want to add anyone. We'll need about $6.5M to sign rookies. I don't think we'll be big players in FA but if we are, we're going to have to address secondary again. If we outright cut Delmas we need a starting S and we have to add another starting corner. Slay will step up but Houston has to rebound. We can't cut him this season or it will cost us $$ so he'll be here for another year.

My big target would be Alterraun Verner. Dude just turned 25 and has been solid all 4 years in the league. The Titans tried to replace him this year because he didn't fit the scheme, but his talent won out. I'd take Gilbert if he falls to the second but he won't, I'm not overly impressed with the other corners that are top 2 round talent.

Don't spend on an offensive lineman. A third round center could step right in if we land the right guy. And if we keep a young line, they'll grow together instead of having to replace 1 part after 2 years or so.

I'll keep coming back to this point we're 4 starters (and the right coach)away from a championship team. We need a #1 corner, a young quality center, a #2 WR and an OLB who can pass rush. (add safety if we replace Delmas but him and Quinn can hold it down with a better CB group.) Draft Watkins, a center in round 3, sign Verner or draft a CB in round 2 and we're looking pretty good.

IMO Nate is gone. Delmas is renegotiated or gone (too much of a "Schwartz guy"). Suh will most likely extend and seriously lighten his cap hit.

I even wonder if Tulloch might be gone...

January 8th, 2014, 9:25 pm
QB Coach

thelomasbrowns wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:

IMO Nate is gone. Delmas is renegotiated or gone (too much of a "Schwartz guy"). Suh will most likely extend and seriously lighten his cap hit.

I even wonder if Tulloch might be gone...

I agree about Delmas and Suh. I could see Nate taking a pay cut to stay. He's said he loved Detroit and would like to stay, so we'll see.

As for Tulloch, I think people are way too down on him. He had a very good year. At one point I know he was one of the top rated MLB in the league. I think his play tapered off a bit as the season went along, but overall he played really well. I think the Lions should keep him around, as long as the price isn't too high.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

January 9th, 2014, 5:03 am

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
As for Tulloch, I think people are way too down on him. He had a very good year. At one point I know he was one of the top rated MLB in the league. I think his play tapered off a bit as the season went along, but overall he played really well. I think the Lions should keep him around, as long as the price isn't too high.

I don't have a problem with Tulloch--I think he's a good player. BUT he does have a pretty high salary, was a Schwartz guy, and might not fit a scheme where the MLB has to be more versatile.

January 9th, 2014, 10:34 am
RIP Killer

With Tulloch, I agree that the incoming DC would have to make a determination on him. If they keep him, the Lions could convert some of his salary into a signing bonus to reduce his cap number.

Suh will redo his deal and probably lower his cap number significantly so as to give the Lions probably an extra $5-6M in money.

Delmas will have to significantly reduce his cap number to stay. I don't see the team keeping him and paying $6M for him.

With Nate, the Lions would be fools to let him go without finding out exactly what they can do with him. The Lions have ZERO depth at WR. Keeping Nate means keeping the locker room happy as well as maintaining some veteran presence and leadership at the position. The Lions would be better off letting Pettigrew walk and releasing Broyles.

January 9th, 2014, 12:51 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

m2karateman wrote:
With Tulloch, I agree that the incoming DC would have to make a determination on him. If they keep him, the Lions could convert some of his salary into a signing bonus to reduce his cap number.

Suh will redo his deal and probably lower his cap number significantly so as to give the Lions probably an extra $5-6M in money.

Delmas will have to significantly reduce his cap number to stay. I don't see the team keeping him and paying $6M for him.

With Nate, the Lions would be fools to let him go without finding out exactly what they can do with him. The Lions have ZERO depth at WR. Keeping Nate means keeping the locker room happy as well as maintaining some veteran presence and leadership at the position. The Lions would be better off letting Pettigrew walk and releasing Broyles.

so let go of tulloch but keep nate? gotta tell you, makes a lot of sense. it s always good to have an in with the future of NFL network commentators and nobody really needs an mlb that plays a high level and doenst get injured. then release broyles in a "cost cutting" move, gotta escape those rookie contracts. makes a lot of sense. i like where you are going with this.

January 9th, 2014, 7:04 pm
RIP Killer

The Legend wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

so let go of tulloch but keep nate? gotta tell you, makes a lot of sense. it s always good to have an in with the future of NFL network commentators and nobody really needs an mlb that plays a high level and doenst get injured. then release broyles in a "cost cutting" move, gotta escape those rookie contracts. makes a lot of sense. i like where you are going with this.

I never said they should let go of Tulloch. I said the incoming staff needs to make a determination on him. He's due $3.75M this season. Is he worth that? Is that a salary that needs to be reworked to open cap space? Do the Lions feel Travis Lewis is ready to take over in the middle? Or will they draft a replacement? I never said get rid of Tulloch.

With Nate, it's about who is there behind him? WHO?! Durham? Ogletree? Broyles? So we have crap for our depth, a slot receiver made of crystal that can't be relied on, and your solution is to ship the veteran receiver who is willing to take a pay cut? Brilliant.

You might as well begin ordering Calvins casket, because without a solid second receiver opposing defenses are going to beat on him worse than they have the past two seasons, which have led to his littany of injuries.

January 10th, 2014, 12:24 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

I never said they should let go of Tulloch. I said the incoming staff needs to make a determination on him. He's due $3.75M this season. Is he worth that? Is that a salary that needs to be reworked to open cap space? Do the Lions feel Travis Lewis is ready to take over in the middle? Or will they draft a replacement? I never said get rid of Tulloch.

With Nate, it's about who is there behind him? WHO?! Durham? Ogletree? Broyles? So we have crap for our depth, a slot receiver made of crystal that can't be relied on, and your solution is to ship the veteran receiver who is willing to take a pay cut? Brilliant.

You might as well begin ordering Calvins casket, because without a solid second receiver opposing defenses are going to beat on him worse than they have the past two seasons, which have led to his littany of injuries.

Think they should keep Nate, veteran experience is handy to have and felt he played well after returning from injury. Think the Lions should draft 2 recievers this year, one early, one mid-rounds. We need quality depth to insure against injury. If the Lions hire Whisenhunt they could be running the ball alot more.

January 10th, 2014, 7:43 pm
Hall of Fame Player

m2karateman wrote:
chilledmonkeybrains wrote:
DJ-B wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:

First off, Stork will probably go higher than the fourth round. I've seen some mocks having him go as high as the mid-second round. Centers usually rise in value as the draft gets nearer, because they are the afterthought of draft analysts, but not of the teams.

That said, Travis Swanson is the top rated center available, not Stork. Some feel Swanson could be a late first round pick for a team in need at the position. With Alex Mack facing free agency and demanding a big pay day, Cleveland may forego re-inking him and use their pick from Indy in the late first round to secure Swanson. Another player at center is Weston Richburg, who I've heard scouts are really high on, despite his playing for Colorado State.

In regards to Jared Allen, I want no part of him. I think his best days are behind him and he is going to be looking for a last big pay day. I'd rather the Lions spend that money on a wide receiver like Eric Decker or a free agent corner than on a pass rusher who is past his prime.

Jared Allen, 10.5 sacks this year. I think he has 3 years left of good play.

January 10th, 2014, 10:17 pm
QB Coach

Just read a few articles over at bleacher report about the Lions roster. We can cut Montell Owens and save about $1.5M and cut Leroy Harris and save almost $2M. That right there would get us under the cap.

January 11th, 2014, 2:27 am
All State

I think Tullouch is worth keeping around and it would be a mistake to cut him.

I would resign Nate on a cheap contract because as it's been said, what better options do they have behind him? He's good leadership and although he is certainly showing his age he's better then the rest of what they have on the roster that isn't named Calvin.

I would let Pettigrew walk. He had shown flashes of finally "getting it" this year but then he turned right around and made a classic drop in a critical situation. He's not good enough for what he's probably going to want for pay. The next OC may not utilize TEs as much anyway. I don't think Fauria is the answer, but Pettigrew isn't worth what he will probably want.

As much as I don't like Raiola they need him. Sign him for 2 more years but it is imperative that they sign a C to develop in the first 4 rounds.

Delmas can go. He'll probably never be consistently healthy enough anyway. We don't need a team cheerleader that would rather make a hit then a tackle.

January 11th, 2014, 2:43 am

Financially I don't think it's worth it to cut Tulloch at this point, I believe it is either a wash or they take a hit. With at said I wasn't excited when they gave him his new contract. He was okay but I think they should have eloped other options before settling for okay play from the MLB position. I can't see there being a huge demand for Nate so he will likely take the paycut like Raiola did to stay in Detroit. Delmas' S spot needs to be upgraded plus I can't see him taking a paycut, he knows his money making days are dwindling away. Pettigrew is all but gone unless they slap some form of tender on him hoping to get something in return.

January 11th, 2014, 9:47 am

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Just read a few articles over at bleacher report about the Lions roster. We can cut Montell Owens and save about $1.5M and cut Leroy Harris and save almost $2M. That right there would get us under the cap.

I think Owens was them throwing a bone to Bonamego. If he stays, they might keep him. Harris is as good as gone. Way too much to be inactive for 15 games.

January 11th, 2014, 12:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next