View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 25th, 2014, 2:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Rate the draft: 2011 
Pro Bowl Player

Post Rate the draft: 2011
As I've done before, I'll do again. It's been the requisite three years -- good enough time to accurately gauge a draft class. What do you guys give this draft?

Picks:
Round 1, Pick 13: Nick Fairely
My grade: A
Solid contributor, makes some great plays. Not sure how great he'd be without Suh, but together, the combination has worked well, particularly this past season.

Round 2, Pick 12: Titus Young
My grade: D-
Performed well in his first season, a key reason why the Lions made the playoffs in 2011. That's why I can't give this a straight F, but we all know how it turned out.

Round 2, Pick 25: Mikel Leshoure
My grade: F
Has he done anything of substance for the Lions? Certainly not worth a second round pick.

Round 5, Pick 26: Doug Hogue
My grade: D
Never did anything for the Lions, but he was only a fifth rounder. Not with the team anymore.

Round 7, Pick 6: Johnny Culbreath
Didn't do anything for the Lions, which is OK for a player taken in the seventh round, but the Lions cut him after just one year following his arrest. The bad publicity he generated, giving the Lions a more scumbag image, gives this pick the lowest grade.

Overall, I would say the 2011 draft was nothing short of horrible -- Mayhew's worst draft ever.

January 13th, 2014, 11:20 am
RIP Killer

Post Re: Rate the draft: 2011
Don't think I'd give the Nick pick an A, don't have issues with the others.

There were a couple of DL drafted around Nick, let's take a look:

11. DE JJ Watt, Texans
12. QB Christian Ponder, Vikings
13. DT Nick Fairley, Lions
14. DE Robert Quinn, Rams
15. C Mike Pouncy, Dolphins
16. DE Ryan Kerrigan, Redskins

All have made the pro bowl except Ponder and Fairley to this point

January 13th, 2014, 11:53 am
Profile WWW
Team MVP

I remember when our pick was up and Fairley was on the board. I remember saying Quinn might be the better choice given his position and our need. Now, Fairley has turned into a pretty solid player, but between him and Quinn, I think I would have rather had Quinn. DT's can be had later, not always the same with DEs.

The rest of the draft sucked.

I never once saw the hype with LeShoure. I remember he was being targeted heavily by Detroit and I could never understand why. Never thought he was bad, but couldnt exactly understand what was so phenomenal about him to spend a 2nd round pick on him.

Titus Young. Wanted Torrey. Didnt understand that pick AT ALL.

Never even heard of the other guys in that draft so I automatically scratched my head.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 13th, 2014, 1:39 pm
RIP Killer

Fairley I give an A- to. The rest of that draft gets an F. You don't give anything but an F to second round busts, and late rounders who either don't contribute on special teams for even one season, or get busted for weed. Seriously...you give a passing grade to Titus Young, but a failing grade to a running back who is still in the league? A passing grade to a fifth rounder who never did squat? Fifth round players can contribute. There are several fifth and sixth round players from that draft that play vital roles on their respective teams, as their are from every draft. While late round talent may not be expected to make a difference or even make the team, you can't give a passing grade to a player from any round who never contributes on any level.

January 13th, 2014, 11:03 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Picks:
Round 1, Pick 13: Nick Fairely
My grade: C
I feel Fairly while very talented has struggled with injuries and discipline problems - I also feel this team was set with Suh and Sammie Lee Hill at DT. I wanted the Lions to take the DE Robert Quinn - who has produced more then Fairly at this point. Avril-Hill-Suh-Quinn now that would have been a nice DL.

Round 2, Pick 12: Titus Young
This guy had discipline problems in college and I believe injury issues also - there are always so many wideouts available on draft day why the Lions reached for him I'll never know.

Round 2, Pick 25: Mikel Leshoure
Much like Young it doesn't look like the Lions did background checks on Leshoure if they did they would have known he was a pothead. He still might have been able to contribute but has never been the same since he blew out his achilles.

Round 5, Pick 26: Doug Hogue
Had limited experience playing linebacker drafted for physical ability - never developed.

Round 7, Pick 6: Johnny Culbreath
Another who gave the Lions a black eye in the offseason and contributed nothing during it.

Final grade: D-
This draft was failure because the Lions didn't do their diligence or ignored it and drafted nothing but guys with character issues and failed to fill needs. This draft was bad as any Millen draft.

January 18th, 2014, 11:45 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

It really was a mess, but if it's any consolation, the rest of the NFC North had disastrous drafts as well. This piece is already a bit out of date: LeShoure and to a lesser extent Chris Conte with the Bears are also now considered failed picks.

Quote:
Tuesday, May 14, 2013
Shield your eyes from the 2011 draft
By Kevin Seifert
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... 2011-draft

Gabe Carimi, Titus Young and Derek Sherrod are a few of the 2011 NFL draft picks who haven't quite panned out as planned for three NFC North teams.
A mere two years later, the 2011 draft is crumbling for most of the NFC North. At a time when it should be forming the nucleus of our respective teams, the class of '11 is instead causing some of our most gaping holes.

The futures of two first-round picks are in serious doubt, a second-round pick has already been waived amid a disastrous meltdown, and only eight of the 30 players selected appear to have a reasonable chance to start in 2013.

Mistakes, bad luck and injuries have all contributed to this disaster, which we will detail below.

Chicago Bears
Total picks: 5
Picks remaining with team: 4
2013 projected starters: 2
Catastrophe: Offensive lineman Gabe Carimi (Round 1, No. 29 overall)
On the fence: Defensive tackle Stephen Paea (2-53)
Potential gem: Safety Chris Conte (3-93)
Final analysis: Carimi suffered a season-ending knee injury in his second game as a rookie and didn't appear fully recovered last season. He was benched after 11 starts at right tackle and moved to guard as an emergency measure. New Bears coach Marc Trestman indicated last month that his staff views Carimi as a guard, and Carimi has been working out on his own in Arizona ever since. Neither Trestman nor general manager Phil Emery were with the team when Carimi was selected, so there is no reason to think he is guaranteed a roster spot because of his draft status. Paea started 14 games last season but has ceded any interior playmaking role to Henry Melton, whom the Bears franchised. Paea has 4.5 sacks and a total of 21 tackles in two seasons. You would hope for more from a second-round pick. Conte has been more than competent in 24 starts but has had trouble keeping his 6-foot-2 frame healthy. No matter how you look at it, the Bears didn't get a single impact player from this draft.

Detroit Lions
Total picks: 5
Picks remaining with team: 2
2013 projected starters: 1
Catastrophe: Receiver Titus Young (Round 2, No. 44 overall)
On the fence: Running back Mikel Leshoure (2-57)
Potential gem: Defensive tackle Nick Fairley (1-13)
Final analysis: Drafting Young is the biggest mistake general manager Martin Mayhew has made in his tenure. Young had a history of behavioral problems at Boise State and flamed out midway through his second season, at the cost of about $2.6 million in salary and bonuses -- and not to mention a continuing hole at receiver. Leshoure lost his rookie year to a torn Achilles tendon and was suspended for two games last season because of two drug-related arrests. When he did play, Leshoure was the least explosive running back in the NFL. He'll almost certainly cede playing time to newcomer Reggie Bush in 2013. Fairley demonstrated how dominant he could be during a limited stretch late last season, notching four sacks in five starts, but he needs to provide that kind of performance more consistently.

Green Bay Packers
Total picks: 10
Picks remaining with team: 6
2013 projected starters: 1
Catastrophe: Offensive lineman Derek Sherrod (Round 1, No. 32 overall)
On the fence: Running back Alex Green (3-96)
Potential gem: Receiver Randall Cobb (2-64)
Final analysis: The Packers hadn't found a position for Sherrod by the time he suffered a massive leg injury in Week 15 of his rookie season. Multiple fractures cost him the entire 2012 season and required additional surgery this spring. The Packers are hoping he can compete for their right tackle spot, but if he can't get back on the field 18 months after this injury, it will be fair to wonder if he ever will. Green tore his ACL midway through his rookie season and failed in an extended audition to be the Packers' No. 1 back last season. The drafting of Eddie Lacy and Johnathan Franklin suggests Green will need some good fortune to get anything close to that kind of opportunity again. A shoulder injury cost cornerback Davon House (4-131) a chance to win a starting job last summer, and he is now behind Tramon Williams, Sam Shields and Casey Hayward on the depth chart. Cobb, on the other hand, led the Packers with 80 receptions for 954 yards last season and is developing into one of the NFL's most electric receivers. The Lions' choice of Young over Cobb will go down as one of the all-time draft gaffes in this division or elsewhere.

Minnesota Vikings
Total picks: 10
Picks remaining with team: 9
2013 projected starters: 4
Potential catastrophe: Quarterback Christian Ponder (Round 1, No. 12 overall)
On the fence: Safety Mistral Raymond (6-170)
Potential gem: Tight end Kyle Rudolph (2-43)
Final analysis: Ponder had a poor rookie year and was terribly inconsistent in his second season until pulling it together for a sharp four-game stretch to end it. He hasn't fallen to the level of Carimi, Sherrod or Young, but 2013 is still a make-or-break year for him. If Ponder falls short and needs to be replaced, the Vikings will have wasted three years developing their team around him. That qualifies as an unmitigated catastrophe. Although there are nine players remaining on the roster from this draft, Raymond and guard Brandon Fusco are the only other likely starters/contributors. Raymond seems to have the interest of coaches even after an injury-shortened season. Rudolph caught half of the Vikings' total touchdown passes last season (nine of 18) and was named MVP of the Pro Bowl. Ponder's development could make Rudolph into a dominant threat.

January 19th, 2014, 11:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]