View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 5:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Lions Hire Jim Caldwell as HC 
Rookie Player of the Year

Post Lions Hire Jim Caldwell as HC

January 14th, 2014, 1:26 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Post Jim Caldwell Lions new HC
Per Adam Schefter.

January 14th, 2014, 1:26 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Lions Hire Jim Caldwell as HC
Let me quote my earlier post from another thread:

Pablo wrote:
I was OK, not thrilled, with Wisenhunt. Hummm, going with Jake Locker over Stafford at the QB spot is kind of telling.

As for the new Lions leading candidate. Yeah, lets take an offensive guru who couldn't even muster a single TD against the Lions defense in December, despite getting 3 gift INTs from Staff. Let's take the guy in charge of the 29th ranked offense in the league and you can't blame it on the QB going down for the season because that didn't happen (the Lions ranked 23 spots higher if you care). OK, they were a little better in scoring offense (25th LOL).

As for discipline, his offense drew the 6th most penalties (112) in the league (yes, even a couple of more than the undisciplined Lions). Does Caldwell really come across as a guy who can change a culture?

In a pretty telling stat I like on offense, total yards per play, he was in charge of the team that had the lowest average (32nd) in the league (the Lions ranked 8th).

THAT'S OUR GUY! Start the plane engine again boys, we might actually take off today unless you really want to go with another DC from Tenn to try to take our franchise QBs game to a new level (hey, at least his defense ranked middle of the pack even if Penn State didn't think you were good enough).

Thanks once again Ford family, celebrating 50 years of ineptitude!!!

January 14th, 2014, 1:30 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

I think this about sums it up:

January 14th, 2014, 1:32 pm
NFL Veteran

Well look on the bright side everyone. When this turns into a disaster we'll all get to see a new FO and coach. I don't see them giving Caldwell a very long leash since this whole coaching search was to find a guy that can win without a rebuild.

January 14th, 2014, 1:33 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

January 14th, 2014, 1:35 pm
Modmin Dude

rao wrote:
Well look on the bright side everyone. When this turns into a disaster we'll all get to see a new FO and coach. I don't see them giving Caldwell a very long leash since this whole coaching search was to find a guy that can win without a rebuild.
Problem with that is Lewand & Fords will still be around to do the hiring.

January 14th, 2014, 1:39 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

January 14th, 2014, 1:39 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Hmmm. Shades of the Wayne Fontes firing all over again.

January 14th, 2014, 1:46 pm
RIP Killer

I'll reserve judgement and see who he brings in as his coordinators. I can recall a time when we all wanted the Lions to bring in a big name, proven coach with a Super Bowl pedigree, and it turned into the Mariucci debacle. Blame Millen for the players he brought in, but I'll blame Mooch for the other BS that happened in that time as well. Mooch was more interested in the press conferences than in the coaching.

This hiring doesn't thrill me, not one bit. But the idea that Gruden, Cowher or Dungy coming in will somehow magically change everything for the better is a bit fairytalesque as well.

I agree that if Caldwell doesn't get this team to the playoffs in the next couple seasons, he should be fired along with the bulk of the front office. Then someone should take the Fords to the back of the stadium and euthanize them afterward.

January 14th, 2014, 1:56 pm
Varsity Captain

How very bland.... I feel bad for you guys. I was really hoping Quinn would be the guy.

January 14th, 2014, 2:05 pm
Heisman Winner

m2karateman wrote:
I'll reserve judgement and see who he brings in as his coordinators. I can recall a time when we all wanted the Lions to bring in a big name, proven coach with a Super Bowl pedigree, and it turned into the Mariucci debacle. Blame Millen for the players he brought in, but I'll blame Mooch for the other BS that happened in that time as well. Mooch was more interested in the press conferences than in the coaching.

This hiring doesn't thrill me, not one bit. But the idea that Gruden, Cowher or Dungy coming in will somehow magically change everything for the better is a bit fairytalesque as well.

I agree that if Caldwell doesn't get this team to the playoffs in the next couple seasons, he should be fired along with the bulk of the front office. Then someone should take the Fords to the back of the stadium and euthanize them afterward.

Yep. This.

Crying over spilled milk of other coaches that may have had better media buzz is silly. Most of these guys will be fired in 4 years as it stands. Let's see what the other guy brings to the table here.

On a humorous note. I saw the first fire Caldwell comment on mlive a few minutes ago

January 14th, 2014, 2:10 pm
Heisman Winner

I wasn't impressed with him in Indy nor was I impressed with his offense in Baltimore even with the Super Bowl run. I felt the stars aligned for that team and Flacco went off like he probably never will again.

Having said that, it's a new direction and at least it's not Schwartz. I will give him the benefit of the doubt as a coach. I still don't have faith in the management.

January 14th, 2014, 2:11 pm
3rd Round Selection

I think I might have preferred another year of Schwartz rather than this.

January 14th, 2014, 2:12 pm
NFL Veteran

You would think WCF would be trying a little harder to win. The guy will be like 89 this year, euthanasia may not even be an option in 2 years.

January 14th, 2014, 2:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next