View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 1st, 2014, 5:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Free Agent Possibilities 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Free Agent Possibilities
sweetd20 wrote:
Financially I don't think it's worth it to cut Tulloch at this point, I believe it is either a wash or they take a hit. With at said I wasn't excited when they gave him his new contract. He was okay but I think they should have eloped other options before settling for okay play from the MLB position. I can't see there being a huge demand for Nate so he will likely take the paycut like Raiola did to stay in Detroit. Delmas' S spot needs to be upgraded plus I can't see him taking a paycut, he knows his money making days are dwindling away. Pettigrew is all but gone unless they slap some form of tender on him hoping to get something in return.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Pett is an UFA, so their only option is to franchise him. 2013 for that was around 6 mil, which is way too much for him. I wouldn't mind them signing him to a reasonable extension--the question is whether or not Staff still trusts him. 2012 really shook his confidence in him--he used to be his favorite target.

January 11th, 2014, 12:07 pm
RIP Killer

thelomasbrowns wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:
Financially I don't think it's worth it to cut Tulloch at this point, I believe it is either a wash or they take a hit. With at said I wasn't excited when they gave him his new contract. He was okay but I think they should have eloped other options before settling for okay play from the MLB position. I can't see there being a huge demand for Nate so he will likely take the paycut like Raiola did to stay in Detroit. Delmas' S spot needs to be upgraded plus I can't see him taking a paycut, he knows his money making days are dwindling away. Pettigrew is all but gone unless they slap some form of tender on him hoping to get something in return.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Pett is an UFA, so their only option is to franchise him. 2013 for that was around 6 mil, which is way too much for him. I wouldn't mind them signing him to a reasonable extension--the question is whether or not Staff still trusts him. 2012 really shook his confidence in him--he used to be his favorite target.

Pettigrew should NOT be franchised. He's not a franchise style player, as he is entirely replaceable. If Mayhew does that, it should be his exit card. You are right, there is no tender to put on him. They either sign him, franchise him or watch him walk away. I hope it is the latter, unless he agrees to a deal that averages around $3M per season or less. I doubt he'll accept that.

The Lions need to rework some contracts, and Tulloch's is one they could do something with. He's due $3.75M in salary and has three years left. I think the Lions can take some of that salary and put it into a bonus that can be spread across the three years to open some space.

Delmas is another story. If he thinks he can get $5M per season from another team, I say cut him and let him try. He's due $6M this year from the Lions, and there's no way they should pay him that much. He either agrees to a pay cut, or they should cut him outright.

January 11th, 2014, 2:21 pm
NFL Veteran

m2karateman wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:

Pettigrew should NOT be franchised. He's not a franchise style player, as he is entirely replaceable. If Mayhew does that, it should be his exit card. You are right, there is no tender to put on him. They either sign him, franchise him or watch him walk away. I hope it is the latter, unless he agrees to a deal that averages around $3M per season or less. I doubt he'll accept that.

The Lions need to rework some contracts, and Tulloch's is one they could do something with. He's due $3.75M in salary and has three years left. I think the Lions can take some of that salary and put it into a bonus that can be spread across the three years to open some space.

Delmas is another story. If he thinks he can get $5M per season from another team, I say cut him and let him try. He's due $6M this year from the Lions, and there's no way they should pay him that much. He either agrees to a pay cut, or they should cut him outright.

I think Pett may take a surprising smaller amount of money than most people think since the 2014 TE market is loaded with able bodied guys like Finnley, Pitta, and Myers. None of these guys are remotely close to Jimmy Graham level, so he probably wont be much of a factor in the contract negotiations.

I like the idea of spreading some money around for Tulloch's deal. It'll be good for both the team and the player since he gets more guaranteed money plus it'll show his place on the team is secure since they aren't going to cut him with more dead money on the books.

I hope they just cut Delmas outright unless he takes an incredibly large paycut and they get a guy to openly compete with him for the starting position. The teams reliance on him was misguided and all the time he missed over the years seemed to hamper any growth he may have been able to make. The guy is just a slightly above average athlete with low level instincts and terrible fundamentals.

January 11th, 2014, 3:08 pm
QB Coach

From what I've seen Tully is owed $4.5M salary with $1.3M signing bonus the next two seasons (cap hit of $5.8 each season) and then $5.5M salary, $1.3M SB and $500,000 roster bonus in 2016 for a $7.3M cap hit. He may be willing to reduce his base salary and convert it to a bonus to spread it over the final 3 years which would free up about $2M in space this year.

January 11th, 2014, 8:06 pm

Tulloch isn't the type of player that the Lions should be robbing Peter to pay Paul. I really don't want to see his contract being redone to give him any more of a signing bonus that will cost the team in the future. They need to eat the bad deal they signed with him and hopefully get at least a solid season out of him and look to cut or move him in 2015. As I've said Tulloch is an okay player but nothing he did on that one year deal justified the pay day the Lions gave him. He was and should have been just a stop gap but he was a Schwartz guy and his average play was better than what they had previously seen when Levy was manning the middle. I just think they settled for Tulloch instead of doing their due diligence in trying to find a playmaker at the MLB position.

January 11th, 2014, 11:41 pm

FYI:

January 13th, 2014, 2:53 pm
QB Coach

thelomasbrowns wrote:
FYI:

Not sure if the contract numbers I have reflect that or not. Even if they don't we still save $1M cutting him.

January 13th, 2014, 4:58 pm
QB Coach

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... d-penalty/

And here's why any team in the league should want to sign Anquan Boldin this offseason.

January 13th, 2014, 5:01 pm
RIP Killer

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/13/anquan-boldin-got-on-jim-harbaughs-case-about-15-yard-penalty/

And here's why any team in the league should want to sign Anquan Boldin this offseason.

If the 49ers don't re-sign him, the Lions should definitely offer him a deal. He'd be a perfect second receiver, even at his age. If they could get him, then Nate could be cut outright, or force him to take a HEFTY paycut. It would also mean the Lions wouldn't be forced to use their first or second round pick on a receiver, but could us a mid-rounder instead.

January 13th, 2014, 10:28 pm
Varsity Captain

I totally agree and don't get smart and try to low ball him. Don't offer the moon but an amount that will keep him interested plus a boatload of incentives.

January 14th, 2014, 10:31 am
RIP Killer

m2karateman wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/13/anquan-boldin-got-on-jim-harbaughs-case-about-15-yard-penalty/

If the 49ers don't re-sign him, the Lions should definitely offer him a deal. He'd be a perfect second receiver, even at his age. If they could get him, then Nate could be cut outright, or force him to take a HEFTY paycut. It would also mean the Lions wouldn't be forced to use their first or second round pick on a receiver, but could us a mid-rounder instead.

And he cost a 6th rounder last year. Really?

January 14th, 2014, 10:40 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Pablo wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:

Yeah. To quote a movie 'that's the damnable misery of it all'.

January 14th, 2014, 1:05 pm
NFL Veteran

m2karateman wrote:
Pablo wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:

Yeah. To quote a movie 'that's the damnable misery of it all'.

If there was ever a time to talk about collusion in the NFL that was a day to do it. It was really nice of John to give his lil bro a gift after the Super Bowl.

January 14th, 2014, 1:24 pm
QB Coach

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... ng_ne.html

Lions and Suh starting to talk about a long term deal. Article mentions Geno Atkins got 5 years $55M, so Suh would have to top that. I think it'll also depend on what Henry Melton gets on the market (yes he was injured and arrested this year but he's 26 or 27 and a really good DT) I'm guessing it'd probably have to be about $12M per year so something like a 7 year 80-84M deal just based on the market and his rookie contract. Hopefully we can get him a little cheaper overall, but if we can cut that cap number of 22.5M in half this season it'll give us some space to play with free agents.

January 15th, 2014, 11:28 pm
Baton Girl

Post Free Agents
Any thoughts on FAs you would like to see come to Detroit? What's the cap space like? I personally would like to see Jacoby Jones. Great number 2 so Calvin can do his thing plus punt/kick returner and he will know Jim Caldwells system. Great fit! Thoughts?

Our friends will be drinking all our beer

January 16th, 2014, 12:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next