View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 2nd, 2014, 7:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Report: Eagles QB coach Bill Lazor to be named Lions OC 
Player of the Year - Defense

Post Re: Report: Eagles QB coach Bill Lazor to be named Lions OC
I think the defensive scheme was part of it. I think they also wanted a second interview and assistants with teams in playoffs are ONLY allowed one interview per team until they're out, so if Caldwell and Whiz were finalists, it couldn't happen until Monday and they chose differently or Whiz chose differently.

Caldwell might have been their 2nd choice, but looking back at Whiz... They had a decent situation at QB before Ben stepped in but Ben was special. He was big and took hits and moved that 99% of QB's in the league fell over from. That helps a system. Then in Arizona, the plays were different when Warner was there and they had success until he retired. 5-11, 5-11, 8-8 with a rotation of QB's that did nothing. 4 QB's rotating around in 2012 guaranteed no momentum. Ben was the player he was in college when he played in the NFL and Warner was already developed but slipping when he got to Arizona. Even Rivers just had one down year on a team with receiver injuries galore, so it's hard to credit Whiz for River's development.

Caldwell has his question marks in my eyes, but I'm not seeing much different in terms of greatness. Whiz has 1 ring and 1 appearance, Caldwell has 2 rings. They're both "ok" coaches, but only time will tell if Caldwell's the right fit. I think the win now mentality guarantees he won't get 5 years to make it happen.

January 16th, 2014, 10:49 pm
Red Shirt Freshman

m2karateman wrote:
Believe what you want, but I don't think for one second Caldwell was their primary desire in the HC hunt. They went shooting for eagles, and got a crow instead.

Who do you think they really wanted? If they wanted Whisenhunt then they would also have to want a 3-4 defense and whatever else Whisenhunt demanded (to be like a GM, to have a longer and more expensive contract, etc.).

January 18th, 2014, 4:14 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Personally, I think Lazor is a moron for going to Miami. Philbin is a lame duck at best, and could be fired mid season if things go wrong next year. With the Lions, he would have at least two years to build up his resume. Not sure what he's thinking.

January 18th, 2014, 11:31 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Growler wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Believe what you want, but I don't think for one second Caldwell was their primary desire in the HC hunt. They went shooting for eagles, and got a crow instead.

Who do you think they really wanted? If they wanted Whisenhunt then they would also have to want a 3-4 defense and whatever else Whisenhunt demanded (to be like a GM, to have a longer and more expensive contract, etc.).

m2k, I don't believe they got a crow although I do believe they took their 2nd choice.

Growler, going to a 3-4 defense would have meant massive personnel changes to the defense and set the team back at least a year in developing a winning team.

Caldwell prepared for his interview heavily according to reports. He even had Stafford in atendence. He only did one interview, as did Whisenhunt. The Lions wanted Whisenhunt and lost out on him. They moved quickly to ensure they didn't lose out on their second choice. Who the OC turns out to be probably won't much matter. Mayhew has made it clear that Stafford is the man and the offense is going to revolve around him and the coaching staff has to make him great.

January 19th, 2014, 7:34 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Jafo wrote:
Growler wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

m2k, I don't believe they got a crow although I do believe they took their 2nd choice.

Growler, going to a 3-4 defense would have meant massive personnel changes to the defense and set the team back at least a year in developing a winning team.

Caldwell prepared for his interview heavily according to reports. He even had Stafford in atendence. He only did one interview, as did Whisenhunt. The Lions wanted Whisenhunt and lost out on him. They moved quickly to ensure they didn't lose out on their second choice. Who the OC turns out to be probably won't much matter. Mayhew has made it clear that Stafford is the man and the offense is going to revolve around him and the coaching staff has to make him great.

Both did 1 interview, but Caldwell came to Detroit and met with the Fords on his first interview. By rules, Detroit officials had to go to San Diego to interview Whiz and he needed to come to Detroit after they were eliminated to interview with the Fords. That never took place. We might never know if that 2nd interview was a courtesy to Whiz or if they lost out. The media they had prepared for the website when Caldwell was named doesn't make it look like it was a loss though.

January 19th, 2014, 10:57 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Just to prove C02 wrong, I do sometimes post in the Lions forum. Carry on. :D

January 20th, 2014, 7:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2