View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 2:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Free Agent Possibilities 
Baton Girl

Post Re: Free Agents
sweetd20 wrote:
The Lions can't afford to get a levit veteran #2 WR and expect to keep a team that is competitive past the next season. The best case scenario is if the Lions prayers to the football gods were answered and Watkins fell to #10. I highly doubt that happens and if it doesn't I'd welcome a trade back to get Jordan Matthews (my favorite prospect behind Watkins) or hope he was there in the 2nd round. He doesn't have the elite speed but he does have good speed and nice burst off the line. What I really like about him is he is already a good route runner and can get separation with his strength and that ability to run crisp routes. The way he plays reminds me of Irvin and Carter and how they found ways to get open. As far as FA WRs I think they have to look at cheaper guys that will be more of a #3 like LaFell or Ginn from Carolina.

Agreed but I can only hope a decent #2 would take less money to play with CJ.

Our friends will be drinking all our beer

January 16th, 2014, 10:57 pm
Baton Girl

m2karateman wrote:
I believe that what the Lions do in FA is going to have a big impact on what they do with their first pick in the draft. I'd take Anquan Boldin over Jacoby Jones all day long. Boldin is a RECEIVER. Jones is a return may who is put into the receiver role from time to time. Big difference.

With Boldin you know that if a team decides they will double up on Calvin, he's going to HURT them. That is, provided Stafford can throw him the ball on target. And if Calvin were to go down to injury, Boldin can step in as the #1 receiver and hold his own as well as anyone.

Getting rid of Burleson would be foolish. I'd hold onto him until after the draft, at least. If the Lions were to land Sammy Watkins, then his days would likely be numbered. But as I've said before, having depth at receiver is something this team NEEDS. Beyond Calvin we got nothing. If we punch Nate's ticket after signing a FA like Boldin, there is no guarantee we'll land Watkins, or any other top receiver in the draft. And then guess what? Burleson is gone, and if either DJ or Boldin go down to injury, our second receiver is Kris Durham (if he's still on the roster). Is that what you want?

Burleson being the team guy that he is, I think he'd accept a slot receiver role and flourish in it for a year or two. And if the Lions were to draft Watkins or another speed receiver, Burleson would be a great tutor for him.

Jeremy Ross is our return man, and I'll take him over Jacoby Jones. Less salary, just as good a return man.

As for CB...there isn't one worth the 10th pick that I can see. If the Lions were to trade down, I like Justin Gilbert or Dennard. But not until after pick 16 or so. I don't think two receivers will go top ten, and I definitely don't think a CB will go in the top ten.

I like Burleson I want him to stay on the team he's a great leader and as far as Boldin is concerned I don't think the 9'ers will let him go. If so get pick up as far as Ross I hope he's not another Stefan Logan "1 year wonder". The draft will be effected by Free Agency and the Combine. Great performances at the Combine will over value and under value players. You always see it so who knows. Teams will put value on certain player like Bruce Iving Seattle. Its the nature of the beast. Look what Atlanta did with Julio Jones. So who knows

Our friends will be drinking all our beer

January 16th, 2014, 11:26 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

m2karateman wrote:
I believe that what the Lions do in FA is going to have a big impact on what they do with their first pick in the draft. I'd take Anquan Boldin over Jacoby Jones all day long. Boldin is a RECEIVER. Jones is a return may who is put into the receiver role from time to time. Big difference.

With Boldin you know that if a team decides they will double up on Calvin, he's going to HURT them. That is, provided Stafford can throw him the ball on target. And if Calvin were to go down to injury, Boldin can step in as the #1 receiver and hold his own as well as anyone.

Getting rid of Burleson would be foolish. I'd hold onto him until after the draft, at least. If the Lions were to land Sammy Watkins, then his days would likely be numbered. But as I've said before, having depth at receiver is something this team NEEDS. Beyond Calvin we got nothing. If we punch Nate's ticket after signing a FA like Boldin, there is no guarantee we'll land Watkins, or any other top receiver in the draft. And then guess what? Burleson is gone, and if either DJ or Boldin go down to injury, our second receiver is Kris Durham (if he's still on the roster). Is that what you want?

Burleson being the team guy that he is, I think he'd accept a slot receiver role and flourish in it for a year or two. And if the Lions were to draft Watkins or another speed receiver, Burleson would be a great tutor for him.

Jeremy Ross is our return man, and I'll take him over Jacoby Jones. Less salary, just as good a return man.

As for CB...there isn't one worth the 10th pick that I can see. If the Lions were to trade down, I like Justin Gilbert or Dennard. But not until after pick 16 or so. I don't think two receivers will go top ten, and I definitely don't think a CB will go in the top ten.

I think Burleson would make a really really solid slot receiver. I wouldn't dump Nate unless I drafted Watkins/Evans and was able to land a better slot option for a cheaper price in FA. And that just doesn't make a whole lot of sense when you think about the timing he already has with Stafford. Making him the slot guy would lighten his load a bit and he could last a little longer. I think everyone wins with Nate in the slot.

January 17th, 2014, 12:08 am
QB Coach

Post Re: Free Agent Possibilities
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Bre ... -deal.html

Just found that breakdown. The problem with Suh is the same as with Stafford and CJ. Because of previous restructurings, he has a lot of guaranteed money left about $20M (almost $10M this year and next - yes next year is voided but the guarantee will still be paid and count against the cap, even if he's with another team next year). So that has to be incorporated into his deal. I think he'll get a signing bonus around $25M and to make up for his remaining guarantees will have guaranteed base salaries for the first 1-3 years.

Base Bonus Cap Hit
2014: $5M $5M $10M
2015: $7M $5M $12M
2016: $7M $5M $12M
2017: $10M $5M $15M
2018: $10M $5M $15M
2019: $10M 0 $10M
2020: $10M 0 $10M

I could see something like that, possibly with even more back loading of the contract and have the first 3 years base salary fully guaranteed. That alone would clear us $12M on the cap this season.

January 17th, 2014, 12:20 am
Rookie Player of the Year

I can't see Suh basing his next contract off of Atkins when he is already making more than him. At this point he is holding all the cards and I have to imagine will be looking for a Haynesworth deal that will likely have him closer to the $17 million a season average. They can work it like Haynesworth so his number is smaller at the start but In a few years that $20 million or more roster bonus will be on the table and the Lions are going to have to make a decision.

January 17th, 2014, 7:06 am
QB Coach

We can't afford to pay him more than about $12M per season average. My contract was just a basic idea of how the numbers would play out to get to that 12M (7 years 84M in total). We could easily back load a contract like that so it turns out to be a 7 year 99M deal with the last two years outrageously huge nonguaranteed base salaries so it'd be in essence a 5 year deal. If we're going to extend him it's got to be reasonable and lower his cap hit by a lot this season.

If we cut his hit in half, and rework Nate to the vet min, we'll be shaving $15-16M off the cap. Add that to a couple other moves and it will give us enough to sign rookies and add 1 or 2 players in free agency.

I think WR and C need to be added via the draft so we can have young guys there to grow with our team. A vet corner would be a big addition since they take some time to grow into the role. Alterraun Verner is my top choice but I'd settle for DRC or Sam Shields. I think DRC will price himself out with a decent super bowl.

January 21st, 2014, 11:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5