View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 28th, 2014, 9:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 2014 Coaching Staff 
5th Round Pick - Traded

Post 2014 Coaching Staff
Quote:
Lions coaching rumors: Talking Vance Joseph, Bill Sheridan, Jim Tressel

By Sean Yuille @SeanYuille on Jan 16 2014, 12:28p 42
Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

Rumors are swirling about who the Detroit Lions might be adding to their coaching staff.
Tweet (6) Share (1) Share 42 Comments

With the Detroit Lions hiring Jim Caldwell as head coach, their focus is now on assembling the rest of their coaching staff. It looks as though Baltimore Ravens secondary coach Teryl Austin has been hired as the Lions' new defensive coordinator, but who else might be joining Caldwell in Detroit? There are several names worth keeping in mind.

On the defensive side of the ball, Austin is apparently already interviewing potential assistants:

Vance Joseph was the Houston Texans' defensive backs coach from 2011-13. Before that, he coached the secondary for the San Francisco 49ers from 2006-10. I'm assuming he's interviewing for the same position in Detroit -- to be the Lions' secondary coach.

Bill Sheridan, who is a Detroit native, most recently served as the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' defensive coordinator. He's got a lot of experience coaching linebackers (with the Miami Dolphins, the New York Giants, Michigan, Michigan State and a few other stops), and he apparently recently spoke with the Chicago Bears about joining their coaching staff.

On the offensive side of the ball, former Ohio State head coach Jim Tressel has been the subject of a lot of speculation because he's got such strong ties to Caldwell. One report from ESPN actually suggested that a deal is already in place for Tressel to join the Lions, but a different report on Thursday said that there has been "no meaningful contact between parties."

There's also a lot of speculation surrounding Indianapolis Colts quarterbacks coach Clyde Christensen for the Lions' offensive coordinator role. Considering Christensen was Caldwell's offensive coordinator in Indy from 2009-11 and worked alongside him for 11 seasons, he probably has a pretty good shot at landing the Detroit offensive coordinator job.

January 16th, 2014, 4:32 pm
Modmin Dude

Post Re: 2014 Coaching Staff
PFT wrote:
John Bonamego will return as Lions special teams coordinator
Posted by Josh Alper on January 17, 2014, 7:54 AM EST

Lions coach Jim Caldwell is putting together his first staff in Detroit and he’s decided to hold onto at least one assistant from Jim Schwartz’s staff.

The Lions confirmed that special teams coordinator John Bonamego will return for the 2014 season despite the change in coaches. Bonamego joined the team in 2013 and oversaw units that were solid across the board. The Lions didn’t allow a touchdown return on kickoffs or punts after allowing four of them in 2012 and Jeremy Ross provided a spark to their own return game with a pair of touchdowns.

Ravens defensive backs coach Teryl Austin is expected to join the team as defensive coordinator, which would fill two of the three coordinator spots.

Bonamego’s the only return that’s been announced by the team, but Caldwell is expected to hold onto several other Schwartz assistants. Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press reports that offensive line coach Jermaine Washburn will return, while Justin Rogers of MLive.com reports that running backs coach Curtis Modkins and defensive line assistant Jim Washburn are also expected to return.

Per Birkett, quarterbacks coach Todd Downing, offensive assistant Kyle Valero and assistant linebackers coach Brad Banta will not be back on the staff for the 2014 season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ordinator/

January 17th, 2014, 9:04 am
RIP Killer

RB coach Curtis Modkins and DL Asst coach Jim Washburn are expected to be kept by Caldwell also.

January 17th, 2014, 9:52 am
Profile WWW
Player of the Year - Defense

Keep what works.... Not a bad mood. Special teams was a positive this year as was the OL. I'm looking forward to see what the rest of offseason looks like.

January 17th, 2014, 10:04 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

While the DC hasnt been a DC at the NFL Level, he was the DC for Title winning Florida teams under Urban Cryer so he has called defenses during games before. The OC Call remains to be seen and is the single biggest decision Caldwell will make this year IMO, but the rest of his coaching calls (the retained staff) I am good with.

January 17th, 2014, 2:26 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
3rd Round Selection

Agree njroar - it's the right approach with the staff. Pleased Washburn is back - impressed with what he did with a totally revamped and inexperienced O-Line last season.

January 17th, 2014, 2:44 pm

DJ-B wrote:
While the DC hasnt been a DC at the NFL Level, he was the DC for Title winning Florida teams under Urban Cryer so he has called defenses during games before. The OC Call remains to be seen and is the single biggest decision Caldwell will make this year IMO, but the rest of his coaching calls (the retained staff) I am good with.

OC will be interesting, but he also brought Rutger's OC, Ron Prince over as assistant head coach/OL coach, so whoever you add as OC, that's 3 offensive minds to think up ways to improve Stafford and 3 offensive minds to think up unique ways to utilize the weapons.

January 17th, 2014, 3:33 pm
Walk On

I read somewhere today, the OC might be the QB coach for the Colts, Christianson.

January 17th, 2014, 3:54 pm

If he grab him for a QB coach, then Stafford should be in good hands.

Caldwell wants to run the Indy/Denver quick tempo offense. It's not your typical hurry up that is about maximizing snaps, it's a quick, to-the-line offense where the play is called in and used a lot of audibles. It's like the hurry up in that it forces the defenses to keep the same personnel on the field, but it still kills clock. I actually prefer that system to straight hurry up, because a three and out isn't going to cause our defense to be overtired before the end of the half.

January 17th, 2014, 8:48 pm
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

I think Caldwell already has his OC, but he is on a team still playing. I'll bet Caldwell firmed up his OC before he was officially hired by the Lions, thus not breaking any NFL rules for tampering. Going the psychic route (AKA - a WAG) I say he it's Kippy Brown or Sherman Smith from Seattle, with Ivan Fears having an outside shot.

Blueskies is my hero. I worship the ground he walks on.

January 18th, 2014, 2:43 pm
RIP Killer

Only logical. No way you hire a HC who, when asked who his staff would be says, "ugh, I don't really know, I've got some ideas though!"

I actually like the idea of adding tressel to the staff, even if it's a special assistant of some sorts. Not sure if I would want kippy brown though. Didn't remember him being much of a WR coach when he was here, guys weren't open about him like they have been with the washburns, for example. I could see Sherman smith though, since he at least has prior OC experience, although under a Jim Zorn led team.

January 18th, 2014, 3:31 pm
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

conversion02 wrote:
Only logical. No way you hire a HC who, when asked who his staff would be says, "ugh, I don't really know, I've got some ideas though!"

I actually like the idea of adding tressel to the staff, even if it's a special assistant of some sorts. Not sure if I would want kippy brown though. Didn't remember him being much of a WR coach when he was here, guys weren't open about him like they have been with the washburns, for example. I could see Sherman smith though, since he at least has prior OC experience, although under a Jim Zorn led team.

Like.

Blueskies is my hero. I worship the ground he walks on.

January 18th, 2014, 3:41 pm
RIP Killer

I wonder if tressel is actually a serious thought for OC? Haven't heard much, unless Caldwell is waiting on interviews and such until after playoffs. Doesn't make sense to hire assistants without some sort of commitment from a coordinator though

January 18th, 2014, 3:51 pm

conversion02 wrote:
I wonder if tressel is actually a serious thought for OC? Haven't heard much, unless Caldwell is waiting on interviews and such until after playoffs. Doesn't make sense to hire assistants without some sort of commitment from a coordinator though

My thinking on this:
-Caldwell says he wants an 'innovative' OC
-By all accounts, Tressel is quite traditional in his playcalling
-If it were Tressel, we'd have hired him by now (unless they're trying to make the move less traumatic to Michiganders by breaking the news slowly)

January 18th, 2014, 11:41 pm

January 21st, 2014, 10:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next