View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 21st, 2014, 12:44 am



Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Is it racist? 
Author Message
Lionbacker Rehab Guru
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2006, 9:08 pm
Posts: 1203
Post Is it racist?
It's time to stop whining about Sly and find something else to whine about, so here goes...

I've posited that Kippy Brown or Sherman Smith will be the Lions next OC. I made this guess because 1) The Lions are not talking OC right now so it likely means their chosen one is on a team still playing and 2) Jim Caldwell has so far hired Teryl Austin as DC, and Ron Prince as assistant HC, both of whom are Black. 3) Caldwell said as much in his press conference that he plans to give 'certain' coaches a chance to coach who might not have had that opportunity before.

I could add Curtis Modkins to this discussion, but, truly I've no idea what a 'Game Coordinator' does.

My question is, 'Is it racist to mandate a mono-Chrome brain trust?' Would it be racist of Caldwell to have a skin color test in the hiring of management level coaches?

Now that you've answered that question, and are properly irritated, take a look at the management level coaches of Seattle and Denver.

Is it racist, or is it is what it is, just hiring people they are comfortable being around?

Needless to say, Caldwell can fool me by hiring a White guy.

_________________
Climate Change - happening every second, of every minute of every day ever since the world was created. Needless to say it's man's fault.


January 20th, 2014, 2:38 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7550
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Is it racist?
Well, until Mayhew became the GM, The Lions had never had a black guy running things. Up till now, the Lions have never had a black HC. Up till now, the Lions have never had a black DC.

You know what else the Lions have never had?

A Super Bowl Appearance! Not saying that a bunch of black guys will change that. But, a whole lot of white guys failed.


January 20th, 2014, 3:06 pm
Profile
Lionbacker Rehab Guru
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2006, 9:08 pm
Posts: 1203
Post Re: Is it racist?
BillySims wrote:
Well, until Mayhew became the GM, The Lions had never had a black guy running things. Up till now, the Lions have never had a black HC. Up till now, the Lions have never had a black DC.

You know what else the Lions have never had?

A Super Bowl Appearance! Not saying that a bunch of black guys will change that. But, a whole lot of white guys failed.


I see that you did not answer my question? Do you think it is fine to be racist as long as you win? Or, is it not a matter of overt racism. It's just who Caldwell might be more comfortable with. Call it subtle racism at worse?

BTW: If Caldwell and his staff find a way to win, I look forward to the headline, 'Now that the Lions have gone Black, can they ever go back?'

_________________
Climate Change - happening every second, of every minute of every day ever since the world was created. Needless to say it's man's fault.


January 20th, 2014, 3:18 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9549
Location: Dallas
Post Re: Is it racist?
If somebody is hiring on something other than their own individual merits, it needs to be examined. One could argue that most discrimination in the NFL is on the "white" side, meaning that on average, quality "blacks" have been passed over for white coaches meaning the current coaching pool is skewed towards having more quality black candidates all other things being equal.

Now, I've not looked into all who he might be interviewing, but I know for a fact a number of coaches they decided to retain are certainly white. They just added Bill Sheridan (LB coach) to the staff, he is white. So I guess he has "fooled" you...

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


January 20th, 2014, 3:48 pm
Profile WWW
Lionbacker Rehab Guru
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2006, 9:08 pm
Posts: 1203
Post Re: Is it racist?
Pablo wrote:
If somebody is hiring on something other than their own individual merits, it needs to be examined. One could argue that most discrimination in the NFL is on the "white" side, meaning that on average, quality "blacks" have been passed over for white coaches meaning the current coaching pool is skewed towards having more quality black candidates all other things being equal.

Now, I've not looked into all who he might be interviewing, but I know for a fact a number of coaches they decided to retain are certainly white. They just added Bill Sheridan (LB coach) to the staff, he is white. So I guess he has "fooled" you...


I know your comprehension is better than that. You are trying to win an argument by avoiding the main point. I was specifically referring to upper management coaches. The HC, DC, OC, Assistant HC, and maybe, in the Lions case, the Game Coordinator (whatever that is). If you want to be silly go ahead, but I'd prefer serious insight.

Like BillySims, you've not answered the question. Not to be accused of being Sly, but is everyone on Lionbacker a PC-ussy. If you think it's racist, say so. If you think it is not, say that. Stop hedging with, 'Well everyone else does it,' or 'Maybe it should be looked at'.

Simple question, 'If Caldwell is hiring upper level management coaches (maybe because he is more comfortable with them or because he wants to give them a chance he does not think they have had), if Caldwell is doing this, is it racist?'

_________________
Climate Change - happening every second, of every minute of every day ever since the world was created. Needless to say it's man's fault.


January 20th, 2014, 4:17 pm
Profile
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 13th, 2007, 12:43 pm
Posts: 2785
Post Re: Is it racist?
If Caldwell was white, and he was hiring a bunch of white guys to be OC, DC, etc. would you make this topic?

No, because that's usually what happens in the NFL.

At any rate, don't care as long as he wins.

I didn't like Rod Marinelli hiring his daughter's husband to be DC, but if he had been a successful HC, I wouldn't have minded.


January 20th, 2014, 4:23 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7550
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Is it racist?
I don't think Caldwell is a stupid man. If he were hiring people only because they are black, then that would be pretty stupid.


January 20th, 2014, 4:24 pm
Profile
Lionbacker Rehab Guru
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2006, 9:08 pm
Posts: 1203
Post Re: Is it racist?
Blueskies wrote:
If Caldwell was white, and he was hiring a bunch of white guys to be OC, DC, etc. would you make this topic?

No, because that's usually what happens in the NFL.

At any rate, don't care as long as he wins.

I didn't like Rod Marinelli hiring his daughter's husband to be DC, but if he had been a successful HC, I wouldn't have minded.


So you don't like Caldwell only looking at Black coaches for OC, DC, Assistant HC, but if he wins, your OK with it?

That's my Blueskies. Stalwart Conservative on everything but social issues. Thanks for not letting me down.

_________________
Climate Change - happening every second, of every minute of every day ever since the world was created. Needless to say it's man's fault.


January 20th, 2014, 4:38 pm
Profile
Lionbacker Rehab Guru
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2006, 9:08 pm
Posts: 1203
Post Re: Is it racist?
BillySims wrote:
I don't think Caldwell is a stupid man. If he were hiring people only because they are black, then that would be pretty stupid.

Wanna bet if his OC is Black or not?

_________________
Climate Change - happening every second, of every minute of every day ever since the world was created. Needless to say it's man's fault.


January 20th, 2014, 4:39 pm
Profile
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 13th, 2007, 12:43 pm
Posts: 2785
Post Re: Is it racist?
The Lions are a private organization. They can do as they wish. The "conservative" position would be to let them hire on any basis they please.

On a personal level, I would be bothered if Caldwell had said, "I'm only hiring brothers to be on my staff." But that isn't what he said.

Since he's now the coach, you have to let him hire his own staff. If you were the Lion's owner would you say, "hey don't hire too many black guys. That's racist."


January 20th, 2014, 4:59 pm
Profile
Lionbacker Rehab Guru
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2006, 9:08 pm
Posts: 1203
Post Re: Is it racist?
Since Lionbackers seem to apprehensive about saying racist behavior is racist, let's make a bet.

If I win, the loser(s) has to change their signature for the next 60 days to,

"TruckinMack is my hero. I worship the ground he walks on."

If whoever bets me wins, I will change my signature to the same with their name(s) on it, instead. All names included for a single 60 day period.

The bet, I say Caldwell's OC will be someone who is socially considered 'Black or Afro-American'.

Any takers?

_________________
Climate Change - happening every second, of every minute of every day ever since the world was created. Needless to say it's man's fault.


January 20th, 2014, 5:03 pm
Profile
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 13th, 2007, 12:43 pm
Posts: 2785
Post Re: Is it racist?
Sure. I'll take that bet.

Bill Lazor, who was widely reported to be the guy until he signed with Miami, is white.


January 20th, 2014, 5:08 pm
Profile
Lionbacker Rehab Guru
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2006, 9:08 pm
Posts: 1203
Post Re: Is it racist?
Blueskies wrote:
Sure. I'll take that bet.

Bill Lazor, who was widely reported to be the guy until he signed with Miami, is white.


The bet, I say Caldwell's OC will be someone who is socially considered 'Black or Afro-American'.

Note, the bet is not what someone speculated on who might be our next OC.

Congratulations Blue on your conviction to make a bet. I'm looking forward to a pride of Lionbackers with a new signature. Should I lose, I will with almost equal joy wear a new signature myself.

_________________
Climate Change - happening every second, of every minute of every day ever since the world was created. Needless to say it's man's fault.


January 20th, 2014, 5:22 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10355
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post Re: Is it racist?
He kept the washburns and bonamego, and they're whities. So because he hired a couple black dudes he (or the organization) is now racist? What a joke. I wish this was the worst of the lions problems. Is this team so putrid we have to make up BS about the organization being racist against whites now? Amazing.

_________________
_____
The kitties are slowly restoring some Millen killed faith. Now, beat those F'ing Fudgies!
Image


January 20th, 2014, 5:59 pm
Profile
Lionbacker Rehab Guru
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2006, 9:08 pm
Posts: 1203
Post Re: Is it racist?
conversion02 wrote:
He kept the washburns and bonamego, and they're whities. So because he hired a couple black dudes he (or the organization) is now racist? What a joke. I wish this was the worst of the lions problems. Is this team so putrid we have to make up BS about the organization being racist against whites now? Amazing.

So is it a bet?

I like your typical Liberal route of faux outrage.

BTW, my question is, 'Is it racist?' Not, 'It is racist!' Are you also going full Liberal and saying that it is an outrage to even ask such a question?

You don't like being called a Liberal, but I'm not seeing Conservative logic in your posts. I see drama queen emo (aka: Liberal). Regards... and is it a bet?

_________________
Climate Change - happening every second, of every minute of every day ever since the world was created. Needless to say it's man's fault.


January 20th, 2014, 6:23 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.