View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 21st, 2014, 12:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Is it racist? 
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

Post Is it racist?
It's time to stop whining about Sly and find something else to whine about, so here goes...

I've posited that Kippy Brown or Sherman Smith will be the Lions next OC. I made this guess because 1) The Lions are not talking OC right now so it likely means their chosen one is on a team still playing and 2) Jim Caldwell has so far hired Teryl Austin as DC, and Ron Prince as assistant HC, both of whom are Black. 3) Caldwell said as much in his press conference that he plans to give 'certain' coaches a chance to coach who might not have had that opportunity before.

I could add Curtis Modkins to this discussion, but, truly I've no idea what a 'Game Coordinator' does.

My question is, 'Is it racist to mandate a mono-Chrome brain trust?' Would it be racist of Caldwell to have a skin color test in the hiring of management level coaches?

Now that you've answered that question, and are properly irritated, take a look at the management level coaches of Seattle and Denver.

Is it racist, or is it is what it is, just hiring people they are comfortable being around?

Needless to say, Caldwell can fool me by hiring a White guy.

January 20th, 2014, 2:38 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Is it racist?
Well, until Mayhew became the GM, The Lions had never had a black guy running things. Up till now, the Lions have never had a black HC. Up till now, the Lions have never had a black DC.

You know what else the Lions have never had?

A Super Bowl Appearance! Not saying that a bunch of black guys will change that. But, a whole lot of white guys failed.

January 20th, 2014, 3:06 pm
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

BillySims wrote:
Well, until Mayhew became the GM, The Lions had never had a black guy running things. Up till now, the Lions have never had a black HC. Up till now, the Lions have never had a black DC.

You know what else the Lions have never had?

A Super Bowl Appearance! Not saying that a bunch of black guys will change that. But, a whole lot of white guys failed.

I see that you did not answer my question? Do you think it is fine to be racist as long as you win? Or, is it not a matter of overt racism. It's just who Caldwell might be more comfortable with. Call it subtle racism at worse?

BTW: If Caldwell and his staff find a way to win, I look forward to the headline, 'Now that the Lions have gone Black, can they ever go back?'

January 20th, 2014, 3:18 pm
RIP Killer

If somebody is hiring on something other than their own individual merits, it needs to be examined. One could argue that most discrimination in the NFL is on the "white" side, meaning that on average, quality "blacks" have been passed over for white coaches meaning the current coaching pool is skewed towards having more quality black candidates all other things being equal.

Now, I've not looked into all who he might be interviewing, but I know for a fact a number of coaches they decided to retain are certainly white. They just added Bill Sheridan (LB coach) to the staff, he is white. So I guess he has "fooled" you...

January 20th, 2014, 3:48 pm
Profile WWW
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

Pablo wrote:
If somebody is hiring on something other than their own individual merits, it needs to be examined. One could argue that most discrimination in the NFL is on the "white" side, meaning that on average, quality "blacks" have been passed over for white coaches meaning the current coaching pool is skewed towards having more quality black candidates all other things being equal.

Now, I've not looked into all who he might be interviewing, but I know for a fact a number of coaches they decided to retain are certainly white. They just added Bill Sheridan (LB coach) to the staff, he is white. So I guess he has "fooled" you...

I know your comprehension is better than that. You are trying to win an argument by avoiding the main point. I was specifically referring to upper management coaches. The HC, DC, OC, Assistant HC, and maybe, in the Lions case, the Game Coordinator (whatever that is). If you want to be silly go ahead, but I'd prefer serious insight.

Like BillySims, you've not answered the question. Not to be accused of being Sly, but is everyone on Lionbacker a PC-ussy. If you think it's racist, say so. If you think it is not, say that. Stop hedging with, 'Well everyone else does it,' or 'Maybe it should be looked at'.

Simple question, 'If Caldwell is hiring upper level management coaches (maybe because he is more comfortable with them or because he wants to give them a chance he does not think they have had), if Caldwell is doing this, is it racist?'

January 20th, 2014, 4:17 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

If Caldwell was white, and he was hiring a bunch of white guys to be OC, DC, etc. would you make this topic?

No, because that's usually what happens in the NFL.

At any rate, don't care as long as he wins.

I didn't like Rod Marinelli hiring his daughter's husband to be DC, but if he had been a successful HC, I wouldn't have minded.

January 20th, 2014, 4:23 pm
Hall of Fame Player

I don't think Caldwell is a stupid man. If he were hiring people only because they are black, then that would be pretty stupid.

January 20th, 2014, 4:24 pm
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

Blueskies wrote:
If Caldwell was white, and he was hiring a bunch of white guys to be OC, DC, etc. would you make this topic?

No, because that's usually what happens in the NFL.

At any rate, don't care as long as he wins.

I didn't like Rod Marinelli hiring his daughter's husband to be DC, but if he had been a successful HC, I wouldn't have minded.

So you don't like Caldwell only looking at Black coaches for OC, DC, Assistant HC, but if he wins, your OK with it?

That's my Blueskies. Stalwart Conservative on everything but social issues. Thanks for not letting me down.

January 20th, 2014, 4:38 pm
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

BillySims wrote:
I don't think Caldwell is a stupid man. If he were hiring people only because they are black, then that would be pretty stupid.

Wanna bet if his OC is Black or not?

January 20th, 2014, 4:39 pm

The Lions are a private organization. They can do as they wish. The "conservative" position would be to let them hire on any basis they please.

On a personal level, I would be bothered if Caldwell had said, "I'm only hiring brothers to be on my staff." But that isn't what he said.

Since he's now the coach, you have to let him hire his own staff. If you were the Lion's owner would you say, "hey don't hire too many black guys. That's racist."

January 20th, 2014, 4:59 pm
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

Since Lionbackers seem to apprehensive about saying racist behavior is racist, let's make a bet.

If I win, the loser(s) has to change their signature for the next 60 days to,

"TruckinMack is my hero. I worship the ground he walks on."

If whoever bets me wins, I will change my signature to the same with their name(s) on it, instead. All names included for a single 60 day period.

The bet, I say Caldwell's OC will be someone who is socially considered 'Black or Afro-American'.

Any takers?

January 20th, 2014, 5:03 pm

Sure. I'll take that bet.

Bill Lazor, who was widely reported to be the guy until he signed with Miami, is white.

January 20th, 2014, 5:08 pm
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

Blueskies wrote:
Sure. I'll take that bet.

Bill Lazor, who was widely reported to be the guy until he signed with Miami, is white.

The bet, I say Caldwell's OC will be someone who is socially considered 'Black or Afro-American'.

Note, the bet is not what someone speculated on who might be our next OC.

Congratulations Blue on your conviction to make a bet. I'm looking forward to a pride of Lionbackers with a new signature. Should I lose, I will with almost equal joy wear a new signature myself.

January 20th, 2014, 5:22 pm
RIP Killer

He kept the washburns and bonamego, and they're whities. So because he hired a couple black dudes he (or the organization) is now racist? What a joke. I wish this was the worst of the lions problems. Is this team so putrid we have to make up BS about the organization being racist against whites now? Amazing.

January 20th, 2014, 5:59 pm
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

conversion02 wrote:
He kept the washburns and bonamego, and they're whities. So because he hired a couple black dudes he (or the organization) is now racist? What a joke. I wish this was the worst of the lions problems. Is this team so putrid we have to make up BS about the organization being racist against whites now? Amazing.

So is it a bet?

I like your typical Liberal route of faux outrage.

BTW, my question is, 'Is it racist?' Not, 'It is racist!' Are you also going full Liberal and saying that it is an outrage to even ask such a question?

You don't like being called a Liberal, but I'm not seeing Conservative logic in your posts. I see drama queen emo (aka: Liberal). Regards... and is it a bet?

January 20th, 2014, 6:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next