View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 22nd, 2014, 12:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 621 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 42  Next
 Killer's Korner 
Player of the Year - Offense

Post Re: Killer's Korner
I'm shocked actually, and I'm not upset about having to face him twice a year at all.

January 2nd, 2014, 1:14 pm
RIP Killer

UK Lion wrote:
Looks like we'll be facing Cutler twice a year for a while yet. Signed with the Bears through 2020. It'll be interesting to see how much he got.

One story I read says he is getting $18M per year for the first three years of the deal. That's a bunch of money to pay a QB who folds like a cheap chair under pressure, and can't stay healthy very much.

January 2nd, 2014, 3:12 pm
Team MVP

Quote:
The window of opportunity certainly is open for the Detroit Lions. But the question is how long it will stay that way.

Team president Tom Lewand said Monday that the Lions’ next coach will be expected to win immediately. General manager Martin Mayhew said the team is close to having the talent that will allow it to contend for titles.

But several key players, including defensive end Willie Young and tight end Brandon Pettigrew, will be free agents in 2014. Star receiver Calvin Johnson is 28 and might need knee surgery. And defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh’s contract voids after next season.

“The window of having good players is very slim,” said linebacker Stephen Tulloch, who has been on three playoff teams in eight seasons. “You’ve got to take advantage of it now. The longer you wait, that window closes. So whoever comes in here needs to take us over that hump.”

Players’ windows usually close faster than those of management, and Mayhew chose to take a myopic view of the Lions’ talent and its ability to win consistently.

“I’m focused on 2014 right now,” he said. “I’m focused on getting things right for 2014.

“I’m not going to put the cart in front of the horse and talk about how many years we can be successful. I’m focused on getting the right head coach for the future and getting this team ready for next year.”

This is something the front office has to start thinking about. If they can right Stafford's ship, we could be looking at 5-10 more years of solid QB play. But they have to surround him with the right people. That starts by looking at our aging vets and getting replacements lined up before they start to decline. That's never something Detroit has been good at. We usually wait until the guy falls off the cliff or retires. Guys like Tulloch, Sims, Houston, Dom will need to be replaced in the next 1-2 years. I'd love for Calvin to play another 10 years but in today's NFL it doesn't happen. 5 more seasons of stellar play out of him would be a gift. I think this is the year to add another #1 type WR based on where we are in the draft. If we can continue to get 3-5 young role players/starters each year like we did this year we'll be able to hold it together.

This year was great with Ziggy, Slay, Wafford, Taylor, Martin, Fauria and Waddle all playing big roles and Riddick and Williams (possibly) looking to have a part in the future.

January 2nd, 2014, 8:50 pm
RIP Killer

The way things are going, I suspect that Calvin will be a dangerous player only for another two to three seasons, IF he gets his knee surgically repaired and it heals well. If not, I give him another year and he'll go downhill quickly.

But paramount amongst the concerns has to be getting Stafford into the right mindset to play QB efficiently. I don't know what his problem is, and what it will take for him to play better, but the Lions better take whatever measures they can to make it happen. If he continues to play in 2014 like he did in 2013, this franchise is going no place, I don't care if they resurrect Vince Lombardi as the head coach.

January 2nd, 2014, 9:53 pm
Team MVP

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ing-staff/

Good for him, I wish him the best.

January 18th, 2014, 7:05 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

How do you like my new shirt?

January 22nd, 2014, 11:19 pm
RIP Killer

Hey Suh, I'm available...

Quote:
Report: Ndamukong Suh leaves agent

Ndamukong Suh has reportedly left his agent.

The Detroit Lions defensive tackle, who is entering the final year of his rookie contract, had been represented by Relativity Sports. According to Sports Business Journal, Suh has decided to leave the agency to seek new representation.

Sports Business Journal also reported that Suh can not hire another agent for at least five days.

The move comes days after both Lions team president Tom Lewand and general manager Martin Mayhew said both the club and Suh have expressed a desire for him to remain in Detroit long term.

"We have tremendous respect for Ndamukong and I think we've expressed to him an interest in him being here and he's expressed an interest in staying here," Lewand said last week. "We'll see where that takes us and what the timing of that is.

"But he stopped by today to see coach [Jim] Caldwell and I think he's another guy who can benefit from the leadership that Jim is going to bring and the staff that he's going to come up with."

Suh is scheduled to make $22.4 million against the Lions' cap next season and will have a base actual salary of $12.55 million. He is currently at the Pro Bowl in Hawaii, where he was the first defensive tackle picked in the Pro Bowl draft.

Mayhew told reporters at the Senior Bowl this week that they hope to get an extension done for Suh and that if they did, it would give Detroit more flexibility under the cap during free agency. But if they can't get a deal done by then, the Lions will still be able to make moves during the open market period.

Suh made 49 tackles with 5.5 sacks last season.

January 23rd, 2014, 2:29 pm
Profile WWW
Team MVP

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... ive.com%29

Uh oh.

January 31st, 2014, 11:35 pm

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2014/01/report_ndamukong_suh_was_uncon.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+detroit-lions+%28Detroit+Lions+-+MLive.com%29

Uh oh.

I saw this. Very strange--there was a similar story that came out of the blue last year. I'm suspicious because it goes against everything I've heard about Suh, especially this past season. And regardless of what you think of Schwartz, do we really believe Gunther or Washburn Sr. would've put up with that nonsense? Doubtful.

January 31st, 2014, 11:40 pm
Player of the Year - Offense

Anonymous sources from Evans is always eye rolling. He's a joke.

February 1st, 2014, 1:12 am
QB Coach

This stuff is so stupid. Why is it always anonymous or former teammates bashing Suh, while the people who will put their names to it back him up? Here's a response article saying that Suh wasn't late to any meetings and didn't act out. [url]bit.ly/1kqDklI[/url]

This just reminds me of the article posted on Grantland about this type of stuff with him: http://grantland.com/features/a-13-step-guide-trashing-ndamukong-suh-nfl-most-eloquent-incendiary-bad-guy/

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

February 1st, 2014, 7:44 am
Team MVP

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2014/2/1/ ... mukong-suh

And now debunked apparently. Who knows what to believe but from everything I've heard about Suh in the past I didn't want to think the first "report" was true.

February 2nd, 2014, 12:19 am
QB Coach

Suh posted this on Twitter. I'm glad to see he's saying something about it.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

February 12th, 2014, 3:15 am

WOO HOOOOO!!!!!

February 20th, 2014, 10:36 am
Hall of Fame Player

With this news, I let Suh play out this year at $22 Million this year. Next year we use a 1st round tender transition tag on him.

February 20th, 2014, 2:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 621 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 42  Next