View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 28th, 2014, 6:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Best Super Bowl Commercials 2014 
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

Post Best Super Bowl Commercials 2014
My two favorite Super Bowl commercials have received very little attention.

1) Radio Shack did an excellent review of the 80's, complete with Mary Lou Retton, Hulk Hogan, the Singing Raisins and a slew of other 80's icons. They also used this to drive home the point that Radio Shack has upgraded its image. Well done.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUwwZHdx6SU

The #2 commercial? Hands down it was Newcastle with Anna Kendrick, (which was only on the Internet). The last 15 seconds were awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g9wXBkdWEg

Blueskies is my hero. I worship the ground he walks on.

February 3rd, 2014, 2:09 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Best Super Bowl Commercials 2014
overall, just like the last few years, very disappointed with the commercials. 80's throwback was fun, liked the Chevy Bull commercial and the Doritos time travel ad. But even those were not that great. I miss the old days for SB commercials, problem back then was the games were more like yesterdays - often blowouts.

February 3rd, 2014, 2:15 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

Can anyone explain to me why the huge outcry over the Coke commercial? I've read it because the song wasn't sung wholly in English. Really? There MUST be more to it than that, right? ](*,)

That said, my favs would prolly be, in no particular order:
Chevy Cancer awareness
Coke one mentioned above
Radio Shack 80s - Awesome to see all those characters again, albeit for a short time
Anheuser Busch tribute to Solders & puppy
Tim Tebow in the NoContract (TMobile) commercials

February 4th, 2014, 10:55 am
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

TheRealWags wrote:
Can anyone explain to me why the huge outcry over the Coke commercial? I've read it because the song wasn't sung wholly in English. Really? There MUST be more to it than that, right?

I get it. This is America. Speak English. I'm not so much outraged as I am peevish whenever a major company promotes Leftist ideas (that being America is or should be multilingual).

My grandfather and grandmother came over from Poland with their three sons. They went through Ellis Island and legally became American citizens. My mother was born here, and was raised fluent in Polish and English. After my mom and her younger brother, virtually none of the first born American children in this family spoke Polish. We were taught English because in America you spoke English and my Polish immigrant family was very proud to have become Americans.

Last summer I had a patient (who looked Hispanic and was fluent in English and Spanish) bring with him his 8 year old granddaughter and his wife (who also looked Hispanic). During treatment we needed to count to ten, at which point I asked the little girl if she could count to ten in Spanish. She looked at me and shook her head no. I turned to grandma and said, 'I think you might have a little work to do teaching her Spanish.' Grandma laughed and said, 'Don't look at me. My parents wouldn't teach me Spanish. I'm American. I was born in St. Louis.'

Both of these stories nicely show the mindset of so many immigrants who come here and want to legally become US citizens.

February 4th, 2014, 1:10 pm
Modmin Dude

TruckinMack wrote:
I'm not so much outraged as I am peevish whenever a major company promotes Leftist ideas (that being America is or should be multilingual).
Pardon my ignorance, but how exactly was that commercial pushing anything? IMO perhaps the perceived agenda of this (and other) ads is likely more a matter of interpretation.

For example, you want to know what I thought while watching the commercial and after thinking on it?

1st impression: Got choked up hearing 'America the Beautiful' in a commercial. As it continued, hearing it in different languages reminded me of the melting pot this Country was meant to be; the pride in me swelled.

Thought after the ad: Loved it, Love my Country, and Love my fellow brothers and sisters.

After thinking on it: Don't understand the outrage, hence my post.

Now: Still don't understand the outrage.

Final thought on the ad: Still love it, Love my Country, and Love my fellow brothers and sisters.

February 4th, 2014, 1:48 pm
Pro Bowl Player

I understand people's outrage, in that I understand that people are stupid.

Coke is the defining American exporting company. Right up there with McDonald's and Disney in terms of exporting our culture/products to foreigners.

February 4th, 2014, 2:05 pm
RIP Killer

Coke is a multinational company, they sell there product in many countries with close to two-thirds of their sales taking place outside of the US..

The US is basically a multinational country. We were founded (let's leave out the natives for argument sake and also the Norse expeditions) by an Italian, sailing for Spain since Portugal wouldn't fund him. We later had English and French claims made on the land here. Yet hearing those languages in a commercial for an event that gets worldwide attention causes people to get upset. I wonder if it was released in the World Cup later this year if it would have caused even a ripple (perhaps the Olympics as well).

English should be the language that connects us all here in that great country, but we should also honor our own personal heritages including the culture and language.

I studied English, Spanish, French and German growing up. Guess I'm anti-USA.

Ok, gotta run to the loo (one of the many English terms that few Americans use), hasta luego, au revoir, and auf wiedersehen. Or as the biggest enemies of the State might say during the time I was studying those languages, desvidanyah (my soccer coach in HS was Russian).

February 4th, 2014, 2:50 pm
Profile WWW
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

Blueskies wrote:
I understand people's outrage, in that I understand that people are stupid.
As every Liberal ever, be insulting. Thanks, and never stop posting. You are a poster child for the Left.

February 4th, 2014, 3:01 pm
Pro Bowl Player

I don't think racism and xenophobia are defensible, or even empathizable, positions. Sorry. If you were offended by the Coke commercial, you're simply a bad person and need to change yourself.

February 4th, 2014, 3:14 pm
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

TheRealWags wrote:
Pardon my ignorance, but how exactly was that commercial pushing anything? IMO perhaps the perceived agenda of this (and other) ads is likely more a matter of interpretation.
If you don't see the commercial as encouraging multi-lingualism in America, then further discussion is irrelevant.

TheRealWags wrote:
For example, you want to know what I thought while watching the commercial and after thinking on it?
Nope. I didn't ask, but I'm glad you like a commercial.

TheRealWags wrote:
Now: Still don't understand the outrage.
Of course you understand the irritation with America being shown as multilingual, you just disagree that people are irritated. I disagree with you finding joy in it, but I certainly understand why you do.

TheRealWags wrote:
Final thought on the ad: Still love it, Love my Country, and Love my fellow brothers and sisters.
Ummm, still peevish, love my country and love my brothers and sisters. I've no idea why you included those last two, but we have common ground so Hooah.

February 4th, 2014, 3:22 pm
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

Blueskies wrote:
I don't think racism and xenophobia are defensible, or even empathizable, positions. Sorry. If you were offended by the Coke commercial, you're simply a bad person and need to change yourself.
Racist, Xenophobic, and Bad? I'm giggling myself silly. It is amazing how Liberals think. Do you actually believe these things you write or is it like a binky. It makes you feel better to say them? (Suck, suck, suck.) Still, never stop posting. You are a poster child for the Left.

February 4th, 2014, 3:27 pm
Modmin Dude

TruckinMack wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
If you don't see the commercial as encouraging multi-lingualism in America, then further discussion is irrelevant.
Agreed; unless of course you'd care to explain your side.

February 4th, 2014, 3:33 pm
Pro Bowl Player

I consider taxation theft, want to abolish SS/Medicare, welfare programs and shrink the government as much as possible. Total lefty, I am.

My positions represent the only hope conservative ideology has to survive. Playing to the fears of old white men and ignorant southerners isn't a winning strategy.

February 4th, 2014, 3:34 pm
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

Blueskies wrote:
I consider taxation theft, want to abolish SS/Medicare, welfare programs and shrink the government as much as possible. Total lefty, I am.

My positions represent the only hope conservative ideology has to survive. Playing to the fears of old white men and ignorant southerners isn't a winning strategy.
You are small 'c' conservative on economic and maybe constitutional issues. Name 5 Conservative social issues and maybe I won't consider you a rabid Liberal. That you cannot stop yourself from insulting Conservatives, even in a post when you are trying (like all Liberals) to say that you are not a Liberal is hilarity. Frighten, Old, White Men? Ignorant Southerners? Awesome. Poster Child for the Left. Please, please keep posting. You are silliness personified.

Dear RNC, are you paying attention? Do not follow the advice of the typical Liberal BS and his ilk. He hates you and wants you to lose, and if by any chance you win, he wants you to win with a Liberal. Give me a hard core, driven Conservative and the White House is yours.

Dear DNC, please run Hillary. Regards.

February 4th, 2014, 4:14 pm
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

TheRealWags wrote:
TruckinMack wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
Agreed; unless of course you'd care to explain your side.
Już to zrobiłem. Najwyraźniej nie rozumiesz po angielsku ... lub po prostu nie chcą.

February 4th, 2014, 4:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next