View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 17th, 2014, 9:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Riding the Pine 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Riding the Pine
I admit that I am a Joey hater, but I don't think everything is his fault. He got thrown in in a bad situation when he was a rookie that might have scarred him. We Lions fans are tough on quaterbacks, with good reaons, Batch, Mitchell, exctera. If I were a coach, I would not let a rookie QB start in any situation whatsoever unless the first two were injuried. Look at Steve McNair, Billy Volek, Dante Culpepper, ?Carson Palmer?, Tom Brady. These players didn't touch the pigskin during their rookie season. They devoloped and learned the offense without the fans and the press breathing down their necks. Look at Eli Manning. He stunck up the place during his starts. That can't be good for a Quaterback. Of course, then we wouldn't be able to see Ben R. or Dan Marino soon, but they are special people.

January 13th, 2005, 9:36 am
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

It certainly is a tough position for any rookie. Ben is definately the benifactor of a pretty good team around him to include a really, really good defense.

January 13th, 2005, 10:30 am
RIP Killer

It all comes down to the situation. In some of the cases, there was already an established QB in place when the rookie came in. In other cases, the team may have had a shot at the playoffs (or thought they did at the start of the season).

In Joey's case, there was no established QB in Detroit and the team wasn't going anywhere. I don't have a problem with the fact that they started him his rookie year. In addition, the Lions protected him pretty well - he was the least sacked QB his first 2 years - unlike David Carr who was getting killed. I don't think it hurt Joey's development.

In this day of free agency, when we expect QBs to be at Pro Bowl form by year 3 and teams are spending lots of $ on 1st round picks (not to mention fans screaming for top picks to play) - first year QBs are going to be tossed into action.

January 13th, 2005, 10:38 am
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

January 13th, 2005, 10:39 am
Modmin Dude

In addition, the Lions protected him pretty well - he was the least sacked QB his first 2 years
That's because he got rid of the ball (threw away) too quickly, in most cases.

Joe Fauria, MVP!

January 13th, 2005, 10:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]