View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 2:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 2014 Coaching Staff 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: 2014 Coaching Staff
kdsberman wrote:
DJ-B wrote:
100% agreed. Fauria is an enigma and a rare TE. hes not a Speed/Route Running TE you Split out wide, and he isnt a good Blocker. Essentially he is a Short Yardage TE, without the threat to block. Redzone and 3rd Down and 10 or less are where he can shine, and its why he does not normally get a lot of playtime. He will never be the speed guy, but if he can improve his blocking and strength, he could become a full time player and completely replace Pett. Question is, do we want to rely on that? IMO No. Id be totally fine with bringing in some competition, or even drafting someone like CJ Fiedorowitz (sp?) from Iowa who is basically Pett all over again, but with a lower grade. Comes form a school known for producing nfl OL as well, so he can block.

Agree with this. Id like the Lions to look at Austin Seferian-Jenkins. He really is a good player. Can catch, run great routes, and can block.

Pat Kirwan thinks Fiedorowitz is the next Gronk.

January 25th, 2014, 9:51 am
Div 1 - Starter

fauria has the speed graham has. graham isnt that fast and doesnt run great routes, he is just a big body te that uses his size to "box out" defenders or go up high and get the ball. Anybody who thinks jimmy graham has a lot of speed doesnt obviously watch too many saints games and are just going off reputation.

January 25th, 2014, 3:22 pm
NFL Veteran

vankman79 wrote:
fauria has the speed graham has. graham isnt that fast and doesnt run great routes, he is just a big body te that uses his size to "box out" defenders or go up high and get the ball. Anybody who thinks jimmy graham has a lot of speed doesnt obviously watch too many saints games and are just going off reputation.

Graham ran an electronic timed 4.56 40 at the NFL combine at 260lbs. The guy is way above average in the speed department for a TE. Fauria ran 4.7-4.8 at the UCLA pro day which are always hand timed and usually biased towards the schools players. Fauria is plenty quick for his size and a very solid rookie but he does not compare to the rare type of athlete that Jimmy Graham is.

January 25th, 2014, 3:57 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Quote:
Report: Lions hire Prince as WR coach
By The Sports Xchange 2 hours ago

The Detroit Lions hired Boise State offensive coordinator Robert Prince as their new wide receivers coach, Fox Sports reported Saturday.

Prince coached receivers the last three years for Boise State and served as offensive coordinator in 2012-13.

Prince previously worked six seasons in the NFL with the Atlanta Falcons, Jacksonville Jaguars and Seattle Seahawks.

He will join new Lions coach Jim Caldwell's staff.

January 25th, 2014, 7:02 pm
Pop Warner Vet

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Ok I can get behind that. We're gonna need a big time TE and a #1b WR.

I don't think they could've done better with the OC hire. Better than Tressel who ran a vanilla offense. This staff is coming together nicely, I am excited to see how the players respond.

January 27th, 2014, 12:51 pm
Modmin Dude

February 13th, 2014, 9:10 am
Rookie Player of the Year

TheRealWags wrote:

I'm comfortable with this. I remember reading that it was Gun's research that led us to going after big DEs like Ansah and Taylor.

February 13th, 2014, 11:45 am
Modmin Dude

More on Gun:
MLive wrote:
Gunther Cunningham will work with Detroit Lions coaching staff and front office
Print Justin Rogers | jrogers@mlive.com By Justin Rogers | jrogers@mlive.com
on February 14, 2014 at 9:15 AM, updated February 14, 2014 at 9:17 AM

It was announced this week the Detroit Lions are keeping former defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham on staff as a senior coaching assistant, but it was unclear what his role would be based only on the title.

In comments posted on the team's official website Thursday, Cunningham shed some light on what his new position entails.

On the coaching side, Cunningham will assist in game planning. But in a unique twist, he'll work with both sides of the ball.

"I talked with (defensive coordinator Teryl Austin) about what he wanted, and then when I talked to Jim (Caldwell) the second or third time, he asked me about the offense," Cunningham said. "He could see the smile on my face.

"One thing a defensive coach knows about is offense. That's what offensive coaches try to dissect and hopefully I can be of help to (new offensive coordinator) Joe (Lombardi) in that area, and Jim himself."

Cunningham has more than four decades of coaching experience. His weekly preparation combines traditional film study with a new-school approach of studying and analyzing advanced metrics.

"All I'm trying to do is lend my experience and my background and what I've seen and what I think when I look on tape," he said.

In addition to working with the coaching staff, Cunningham will also have an expanded role with the front office, assisting with research for both free agency and the upcoming NFL draft.

Cunningham is diligent when it comes to preparing for the draft. According to the team's website, he produced nine times as many pre-combine reports as the other coaches on staff last year.

"I think my long talks with Martin (Mayhew) over the last four or five years obviously paid off on my behalf," Cunningham said. "I'm going to be involved in that and that's exciting."

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... lio_3.html

February 14th, 2014, 11:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3