View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 12:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Lewan in the 1st? 
Rookie Player of the Year

Post Lewan in the 1st?
A disclaimer to begin: I know the offensive line was surprisingly good last year. I know they like Waddle and he backed up their confidence in him with his play.

BUT Mayhew has stated that he loves drafting offensive and defensive linemen. Getting Lewan at 10 would represent tremendous value. He could be your starting LT right away and you could move Reiff over to RT. Waddle could be the swing tackle, which would save us the money we're spending on Hilliard. Thoughts?

February 13th, 2014, 12:32 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Lewan in the 1st?
First, I don't think Lewan at #10 is great value since that is about where I have him ranked. I have him as the 3rd OT off the board, likely going between the 10-15 pick range.

Second, as you pointed out the Lions had good OL play last year which including a rookie RT and 2nd year LT. The need at this spot is very small compared to other team needs.

Third, from a money perspective you are dumping Hilliard but replacing that with a top 10 contract?

Fourth, did you watch the State game? When the going got tough Lewan showed his true colors.

Fifth, then there is the Michigan homer over evaluation bias possibly at work here.

Other than that, I'm onboard with it... :D

February 13th, 2014, 12:49 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I am a Michigan fan, and think this would be a bad choice for the Lions at this point. I Think Lewan can be good in the Pros, but it would be a wasted 1st rounder to me. For once "We need an impact Player" isnt just because "most fans" dont like drafting lineman, its because we need an impact player. CB, WR, or OLB that can Rush the Passer.

February 13th, 2014, 2:44 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Hall of Fame Player

No Michigan bias for Lewan. I think he blows.

February 13th, 2014, 2:46 pm
Team MVP

I dont want Lewan. Used to. But like Pablo said, the MSU game showed his colors. Calhoun owned him in that game, which shouldnt have happened by a top ranked senior LT. He's dirty too. We dont need any more of that. Let some other team have him.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

February 13th, 2014, 3:12 pm
RIP Killer

I can't help but picture Robert gallery when I think of Lewan....

February 17th, 2014, 11:39 pm
RIP Killer

Apparently Peter King agrees with you...

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/02/24/johnny-ma ... terback/4/

Quote:
1.Houston: Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida.
2.St. Louis: Greg Robinson, T, Auburn.
3.Jacksonville: Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina.
4.Cleveland: Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville.
5.Oakland: Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M.
6.Atlanta: Jake Matthews, T, Texas A&M.
7.Tampa Bay: Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo.
8.Minnesota: Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA.
9.Buffalo: Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson.
10.Detroit: Taylor Lewan, T, Michigan.

February 25th, 2014, 10:22 am
Profile WWW

I think you guys are all spot on. But this goes a bit to making OT a possibility in the first:

Quote:
Detroit Lions comfortable at right tackle with LaAdrian Waddle, Corey Hilliard, but open to upgrade
Kyle Meinke | kmeinke@mlive.com By Kyle Meinke | kmeinke@mlive.com
on February 25, 2014 at 4:59 AM

The Lions are prepared to go into next season with LaAdrian Waddle as their right tackle. But they won't shy from seeking an upgrade, either.
Mike Mulholland | MLive.com

INDIANAPOLIS -- LaAdrian Waddle says he wants to compete for the Detroit Lions' starting job at right tackle, and the club appears set to afford him that opportunity.
Waddle began last season as Detroit's No. 3 right tackle, but he ascended into the starting lineup in Week 8 after Jason Fox and Corey Hilliard suffered knee injuries. He dominated that week against the Cowboys, and continued to play well enough to maintain the position even as Fox and Hilliard returned to health.
His play regressed some after he suffered an elbow injury against Philadelphia in Week 14, but he showed enough in his eight starts that Detroit is comfortable heading into 2014 with him and Hilliard as the right tackles.

"I'd feel very comfortable," Lions general manager Martin Mahew said last week. "They both played really good football for us last year. Waddle got hurt with an elbow, and his play kind of ticked down at that point when that happened. But he was playing really good football before that happened. Corey was playing great before he got injured too.

"Both of those guys are quality players on our offensive line and we wouldn't shy away at all from putting those guys on the field. I feel comfortable with those guys out there."

And yet, the Lions won't avoid doing their due diligence at the position either. If they have a chance to add someone better in free agency or the draft, they will.
Texas A&M's Jake Matthews, Auburn's Greg Robinson and Michigan's Taylor Lewan are the top three tackles in the draft, and considered by NFL Network's Mike Mayock to be even better than the three tackles who went in the top four picks overall of last year's draft.

If one were to somehow fall to No. 10, the Lions -- known for taking the best player available, regardless of position -- would have to heavily consider selecting him.
"If you can upgrade that position, I think you have to look into that," Mayhew said.

Waddle was held out of the season finale against Minnesota because of the elbow, but he told MLive he won't require surgery and doesn't expect to miss any time in the
offseason program due to the injury.

And he was clear that he expects to compete for that starting job in training camp.

"I came a long ways, from just trying to make the team, to making it, to eventually starting," Waddle said as he cleared out his locker for the offseason. "It's been a long journey, it's exciting, and I'm just trying to make the most of my opportunities.

"Hopefully next year's a little bigger."

Fox is an unrestricted free agent. He has battled multiple injuries since Detroit took him out of Miami in the fourth round of the 2010 draft and his future here is uncertain.
Hilliard started seven games last year before losing his spot to Waddle. He has one year left on his deal and will be an unrestricted free agent in 2015.

© 2014 MLive.com. All rights reserved.

February 25th, 2014, 10:45 am
Heisman Winner

Seriously overrated and that coming from a true blue fan of 35+ years. I think he got annointed as the second coming of Jake Long, Hutch, Backus, and Jansen because he looked the part but was never physical enough or mentally tough enough to earn it.

February 25th, 2014, 2:34 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

thelomasbrowns wrote:
I think you guys are all spot on. But this goes a bit to making OT a possibility in the first:

Quote:
Detroit Lions comfortable at right tackle with LaAdrian Waddle, Corey Hilliard, but open to upgrade
Kyle Meinke | kmeinke@mlive.com By Kyle Meinke | kmeinke@mlive.com
on February 25, 2014 at 4:59 AM

The Lions are prepared to go into next season with LaAdrian Waddle as their right tackle. But they won't shy from seeking an upgrade, either.
Mike Mulholland | MLive.com

INDIANAPOLIS -- LaAdrian Waddle says he wants to compete for the Detroit Lions' starting job at right tackle, and the club appears set to afford him that opportunity.
Waddle began last season as Detroit's No. 3 right tackle, but he ascended into the starting lineup in Week 8 after Jason Fox and Corey Hilliard suffered knee injuries. He dominated that week against the Cowboys, and continued to play well enough to maintain the position even as Fox and Hilliard returned to health.
His play regressed some after he suffered an elbow injury against Philadelphia in Week 14, but he showed enough in his eight starts that Detroit is comfortable heading into 2014 with him and Hilliard as the right tackles.

"I'd feel very comfortable," Lions general manager Martin Mahew said last week. "They both played really good football for us last year. Waddle got hurt with an elbow, and his play kind of ticked down at that point when that happened. But he was playing really good football before that happened. Corey was playing great before he got injured too.

"Both of those guys are quality players on our offensive line and we wouldn't shy away at all from putting those guys on the field. I feel comfortable with those guys out there."

And yet, the Lions won't avoid doing their due diligence at the position either. If they have a chance to add someone better in free agency or the draft, they will.
Texas A&M's Jake Matthews, Auburn's Greg Robinson and Michigan's Taylor Lewan are the top three tackles in the draft, and considered by NFL Network's Mike Mayock to be even better than the three tackles who went in the top four picks overall of last year's draft.

If one were to somehow fall to No. 10, the Lions -- known for taking the best player available, regardless of position -- would have to heavily consider selecting him.
"If you can upgrade that position, I think you have to look into that," Mayhew said.

Waddle was held out of the season finale against Minnesota because of the elbow, but he told MLive he won't require surgery and doesn't expect to miss any time in the
offseason program due to the injury.

And he was clear that he expects to compete for that starting job in training camp.

"I came a long ways, from just trying to make the team, to making it, to eventually starting," Waddle said as he cleared out his locker for the offseason. "It's been a long journey, it's exciting, and I'm just trying to make the most of my opportunities.

"Hopefully next year's a little bigger."

Fox is an unrestricted free agent. He has battled multiple injuries since Detroit took him out of Miami in the fourth round of the 2010 draft and his future here is uncertain.
Hilliard started seven games last year before losing his spot to Waddle. He has one year left on his deal and will be an unrestricted free agent in 2015.

© 2014 MLive.com. All rights reserved.

I'm all for the Lions adding to the tackle position. Just not in the 1st round. Deep tackle group in this years draft, and I feel the Lions should add to the group. We are one injury away from being deficient at the position. They lucked out with Waddle, or maybe they have FINALLY begun to identify NFL talent.

February 25th, 2014, 8:57 pm
RIP Killer

Just because you run a TE 40 and have sown good individual drills doesn't mean you should shoot up the boards. Same crap happens every year with guys like Troy Williamson, Darius hey ward-bey and Matt jones

February 27th, 2014, 12:16 am

Call me crazy, but I still think Lewan will be the pick if he's there and we don't trade.

May 8th, 2014, 12:05 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Call me crazy, but I still think Lewan will be the pick if he's there and we don't trade.

Your crazy! Sorry couldn't resist. Actually would be an intelligent pick IMO, and I'm not a M fan. Keeping Staff clean in the pocket is of the utmost importance to making our O go.

May 8th, 2014, 4:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]