View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 21st, 2014, 12:21 am



Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Justice Thomas - an adult talking about race 
Author Message
Lionbacker Rehab Guru
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2006, 9:08 pm
Posts: 1194
Post Justice Thomas - an adult talking about race
Quote:
Justice Thomas - “My sadness is that we are probably today more race and difference-conscious than I was in the 1960s when I went to school. To my knowledge, I was the first black kid in Savannah, Georgia, to go to a white school. Rarely did the issue of race come up,” Thomas said during a chapel service hosted by the nondenominational Christian university. “Now, name a day it doesn’t come up. Differences in race, differences in sex, somebody doesn’t look at you right, somebody says something. Everybody is sensitive. If I had been as sensitive as that in the 1960s, I’d still be in Savannah. Every person in this room has endured a slight. Every person. Somebody has said something that has hurt their feelings or did something to them — left them out.

Throughout his career, Thomas said, he has experienced more instances of discrimination and poor treatment in the North than the South.

“The worst I have been treated was by northern liberal elites. The absolute worst I have ever been treated,” Thomas said. “The worst things that have been done to me, the worst things that have been said about me, by northern liberal elites, not by the people of Savannah, Georgia.”


Oddly, it was during the nomination for Justice Thomas when I completely dumped my support for the women's movement. Some hafl-wit feminist charged me with hate for women or something because I did not want Thomas shot for molesting Anita Hill... which, of course, never happened. It didn't matter to her that Anita Hill stayed with Justice Thomas voluntarily throughout her career. He was guilty because she (Anita) said so. His worst crime? Making a joke about pubic hairs on a can of soda. I accept this probably happened and at worst thought it a lame joke. Anita/NOW/Menstruating Democrats (men and women alike) considered it a hate crime.

Then years later, this same outraged feminist did not find it disturbing in the least the President Clinton sexually molested the mouth of one of his interns.

http://news.yahoo.com/clarence-thomas-on-race-194104252.html;_ylt=AuoMLTP8ZaHJSx2YW58GCsfQtDMD;_ylu=X3oDMTBsbzR0bHJyBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMyBHNlYwNzcg--

_________________
01/21/14:Blueskies may emote like a 14 year old girl, but he had the stones to take a bet no other Lionbacker would take. For that he has my total admiration.

Blueskies is my hero. I worship the ground he walks on.


February 13th, 2014, 10:54 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9388
Location: Dallas
Post Re: Justice Thomas - an adult talking about race
Of course it comes up more today. First, we are much more comfortable talking about it. Second, I believe there has been a few changes in the media since the 1960's. I could be wrong however, let me go back and check my 1963 internet archives, cable and satellite program guides from back then, etc. and double check.

BTW Mr. Thomas, I've lived in both the North and the South and you are right that there is a difference. Folks in the North are more apt to be straight with you, the folks in the South will come across as super sweet to you but their much more heightened prejudices will come out the moment you are out of listening range. So while your observations don't surprise me, the way in which you context these conversations are all wrong.

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


February 13th, 2014, 1:00 pm
Profile WWW
Lionbacker Rehab Guru
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2006, 9:08 pm
Posts: 1194
Post Re: Justice Thomas - an adult talking about race
Pablo wrote:
Of course it comes up more today. First, we are much more comfortable talking about it. Second, I believe there has been a few changes in the media since the 1960's. I could be wrong however, let me go back and check my 1963 internet archives, cable and satellite program guides from back then, etc. and double check.

BTW Mr. Thomas, I've lived in both the North and the South and you are right that there is a difference. Folks in the North are more apt to be straight with you, the folks in the South will come across as super sweet to you but their much more heightened prejudices will come out the moment you are out of listening range. So while your observations don't surprise me, the way in which you context these conversations are all wrong.
Telling a Conservative Black man he is wrong? Your social Liberalism is peeking out. I'm shocked! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjbPi00k_ME

Let me check the 60's wayback machine. I clearly remember we had this huge peace, love, hand holding lets hug each other fest. Now I hear our Vice President saying, 'They want to put y'all in chains. I see Al Sharpton calling a Hispanic 'White' because he wants to inflame hatred. I see punk inner city 'Knock out' games, that the Left completely ignores. In the 1960's we fought against racism. in the 2000's Liberals encourage it. The difference, in the 60's we were united against racism. In the 00's we have a tolerance and encouragement for racism, specifically Black on White racism. In the 60's we had hope. In the 00's we have cynicism, greed and lust. It is much worse with the Liberals in charge of the media.

_________________
01/21/14:Blueskies may emote like a 14 year old girl, but he had the stones to take a bet no other Lionbacker would take. For that he has my total admiration.

Blueskies is my hero. I worship the ground he walks on.


February 13th, 2014, 1:31 pm
Profile
Lionbacker Rehab Guru
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2006, 9:08 pm
Posts: 1194
Post Re: Justice Thomas - an adult talking about race
And then, almost by magic, some f--ked in the head far left Liberal Democrat says,

Quote:
Rep. Alvin Holmes, D-Montgomery, just said on House floor that he doesn't like Clarence Thomas because "he's married to a white woman."


http://www.caintv.com/democrat-legislator-in-alabama

When given a chance to clarify his remarks...

Quote:
Alvin Thomas - "Supreme CourtJustice Clarence Thomas can add another insult to the list of things “liberal elites” have attacked him for: his marriage to a white woman.

When reached for comment by a reporter for the Anniston Star, Mr. Holmes said he was misinterpreted, but added that Justice Thomas was an “Uncle Tom,” the National Review reported.

“I said some people might say I didn’t like him because he was married to a white woman,” Mr. Holmes told the Anniston Star, before including the “Uncle Tom” addendum."


Yes, for clarification let me say that other people might think I don't like that Uncle Tom marrying a White woman, though I am not going to deny it.

Quote:
Holmes made comment about Justice Thomas during debate about land surveying bill. Claimed Thomas was a failed surveyor before law school...
... and after adjournment, Holmes acknowledged that he made that up, to make sure the comments were considered on-topic.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/37 ... -calls-him

_________________
01/21/14:Blueskies may emote like a 14 year old girl, but he had the stones to take a bet no other Lionbacker would take. For that he has my total admiration.

Blueskies is my hero. I worship the ground he walks on.


February 13th, 2014, 1:47 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9388
Location: Dallas
Post Re: Justice Thomas - an adult talking about race
TruckinMack wrote:
Telling a Conservative Black man he is wrong? Your social Liberalism is peeking out. I'm shocked! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjbPi00k_ME

Let me check the 60's wayback machine. I clearly remember we had this huge peace, love, hand holding lets hug each other fest. Now I hear our Vice President saying, 'They want to put y'all in chains. I see Al Sharpton calling a Hispanic 'White' because he wants to inflame hatred. I see punk inner city 'Knock out' games, that the Left completely ignores. In the 1960's we fought against racism. in the 2000's Liberals encourage it. The difference, in the 60's we were united against racism. In the 00's we have a tolerance and encouragement for racism, specifically Black on White racism. In the 60's we had hope. In the 00's we have cynicism, greed and lust. It is much worse with the Liberals in charge of the media.


Boy you like to distort don't you. How did MLK Jr fare in the 1960 with his message of peace? Could one ever imagine a black president at the time? Jim Crow laws were still in effect for half of the decade. How many black managers were there in football, baseball, or basketball in the 60's. How was interracial marriage viewed?

Yes we still see many examples of racism alive today and will for some time, but to say things are worse now is just ignorant.

BTW - your implying my answer was geared to this question because it was made by a conservative black man is insulting. You must know me well enough to know that if was made by a liberal white man I would have answered differently.

Now what I find very interesting in your comments is "specifically Black on White racism" since honestly I've rarely noticed it (perhaps outside of some voting results). I'm not really sure how that manifests itself, but it is a very thought provoking statement for me, let me put some thought into that but I'd love to hear more from your perspective TM on the subject.

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


February 13th, 2014, 3:43 pm
Profile WWW
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 13th, 2007, 12:43 pm
Posts: 2631
Post Re: Justice Thomas - an adult talking about race
To write that race relations were better in the 1960s than they are today -- that's seriously one of the dumbest things I've ever read in my entire life. SMH.

I wonder how many votes George Wallace would get today.


February 13th, 2014, 3:50 pm
Profile
Lionbacker Rehab Guru
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2006, 9:08 pm
Posts: 1194
Post Re: Justice Thomas - an adult talking about race
I am surprised nobody see's the horror of Black on White racism as being a problem swept under the rug. Are you all such die hard, head stuck in a hole that the only thing racism means to you is White on Black racism? If so, this is one sick, twisted group.

_________________
01/21/14:Blueskies may emote like a 14 year old girl, but he had the stones to take a bet no other Lionbacker would take. For that he has my total admiration.

Blueskies is my hero. I worship the ground he walks on.


February 13th, 2014, 7:28 pm
Profile
Lionbacker Rehab Guru
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2006, 9:08 pm
Posts: 1194
Post Re: Justice Thomas - an adult talking about race
Pablo wrote:
Yes we still see many examples of racism alive today and will for some time, but to say things are worse now is just ignorant.
The difference in the 60's is that society was proudly, boldly, lovingly against White on Black racism, and still is. Unfortunately the Liberals are encouraging and promoting Black on White racism.

You asked for examples. Were these not examples?
Quote:
Now I hear our Vice President saying, 'They want to put y'all in chains. I see Al Sharpton calling a Hispanic 'White' because he wants to inflame hatred. I see punk inner city 'Knock out' games, that the Left completely ignores. In the 1960's we fought against racism. in the 2000's Liberals encourage it. The difference, in the 60's we were united against racism. In the 00's we have a tolerance and encouragement for racism, specifically Black on White racism. In the 60's we had hope. In the 00's we have cynicism, greed and lust. It is much worse with the Liberals in charge of the media.

_________________
01/21/14:Blueskies may emote like a 14 year old girl, but he had the stones to take a bet no other Lionbacker would take. For that he has my total admiration.

Blueskies is my hero. I worship the ground he walks on.


February 13th, 2014, 7:33 pm
Profile
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3733
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Justice Thomas - an adult talking about race
TruckinMack wrote:
Pablo wrote:
Yes we still see many examples of racism alive today and will for some time, but to say things are worse now is just ignorant.
The difference in the 60's is that society was proudly, boldly, lovingly against White on Black racism, and still is. Unfortunately the Liberals are encouraging and promoting Black on White racism.

You asked for examples. Were these not examples?
Quote:
Now I hear our Vice President saying, 'They want to put y'all in chains. I see Al Sharpton calling a Hispanic 'White' because he wants to inflame hatred. I see punk inner city 'Knock out' games, that the Left completely ignores. In the 1960's we fought against racism. in the 2000's Liberals encourage it. The difference, in the 60's we were united against racism. In the 00's we have a tolerance and encouragement for racism, specifically Black on White racism. In the 60's we had hope. In the 00's we have cynicism, greed and lust. It is much worse with the Liberals in charge of the media.


Let's see...in the 60's you had the country fighting a useless and arguably illegal "war". You had a decade where there were more race riots than any other decade in US history. You had the murder of MLK, and JFK.

You honestly think the hippy movement outweighs those tragic moments of horrific American history? Things are not perfect today....far from it. But to compare those days to today and think we're worse off today is just madness.

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


February 13th, 2014, 10:06 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.