View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 4:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Early Prospect want list. 
Team MVP

Post Re: Early Prospect want list.
First, does anyone know what kind of defense Teryl Austin is going to bring to Detroit? 4-3 I know, but what scheme any way?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 18th, 2014, 4:48 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

I know we have other guys with a similar profile, but I'd like to see us use a late pick on Gallen.

January 19th, 2014, 11:24 pm

kdsberman wrote:
First, does anyone know what kind of defense Teryl Austin is going to bring to Detroit? 4-3 I know, but what scheme any way?

Early indications are a 4-3 with some 'exotic' blitzes thrown into the mix. Having a linebacker who can rush the passer is probably going to be a priority.

January 19th, 2014, 11:26 pm
QB Coach

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... _seni.html

Keith McGill who I've been looking at all along. Big corner at 6'3 could be a 4th round pick or later. May not contribute right away, but we need those big guys to compete with the big WRs.

January 21st, 2014, 11:29 am
RIP Killer

kdsberman wrote:

When Baltimore won their first SB, they ran a 4-3 taking advantage of Ray Lewis who was able to cover the whole field with his speed. As he got older, they shifted towards a 3-4 under Rex Ryan but never fully committed to it.

Baltimore today runs a hybrid scheme but IMO it is still based in the 3-4, Suggs is their top pass rusher, but he lines up as a true DE most of the time when I have watched them. It will be interested to see what the Lions look to do at the OLB spot this offseason.

My guess is that the Lions will run more of a hybrid based in the 4-3. Most of the DL they have are versatile enough to run either scheme. Is the wide-9 dead? Well they kept Washburn and Kocurek to work with the DL who put pressure on the QB last year and did a much better job against the run as well.

January 21st, 2014, 12:20 pm
Profile WWW

Pablo wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

When Baltimore won their first SB, they ran a 4-3 taking advantage of Ray Lewis who was able to cover the whole field with his speed. As he got older, they shifted towards a 3-4 under Rex Ryan but never fully committed to it.

Baltimore today runs a hybrid scheme but IMO it is still based in the 3-4, Suggs is their top pass rusher, but he lines up as a true DE most of the time when I have watched them. It will be interested to see what the Lions look to do at the OLB spot this offseason.

My guess is that the Lions will run more of a hybrid based in the 4-3. Most of the DL they have are versatile enough to run either scheme. Is the wide-9 dead? Well they kept Washburn and Kocurek to work with the DL who put pressure on the QB last year and did a much better job against the run as well.

Mayhew and Caldwell confirmed at the Senior Bowl that the Wide 9 will still be around in some form. However, it was implied it won't be the base defense.

January 21st, 2014, 1:19 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Other article posted on the boards today says Austin wants an Aggressive "Never know what direction the pressure is coming from" defense. He doesnt believe in the simple "Line up in the same spot play after play" model, so sounds like a 4-3, and they may key on a strong OLB in the draft who can be our Blitzing LB (neither Levy or Tulloch is a fear creating blitzer) and then keep mixing in Safety, CB, OLB and zone blitzes along with Line Stunts. But the Base should be the 4-3, and as stated, not likely the wide-9 (hooray).

January 22nd, 2014, 1:30 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Team MVP

DJ-B wrote:
Other article posted on the boards today says Austin wants an Aggressive "Never know what direction the pressure is coming from" defense. He doesnt believe in the simple "Line up in the same spot play after play" model, so sounds like a 4-3, and they may key on a strong OLB in the draft who can be our Blitzing LB (neither Levy or Tulloch is a fear creating blitzer) and then keep mixing in Safety, CB, OLB and zone blitzes along with Line Stunts. But the Base should be the 4-3, and as stated, not likely the wide-9 (hooray).

Give me some Khalil Mack!

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

January 23rd, 2014, 7:51 pm

It's really amazing how few 4-3 DEs are projected to be first round picks. Has this ever happened before?

February 17th, 2014, 11:30 am
Team MVP

thelomasbrowns wrote:
It's really amazing how few 4-3 DEs are projected to be first round picks. Has this ever happened before?

Im sure that'll change after the combine, but you're right its pretty strange.

February 17th, 2014, 4:22 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

May be short on 1st rounders, but the overall depth of the position is decent. Other positions, such as OT's (6) and WR (6-7) have an abundance of potential 1st rounders this year, depending on your take or what talent boards you believe in. The position that's really thin on 1st round talent is CB's, although I would like the Lions taking one of the bigger corners to develop in the middle rounds. With the release of Delmas (which I didn't mind), I believe drafting a S in the 1st becomes a possibility if the player they want is gone. Not sure that Pryor or Dix is worthy of such a high pick though. Maybe after a trade back if possible. Depending on how the top talent falls we might be choosing between a OT, LB, 2nd best WR, or the top TE.

After further thought, maybe a Safety at 10 wouldn't be such a reach. Posting the following analysis from NFL.com

Overview

Pryor might be the most physical football player in the entire draft. Against the run, he is very quick to diagnose and he explodes to the alley. He takes correct angles and he doesn't need to gear down before securing the tackle. He uncoils his hips on contact and he's produced several impressive hits this season. Against the pass, he has the instincts and ball skills to play over the top, and he has enough speed/agility to match up in man coverage. He's a complete safety.

Analysis

Strengths
Very good instincts. Physical, lights-out hitter (see second defensive snap of UCF game). Very aggressive running the alley and seeks to make his presence felt in the run game. Sacrifices his body. Defensive tempo-setter. Made a spectacular, one-handed INT vs. UCF. Good pre-snap recognition -- makes adjustments. Explosive tackler. Can leverage the field off the hash and cover ground. Good zone recognition. Rangy enough to play center field. Carries a swagger and plays with confidence.

Weaknesses

Plays with too much reckless abandon and lacks discipline playing the cutback. Takes some bad angles and can be outflanked to the perimeter. Average production on the ball. Is not asked to play a lot of man coverage.

NFL Comparison
Earl Thomas

Bottom Line

A big, physical, hammering run defender brings an enforcer mentality to the box and an intimidating, punishing presence to the back end. Is arguably the most violent hitter in this year's draft class and should make his presence felt readily in the pros.
-Nolan Nawrocki

February 17th, 2014, 7:41 pm
Team MVP

Liontrax beat me to it on Pryor.

Calvin Pryor is one of my favorite guys in this draft and I would love if the lions took him. My dream scenario right now would be to trade back and take Pryor round 1 then Austin Seferian-Jenkins round 2..or trade up to get him.

Picking at 10 kinda sucks because they already said there's no chance they'll pursue a rushing linebacker in the off season, eliminating Barr or Mack. We dont need a RT. I dont see a CB worth taking at 10. So I think our best bet is to take a WR if we don't address that in free agency, or trade back.

February 18th, 2014, 6:16 am
QB Coach

I still really want Sammy Watkins. He will be the #2 we need. Unfortunately with his fast 40 time today, he will be gone no later than the Raiders pick at 5. The Rams and the Bucs also might take him.

February 23rd, 2014, 2:53 pm
RIP Killer

Rather trade back 7-10 spots and pick up an extra 3rd. After Watkins, I don't see the #10 overall value at wr

February 23rd, 2014, 3:13 pm
Team MVP

conversion02 wrote:
Rather trade back 7-10 spots and pick up an extra 3rd. After Watkins, I don't see the #10 overall value at wr

Id be okay with Evans, as long as he is professional and is a hard worker. Hoping Manziels party first attitude didnt rub off on Evans. If not Watkins or Evans, I like Calvin Pryor at 10. Normally, I would say Id be all for them trading up for Watkins, because he is EXACTLY what this offense needs, but with our glaring needs at FS, C, and potentially TE, trading up wouldnt be wise. Then again, they could fill some of these in FA.

February 23rd, 2014, 4:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next