View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 22nd, 2014, 7:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Rumored New Cap 
Varsity Captain

Post Rumored New Cap
Haven't been able to verify this but KFFL is reporting that the cap for 2014 will be $130 mil.

What will this do for us, considering the recent cuts and the reports that the Lions are close to signing a long term deal with Suh? I don't know for what but I'm sure it will be cap friendly.

Just read that the number will be $132mil. KFFL again. I will probably change 5 or 9 more times :-k

February 21st, 2014, 9:43 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Post Re: Rumored New Cap
Word on the street is that it's actually going to be $132! Now more than ever, I say we bite the bullet on Suh this year and extend him in the next offseason (if he fits in Austin's system). Will give us a lot more flexibility going forward.

February 25th, 2014, 11:12 pm
QB Coach

Problem with the cap going up and up is that now the free agents will be expecting more since there is more money to spend.

February 25th, 2014, 11:30 pm
Div 1 - Starter

there was a report that the cap could actually be "a few million" higher than 132mil.

heres the link: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/25/source-cap-will-be-higher-than-132-million/

February 26th, 2014, 12:12 am
NFL Veteran

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Word on the street is that it's actually going to be $132! Now more than ever, I say we bite the bullet on Suh this year and extend him in the next offseason (if he fits in Austin's system). Will give us a lot more flexibility going forward.

The Franchise tag will be too high for Suh, so this is the final year the Lions can extend him. I also don't see how you could ever say Suh doesn't fit a system. He can play at virtually every spot on the defense line in a 3-4 or 4-3.

February 26th, 2014, 12:15 am
Rookie Player of the Year

Open up that checkbook Mr. Ford!

February 28th, 2014, 12:33 pm
RIP Killer

Unfortunately, the lions have about $9M in cap space...they won't be writing any big checks this offseason, unless you count the $17+ owed to staff in his SB

February 28th, 2014, 9:52 pm
QB Coach

I think we've got about $10M, but about half of that will go towards signing our draft class. A Suh extension could give us about $10M more in space, but even then with the cap being higher than expected, the FAs are going to want even more money. We can probably add two-three mid level guys or one upper level guy.

March 1st, 2014, 9:23 am
Player of the Year - Defense

The lovely thing about the cap system is that because of signing bonuses, they can defer money to later and then due to the contracts not being guaranteed, they don't have to pay anything except that deferred cash. 10 or even 5 million will go a long way. And with the cap deal, it's going to go up about 10 million per season at least for the next 2 seasons.

March 1st, 2014, 9:49 am
QB Coach

Last year we got Reggie Bush and Glover Quinn to sign and they each had cap hits of only $2M that year (add in Jason Jones if you want his hit was also about $2M so $6M for 3 starters.) Both Quinn and Bush jumped to about $4.5M this year. With the cap increase, signing two players the level of Quinn and Bush even with a friendly contract like they signed will cost us at minimum $5M of cap space this year. There goes the rest of our current space. If Suh extends, we could probably add two more solid guys.

From Draft and FA we need K, backup QB, 2Wrs, TE, FB, Center to groom behind Dom, oline depth, 1-2 DE, OLB, CB and S. Lets say we have another stellar draft and add 4 contributors/starters that leaves us with 8-10 players to add. I know we can add players at these spots, but what quality of guys will we be able to bring in?

It'll be interesting to see what kind of strategy our new staff brings.

March 1st, 2014, 11:33 am
NFL Veteran

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Last year we got Reggie Bush and Glover Quinn to sign and they each had cap hits of only $2M that year (add in Jason Jones if you want his hit was also about $2M so $6M for 3 starters.) Both Quinn and Bush jumped to about $4.5M this year. With the cap increase, signing two players the level of Quinn and Bush even with a friendly contract like they signed will cost us at minimum $5M of cap space this year. There goes the rest of our current space. If Suh extends, we could probably add two more solid guys.

From Draft and FA we need K, backup QB, 2Wrs, TE, FB, Center to groom behind Dom, oline depth, 1-2 DE, OLB, CB and S. Lets say we have another stellar draft and add 4 contributors/starters that leaves us with 8-10 players to add. I know we can add players at these spots, but what quality of guys will we be able to bring in?

It'll be interesting to see what kind of strategy our new staff brings.

No one upgrades all their holes in the off-season unless they are already a top team. They already have 2 kickers they like on future contracts and FBs can be added incredibly cheap. There is a good chance the Lions just continue with Harris and Austin as the back-up OC/OGs since they have yet to release Harris and he's got a $2M cap hit. Harris will probably stay on the team until they find a new OC prospect and if they don't he will remain into the season. DB is a place we all would really like to see upgraded and probably will see some additions, but they could go into the season with Carey at FS while adding depth along with a new CB. They could also do the opposite and upgrade safety while only finding a cheap veteran to add to the CBs. WR could easily get by with one new addition and having Durham and Ross fill out the 3-4WR spots. If the Lions continue to focus on nickle packages OLB may be ignored and DE only needs 1 body for depth. TE needs to be addressed for sure, but it's common to see low tier starting TEs sign very cheap in FA and they should have good depth with Fauria and Williams. Back up QB is the real big question mark because it's just as likely for Hill to stay at a cheap price as it is for him to just leave for spot starter type of price. I think he actually just stays for a very reasonable price since he is at the very end of his career and I don't really fall into the thinking that a team would want to poach him given how little he's played in the last 3 years. Hill has thrown 16 passes in 3 years, there is almost no recent film on him for another team to look at.

The Lions have 6-7 draft picks and probably around 6.5M-6M in cap space before a Suh extenstion to fill out depth and upgrade 3-4 spots. It's well within their ability to have a good roster going into the season even if they don't extend Suh and if they do get a deal done they may have another hype filled off-season.

March 1st, 2014, 12:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]