View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 20th, 2014, 1:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 2014 Released Players now FAs 
RIP Killer

Post 2014 Released Players now FAs
Let's keep track of released players here...

February 27th, 2014, 12:23 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Post Re: 2014 Released Players now FAs
D'Qwell Jackson

Since the end of the season, the Cleveland Browns have bid farewell to their head coach, general manager, CEO and now the heartbeat of their defense.

Linebacker D'Qwell Jackson, due a $4.1 million roster bonus on March 15, was cut by the Browns, according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Jackson signed a five-year extension a year ago worth $42.5 million, which included $19 million in guarantees and bonuses. He also was slated to make $3.93 million in base salary this season, along with salaries of $7.73 million and $7 million, respectively, for 2015 and 2016.

Jackson issued a statement after finding out he'd been cut:

To the people of Cleveland and Browns fans everywhere: 8 years ago I began a journey that blessed me with the opportunity to be a part of a wonderful organization and community. I want to take this time to thank each and every one of you for opening your arms and hearts to my family and I, and for making Cleveland an easy place to love and call home. Its been an honor playing in front of you.

I also would like to thank the Browns players, coaches, and staff for their tireless work and commitment. From the bottom of my heart, I thank you all and will always carry you with me.

Thanks,
D'Qwell Jackson

New head coach Mike Pettine was asked about Jackson's future and refused to comment but praised Jackson for his respect and work ethic in the locker room. Jackson said late last season he'd be absolutely shocked if he wasn't back in 2014.

Jackson appeared to want to be a part of the never-ending rebuilding process in Cleveland and hinted he might be open to redo his deal to return. But there apparently was not enough wiggle room on either side to find that common ground, and Jackson — one of the more beloved players in the Browns' locker room in his past eight seasons there — was set free.

February 27th, 2014, 12:24 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Falcons Safety Thomas DeCoud

The Atlanta Falcons appear set to move on from one of their most consistent defenders over the last several seasons.

According to Adam Caplan of ESPN.com, the Falcons are expected to release safety Thomas DeCoud prior to March 15, which is the fourth day of the new league year.

DeCoud has played in all but one game for the Falcons over the last five seasons. DeCoud earned a trip to the Pro Bowl in 2012 with 76 tackles and six interceptions. However, last season was statistically his worst in the league since assuming a starting role in 2009. DeCoud failed to record an interception and posted just 65 tackles, his fewest as a starter.

The move will free up $3 million in cap space for the Falcons. The move would leave William Moore as the only safety with significant experience on Atlanta’s roster. DeCoud’s release will likely force the Falcons to look for a replacement in free agency or the draft.

February 27th, 2014, 12:26 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Captain

Vontae Leach was released by the Ravens today. There's been talk about putting the FB back in the Lions' offense. Could we do better?

February 27th, 2014, 7:35 pm
RIP Killer

DENVER -- Champ Bailey didn't get that Super Bowl ring with the Denver Broncos.

Now, the perennial Pro Bowler may have to go elsewhere for another chance.

The Broncos are expected to release Bailey, sources told FOX Sports 1 NFL Insider Alex Marvez and The Associated Press on Wednesday night.

By letting go of Bailey, the Broncos would open up cap space, with the 12-time Pro Bowl player scheduled to make around $10 million next season.

This was a trying 15th season for Bailey, one in which he missed 11 games because of a nagging left foot sprain that he originally hurt in the preseason on Aug. 17 in Seattle. The 35-year-old corner returned late in the season to help the Broncos advance to the Super Bowl, where they lost 43-8 to the Seattle Seahawks last month.

Bailey has been so dependable on the outside for Denver since his arrival in 2004, when the Washington Redskins dealt him for running back Clinton Portis. Bailey has been among that rare group of elite cornerbacks that quarterbacks thought twice about challenging him.

With good reason, too. Bailey leads all cornerbacks with 52 interceptions since he broke into the league as a rookie in 1999.

As the years have passed, QBs started testing him more and more. That was evident in the playoff game against Baltimore after the 2012 season, when Bailey got burned twice for long touchdowns.

With that performance came the inevitable whispers that maybe it was time for him to move to safety or even to the slot position.

Only, Bailey wasn't ready for that kind of move. Not yet, anyway.

After his foot injury, though, Bailey really had no choice but to move inside, playing well, too, as he earned his first trip to the Super Bowl.

Bailey came close to a Super Bowl with Denver during the 2005 season as well. He even had one of his more memorable moments in the division playoff game that year, when he intercepted Tom Brady and returned it 100 yards down the sideline. He got chased down a yard short of the touchdown. But it was a game-changing play and the Broncos won. They had home-field advantage the next week, only to lose to Pittsburgh.

While Peyton Manning was the undisputed leader of the offense, Bailey held a similar role on the defensive side. He always took the younger cornerbacks under his wing, too, teaching them little tricks and grooming them to possibly take over one day.

Upon hearing the news of Bailey's impending release, Broncos cornerback Chris Harris posted on his Twitter account: "Blessed to be able lineup opposite Champ and learn from a Great. Will def be missed."

Harris wasn't the only Denver defensive back turning to Twitter to give a shout-out to Bailey. David Bruton posted: "5 years with Champ! Can't believe 1 of the greatest is no longer here. Learned more than u can imagine from him. More than a teammate 4 sure."

With free agency on the horizon, the Broncos have some work to do in the defensive backfield. It could start with working out a deal with Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, who's set to become a free agent after a solid first season in Denver.

March 6th, 2014, 10:06 am
Profile WWW
QB Coach

Hester is out in Chicago too!

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

March 6th, 2014, 4:50 pm
RIP Killer

WarEr4Christ wrote:
Hester is out in Chicago too!

I believe he was already a free agent, Chicago has just said they don't plan to try to resign him.

March 6th, 2014, 5:42 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Captain

Lamarr Woodley will be released tomorrow. Take a shot?

March 10th, 2014, 3:33 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Boz wrote:
Lamarr Woodley will be released tomorrow. Take a shot?

At what position? Doesn't fit at LB does he?

March 10th, 2014, 5:41 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

I wouldn't even bother talking to Woodley at this stage in his career. He is on the downward slide and is likely looking for one last pay day. I would put my money on Cleveland, New England, or Denver as the top landing spots unless another team drops some serious coin in his lap. The Lions need LB help but I'm not a fan of the FA market at that position and hope the upgrades come in the draft or after June 1st cuts.

March 10th, 2014, 6:27 pm
Heisman Winner

DeMarcus Ware :shock:

March 11th, 2014, 4:37 pm
RIP Killer

yostevo wrote:
DeMarcus Ware :shock:

Not surprising down here, especially given their cap situation and the fact he wasn't going to take a big paycut. He was phenomenal when they ran a 3-4 as and OLB thru 2012, struggled in a DE role in the 4-3 last year. Part of that might be due to the fact that he turned 31 in 2013 and had a host of injury problems. I'd be real surprised if he signs with a 4-3 defense.

March 11th, 2014, 4:57 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

2012 first round draft pick cut... Still can't believe they drafted this guy in round one, two years in the league and he is already 30 years old!

Quote:
Browns cut Brandon Weeden

Brandon Weeden’s days in Cleveland have come to an end, officially.

The Browns announced on Wednesday afternoon that Weeden has been released.

Weeden, a first-round draft pick in 2012, has been a major disappointment while playing for a dysfunctional Browns franchise. He was a disappointment as a 15-game starter his rookie year and was every bit as bad in his second season, in 2013, when both Brian Hoyer and Jason Campbell were more effective running the Browns’ offense than Weeden was.

Although the Jaguars were able to finagle a sixth-round pick from the 49ers for Blaine Gabbert, Weeden wouldn’t even attract that kind of compensation. The Browns won’t get anything for him.

Now the question is whether Weeden can catch on anywhere else. Some team might let him compete for a backup job, but just two years after he was a first-round draft pick, it’s entirely possible that Weeden has thrown his last NFL pass.

March 14th, 2014, 11:25 am
Profile WWW
Baton Girl

Titans cut kicker Rob Bironas. Sounds like it was for money and that he has lost some distance over the last few years but has remained fairly accurate on FG.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10633 ... ob-bironas

March 20th, 2014, 7:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]