View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 30th, 2014, 2:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Lions showing "Strong" interest in WR Sammy Watkins 
Heisman Winner

Post Lions showing "Strong" interest in WR Sammy Watkins
I also have strong interest in Kate Upton and I'm sure she will be there if I close my eyes and count to 10.

Report: Lions have strong interest in Watkins

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports the Lions are showing a "ton" of interest in Clemson WR Sammy Watkins.

Rapsheet punctuated his report by putting "TON" in all caps. The Lions have an embarrassing lack of receiver talent behind Calvin Johnson, but Watkins is unlikely to fall to No. 10. That means Detroit would have to trade up to land the draft's top receiver, and that would be unwise for a team with needs all over.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter via Rotoworld

Mar 6 - 2:39 PM

March 6th, 2014, 8:02 pm
Team MVP

Post Re: Lions showing "Strong" interest in WR Sammy Watkins
Some would say not to look too much into this, but i honestly believe they really do have a "TON" of interest. In all honesty, who wouldnt? Watkins is a superstar plain and simple. He would be awesome in Detroit and would instantly take pressure off of Calvin. He also could step into a #1 role without a problem. He's what Joe Lombardi wants in a WR. He's got good size and is fast. He runs great routes, catches the ball very well, and is physical. He wants to dominate on the field. If he were a Lion (and both him and Calvin stay healthy) you can forget about having a WR be a top priority for a while. Very, VERY intriguing hearing this.

Now, with that said..

The Lions, AS OF RIGHT NOW, before knowing who our FA acquisitions will be, would be foolish to move up. If they moved up to acquire Watkins, you can pretty much forget about filling holes at CB, C, FS, TE. I would say it would take , depending on how far they'd have to move up, my guess is at least in front of Cleveland, this years 1st, 2nd, and maybe next years 2nd or 3rd? To me, it would not be a good idea and could set this team back considering we are still building and are not 1 player away.

On the other hand, if Suh can negotiate an extension and free up some cap space and the Lions can make a few good FA moves, like getting a starting FS, a WR3, and CB, id be OKAY with this.

I thought Atlanta was dumb for moving that far up to get Julio after just allowing a ton of points to Green Bay, thinking they needed more offense? Well it worked for them, even though they sucked this past year.

Another way to look at this is this: The more and more I think about it, the more I think Mike Evans might not even be there at 10. So who do we take assuming we dont trade back? I dont like any of the CBs at 10. Think maybe a FS is too high (maybe not), So do they bite the bullet and make WR a strength of this team? I mean, this is a passing league. Denver dominated with their passing game this year even though they got killed in the SB.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 6th, 2014, 8:48 pm
Veteran General Manager

I like Mike Evans a little more than I like Watkins. Both would accomplish the same goal in Detroit. After them, I like Kelvin Benjamin and Odell Beckham. Any one of the 4 will do the trick.

March 6th, 2014, 9:04 pm
Team MVP

BillySims wrote:
I like Mike Evans a little more than I like Watkins. Both would accomplish the same goal in Detroit. After them, I like Kelvin Benjamin and Odell Beckham. Any one of the 4 will do the trick.

You like Evans more than Watkins??? I want to hear the reasons for this one.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

March 6th, 2014, 9:16 pm
Veteran General Manager

kdsberman wrote:
BillySims wrote:

Leaping ability plus his size. Given his combine numbers: it was pointed out that if you placed Evans in front of and Centered on a typical Garage door and threw the ball anywhere between the door posts and above the floor and slightly above the roof line, Evens is catching that ball. He also looked the smoothest of all WR's catching balls at the Combines.

Besides that, why get all geeked about a guy that won't be available when we draft?
I am totally against trading up for anyone but Clowney. And that's if he somehow slips to pick 6.

March 6th, 2014, 9:34 pm
Team MVP

BillySims wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
BillySims wrote:

Leaping ability plus his size. Given his combine numbers: it was pointed out that if you placed Evans in front of and Centered on a typical Garage door and threw the ball anywhere between the door posts and above the floor and slightly above the roof line, Evens is catching that ball. He also looked the smoothest of all WR's catching balls at the Combines.

Besides that, why get all geeked about a guy that won't be available when we draft?
I am totally against trading up for anyone but Clowney. And that's if he somehow slips to pick 6.

Sorry not to sound like "YOU ARE WRONG", i was just curious as to why you preferred Evans over Watkins.

You must have been watching Sports Science. I hate that show. Everyone they do a test on they make it sound like they are a super hero. "He has as much power as the space shuttle" or "He has just as much acceleration as a cheetah" etc

I can see the Lions trading up. I really can. And I can see the outraged fans too. And Ill understand their argument. But if they can fill some holes with "real" starters in FA, id be okay with the trade up, as long as they didnt give up the farm.

March 6th, 2014, 9:49 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Evans is better than Mike Williams coming out of college but I can see him being pedestrian in the NFL compared to what he looked like in college. In college he had a freakish size advantage against most of the DBs he faced and wasn't consistently challenged. Even with that advantage he wasn't that impressive at getting separation and getting open. There were numerous times in his career where Manziel had nothing until then started running around until coverage broke down and Evans would get open or catch a prayer that Manziel threw up. That just is not going to happen in the NFL. If the Lions were to draft him I'd hope for him to have a great career but I think he might just be another guy in the NFL that has a big game every now and then.

I would rather have him than see the Lions trade away this and next year's draft for Watkins. At this point as much as WR is a major concern I'd rather they waited to see if they could land Matthews with their 2nd rounder or Moncrief in the 3rd round. Moncrief is a little more of a project but I can see Matthews stepping right in and being a very productive player in the NFL. Matthews reminds me of a bigger Marvin Harrison with his ability to run routes, get open, and come down with the ball.

March 6th, 2014, 10:16 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

kdsberman wrote:
Some would say not to look too much into this, but i honestly believe they really do have a "TON" of interest. In all honesty, who wouldnt? Watkins is a superstar plain and simple. He would be awesome in Detroit and would instantly take pressure off of Calvin. He also could step into a #1 role without a problem. He's what Joe Lombardi wants in a WR. He's got good size and is fast. He runs great routes, catches the ball very well, and is physical. He wants to dominate on the field. If he were a Lion (and both him and Calvin stay healthy) you can forget about having a WR be a top priority for a while. Very, VERY intriguing hearing this.

Now, with that said..

The Lions, AS OF RIGHT NOW, before knowing who our FA acquisitions will be, would be foolish to move up. If they moved up to acquire Watkins, you can pretty much forget about filling holes at CB, C, FS, TE. I would say it would take , depending on how far they'd have to move up, my guess is at least in front of Cleveland, this years 1st, 2nd, and maybe next years 2nd or 3rd? To me, it would not be a good idea and could set this team back considering we are still building and are not 1 player away.

On the other hand, if Suh can negotiate an extension and free up some cap space and the Lions can make a few good FA moves, like getting a starting FS, a WR3, and CB, id be OKAY with this.

I thought Atlanta was dumb for moving that far up to get Julio after just allowing a ton of points to Green Bay, thinking they needed more offense? Well it worked for them, even though they sucked this past year.

Another way to look at this is this: The more and more I think about it, the more I think Mike Evans might not even be there at 10. So who do we take assuming we dont trade back? I dont like any of the CBs at 10. Think maybe a FS is too high (maybe not), So do they bite the bullet and make WR a strength of this team? I mean, this is a passing league. Denver dominated with their passing game this year even though they got killed in the SB.

Lions need to do their due diligence to investigate all possibilities prior to draft. What if there is an early run on QB's and LT's? That could take 6 to 8 picks off the board. Seems highly unlikely to me, but you never know. When you factor in Clowney, Mack, Barr, and the possibility of somebody wanting Gilbert or Dennard in the first 9. It could happen. Or maybe it's just smoke.

Have to agree with your statement " Lions would be foolish to move up "

The cost would be too steep. Rather they trade back and get more picks in a draft as deep as this. I would like them to plug as many holes with free agents as they can afford. Hate to rely on rookies to efficiently fill starting positions.

There's alot of talented receivers in this draft. We need someone to accentuate our passing game, we already have our #1.
Think many of the other WR's in the draft could fill the requirement. Evans could be a match-up nightmare for opposing D's. My personal favorite is Brandin Cooks, but 10th is way to high. Also fond of Donte Moncrief who could be there in the 2nd, doubt he will last to the 3rd. Also like Odell Beckham, but he looks to be a late 1 to early 2 at this point. The one I hope they don't take is Benjamin, looks like Mike Williams to me.

March 6th, 2014, 10:40 pm
Water Boy

If Watkins lasted until pick 5 I think moving up and swapping picks with the raiders would only take pick 10 and at most our 2nd round, maybe you even get them to take pick 10 and our 3rd. Heck last year they traded with Miami giving up pick 2, and only got in return pick 12 and Miami's 2nd rounder.

Not sure I really like the thought of giving up the 2nd but if they would take the 3rd rounder then yeah I would say its worth it to get Watkins.

Of course the draft is a ways away, still have to see what we do in FA as others have mentioned and also see if there are any comp picks on the way.

March 7th, 2014, 7:59 am
Veteran General Manager

munch107 wrote:
If Watkins lasted until pick 5 I think moving up and swapping picks with the raiders would only take pick 10 and at most our 2nd round, maybe you even get them to take pick 10 and our 3rd. Heck last year they traded with Miami giving up pick 2, and only got in return pick 12 and Miami's 2nd rounder.

Not sure I really like the thought of giving up the 2nd but if they would take the 3rd rounder then yeah I would say its worth it to get Watkins.

Of course the draft is a ways away, still have to see what we do in FA as others have mentioned and also see if there are any comp picks on the way.

I don't understand the sentiment to trade up and give away draft picks in this, the deepest draft of our lifetimes. I understand it if the draft didn't have any depth. Trade up and make sure you get 1 of ghe good ones. But, there were 120 juniors that entered this draft. Add that to the normal seniors.
Experts have suggested that if you judge the talent in this draft to that of a normal draft, there is 1st round talent that will last half way through the 2nd round. 2nd round talent will stretch all the way into the beginning of the 4th round. There is going to be UFA's that, in a normal draft, would have been 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th round picks.

We are only seeking a #2 WR here. We do not need to give away any of our picks to get that.

March 7th, 2014, 9:13 am
Pop Warner Vet

I agree about not wanting Kelvin Benjamin, I am a die hard Noles fan but the 2012 season he did not have good hands

March 7th, 2014, 1:47 pm
RIP Killer

Can't believe I'm about to type this, but I totally agree with what Billy said!

Although, I'm still not sure what "ghe" means! :lol:

March 7th, 2014, 1:50 pm
Profile WWW
Player of the Year - Defense

I wouldn't overlook it as a possibility because it's not just a #2, but a #2 that in 3 years could step in as a #1. While deep, there's not many that can fit that bill.

Realistically, we're looking at needing a #2 WR, Safety, C, CB, 1 OT depth, 1 LB, and a DE if Young leaves. Backup QB, K, and half of those needs could be addressed in FA instead of the draft, so you don't need to hold onto al 7-8 draft picks if you can get your guy. And with the young talent we have on the team, you don't know that anyone drafted or signed in FA will definitely be better.

Let's face it... if we have all these gaping holes in the roster, than you're saying it wasn't coaching that was the issue the last 2 years. And it most definitely was. The team has the talent to compete and win, but they were badly coached and the play calling was terrible at times. The defense played solid most of the time and it'd be hard to argue that had the offense not been so stagnant at times, it would have been more than enough to win more games.

Let's face it, you need a dynamic playmaker to draw attention away from CJ. Just being good isn't going to make defenses change their defenses they use when CJ is on the field. And it's going to take that type of change to keep team from beating up CJ and shortening his career. I'm not saying that any other receiver wouldn't be able to be used by the new coaches to accomplish it, but if you have a chance to get the best, you better damn well think hard about it.

March 7th, 2014, 2:31 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I wouldn't be upset with a trade up. I understand when people say we have too many holes to fill but we failed last season due to the offense. This would be filling the teams biggest hole with the best player in the draft. In the 2 games without CJ, we could barely move the ball past the 50. Everyone thinks this draft is so deep at WR and we could find someone later to fill the need at WR but I remember last year when the thought was that we could get a #2 WR in the second rd yet after TEN traded up ahead of us for Jason Hunter, we were kind of left with our cheeks in the wind.

KDS used the Julio Jones example and I think trading up for us makes more sense for us than it did for them. Our defense is much better than their's was, our O-line is better. the trade worked for them because they essentially covered up their holes with points and I'd be OK with that. As far as other holes on the team I can see James Ihidegbo or Chris Clemons joining us in FA, Stan Jean-Baptiste, Bradley Roby, Phil Gaines, and Dontae Johnson could all be decent options at CB later in the draft and we still don't know what Slay and Greenwood are capable of.

March 7th, 2014, 3:09 pm
RIP Killer

How did it work out for the Falcons who traded up for a very good Julio Jones a couple of years ago after finishing 13-3 and needing a compliment to White? They fell to 4-12 last year.

I don't care who they draft, teams are still going to focus on stopping Megatron. Do you think if we line up Watkins vs. Evans vs. Lee it drastically changes a DC's scheme? I like Watkins but not for a 1, 2 and 4 most likely to get into top 5 range.

njroar - you state all these needs the team has, that should point the team to either stay put or trade down for more picks - not less. Even so, I would argue that many of the positions you point out aren't huge needs as you might, but still hanging onto picks and building depth would be the responsible thing to do.

C - Dom coming off his best year
CB - still have Houston, Slay, and a host of young corners
OT - two very young starting OTs, just looking at depth here and Hilliard is fine for that
LB - Tully and Levy play the bulk of the snaps, the 3rd LB plays a limited role and have some on roster
DE - two solid rookies returning from last year, still have Jason Jones as well

I'll give you #2 WR and safety (although Carey did OK last year IMO) as big needs, backup QB and kicker can be addressed whenever but certainly not early in the draft if at all.

And this is all before FA. They are just over $10M under the cap right now, last year the Lions got Quin, Jones and Bush for about $8M.

March 7th, 2014, 3:22 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next