View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 1st, 2014, 10:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Lions showing "Strong" interest in WR Sammy Watkins 
Player of the Year - Defense

Post Re: Lions showing "Strong" interest in WR Sammy Watkins
No, I agree that they aren't huge needs. LB might be because we don't know how the new DC is going to run the back 7. We might see 3rd LB in the mix more.

Also, the Atlanta trade was bad for many reasons. They weren't a WR away and anyone that paid attention would have said their defense was going to be a problem, but opposite us, there's had issues up front. Even with the corners they had, no one can cover forever when you have no pass rush. And that's where their issue was. There's a big difference in what you'd have to give up from trading from 10 to the late 20's.

March 7th, 2014, 5:45 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Pablo wrote:
How did it work out for the Falcons who traded up for a very good Julio Jones a couple of years ago after finishing 13-3 and needing a compliment to White? They fell to 4-12 last year.

I don't care who they draft, teams are still going to focus on stopping Megatron. Do you think if we line up Watkins vs. Evans vs. Lee it drastically changes a DC's scheme? I like Watkins but not for a 1, 2 and 4 most likely to get into top 5 range.

njroar - you state all these needs the team has, that should point the team to either stay put or trade down for more picks - not less. Even so, I would argue that many of the positions you point out aren't huge needs as you might, but still hanging onto picks and building depth would be the responsible thing to do.

C - Dom coming off his best year
CB - still have Houston, Slay, and a host of young corners
OT - two very young starting OTs, just looking at depth here and Hilliard is fine for that
LB - Tully and Levy play the bulk of the snaps, the 3rd LB plays a limited role and have some on roster
DE - two solid rookies returning from last year, still have Jason Jones as well

I'll give you #2 WR and safety (although Carey did OK last year IMO) as big needs, backup QB and kicker can be addressed whenever but certainly not early in the draft if at all.

And this is all before FA. They are just over $10M under the cap right now, last year the Lions got Quin, Jones and Bush for about $8M.

Good points all Pablo. Kind of like looking at the glass half full. Actually made me feel pretty good about the Lions potential for next season, but then I look at the road schedule and go " Oh chit ".
My current point of view is to stand pat, and depending on what our choices are, I currently would favor taking the most dynamic TE (Ebron) over the next best WR. Think he could make a bigger splash in our offense his rookie year.

March 7th, 2014, 6:49 pm
Div 1 - Starter

About the only way the Lions can guarantee getting Watkins is to move up to the #2 spot, and they don't have the picks to pull that off.

I'm hoping Mike Evans is there at #10. Every weak point in his game can be coached up, and when the ball is in the air he's a freaking beast.

Imagine Megatron, Fauria, and Evans in the red zone.

March 7th, 2014, 10:58 pm
Team MVP

I wouldnt be happy if they took Ebron at 10. Too high for a TE in my opinion. If i knew he was the next Jimmy Graham, sure. I still like Austin Seferian Jenkins and think he can be had in the 2nd.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 8th, 2014, 9:31 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

kdsberman wrote:
I wouldnt be happy if they took Ebron at 10. Too high for a TE in my opinion. If i knew he was the next Jimmy Graham, sure. I still like Austin Seferian Jenkins and think he can be had in the 2nd.

The only reason for me thinking Ebron is if Pettigrew is not retained, and Watkins and Mack are gone. Suppose I could mention Gilbert as a possibility as well if he's still there. Getting back to TE's, the last time one was drafted top ten was Vernon Davis with the 6th pick. Just thinking out loud on different scenario's. I'm not as high on WR Mike Evans as most, and if there's no early run on QB's, he may not be there either.

March 8th, 2014, 2:35 pm
Team MVP

liontrax wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

The only reason for me thinking Ebron is if Pettigrew is not retained, and Watkins and Mack are gone. Suppose I could mention Gilbert as a possibility as well if he's still there. Getting back to TE's, the last time one was drafted top ten was Vernon Davis with the 6th pick. Just thinking out loud on different scenario's. I'm not as high on WR Mike Evans as most, and if there's no early run on QB's, he may not be there either.

That is a good point. IF those guys are gone including Evans and Pett isn't re-signed I probably would be okay with Ebron.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

March 8th, 2014, 2:42 pm
NFL Veteran

kdsberman wrote:
liontrax wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

That is a good point. IF those guys are gone including Evans and Pett isn't re-signed I probably would be okay with Ebron.

I would almost demand they pick Ebron if Watkins, Evans, and Mack are all gone plus letting Pett walk. I like Gilbert and the 2 safeties, but I just don't see those guys making as much of an impact this and next season as a top tier athlete at TE would. A CB is almost a sure thing to not have an effect early and I'm not so sure the 2 safeties would drastically change the defense from what Carey will give them next to Quinn.

March 8th, 2014, 11:09 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Pablo wrote:
Can't believe I'm about to type this, but I totally agree with what Billy said!

Although, I'm still not sure what "ghe" means! :lol:

ghe = a smart phones the. LOL.

March 8th, 2014, 11:25 pm
Team MVP

BillySims wrote:
Pablo wrote:

Must be an android phone.

March 9th, 2014, 8:30 am
Hall of Fame Player

kdsberman wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Pablo wrote:

Must be an android phone.

Nope. iphone 4S.

March 9th, 2014, 10:31 am
Team MVP

Sammy Watkins posted a picture of him in a "Watkins" Lions jersey, #88. Apparently he did the same with Tampa Bay and St. Louis, but still...

March 10th, 2014, 3:52 pm
RIP Killer

si.com wrote:
2014 NFL draft rumors: Detroit Lions considering trade up for Sammy Watkins

The Detroit Lions have been very vocal about adding a true No. 2 wide receiver to the roster during the 2014 offseason, and it appears their interest in doing so could eventually affect their plans in the upcoming NFL draft.

Detroit has been linked to Clemson Tigers star wide receiver Sammy Watkins in previous weeks, and the latest buzz seems to indicate that the interest is real.

Bleacher Report’s Matt Miller is reporting that league sources believe Watkins is climbing draft boards and could emerge as a top-three pick in the 2014 NFL draft, and that the Lions are considering a move up to snag him.

To move up from the No. 10 spot, Detroit would have to package multiple first-round selections, much like the Atlanta Falcons did when they moved up to select Julio Jones back in 2011. Atlanta traded five selections to move up 21 spots. Detroit would not have to give up as many premium picks, but it would still be a pricey move.

However, if you have the opportunity to pair a player like Watkins with Calvin Johnson, who many consider the top receiver in the league, it is something worth strongly considering.

Detroit will just have to determine whether or not having another offensive weapon will trump the rest of their needs.

March 11th, 2014, 8:59 am
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

Pablo wrote:
si.com wrote:
2014 NFL draft rumors: Detroit Lions considering trade up for Sammy Watkins

The Detroit Lions have been very vocal about adding a true No. 2 wide receiver to the roster during the 2014 offseason, and it appears their interest in doing so could eventually affect their plans in the upcoming NFL draft.

Detroit has been linked to Clemson Tigers star wide receiver Sammy Watkins in previous weeks, and the latest buzz seems to indicate that the interest is real.

Bleacher Report’s Matt Miller is reporting that league sources believe Watkins is climbing draft boards and could emerge as a top-three pick in the 2014 NFL draft, and that the Lions are considering a move up to snag him.

To move up from the No. 10 spot, Detroit would have to package multiple first-round selections, much like the Atlanta Falcons did when they moved up to select Julio Jones back in 2011. Atlanta traded five selections to move up 21 spots. Detroit would not have to give up as many premium picks, but it would still be a pricey move.

However, if you have the opportunity to pair a player like Watkins with Calvin Johnson, who many consider the top receiver in the league, it is something worth strongly considering.

Detroit will just have to determine whether or not having another offensive weapon will trump the rest of their needs.

Depending on what next years draft is looking like, I might be more inclined to give next years 1st away as opposed to any of this years early rounds. We already know this years draft is deep and talented. So, if we had to give double 1's to move to the 2nd or 3rd pick for Sammy I'd be OK with that. If Watkins is still there at 5 (Oakland), then I have trouble giving next years 1st. But if you stop and think, is this a slam dunk pick? Is he really that much better than all the other wide-outs? Especially in a year with so many WR's on the board. The smarter approach might be to trade back, get one of the other 1st to early 2nd round receivers, then take another in the middle rounds.

March 11th, 2014, 10:10 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I love how they say we would have to trade a package similar to the Julio deal (bad deal), when just last year someone traded from 12 to 3 (or was it 2?) for I believe 1 Extra pick.

Im not arguing what the actual cost would be, quality of this draft vs last year, etc, but that comment is still asinine.

March 11th, 2014, 11:09 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Team MVP

DJ-B wrote:
I love how they say we would have to trade a package similar to the Julio deal (bad deal), when just last year someone traded from 12 to 3 (or was it 2?) for I believe 1 Extra pick.

Im not arguing what the actual cost would be, quality of this draft vs last year, etc, but that comment is still asinine.

Im glad you said that because I was thinking the same thing, just couldnt think who the team was. I think all they gave up was a 3rd if im not mistaken.

Edited to add: It was Miami, and they traded a second rounder.

March 11th, 2014, 11:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next